Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Never realized how bendy railroad tracks are.

Капитальный ремонт ж.д. часть 6/8 - Выгрузка рельсовых плетей / Track repair 6/8 - Long rails 1 (18:35)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

vains posted:

i dont understand the fascination with wanting to ride a train to get somewhere.

I think the magic word with trains is "sleeper cabin". A friend took his family to northern Finland with a cartrain before Christmas. They drove their car to the station and loaded it in the train. Then they hopped in and spent the ride sleeping in their private cabin. I usually prefer trains for ~12 hour trips over plane. Less hassle than an airport, I can spend the trip sleeping instead of wasting several hours in the middle of the day.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

This could contain few interesting pictures, "Taking the Train from China to Switzerland (or How to Avoid Jet-Lag)". Currently four parts have been posted.

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

drunkill posted:

Ding ding ding

Old W class trams are finally getting out of storage after being sold to people and schools and towns.

https://twitter.com/9NewsMelb/status/1115531853912391681?s=19

Why does that green and yellow/beige colour scheme seem so common with trams? The older and newest generation of trams in Helsinki use exactly the same colours and I think some japanese trams have the same colours.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember seeing some photos of Helsinki trams and was 100% sure I recognised where they were until I looked at the street signs and realised they were definitely not in Melbourne.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki have the same colour scheme. Others like Toyama and Kumamoto use the same colours but different scheme. Then some have slightly different shade of yellow. Blackpool had double-decker trams in these colours! There are all sorts of colour schemes for trams, but this is the one that is shared widely. Was it used by the world's oldest tram line or something?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Few years back I had a 2 week vacation in Iceland. We drove around the whole island, total of 4400 kms, mostly on the Ring 1 main road. Majority of the bridges we came across during the trip were single lane. I understand that road is quite low traffic outside the few biggest cities, but how much can you really save compared to a dual lane bridge.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I recently went through a Star Trek marathon, and when watching the video-based Deep Space 9 after film-based The Next Generation, I really wished we could just feed all the high quality photos of the actors and sets to a neural net and have it reconstruct the series.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

biglads posted:

Pretty sure the Dutch Railway clocks (and maybe the French but my memory is more hazy here) have the same system of one revolution of the seconds hand taking 58 seconds and then a 'pause' at 12 o'clock.

I read the Wiki page and I question if that is the best way to implement that. Every minute the clock will show almost a minute wrong, before the minute hand moves. I feel it would be better if the second hand stops at 59, then it moves simultaneously with the minute hand.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

More Norfolk Southern. Is the cause more likely on the cars or track?

https://i.imgur.com/q7xlOsB.mp4

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Small adjustment to the rules. When the crew notices a problem, the previous operator they received it from pays the repair.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

It sounds like you didn't understand my point. When an operator receives a car they should thoroughly inspect it, because anything needing repairs will be paid by the previous operator. If they don't do the inspection the next operator will and they will foot the bill.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Since the floor space is such a problem with model railroads, has anyone done a track on the walls around a room?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Noosphere posted:

On to other things : according to the newspapers, last thursday, a wheel exploded on a freight car going through the Gotthard Base Tunnel (the Swiss Transportation Safety Investigation Board told the press today that they found wheel fragments several kilometres from where the train came to a stop). The end result is that 23 cars derailed at 100km/h as the train was going through the Faido multi-function station, which allows trains to switch from one tube to the next. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but the damage is spectacular, and the Gotthard tunnel will be shut for at least another week. Passenger trains and light domestic freight trains can go over the summit line, but all the heavy international freight is backed up from Genoa to Hamburg and back.

And this last picture shows why both tubes are shut down : the derailed wagon plowed through the pressure doors that separate the tubes.

What would it have required to prevent or reduce the destruction? From the information I've read the train passed inspection point right before the tunnel so the wheel broke inside. Would microphones or other vibration sensors attached to the rails at regular intervals worked? Or other microphones in the tunnel. Seems that most other detection equipment could only do spot checks and might leave too big gaps.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Noosphere posted:

Good questions. Unfortunately, I know nothing that hasn't been published in the press, and we received strict warnings not to speculate publically. Until the Swiss Transportation Safety Investigation Board (https://www.sust.admin.ch/en/stsb-homepage) publishes its findings, no other information will be forthcoming.

LimaBiker posted:

If the wheel was cracked, perhaps a wheel tapper (the guy who hits every wheel of the train with a long hammer) could've found it. Wheel tappers are rare in western europe, but you still find them on certain east european stations.

I'm not concerned with speculation, we can just take the current information as valid and assume the wheel failed suddenly. Even if it turns out to be incorrect and it could have been detected prefailure can we trust that a wheel or some other component can't failure until the train is well past the tunnel if has passed an inspection.

The question is more how to quickly detect a catastrophic failure. A microphone seems like a simple and cheap method with enough detection range. Something like infrared cameras are probably too expensive to install enough frequent intervals. At minimum it could record louder than usual noises and play them to human monitors. Assuming that derailment causes significantly louder or at least noticeably different noises than normal passage.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Minor crash, and then he tried hard to get crushed between the car door and electronics box.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Well assuming you don't see them getting flattened too often maybe it does help with the judgement.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Speaking of color, is cream yellow and green some kind of traditional color for trams? That has been the color scheme for Helsinki trams, but I have also seen pictures of Japanese trams with identical coloring.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

That makes sense within US, but those most likely didn't end up in Helsinki, Melbourne or different Japanese cities.

Long lasting paint sounds like a good explanation. Yellow against sun light, green against road debris. But it still feels surprising that these colors would have such an advantage to be favoured so widely.

My initial thought was that some iconic tram city would have used these colors and work as an example, but I can't think of what city it could have been.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/NaqHhmE.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

The record for the world's longest train has been broken. The new holder is 30 kilometers long and can be found in eastern Ukraine. Russia found a new way to build a barricade.

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1756727579422187969

This raised a little discussion in the Cold War thread and stirred a question for me. If you tried to push from the side between cars with a tank or a bulldozer, would they have enough power to break the coupling connection?