Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrChips posted:

it would literally cost a trillion dollars.
So like a year/year-and-half of armed forces money. Welcome to America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Brother Jonathan posted:

82 mph in a 30 mph curve, and the engineer had twenty years of experience.
It's fascinating watching everyone poo poo a collective brick when rail is still probably a couple orders of magnitude safer per passenger mile.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

If it costs money, we dont want to do it.
Ding ding! Look at the UK for a perfect example of what money-driven rail infrastructure management gets you.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you're wondering what it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V250_%28train%29

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

They probably underbid everyone else and governments love that poo poo.
It's how they got the dutch/belgian contract. They said they could make a 250kph system for cheaper than siemens and alstom could make a 220kph, having never produced a high speed setup on their own before.

This is all after the DSB debacle got well underway, so there's really no excuse.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 7, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That seems 100% par for the uk rail course.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Train friends what's dis machine?

http://www.mingor.net/images-large/kewdale-rail-building-2011.JPG

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks for the info!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Post war british engineering is a thing to behold.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqZwDTToH5o
This is why we can't have nice transit things in the US.
Did that with 2 kids in the back too. gently caress's the matter with US drivers.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I've been in a train as it hit a car and you legit don't feel a thing, that's the extent of the energy differential. Sure felt the emergency braking though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Axeman Jim if you didn't exist someone (not british) would have to invent you.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jim, don't be a nancy and write the drat post. It'll be funny, which is all we can really ask for.

Also Mahmoud is literally hitler

E: :-]

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also, ansaldobreda.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Literally designed to crush pedestrians and get derailed by vehicle collisions.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Graceful degradation wasn't in the design brief, or got dropped under budgetary/delivery pressure? Nobody act surprised!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

He's a railroad CEO, of course he would.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Holy loving hell that first car got annihilated.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ijustam posted:

Did it take a bunch of people dying to convince railroads that x is a bad idea?
X being whatever braindead cost cutting measure they've ever dreamed up

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I love the thought of people with dubious driving ed barreling next to the unprotected bike lane. They drive 7% of kilometers but are responsible for a third of cyclist fatalities.

In the UK foreign drivers also kept killing people on the highway cause they couldn't/wouldn't check the right side blind spot.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Hahaha even British Rail wouldn't be dumb enough to order AnsaldoBreda products.

:catstare:
At last count the Fyra debacle cost the dutch railways like 770M euros.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That stupid welding helmet probably saved a bunch of bones in his face too. What a moron.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

B4Ctom1 posted:

Yep

Manager: "were you running smart consist?"

Man: "yes as required by the Superintendent Bulletin"

Manager: "what were you doing when the train broke in two?"

Man: "watching the smart consist break the train in two.'

Manager: "why didn't you intervene?"

Man: "I have already been written up for 'intervening' already."
What a lovely workplace.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Yeah, like this, I meant from the electric motors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz4U7l9x1wQ&t=35s
The dutch double-deck intercity coaches do that kind of thing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

PremiumSupport posted:

Video of the crash from both the lead power units, the actual collision occurs around the 2:35 mark: https://youtu.be/ZhraoVIJ1OE
I always forget how anemic train brakes are. He's got the e-brakes on and he's losing maybe 1mph/s.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

lol

Show me a way to slow down over a mile of 80+ ton train cars faster, that is actually feasible in the real world.
I'm not saying they're purposefully under engineered, it's just shocking how little influence they have on their speed.

NoWake posted:

As far as obvious goes, I think the 'Schwellenpflug' trumps retro-rockets:

Why not both?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 8, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

Momentum is a hell of a thing. And inertia.
Uh-hu. And no mechanical grip whatsoever.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

On the flipmode, how are (modern) trains in the Netherlands so drat quiet? I've been on Acela, Amtrak Silver service, and UK West Coast and they were all loud or at least not quiet, while on every Dutch train I felt self-conscious about the tack-tack-tack noise the iPhone keyboard made before I muted it.
All the trains you've been on are shitshows basically. If want to experience good comfy trains your options are basically france (only the high speed stuff, though some of the regional lines have slowly started improving their stock), germany and switzerland, IME. Their might be others, but I haven't experienced them first hand. Once the rail is actually maintained and the cars have proper suspension it's p easy to make it a pleasant experience.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, usually what I see on the news are poo poo-tons of people on the roofs because the cars are so packed.
That's usually only around holidays, when everyone + dog is trying to get to their families.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 21, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Those nerds need to read up on flight guidelines. Current UAS’es are basically a pipeline of single points of failures, and using them near soft targets is a recipe for disaster.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Taking that at 80mph seems a little suicidal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

More stuff on that high speed fuckup:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...logy-was-ready/

Incompetence and greed are a flawless recipe

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

NoWake posted:

To have spring-operated brakes that require air pressure to release, you'd need each car to have an engine, compressor, battery and fuel, to make them reasonable to move around on a moment's notice. They also need the ability to sit in the same spot, in every kind of weather, full shade or full sun, for years on a storage track, and then be ready to go with next to no maintenance, so a lot of ancillary braking methods won't be both cost-effective and feasible.
Yes, better have a runaway every couple years.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

And once you've got the equipment wouldn't 30% increased lifespan be a pretty big improvement? I would be surprised if the cost of the ties was significant compared to the total cost of replacing them.
That’s generally not how American businesses work.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

Ahhh management. Gets a defined set of rules on how to fire someone who is in a union, whines when they get told to follow those rules.
It's always loving hilarious when they can't follow the most straight forward formulaic procedure.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

vains posted:

engineers, contrary to what they would have you believe, are the dumbest people on the planet.
Second only to the people who wrote the loving spec

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

I think the rod driven electric locomotives replicate the important cool parts well.

How could anyone look at this and not think "Hey lads how's about we put the loving motor on the axle next time eh?"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TheFluff posted:

e: I may actually have found a reason for the tie rods - apparently it was hard to make a gearbox that was durable enough to handle the torque.
That makes sense, especially if you want to drive a whole bunch of axles.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kilonum posted:

Is there an electric train equivalent to "foamer"?
Child

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Would you believe there's another corrupt Canadian company based in Quebec that is bad at rail?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/snc-lavalin-technical-evaluation-1.5438697

"The SNC-Lavalin bid failed to include a signalling and train control system, had no plan for snow removal and, at one point, appeared to believe the trains that run on the Trillium Line were electric, not diesel."

My good bitch what are you doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kilonum posted:

Nationalize all passenger rail
It's not just the nationalizing, it needs to be independent. The tech team on that project advised against giving them even the time of day, but they went ahead because *must buy lowest bidder guysssss* and here we are.
I'm so glad our regulations specify best value instead of lowest price. It makes it trivially easy to dismiss lowball shitbag bids.