Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

iyaayas01 posted:

TFR had (still has, really) a pestilence of My Little Pony/Brony/etc related avs...like literally over half the semi-regular posters in the forum had them at the height. We had no idea who was buying them (more than likely multiple people from outside, because we're talking literally well over $500 that were spent altogether) and no one has yet owned up to it. I had one until I got this lovely Air Force related one from GiP...but it still references my previous MLP related av from TFR.

What he said :(

I am definitely not animu. As soon as it completely blows over in TFR, maybe I will get something more/less disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
We have guidelines for running ECP trains. The only ECP trains we have are rare unit trains of all the same kind of car. I haven't seen one for a couple years now. I have seen even less of the ECP retrofit boxes on top of any of the control stands in a while either.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
On our mountainous district we only hate the ride, not the power they provide. Under heavy heavy loads and configured in DP they are just fine crawling up the hill for 4 hours at 14mph.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Nerobro posted:

The fans on top are radiators. The fans for the traction motors are mounted on the body, and blow down to the traction motors. IIRC. Their intakes are inside the body at least.
There is one other big fan. The mother of all fans. It is the dynamic braking grid fan. It is basically a 300-400 horsepower electric motor connected to what is basically the compressor fan from a jet engine. When modulating the dynamic brake effort it sounds like someone modulating the throttle on a jet engine.

Rabid Anti-Dentite! posted:

An incident with a production gang...two fatalities.

Rabid Anti-Dentite! posted:

Conductor and Engineer, The train hit the rider cars which were stopped at 45 mph. I never heard the full story so the only thing I can assume is a switch was either not lined or switched from power to hand and never thrown back.
This is one of 5 rear end incidents in 2011 that were as a result of train crews violating the very strict rule of "restricted speed".

"Restricted speed" is a rule written in blood. It is moving your train at a speed not to exceed 20 MPH but as slow as you need to go to be able to stop quickly to avoid switches lined the wrong way, derail devices, red flags, men, equipment, landslides, the rear end of other trains, even missing bridges, missing track, broken rail, a train or lading wrecked from one track over and onto your track.

If it as at night, foggy, a curve with terrain or anything else blocking your view, restricted speed could be less than 1 mph. If there is any question as to your ability to stop, then you may have the conductor walk ahead to ensure the way is clear and then bring you ahead, even if it is miles.

Failures to adhere to this rule resulted in these 5 incidents. Two of the incidents resulted in in the two man crew being killed (4 fatalities). At least one of the other incidents resulted in injuries and one of the incidents had no injuries.

The FRA has done a review and has required that additional training and testing on restricted speed will continue to be done. Failure of even one of these tests can result in being pulled from service/suspension of licenses.

A simple lapse of judgement, situational awareness, or distraction while moving a train at restricted speed can end your life or the lives of others. At any given moment day or night, there are probably 100 trains moving at restricted speed. Many/most of these trains are hauling hazardous materials in populated areas.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

ijustam posted:

Do Locomotives have to rev up the engine when the notch up in dynamic braking? Like if you went from notch 8 forward to dynamic, would you have to notch to 0, then hit the dynamic braking lever, and then back to 8?
You slowly notch down from power 8 to idle, wait/count 10 seconds to allow inductive discharge to drain down to keep the massive solenoids and circuits from being damaged from the inductive kick of the switchover. Then move to setup which is dynamic's version of the same "bottom" or zero notch as idle serves in the power notches. You can hear the relays clunking, see things happening on the indicators, then you begin putting it into dynamic. Dynamic's notches are not clicks like the power notches, it is a full analog variable load.

SGNL06 posted:

The engine will actually rev up as you increase DB effort. The main alternator is used to excite the fields in the traction motors, so with more excitation you get more braking effort out of the motors. That's how I understand it at least, I'm more mechanic than electrician.
This is correct. Exactly what he said. Just to be clear, as has been mentioned earlier, this dynamic braking effort energy is sent to the massive carbon piles (grid) that the massive fan I mentioned earlier is trying to super cool. The traction motors generating all the energy get very warm also.

Much of the engine spin-up you hear is related not only to the main alternator exciting the traction motor fields, and that big dynamic grid fan, but also many other fans or system of ducts from another fan to cool the 6 traction motors.

Often after stopping after descending a long grade in heavy dynamic, the engine will maintain a high RPM idle to continue the traction motor cooling process. Sometimes only 5 minutes, sometimes for 30 or 40 minutes.

SouthLAnd posted:

Is the high pitched "jet engine" sound in this video what you're referring to? I always thought it was turbocharger noise.

Still amazingly cool.

Perfect example. Yes that is what you are hearing. The concerto dei freni dinamici.(Apologies for possibly bad Italian).

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I had a spectacular failure last winter that damaged so much in the generator/alternator/electrical cabinet that it caused me to have to evacuate the train.

I placed my train into emergency (which broke it in two), hit the emergency shutdown for all the units, and we evacuated to the porch of a nearby porch of a closed hotel to take shelter from the 9 degree F temperatures and 45 mph winds.

Three fire departments showed up and had a hell of a time putting out the metal fire. The smoke was toxic.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 16, 2012

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
What is a foamer you ask?

This is a foamer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhYXNwvcl6A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c3NqnEX6vY

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Very old aerial picture of the Cheyenne, WY yard

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

That guy takes it above and beyond.

This summer, we were detouring over another RR because of all the flooding down south. So that really drug the foamers out. And then to add fuel to the fire, I had a consist of a UP engine, a patched Southern Pacific engine, and a patched CNW engine all on the head end. We were followed for roughly 170 some miles by the same group of people....

Also the new SD70ACe's are loving rattle traps. And I want to know the genius that thought it would be a good idea to stick the breakers in completely separate compartment on the outside of the engine.
The 8000 numbered ones will make your back hurt! :(

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Do you miss the brown seats? Because those black ones are killer on the back. The 4000's have a mix between brown and black.

Just brought brought down a 28,000 ton sand train. 189 cars, about 12,000 foot. Mostly short little sand cars though. drat thing would take off on you unless you were paying attention. 3 AC4400's in the front, 2 AC4400's in the middle and 2 AC4400's in the rear. I don't know if I spent more time on the throttle or setting up a fence to keep the train together. At one point my head end was cresting a hill, the middle portion was at the bottom of the hill and the rear end cresting a hog back.

At one point I had the head consist in notch 5, the middle in notch 3 and the rears in notch 5. Mountain guys have it so much easier. Either your in full power or full dynamic braking.
We had comfy brown ones on the SD70M (3900 to low 5000 series) but they were not durable.

We have these new brown ones that are also comfy. Hoping they are more durable.

It is my understanding that the black USSC seats are all done.They are being phased out as we speak. I am told the USSC CEO left the meeting telling him of this crying.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

ijustam posted:

Are the seats in locomotives air-ride like in trucks?

At any given time the railroad probably has numerous government and liability complaints about the safety of locomotive seats. Installing air ride seats would be the fix. ptting in air ride seats now would be a huge admittance of guilt on their part.

I read something a while back that a few new locomotives a while back came equipped with these seats and they quickly (and attempted secretly) to swap them out for non air ride seats.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.kearneyhub.com/news/local/article_76c980fc-71d4-11e1-a786-0019bb2963f4.html

The worlds biggest rail yard:

quote:

NORTH PLATTE - A pair of tornadoes in the North Platte, Neb., area Sunday night injured two people, damaged homes and other buildings, knocked over a semi on Interstate 80 and flipped 15 train cars in a Union Pacific rail yard, authorities said.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

If you work for the railroad its pretty well known that they openly hate their employees. I know most companies at least act like they care for you, but this place openly hates you. Your just a number and a liability. Do some reading on FELA (federal employees liability). Basically they just place any blame on the employee.

Honestly, most guys that work here hate the company but do love what they do for a living. I really do running engines, and there are not very many people that work for the railroad. If you want to do some reading, look up a book called Railroad Noir by Linda Neimann.

Oh and for people who are concerned about crappers, we do have them! The best ones are the air powered flushers, like a plane. They stay about the cleanest, the chemical toilets can get down right nasty... think porta potty style, but baking and sloshing around for a good couple of weeks.

Among rails, its very socially unacceptable to poop in the lead unit. Every one craps on the second unit. If you do, you end up with a nickname. And this is a place that remembers a nick name better than your real name.

Just read this
http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/osha/OSHA20120410.htm

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
From a railroader email I received I want to share with you guys.

quote:

The Union required an engineer to drive the inspection cars on and off of the rails, and a conductor and a flagman were also needed
to operate these special built cars. There was hardly any room left for the rest of us which is why it was equipped with three rows of seats.

those wheels are probably 40's .? This would be one helluva Ghetto Cruiser today...

this looks to be a converted school bus .??

whats with the cow catcher thingies'..??Oh & nice threads guys..!!!

maybe they had a midget that had to get on .? Or the conductor stood on those steps & yelled ALL ABOARRD...!!!

I wonder if its a HEMI car..?? Ya' Think..??Hey' Bias Plies'..?? Hmmm???

eat ur' heart out Floyd Cotterpin'...those rear wheels look like early Fenton mags'..

wats with those friggin mud flaps ?? and they're in the front of the wheels ??

whoaaa' can we say Beverly Hill-Billys'..?? Granny' Clampett sits on the front fender on thet thar padded seat, a lookin fer road kill' fer her famous " possum belly stew"..

One nice looking '35 Caddie' C' Dan...!!!

and the Purple car matches the friggin'Purple' station house..!! watswithatcrap..??

ooooo', I want it,I want it...!!! I believe its a '49 or '50 # 120..??

this bad boy has ALL the bells & whistles, even the original Packard hubcaps..!! I think I saw this one on the east side the other day

check out those 4- ' 50's "Buick" port holes on the front of the hood.??& the accessory chrome trim on the running boards..The "teekers" would kill for that &wats with those rear view mirrors? are they
seriously expecting something to pass them ??

this could be my favorite one an early Caddie'...!! Notice pleze' the bell & whistle'...Oh Yeh'...

one of those ghetto' cars with the teeny throw away spares on it & lowered via broken springs..?? wats with the scrub-brushes behind the wheels.?

ahhhh yes the Old # 99 Cummin in on track # 3... ALLLLL Abboooooorrrrdddddd...!!

the infamous "Presidential Rail Inspection Car" wheres the secret service dudes'..??

oh & the Old # 499 ,"the V-P's"'34 Buick,a somewhat famous Railway Inspection Car'of sorts??

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

9axle posted:

We went out the other night with an engineer trainee. We were stopped at a red, waiting on couple that were about an hour away when the engineer decided to crap in the lead engine. I jammed a brakestick against the door and left him there for the whole hour until we got a clear so he could enjoy his stench. He was apologetic and bought breakfast on the way home.

Had a similar situation, we did this to a conductor we know very well (known him since we were teens, camped with his family, been shooting/racing together). But he was only pissing down there and we used the switchbroom. But instead of being apologetic he was more.. apoplectic. Anyhow, later while underway as revenge he threw my fireman trainees favorite hat out the window and then threw my time book out and laughed angrily.

BTW, the old trick of putting a knuckle pin in a guy's bag is about to go the way of the dodo because they are now making them out of poly instead of steel.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Sponge! posted:

For _freight_ usage? If so polymer must have come a long way... On the flip-side there's probably several hundred thousand TONS of steel knuckle pins in service, which could be replaced by a few hundred tons of poly, with commensurate savings in fuel, eventually...

The knuckle hinge pin actually bears no load.

When the knuckle is closed and the other pin, the one that locks the knuckle closed, the drawbar, and the knuckle itself bear all the load. The whole thing works fine with no hinge pin installed at all.

The hinge pin is just an inert thing that bears only the pivotal load of the knuckles weight as it flips open or closed not any actual draft or buff force. Except for maybe when the knuckle fails and the pin can't bear the load and break away anyways.

http://www.google.com/patents/US5630519

On a separate item. The UPRR has hired social media monitors.

I was told by attorney reps at the recent union meeting that a UP employee was level 5 permanently terminated under the "conduct unbecoming" rule of the General Code of Operating Rules.

This was for posting information on his Facebook about his UP manager which he got from the newpaper police blotter. This post was caught by these new social media employees and forwarded to that manager to handle the termination.

I made my arguments to the attorney reps about how something that is a matter of public record can be terminable. The attorneys said the company can do whatever they want.

This is because the UPRR has stated their policy clearly enough that if fired, we could possibly have no recourse at a federal mediation law board to try to get our job back.

This would likely preclude any litigation for wrongful termination.

The railroad lobbies heavily in DC to ensure the federal law boards are unfunded/underfunded to make sure most of these are never mediated.

Here is the funny part.. these hearings also cover lots of considerations. Like where the railroad has without any good cause, refused to pay employees for work performed. For example you work 20 overtime hours and they say that you are not entitled to the pay for those hours. Then, as in some sort of twisted joke, take some of the money they did not pay these employees, and then use it to lobby to de-fund the mediation process further. :psyduck:

edit:
GENERAL CODE OF OPERATING RULES—Fifth Edition—April 3, 2005
http://www.utu1904.com/files/Download/GCOR%202005.pdf

quote:

1.6 Conduct

Employees must not be:
1. Careless of the safety of themselves or others.
2. Negligent.
3. Insubordinate.
4. Dishonest.
5. Immoral.
6. Quarrelsome.
or
7. Discourteous.

Any act of hostility, misconduct, or willful disregard or negligence affecting the interest of the company or its employees is cause for dismissal and must be reported. Indifference to duty or to the performance of duty will not be tolerated.

Edit #2:

quote:

1.9 Respect of Railroad Company

Employees must behave in such a way that the railroad will not be criticized for their actions.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 20, 2012

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

bytebark posted:

I work in freight car leasing. Reason the plastic knuckle pins came about in the first place is that the metal ones were falling out of the couplers on rotary-dump coal gondola, into the coal chute (while the car was being tipped) and would gently caress up the coal pulverizing mechanism that they use to break it up into smaller chunks.

On our end, any metal crap in coal is a big no-no. At the mine car loading facility, if the metal detector picks up any tiny metal that the magnets didn't pull, the conveyor shuts down and alarms. It isn't 100 percent, but it catches a lot.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I love this video. It reminds me of a jet plane on rails.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE4A0nPjyqQ

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
old news but funny news
http://www.tauntongazette.com/news/business_news/x530602459/Police-investigate-theft-of-railroad-tracks-in-Taunton-today-train-derailed

(thanks to Aphex)

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_6to6eRMos

(thanks to aphex)

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

ijustam posted:

I hope you hosed with him more.

When you gotta spend 20 years with a guy, its best to be resilient.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

InterceptorV8 posted:

We had someone snag the ECU for a couple of trucks in the yard (they were damaged)and nobody gave a gently caress until I informed them that each one carried a core charge of $1500 and someone just bought a new car with all the fund

Tell me more.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
This is the peak of insanity. The government is raiding my expensive retirement for itself.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

bytebark posted:

I get railroad retirement where I currently work. When interviewing for the job, it was one of the reasons I said I wanted to work there. The guy interviewing me just said "yeah, we'll see how long that lasts."

I got a letter from Wyoming Rep. Cynthia Lummis from a friend as a response to a request for information about her support for the new budget. In it she makes this statement:

quote:

The House Fiscal Year 2013 budget includes policy options that serve as examples of how to reach budgetary goals. As you are aware, one such policy option would conform Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits to be equal to Social Security benefits, a change that would affect only the Tier 1 early retirement benefit. This proposal would not affect those individuals in or near retirement. It is important to note that such policy options are illustrative, and would require subsequent legislative action.

The problem with this is that conforming my railroad retirement to social security would be like having the government pass a law to conform your personal expensive retirement, 401k, etc to social security. It saves them nothing, because they put nothing into it to begin with, I DO!

I pay a few times more than people pay into social security and now they only want to give me social security for my heavy contribution? The government puts nothing into it.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
via email:

quote:

https://www.bnsf.com/corpcomm/video/safety-briefings.html?file=/corpcomm/video/Wellington.flv&title=Wellington
This happened at the west end of Wellington, KS. The KC crew stopped the train at the yard office on main 2, the end of their trip. The Amarillo bound crew gets on and leaves town, not aware the last signal their train came by was yellow. Their first signal, not yet visible through the fog was red, because an eastbound was crossing over in front of them from main 2 to main 1. They got by the red signal, but got stopped just short of hitting the other train at the clearance point.

Would make me poo poo my pants. Remember your rules for being delayed in a block, especially at crew change locations. Big mistake taking off in the fog like that.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
We have cab signals too. But popping the reverser forward and seeing a proceed and then taking off hell bent for leather is suicide.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Looks stopped to me too. Dumb video.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

UP CCS are a joke. Where else can you fly by while the cab signals change, just acknowledge them, and continue at your current speed with out it being enforced.

I just find them kinda cheesy.

They come in pretty handy in the dead of winter when you cannot see the signals through the snow and fog.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
First of all, get off your loving camera/phone. You are pulling up to a red signal and your termination (of job or life!) could be on the other side of the signal, not really the best time to be unnecessarily multi-tasking.

As far as stopping the train, he repeatedly sets automatic brake and bails off afterwards. You are supposed to be bailing off (actuating) before and during automatic until it finishes blowing down.

This is done to prevent the locomotive independent brake cylinders from setting up even a little bit. This is especially true when the train is in full dynamic because it can cause the dynamic force to multiply and cause dangerous buff forces hat could throw light cars off the rail back in your train or even roll the rail under your locomotive.

His reason for not doing so is obvious, it takes one hand on each lever and his OTHER loving COCKHOOK IS RUNNING THE BLOODY CAMERA FOR HIS LITTLE FACEBOOK TWITS!

Im sorry, but this bothers me more than seeing only 1 in 10 auto drivers making a left against traffic off their drat phone at a intersection.

Piss poor decision making. If you really want to catch yourself performing tasks on a locomotive, make the conductor film, or set the camera up to work/hold itself.

bisticles posted:

Can someone explain what's happening in this video? Particularly curious about the message displayed on the terminal towards the end.

The message appears on the secondary control screen when you stop and center the handle. It used to be only for problems, but in the case of newer locomotives it is telling you the state of the AESS. The AESS is the Auto Engine Start Stop system. The locomotive will actually shut down after a pre-programmed amount time as soon as all of the systems have decided that it is safe to do so.

When you are ready to proceed it will restart and you will be on your way. This is because an idling locomotive uses more fuel that a diesel semi-truck running full bore.

The message you are seeing is the option to press the reset button to delay the process. There are situations where you might want to delay auto shutdown. Like so can keep it running for comfort (Air coditioning/Heat), or if you see that you are only going to be stopped for a moment, and want to save time from having to wait for the prime/start/ready to go sequence.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Captain Postal posted:

Not to be too much of a dick, but that's a poo poo-load of fuel to burn to run the AC. That's gotta be just about the most expensive bloody HVAC system there is. Do they seriously not have auxiliary power for this?

edit: and I also learnt a new word today. Thanks!

The messed up thing is they DO have it on diesel trucks. It keeps the engine and fuel warm, and runs the cab heat/AC.

The heat and AC are all electric on these locomotive, yet they cut off (supposedly) to keep the battery banks from dying down too far to start the engine. The messed up thing is some of these newer locomotives employ huge electric air compressors that never stop during shut down, plus some also restart using an air powered starter. Which means the cranking current needed isn't as big of a deal.

Let me tell you, when that air powered starter cranks that 16 cylinder (or V-12) engine up, it sounds like god's impact wrench freewheeling.

also this:

more posters

related to that video of the near hit redblock run I posted earlier

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Picture out of nowhere for noreason

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

We have one too
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=cheyenne,+wy&hl=en&ll=41.130417,-104.789466&spn=0.000544,0.001321&hnear=Cheyenne,+Laramie,+Wyoming&t=h&z=20

That has happened here as well.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I have a video to share. Please let me know if I did this right:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2Pzikk_x3PKWVpHZVAyX0lmUWc

Ok to rehost to share here on SA. Try to keep it here (yeah right).

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Sponge! posted:

You gone done it wrong son. :clint:

I fixed it for you. (And the rest of AI.) Hosted it for you on my own hosting. PM me if you need it deleted at any point in time.

http://www.kittenshateyou.com/SA/AI/Unnerving-Crossover.wmv

Edit:

What the hell is that place. It looks like Serious Industry happens there...

I have hosting too, but wasn't sure how it would respond to having an 88MB vid pulled over and over.

That is the east end of the Cheyenne yard, a very old and historic rail yard. There is a refinery adjacent to it. If you zoom out you will see there is another refinery of sorts to the west as well.

Also there is a smaller BNSF yard just to the north and west of it.

CommieGIR posted:

Oh Boy my current town!
Really?

also, "current"?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
This is horrible
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...xV0V_story.html

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Frag Viper posted:

Pictures of that 5942 dark territory accident. Cant believe no one was seriously injured.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/Locopicture.aspx?id=60760

For those who do not know this crash
http://www.outlawperformance.com/movies/cactus-texas-dark_territory-wreck.htm

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 18, 2012

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Wife showed me this link thismorning. It happened near where she grew up
http://www.cibolabeacon.com/news/breaking_news/train-derailment-near-thoreau/article_70cd490c-e36e-11e1-b8e9-0019bb2963f4.html

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
This happened to me recently. It was on my second locomotive. I was transitioning from braking to power. Something caught my eye in the side view mirror. A great deal of black (unburned fuel) smoke. I also noticed that the access panels were twisted. (this is the view from the mirror without the smoke)

So I stopped the train and stepped out the back door to head to the other locomotive to shut it down. I noticed how bad the panel door was twisted and how badly the handrails were bent outward. I went upwind of the smoke, avoiding the walkway for safety, walked all the way around to the front door and hit the fuel cutoff.

Once it was dead I could safely assess the damage. When I shut it down it wasn't even making any "expensive" sounds. Sounded like it was idling normally. The smoke had even begun to clear a little as it idled down when we stopped.

Honestly I think it was just a crankcase vapor ignition. Might have been caused by some sort failure to keep combustion out of the crankcase. Other than the cabinet doors, the only visible damage was the missing sheet metal inspection/access hatch.

I manhandled and tweaked the heavy 100 pound (45Kg) each doors back close enough to snap a few of the hasps closed. Reported it to the mechanical desk, dropped the breakers, and tagged/locked-out the fuel cut with a warning to my fellow Engineers "don't even think about starting this locomotive!"

The mechanical guy I talked to said that as long as the crankcase was open like that, the thing would have continued to smoke badly from all the extra unburned fuel out the stack because it could not make any boost pressure.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

KennyLoggins posted:

This looks like a whole lot of fun to deal with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txNMwminoiw

I have seen them do that locally with a mantis crane.

Like this one

http://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/used/mantis/30011-for-sale/1582402/detail/

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Gorilla Salad posted:

From the foamers discussion earlier I remembered this classic Onion News video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjuVVlSgYLc

It never gets old. I love that video.

Autistic Reporter posted:

Before the train came to a complete stop it ran over 3 trashbags, a piece of gum, a snickers wrapper, a man, and a glove..

That part always makes me lose it.