Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

wow...

Damages were estimated at: equipment, $4,932,528; track and structures, $392,000; no damage to signals.

also:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Bolognious Assault posted:

What does the guy in this video mean by "can't stop a train"? It looks like it stopped okay to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HsbTeFu_0g

Can someone explain what's happening in this video? Particularly curious about the message displayed on the terminal towards the end.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

one more

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

People often don't grasp just how big... the Big Boy is.

Photo - Joe Fontana
Model - Karyn Karabec
MUAH - Cheryl Crist

From a set of shots that a friend of mine did out at Steamtown in Scranton, PA. Check out more here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150423223554031.388230.85440539030&type=3

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

trouser chili posted:

There's gotta be some sort of forced perspective going on here, the top of the rail is nearly at her knee. Not that I'm saying the big boy is small but the perspective makes her look 3 foot 5.

The rail might be taller than usual, and I believe the ballast slopes down pretty drastically, but the wheels are 5.5' wide. I had a hard time believing it was real as well. Plus, the fact that the plumbing goes halfway up the tank kind of makes you feel like you're looking at the undercarriage of the thing. Plus, I believe the sharpness of the picture does a bit of a reverse-tilt-shift type of effect.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

This is exactly what you think it is

AWESOME

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

CharlesM posted:

I thought we had pictures earlier in this thread of a locomotive that suffered a similar impact?

This one?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 7, 2012

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Our own Zach Parsons wrote a book about bizarre WWII military inventions called My Tank is Fight. Pretty sure this gets a chapter in it.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Wow, that's pretty intense, but certainly worth watching, if only to :monocle: at the line "The coach [car] bent in half"

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

edit: didn't realize that was what you were linking to already

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I was out trying to grab some early-morning photographs along the river when this rolled by.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Veins McGee posted:

Hudson River? Pretty sure that is in New York state since that train is somewhere in northern Ohio right now.

Yup, on the West side of the Hudson, across from Poughkeepsie.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I posted this before, but it warrants reposting. The Big Boy is Big.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Here's a picture of a choo choo I took this morning:

Highland, NY, across from Poughkeepsie, heading North at 9:08am

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I have Trainz on my iPad. It's a pretty clunky port of the PC version to a touchscreen interface, but it's fun to dick around in, and has (for the most part) kept me from sinking thousands of dollars into an actual model train layout in my basement.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

It was a Metro North train, though they share the tracks with Amtrak. Metro North goes as far north as Poughkeepsie, while Amtrak continues on up to Albany and parts beyond. Pretty nasty wreck, though could have been a whole heck of a lot worse had it been on a weekday.

edit: One of my friends posted this
http://myinwood.net/the-spuyten-duyvil-railroad-disaster-of-1882/

which is worth a look if only because of this:

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 2, 2013

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Just wanted to make sure everyone got a chance to see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86PUB4u2s2A

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

TheCoach posted:

Lithuanian train post.

Hope this post was worth it...

Absolutely, very cool. Thanks for sharing.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Thank you very much for the info, everyone.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

We just had a pretty gnarly derailment in Newburgh, NY. Doesn't looks like anyone is hurt and nothing got spilled, but this'll take a while to tidy up.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/2017/03/07/train-derailed-newburgh-police/98865806/

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

That must've made quite a sound

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I grabbed this shot on my way to work this morning. CSX #5382 heading North along the River Line in Highland, NY (opposite Poughkeepsie).

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

That's the spot!
edit: that little back-and-forth section on the North side of the bridge is pretty lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I used to have a fairly large n scale layout in my basement, but I found that temperature variations really affected the tracks to the point where I just couldn’t run anything in the winter without poo poo derailing all over the place. I still might do another layout, but it’ll be a small switching layout I can control via jmri or something.