Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That's only slightly pricey for a limited run high detail complete passenger train in plastic. You should see what you'd pay for something like that in brass. Model railroading is not a cheap hobby. Check out some overland or sunset models sometime if you want to see expensive.

I've bought and driven cars for less than they are selling the loving engines for. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I think that art would make great art for the man room.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I have a question for you butt-nuts.

I've been seeing this for awhile and I don't know what it is really, or more like what they are doing. Two engines (mostly it's a UP up front and a SP behind) and only two cars. Hauling loving rear end. 99% of the time it's oil cans, but I've seen two like belly dump highwalls before. No idea what the gently caress they are doing but it's Nevada and I see them between Locklock and Fernley with this. Are they refueling something, but it doesn't explain why they are winding the train out.

Two engines, two cars, hauling rear end.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

It's just strange because it's the same two engines. I'm starting to wonder if they are moving fuel oil or something because we are a emergency area right now. Could be so much poo poo now that I think about it. Since it's Nevada, I'll just say Aliens.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its definitely a local job. Usually there is assigned power for locals. About what time and where at are you seeing these units? I can take a look on a train line up and see what they are doing.

I'm going to have to say about 3-430 Sunday around Lovelock NV, before crossing Highway 95 south. Might have been a couple of weeks since I saw them.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Zeether posted:

I just saw this picture on Tumblr with people saying "Oh my god, imagine how great this would be" and all I could think of was "This won't work at all and I can give a million reasons why":

I saw that they bypassed SLC headed out to Green River and crossed the rockies that way. That's when I stopped even looking at the map and wondered if they had any loving clue what they where thinking.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

So like a year/year-and-half of armed forces money. Welcome to America.

Do you even budget? It would be closer to two years of the complete defense budget period. Not including right-of-way and domain issues. It's like all the people screaming and yelling why doesn't America create more wind power like Spain, while completely ignoring the fact that we create 3x the amount of wind power of Spain, and in order to raise our percent as high as Spain we would have to even go over triple what we currently have in total and almost product 90% of the world's wind power up from 28%.

While it being neat and cute and all, I can't see spending 50% of the total US budget on a project that would serve so little, while adding a massive amount of upkeep to a overburdened system.

And why is loving Quincy IL so important it needs a spur?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yeah, I don't get the hate. Ok, so its not perfect, and might cost a bit of money. Screw it! I'll just take my car or a plane, which will totally be viable for the foreseeable future, regardless of fuel prices and availability!

Why is it such a bad idea to build redundant modes of transportation?

Because it would be cheaper to Greyhound?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

OK OK, a simple trip from LA to Chicago is going to be about 4.5 hours by air and cost you $200 (round trip). How much would you be willing to pay for train travel from LA to Chicago taking 3 times as long?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

How about in 30 years when the price of kerosene has quadrupled? Wouldn't it be nice if there was some other method of travel that didn't rely completely on fossil fuels?

http://youtu.be/ZfL4xKQeSfo

http://youtu.be/nLCmcV4gC_0

I have my hat picked out and everything.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Oh. We stick to lovely industrial leads. I put 2 engines on the ground yesterday... wide gauge track. Pretty awesome, the local managers came out, looked and go well, go pee in a cup then go home. Nothing like getting paid for a full day for only 3 hours worth of work.

Like...you dropped through the track?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

9axle posted:

And there is the problem. You are entitled to 10 hours of uninterrupted rest after you complete a shift. But you have no idea when the next call is coming for your next train. You don't know if you are going out as soon as your rest period is up, or is the next day.

Say you get done at noon. You are eligible to be called back to work at 10 pm, but you may not be called back until the following morning. Do you go right to bed, wake up at 8 or 9 pm, or stay up and go to bed at night?

What happens if you go right to bed, wake up at 8 or 9 and don't get called until 8 am? You have been up all night, are now tired and have to go to work. Or you go to bed in the evening, and 4 hours later the phone rings. You just never know, so even with a mandatory rest period, it is still really easy to get caught tired

Is planning really that loving hard?

People wonder why I'm happy to drive my "shorter" dedicated route now.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Saw a car vs train today out by Coal Canyon/Lovelock area. Looked to be a red Cadillac, I got some pictures, but I'll wait to upload them until I get home.

http://goo.gl/maps/Y1Pct

Hope it wasn't one of you guys.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Sorry for it being hard to see

What's left of the car is by the white truck to the left, the police where getting on scene as I shot this. Surprised this hasn't been in the news, at least I didn't read about it in the local papers, but car vs train, no surprise who won here. And the guy in the car died. Kinda surprised that they have at grade crossings without any warning signals at all. I wonder if the guy got too used to trains (well, the cars anyway) being their, because Uncle Pete has been using the derail (not pictured) as storage for the last 6 months.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I hope they hunt down all the trucks with the horns and confiscate them. I hate those loving things.

FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS.

Erwin posted:

I assume this is an error by the reporter, and that they're not actually lifting engines off the tracks for something that sounds like it could be replaced anywhere?

I was going to say that was a bit much, from reading this thread, I figured railroad did silly poo poo like patching airlines with ball point pens, like we do.

Tex Avery posted:

I USED to work for the Great Cockup of a Railway. Yes, it's loving horrendous. Yes, most everyone who is there knows it. I hate it. My wife, who is still a train attendant, hates it too.

Since we're on the subject, I'd advise everyone AGAINST riding that train. The parent company runs resorts, and GCRy is the only railway they own, and it shows. I was qualified in a wide variety of positions, and I was available 24/7, and they paid me the measly sum of $11.00 an hour. I barely made rent on that.

Huh, I know someone who worked/works on that as well. Don't you guys do the Santa Express thing? Also, why the gently caress don't you have a Tex Avery avatar, you lazy rear end.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

Crossing fatality dashcam :nms: for death thump.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=373_1366979875

Jesus Christ. I don't understand how, I mean couldn't you feel that through your feet? The train coming I mean.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I'M FUCKIN' OUTTA HERE!

What the gently caress happened here? I mean how did this happen?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Those are rails on those cars right?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Rabid Anti-Dentite! posted:

Yes Sir they are, heres how it looks from my angle unloading them.

Rabid Anti-Dentite! posted:

Another view, I believe they run about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile long. Sorry, preview showed the pictures the right way.

I think we are going to have you pee in a cup.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

So which one of you caused the scrap iron pile to get real big in Elko NV? At least they did it fairly close to the metal recyclers.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

How, uhh. What needs to... why? Fell off a truck, maybe?

Depending on where it happened, it could have flown there. I've seen porttashitters on those little trailers take off and go for a ride. Hell, about half a year ago somehow a FULL one was blowing down the interstate in Reno spreading joy and happiness everywhere.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

welp.. discuss
http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2013/130618.html

we were told locally through the hyperbole grapevine that the engineer that was violating his signals did it on purpose. It appeared that he had found out that his conductor he was working with (who was sleeping at impact) had been screwing his wife behind his back.

You'd think there would be easier ways to commit murder/suicide.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

That's why I don't deal with loving reefers anymore. You where always jumping around doing stupid poo poo at 3am then 9am then 8pm then whatever loving retarded hour they could pull out of their stupid asses. Having a set day not only keeps you mentally awake, it will stop people from falling over face first and having heart attacks at loving 40. Then again, I'd love to see the railguys have to put up with the Obamabreak® just to watch ya'll stroke out for a bit.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

We have Obamabreak. It is called the Rail Safety Improvement Act of 2008.

Heh, I'm talking about the 30 mintues shutdown time per 8 hours of being on duty. And don't forget, your 14 is still ticking while you are parked. I beat the clock by dropping a load, switching to personal transportation and bobtailing. Since I am not under load or a trailer, I'm just driving around in a giant pick-up. I wouldn't even want to know the clusterfuck that would happen if they said every 8 hours you had to shut the trains down for 30 minutes because that is safer.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Who is out busting rear end on the major work next to I-80 in Nevada? I know some of you guys were bidding on those jobs. Poor fuckers are going to get snowed on.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

In 45 minutes, the Bigboy is scheduled to arrive at its final destination in Cheyenne to much fanfare, but I am too tired to go see it, and I am scheduled to work again in a few hours and cannot afford to miss the trip.

Was the move easier to do because they are holding all traffic in Nevada at night?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Seems your hobos declared war on Winnemucca last night and tried to burn the place down.

http://silverpinyon.com/index.php/breaking-news/fires/4196-fast-moving-brush-fire-lights-up-nighttime-sky

So it's going to be a bit ugly for awhile there. How many horses do you guys smack between Fernley and Reno anyway? I've counted like 6 different herds in that area, and I'm sure I'm missing some.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://elkodaily.com/news/man-killed-in-train-vs-vehicle-accident/article_ab990476-f3ce-50a8-a567-7220d7bb117c.html

ELKO -- A man died Friday morning when his vehicle was struck by a train near Elburz, according to the Elko County Sheriff's Office.

Detective Sgt. Nick Czegledi said it appears the man was in his truck and got stuck on the train tracks. He was actively trying to get off the tracks when his truck was hit by a train, Czegledi said.

Although the man has not been identified, it is believed he is not from this area. He is a white male.

“If you get stuck on the tracks, get off right away,” Czegledi said. “Don’t try to get unstuck. It’s your life or your car.”

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I hope that at the very end there was single flat car loaded with a single pallet of kleenex.

That's almost as bad as me hauling a single broken floor buffer from Silver City NM to DFW TX.

God Bless Walmart.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

bytebark posted:

Since winter is getting close: http://video.pbs.org/video/2365218614/

Good mini-documentary on rotary snowplow operations on the UP through the Sierra Nevada.

http://www.wplives.org/index.html

These guys used to let you drive one if I remember right.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Rail...rican+railroads

From what I remember

Many railroads become insolvent/non competitive because
1-The ICC determined what rates the railroad could set
2-The ICC determined if a line could be abandoned
3-The other 3 modes of transportation were/are heavily subsidized by the government
4-Railroads weren't able to properly amortize their property to the benefit of state/local property taxes
5-Were forced to remain in the passenger business long after it was profitable(and subsidize it with their own increasingly unprofitable(due to ICC stranglehold and heavily subsidized competition) freight revenue)
6-Weren't able to extract many concessions with unions to eliminate/consolidate jobs after they were made unnecessary(crew size remained 5 until the mid 80s and 3 until sometime in the 90s).
7-Successful railroads were forced to absorb unprofitable ones(in order to continue rail service)

The railroads shot themselves in the foot a number of times but its not like Uncle Sugar came to save the day with totally clean hands.

It's like this is drat near everything that Uncle Sam gets his fingers in.

Complete clusterfuck.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

You guys get a new speed limit or something?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Well, you know those electronic brakes are SSSSOOOOO reliable :rolleyes:

Before any one says anything, electronic brakes require maintenance. The railroads absolutely detest maintaining anything unless it slows the money, at which point they will throw every dollar known to man at it.

These places make no sense.

Glad you fuckers are having the same fun as we are.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

MrChips posted:

That's the way I see it, the trucker shortage is exactly the same as the pilot shortage...it's not a personnel shortage, it's a pay shortage. There just aren't enough idiots out there willing to work for the money given.

Yeap.

There are companies out there right now trying to pay drivers .25 cents a mile. That's less than they paid drivers back in the '80s. I read somewhere that in the UK, they are now begging Pollacks to come work for them in the UK.

That's how economics works. The pay isn't worth the lifestyle, risks or personal liability. Its the kind of job first generation immigrants and really poor Americans do(purely anecdotal observation).

IE Port work. Not many people want to deal with Union slowdowns and loving idiots climbing over your rig and driving in LA or Oakland for the money.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

meltie posted:

Oh crap, that looks like a brake failure on the truck :(

Icy road?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

SybilVimes posted:

You mean europe where we try to minimize the number of crossings, even if that means spending more on building bridges and underpasses, which invariably means that the profits of the RoW companies goes down?

I dare you to try and count the at grade crossings along...say the Vale OR route to the sea. Which most of those you couldn't tunnel, and the bridges would have to be impressive because EQUIPMENT.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Well look at the metro link crash. 1 man in the cab.... I mean I know 2 eyes can gently caress up just as bad as 1 set... But it can at least reduce.

As long as the second isn't a complete retard, like Air France Flight 447.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Have you met the people I work with?

Same poo poo different name on the door I bet.

WOOP WOOP STALL WOOP WOOP STALL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECeKM1OvgYU

Oh god the fuckin' airbus is annoying as gently caress.

Don't they get mad when you put a toolbox on the "are you awake button"?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I hear grumblings from my yard jobs, but they're insulated from the retardation to an extent I guess.

What is absolutely absurd is seeing a guy that's just barely marked up instructing a guy fresh out of the REDI how to do the job. This is my new pet peeve because they're all clueless and slow.

So you guys work for CR England now or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Conductor is lucky to be alive. I can't see if hes riding the shove in or not but if he got burned then probably.

Truck drivers are the dumbest people on the planet. Dude was either on his cellphone or he was trying to save a minute by racing the train.

Negro please.

Welp, I'm never going to ride in a LNG rig, that low speed impact shouldn't have caused that big of a fireball.