Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
If you are around Reno/Sac area...

http://www.wplives.org/

What's the big deal?

For $150 buck, you can run a train for an hour.

quote:

Our World Famous "Run-A-Locomotive" program allows you to rent a vintage diesel locomotive and operate it on the museum grounds, under the close supervision of your own private instructor. Income from locomotive rentals helps fund the restoration of our historic equipment.

The R-A-L program has three basic plans, all include private instruction from a qualified engineer:

Plan A - $150 for 1 hour
Switch Engine: USA 1857 (FM H12-44), WP 608 (EMD NW2), SP 1100 (EMD TR6A).
Plan B - $175 for 1 hour
Road Engine: WP 917D (EMD F7) or SP 2873 (EMD GP9)
Plan C - $275 for two hours
Switch Engine for the first hour and Road Engine for the second hour.
*Please note that while advanced reservations are strongly encouraged, walk-ins will be taken on a time available, first come first served basis, weather, personnel, and locomotive availability permitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

What train lines do you guys know about, or have heard about?

Like Nevada County Narrow Gauge was always known as the Never Come Never Go.

http://www.ncngrrmuseum.org/

Union Pacific was Uncle Pete

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I'm kinda wondering who makes good model trains now.

HO vs N scale.

FIGHT!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

~Coxy posted:

N is the best because you can have something vaguely approximating real towns, yards and main/branch lines.

HO is cool for its detail, scale and cost but even the largest home layouts look horribly cramped.

N scale is considered generally compatible with 1:144 scale for miniature wargaming.

Oh gently caress yeah.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sorry to quote from more than a month ago, but here's my photo criticism: for goodness sake stay the hell out of Trona oh my gosh it is the worst town on Earth.

You are mad because you had to play on their dirt football field aren't you?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

OK so who makes great N scale models? I might have some of my old HO poo poo in storage but I figure I need a new hobby that doesn't have me jerking off onto passing cars.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

auzdark posted:

I found this on my daily surfing on the internet, but I was not able to find a story for it, looks like a terrible case of buffer over run! (I always wanted to see what a train would do to a road haha)

Another fucker on the road not using their turn signals.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

If there are any problems the until alarm bell will sound.

Oil pressure gets low it does an auto shutdown.

Engine coolant temp gets too high the locomotive will stop or reduce loading, high idle cool down, or just shut down protectively if it runs out of water. This also goes for lube oil temps on some locomotives.

If crankcase pressure goes above a certain threshold then the locomotive shuts down immediately.

Oh it's good to know that they pull your gauges and give you a "OH gently caress" alarm as well. Trucks also have a auto-shut down. I'm pretty sure you can think why a 30 second alarm before engine shut-down is a Bad Idea®

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Apparently there is money in it:

http://www.paducahbilt.com/Pages/locos_wreck.asp

There is a trucking company in Nevada that got it's start, and still does, and has it's own railyard in WY doing tanker car repairs and refits.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Hopefully the engineer lived long enough to kick the everloving poo poo out of whoever hosed the dog on that one.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

More stupid Laws

Join the retarded law club! :haw:

What still gets my goat.

8 hours from bottle to throttle for pilots.

:psyduck:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ika posted:

I was driving south from tacoma WA a while back, and along the interstate there appeared to be many miles worth of abandened SP doublestacks. Is there any story behind that, it seems pretty wasteful to not sell/reuse those cars.

You should see the line of engines in L.A. out by Redlands. I swear there is 5 miles of Locomotives just sitting there. I've come across what looks to be grain bellydumps in the middle of LA almost to AR that had to be 8 miles on tracks that looked like hell. I kinda wonder what kind of crazy poo poo they have parked in the middle of Nevada.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Geoj posted:

People like that kill me. In 2005 in a city just north of where I live a 16 year old girl was killed at a railroad crossing when she attempted to cross immediately behind a southbound train and walked right into the path of a northbound train that through some freak occurrence happened to go through the crossing just as the other train was clearing it.

For about two weeks afterwards there were protests at the crossing every weekend with the protesters carrying signs saying "CSX kills kids" (etc.) and throwing rocks and eggs at trains as they passed through.

I'm wondering about the accident I saw yesterday in which someone ran into the rear end end of a Walmart truck. People don't understand how much this happens. Do people not look both ways before crossing a street? I'm surprised people figure out how to wide their own asses anymore.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

auzdark posted:

I'm pretty sure this video has been posted earlier in the thread...

In regards to crossings, there are hardly any in Australia where I drive around, the trains are all elevated across the roads until they hit the city, then its all underground.

Isn't that because you didn't have trains that long ago?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

MOMMY DADDY STOP FIGHTING!!!!!

Group hug please.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Wait, are they saying that the eye witnesses saw green, but they are all wrong?

With the money out there, I wouldn't be surprised if they could get an expert that says the light was pink and flashing purple.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

The NTSB report was posted in another thread a while back. The guy was sending text messages to high school kids (kinda creepy) up to a few seconds before they crashed. They also detail how it's extremely unlikely the light could have been green due to the way the electric system is designed.

I agree, trainspotters are kinda creepy.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Stupidity knows no bounds. I caught some kids on video crawling under an actively switching train at the MBTA station in Ayer, Massachusetts. Two of them crawled under it before I started filming then the other two followed them. Why? So they wouldn't have to walk 500 feet to cross the tracks on a nearby bridge or wait for the train to clear the crossing.

Link: http://youtu.be/5uXq0ZOQU1c?hd=1&t=3m34s

I saw you trying to zoom in on that girl there. :haw:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Russians will have giant loving robots before us.

Also Amtrak is completely falling apart in Nevada, first truckers start ramming them, then the other day I saw the Amtrak getting a tow from the oldest loving SP engine I've ever seen running on the main tracks, you know, working.

Why a single freight engine was moving the whole Amtrak train, I dunno, but it was lead engine. I guess that's a railroader's roadside service?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Anybody cruising through Reno? Watch out for the International tri-drive semi-truck/train engine working the gap between Fernley and Reno. First time I saw it I was like what the gently caress is he doing, then I noticed he's pushing some cars around.

They've really been working bunches through there. Not sure what Uncle Pete is up too, but I swear they just did a shitload of work there last year, and are redoing it all again.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

HA! I wish. They are bolted right to the floor.

Though the CN has about the best units... Most have microwaves and tea kettles. They are good for us sacks that are stuck cooking with turbo's

http://www.nebraska-locksmith.com/articles/ManifoldM.pdf

yes, we do that crap. I mostly have my food pre made and warm them up.

I can tell you have shitters in your engines, because no loving truck driver would be so loving insane to eat a meal like that and try to drive.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

If you work for the railroad its pretty well known that they openly hate their employees. I know most companies at least act like they care for you, but this place openly hates you. Your just a number and a liability. Do some reading on FELA (federal employees liability). Basically they just place any blame on the employee.

Honestly, most guys that work here hate the company but do love what they do for a living. I really do running engines, and there are not very many people that work for the railroad. If you want to do some reading, look up a book called Railroad Noir by Linda Neimann.

Oh and for people who are concerned about crappers, we do have them! The best ones are the air powered flushers, like a plane. They stay about the cleanest, the chemical toilets can get down right nasty... think porta potty style, but baking and sloshing around for a good couple of weeks.

Among rails, its very socially unacceptable to poop in the lead unit. Every one craps on the second unit. If you do, you end up with a nickname. And this is a place that remembers a nick name better than your real name.

Learn something new each day. That's kinda hosed up they don't at least clean them more than once a week.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

OSHA has been coming down hard on companies that gently caress with whistle blowers. OSHA nailed some rinky-dink trucking outfit in FL for firing a driver that wouldn't drive two trucks that should have been red tagged. $125,000 in damages, two years of wages, full reinstatement and the trucking company has to clean the drivers DAC.

I'm also guessing that's why you don't poo poo in the lead engine.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

On a separate item. The UPRR has hired social media monitors.

I was told by attorney reps at the recent union meeting that a UP employee was level 5 permanently terminated under the "conduct unbecoming" rule of the General Code of Operating Rules.

This was for posting information on his Facebook about his UP manager which he got from the newpaper police blotter. This post was caught by these new social media employees and forwarded to that manager to handle the termination.

I made my arguments to the attorney reps about how something that is a matter of public record can be terminable. The attorneys said the company can do whatever they want.

This is because the UPRR has stated their policy clearly enough that if fired, we could possibly have no recourse at a federal mediation law board to try to get our job back.

This would likely preclude any litigation for wrongful termination.

The railroad lobbies heavily in DC to ensure the federal law boards are unfunded/underfunded to make sure most of these are never mediated.

Here is the funny part.. these hearings also cover lots of considerations. Like where the railroad has without any good cause, refused to pay employees for work performed. For example you work 20 overtime hours and they say that you are not entitled to the pay for those hours. Then, as in some sort of twisted joke, take some of the money they did not pay these employees, and then use it to lobby to de-fund the mediation process further. :psyduck:

edit:
GENERAL CODE OF OPERATING RULES—Fifth Edition—April 3, 2005
http://www.utu1904.com/files/Download/GCOR%202005.pdf

Edit #2:

Don't you just love working in loophole land?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_6to6eRMos

(thanks to aphex)

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who has gone on a mindless rant about Yellow trucks being orange.

We had someone snag the ECU for a couple of trucks in the yard (they were damaged)and nobody gave a gently caress until I informed them that each one carried a core charge of $1500 and someone just bought a new car with all the fund.

Just goes to show, if it's not nailed down or on fire....still can't believe someone stole loving in use rails. Why didn't they just steal the tossed piles of rail connectors? And what the hell isn't steel only like 30 bucks a ton?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Boomer The Cannon posted:

It might be a museum down the road. They're only finishing phase 1 of 3 or 4, if I understand correctly.

The guy who owned it was a doctor of some sort and made a shitload of cash. He turned it into one short-line, which turned into 10 around Ohio/Pennsylvania and a shitload of cash, which he used to purchase steam locomotives for a tourist train. He sold said lines about 6 years ago and made yet another shitload of cash, which he turned into what you see here for his collection.

From what I've gathered, the plan is to open some sort of museum and rent out the equipment for excursion lines to use, like the Milwaukee 261 group in MN.

So, he is like the High King of Foamers.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

And he is stuck on the other side away from his truck?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Cockhooks.

Thank you for teaching me a new word today.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

9axle posted:

The brakes don't apply on the entire train all at once, there can be a significant delay between the front and rear. When the front slows significantly, and the rear is still moving at track speed, things can get exciting. The force can be enough to force the midle right off the tracks.

If the trainline emergency happens towards the rear, a train will rip itself apart as the rear slows and the front keeps moving. I have had to change knuckles when this happens, and occasionally it will rip a drawbar right out of the car.

Some types of cars, boxcars and autoracks have drawbars and couplers that slide in and out to help cushion the shock of starting and stopping. The amount of movement can be a couple of feet per car, so a long train can stretch or bunch significantly when starting or stopping. An engineer has to account for this, and be aware of what the rear of his train is doing as well as the head. Just because the head end is going up hill and losing speed doesn't mean you don't have a mile of train behind you going downhill and picking up speed. If there is a lot of slack between the cars, things can go bad.

So the brakes work like a normal car and not like a semi? Or it does both....maybe?

:psyduck:

You'd think that they might like a rear lock-up first because if it breaks the train up, it's replacing couplers instead of "well, this is going to take a couple of weeks with a plasma to cut apart a ball of steel that was once a train"

I loved that Calvin and Hobbes strip too, but you forgot the farmer lighting his stove at the same time.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Really, I was joking about Amtrak Intermodal guys.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Tex Avery posted:

I'm going to demand a refund if I don't want to blow my brains out after two hours. New Year's Day of 2011 was the coldest day on record in Williams, AZ, in quite a while. I was fireman on the regular train up to Grand Canyon, and the car we had that generated HEP for the train took a poo poo not too far out of Williams. My engineer and my conductor made the decision to fire up the onboard HEP gen on the F40 we were in and I got to spend the next two hours listening to that stupid thing scream all the drat way to Grand Canyon.

Did you make this?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

McDeth posted:

God drat truck drivers. I swear to god, half of them are mentally retarded and the other half seriously have me wondering...

Wanna guess how many cars and pick-ups I've seen hit trucks tough guy?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

McDeth posted:

I'm not talking about trucks vs. cars, I'm talking abou trucks vs. trains. How the gently caress does a truck driver manage to drive into the side of a train? Oblivious? Clinically blind?

How does someone not see they aren't clear of a truck and wrap themselves around the front of the truck causing a major accident? poo poo happens and people tard out. One truck v train accident has the problem of the truck completely centerpunched the train, UP said all the safety equipment of the crossing worked, yet somehow, the crossing arm on the side of the impact is still intact.

And the skidmarks show the truck remained completely in the lane until impact.

I mean, how do trains run into other trains? That has to take a lot more talent than anything else out there.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I've been through there before.

Holy crap indeed.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Yeap. 300 tonnes vs 10

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Argh! They broke her back. Don't worry, they'll just bend up some frame rail braces and buy about 500 pounds of welding rod.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Giblet Plus! posted:

Not really. The engine in the prius is connected in parallel to the wheels with the electric motor, through a planetary gearset.

http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

If you every hear so called "technical" people ripping on the prius, they are dumbasses. There is more clever tech in 1 prius than all musclecars from the 1960s.

That's really not saying much though. Most complex item on most 1960's cars or trucks was the three speed column shift linkage.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

Gah! How did I miss that :(

So do you tell the rookie drivers that when it snows they have to get out and chain?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

A long time ago, I would have thought, "that's bullshit" but after dealing with more and more LEOs, I can believe that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://youtu.be/6xSzU0oM4mM

Kinda neat! Closed tube station.