Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Some Chinese diesel owned by the Iraqi National Railroad. My unit was based out of a train station in Western Iraq and this train passed through 4 or 5 times a week. The station, and I think the whole spur line, was built by the East Germans in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

Brother Jonathan posted:

Ah, CSX. The biggest collection of brilliant people who can't run a railroad.

Wait...I thought CSX was the good east coast Class 1 and NS was the bad one.

vains
May 26, 2004

Employed train people: I have an interview on Wednesday for a Mechanical Manager Trainee job at CSX. Any interview tips? I know safety is huge but what else? What can I expect to get asked?

edit: Don't mention any interest in trains whatsoever. I know that's big thing, too.

vains fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 15, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Actually the mechanical side of the railroad is pretty chill and relaxed. They are not nearly the Nazis that the transportation side is.

Just stress safety and dealing with people, maybe your mechanical knowledge. Just tell them that you want to work for a company that has a strong foundation and a good future.

In reality though, this is one of the few "life time employment" jobs left in this country. We really are blue collar workers with white collar wages, and that is pretty rare these days.

What do you even do on the mechanical side? Just repair and maintenance on cars and engines?

vains
May 26, 2004

bytebark posted:

Lots of times railroads will tell you to bring certain things to interviews. They'll phrase it like this: "Please bring the following things with you to your interview: A scientific calculator, three sheets of college-ruled notebook paper, and two sharpened #2 pencils." Do not disregard these instructions, and bring whatever they ask you to bring exactly as the instructions specify. The first thing they'll ask you is if you have these things, and if you don't, the interview won't happen and they'll throw out your application. The requirement for you to bring those things to the interview is a test of your ability to follow instructions.

Also I worked in freight car mechanical for almost three years and was thoroughly miserable for most of it, although I was with leasing firms and not a class 1, so your experience may be different than mine (hopefully better). Because you're interviewing for a management trainee position, I'm assuming you have a college degree; as a result, expect a lot of the old heads you'll be working with to not trust you because you're a "college boy" and didn't work your way up from being a carman right out of high school. Eventually you'll earn "street cred" with some of these guys, but others you won't. Railroads are full of stubborn individuals and it's something you'll just have to deal with.

I've read this advice about bringing random stuff elsewhere. This is an online interview but I imagine the next one(assuming I get one) will be like "bring a brandy glass full of brown m&ms."

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Mechanical is fixing cars and locomotives.

I also hope you have very thick skin. This job is worse than gossiping women....

I was a Marine so I think I can handle it but who knows.

Is the pay comparable to NS?

vains
May 26, 2004

Is it uncommon for guys who are mechanics or conductors(or whatever) to get promoted into management/supervisor roles? Say I wanted to be a Trainmaster(management trainee-transportation or whatever), would I make myself more competitive by having previously been a conductor? (or Mechanical and having previously been a freight car repairer etc)

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Just so you know... pretty much all management is despised. Even with ground experience, your crews will still pretty much hate you....

In case you care to know, my company is roughly 96% unionized. If that tells you how little management is thought of.

But we hire people off the street. Hell they just hired a 23 year old kid strait out of college. Poor guy already has a nick name, we call him Harry Potter. Hes making a big stink about having a nick name... the other managers have told him that's an easy name to live with vs what they could call you.

That's fine. I can live with that.

I'd just like to get my foot in the door with a railroad and then move into management. Correct me if I'm wrong but, the pay is shittier(in low level management) but the job security is top notch and you still get RR retirement. As far as I know, Norfolk Southern has never laid off management.

vains
May 26, 2004

I've got a phone interview with NS for a transportation manager trainee job. Even though the job probably sucks, I'm pretty excited about not getting told to fuckoff straight up by NS for the first time.

vains
May 26, 2004

Got an interview coming up for an Operations Supervisor with CSX at an Ohio terminal and one with NS for Management Trainee-Transportation. Pretty loving excited about it except for the whole 'eating poo poo from upper management and labor while working the worst shifts in bumfuck egypt, USA for 3-5 years' part of it.

How bad of a job is dispatching? Judging by the starting pay it sucks pretty bad/is hard but who knows.

vains fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 12, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

What exactly do transportation managers(on NS in particular) do? I expected it would be like: go to terminal, deconflict train/maintenance/track work schedules, set schedule for employees, ensure proper train makeup. The recruiter said it would be more like: you own this section of track. You are responsible for everything that goes on in this section of track.

In that same vein, what do trainmasters/yardmasters do?

vains
May 26, 2004

Veins McGee posted:

What exactly do transportation managers(on NS in particular) do? I expected it would be like: go to terminal, deconflict train/maintenance/track work schedules, set schedule for employees, ensure proper train makeup. The recruiter said it would be more like: you own this section of track. You are responsible for everything that goes on in this section of track.

Got to the last round of interviews for the job. Anyone have anything they can say about the job?

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The recruiter lied. Basically your going to work about 60 hours a week for a meager salary when the train crews you supervise will work less, earn more, and enjoy better benefits. You can and will be called at all hours of the day and night and live on little sleep. The crews will hate you for not having any ground experience and the superintendents will bitch up a storm on a regular basis.

Your job will it include bullshit tests and firing crews. So to be honest don't expect much love from the work force.

Railroaders are an interesting bunch, and be prepared to deal with some unsavory characters. I know, I am a conductor/set back engineer.

I get that management and labor have a pretty antagonistic relationship. I've read about crews bitching about managers hiding in the weeds in order to hammer people for minor rule violations or being retarded or whatever in the series of articles by Tucci(I can't find the link right now). I appreciate your response, but I'm trying to get a handle on what the job actually entails.

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Obviously you have never worked in an industry that has no schedule, your on call, and could work at 2 am one day then 3 pm the next, bad train line ups, and in general you can't even poop strait.... even bursts of micro sleep.... its a harsh industry.

Well I am kinda heated about all this.... do some reading on fatigue and railroads.

Besides these are companies that actively try to push safety aside in an effort to make more money. They wanted to tear out the signal system in our territory that actually makes you reduce speed or makes a penalty brake application if not acted upon. They claim it was holding down train speeds and requires more money to maintain even though its the safest system around.

You still have mandatory crew rest though, right? Like you can't work a shift X hours after working a full shift.

How is working in a (inter-modal) yard? I guess for new guys it sucks because you're working weekends and nights but its gotta be a little better than working on the road(as far as having a normal life goes).

vains
May 26, 2004

9axle posted:

And there is the problem. You are entitled to 10 hours of uninterrupted rest after you complete a shift. But you have no idea when the next call is coming for your next train. You don't know if you are going out as soon as your rest period is up, or is the next day.

Say you get done at noon. You are eligible to be called back to work at 10 pm, but you may not be called back until the following morning. Do you go right to bed, wake up at 8 or 9 pm, or stay up and go to bed at night?

What happens if you go right to bed, wake up at 8 or 9 and don't get called until 8 am? You have been up all night, are now tired and have to go to work. Or you go to bed in the evening, and 4 hours later the phone rings. You just never know, so even with a mandatory rest period, it is still really easy to get caught tired

They sure do love talking about safety though. At the NS management interview I went to, they had a safety brief about exiting a room and designating people to perform CPR and/or direct EMTs to the emergency.

vains
May 26, 2004

I start as an ops supervisor in an intermodal terminal on Monday. I'm pretty excited but I would have preferred to do transportation. If you're not a piece of poo poo retard, is it possible to switch departments after some time on the job?

vains
May 26, 2004

2nd day on the job and my tenuous grasp of railroad organization was shattered once again. I thought yard masters were the yard counterpart to trainmasters but apparently not.

vains
May 26, 2004

InterceptorV8 posted:

Sorry for it being hard to see

What's left of the car is by the white truck to the left, the police where getting on scene as I shot this. Surprised this hasn't been in the news, at least I didn't read about it in the local papers, but car vs train, no surprise who won here. And the guy in the car died. Kinda surprised that they have at grade crossings without any warning signals at all. I wonder if the guy got too used to trains (well, the cars anyway) being their, because Uncle Pete has been using the derail (not pictured) as storage for the last 6 months.

I drove through some at grade crossings without arms on a 55mph road in Ohio. Of course, I was stuck behind a school bus who stopped at every crossing.

I'm at corporate headquarters for a week and a half of orientation/indoctrinationtraining. Don't give a gently caress cause I can expense everything and my boss' only direction was "don't eat at Ruth's Chris everyday".

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

1. We had a rail car that was shipped back and forth between 3 yards for about 3 weeks. If your wondering how I know this is because I worked the job that was to go between those 3 yards and do a pick up and set out of cars. The car is very noticeable, it had a D9 Cat bulldozer painted on the side. It was on our work order to do so, so I just complied. I told people that had the power to do something about it, but they really could care less.

Is it a foreign or TTX car?

vains
May 26, 2004

There is a rule for everything. CSX mandates that all computer chairs have 5 or more casters.

vains
May 26, 2004

Today, the middle of the 3 cranes at my terminal was down. The yardmaster knew this, was in the intermodal office watching a train pull cars under the cranes, was asked to shove the cars to the north end of the working tracks, but decided that doing the job 90% of what was requested was good enough. We had to waste 20minutes moving equipment so that we could work the south end of the train. You know...instead of spending 1 minute to shove back another 400ft.

Heaven loving forbid you ask the yardmaster to use the road crew or his yard crew to do any switching or make any cuts cause that's not going to happen. He's going to cram every foot of car that he can on one track.

I'm becoming more and more amazed that the railroads make any money.

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

They make money by complete accident. We have some yard masters that really are dumb as hell. They can kill 2 hours of switching easily by just making a couple of dumb moves. As a yard guy, I work with the MOW guys when I can.

Have you earned yourself a nick name yet?

I'm intermodal, not MOW. And no nickname yet, not as far as I know.

Cut of intermodal cars blown over in a freak gust of wind.

vains
May 26, 2004

9axle posted:

I bet there is more to this than you are saying. Maybe he wasn't authorized to give the yard crew o/t, maybe they needed head room on the main and he couldn't get it from the dispatcher. Maybe the yard crew was switching another part of the yard. And you drat right, he had better not ask me to switch his yard if I am a road crew. I am on a trip rate, not hourly.

None of those things are/were the issue. The train was 1700 ft long. The processing tracks(underneath the cranes) are 2300ft. The train was already on the processing tracks. He didn't want to shove back another 400ft because he doesn't understand or use the safety equipment that prevents a container from passing over a human. The yard crew couldn't have been anywhere else in the yard because there is no yard power. Besides that, the terminal only handles intermodal cars(therefore, most of the train building is done underneath the cranes).

The issue is a lovely corporate/organizational structure where the yardmaster doesn't report to the terminal manager.

Who do you work for that you aren't hourly? I thought all the Class 1s paid crews by the hour.

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Road guys are generally trip rated and the more ground you cover in less time the better.

For companies that love talking about safety so much, this seems kind of dumb.

vains
May 26, 2004

I don't know poo poo about your agreement. I actually don't know poo poo about much of anything at all, hence why I'm asking questions. I've worked for a railroad for all of 3 weeks so I'm still trying to understand a lot of what goes on and why it happens.

Maybe I'm missing something, but paying by the trip vs by the hour seems to emphasize the wrong thing if you purport to be big on safety. I know that if I'm getting paid by the job, I want to get it done as fast as possible so I can clock out.

vains
May 26, 2004

I got to ride around in an engine today while they were doing some yard switching. It wasn't all that thrilling or anything but I'm starting to get an appreciation for why things take forever on the railroad.

This engine is interesting because it has a 3rd seat in the cab.

vains fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 14, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

9axle posted:

They all do.

Oh well the crew thought it was weird. They could have told me that it was weird that there wasn't a flat screen and an xbox in the cab and I would have believed it.

vains
May 26, 2004

bisticles posted:

I was out trying to grab some early-morning photographs along the river when this rolled by.

Hudson River? Pretty sure that is in New York state since that train is somewhere in northern Ohio right now.

vains
May 26, 2004

bisticles posted:

Yup, on the West side of the Hudson, across from Poughkeepsie.

I'll actually see some of those cars around noon tomorrow at my terminal.

vains
May 26, 2004

kastein posted:

Yeah now I can't stop watching videos of those and I want to build one. Dammit.

Here is a horrific train wreck on what appears to be CSX track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmQi3YNaVms

:haw:

CSX doesn't even operate in Maine or whatever frozen northern tundra you live in.

vains
May 26, 2004

kastein posted:

I do not live in Maine, fortunately. I'm in Massachusetts... a slightly less northern frozen tundra.

We have CSX - in fact I'm reasonably certain they own the tracks from Worcester to Boston that the MBTA commuter rail runs on, and are known for not bothering to maintain their track in the area, thus why I was poking fun at them. I know they own and operate the freight yard in Worcester and from what I can find, one in Boston as well.

e: B4CTom1, that's a pretty recent incident... like 6 days ago? I didn't know anyone published reports that fast. Haven't looked at it all yet, what's the yellow stuff that got spilled, corn? And it looks like an axle bearing seized and a wheel started dragging instead of rolling?

CSX operates in Mass., just not any further north really. CSX is investing a lot of money on the east coast up to NYC in anticipation of the Panama Canal widening and is building a new terminal(or rebuilding an older one) in Massachusetts somewhere.

BN and/or UP guys: How do you number/letter your trains? I've had it explained to me before but I don't remember because it was my 2nd day on the job.

vains
May 26, 2004

kastein posted:

That's probably the Franklin Street terminal in Worcester that you're talking about them rebuilding. They've been working on it for several years now AFAIK, I know they've finished digging out the side of a hill and building a new retaining wall there. Good to know they're actually putting money into stuff, my sources were probably misinformed on that.

http://www.railworcester.com/

This it?

I know that CSX is investing pretty heavily into intermodal and upgrading/expanding infrastructure(ex. double stack clearance up the east coast and across to Chicago) to support intermodal operations as coal volumes/revenue continue to decrease.

http://www.nationalgateway.org/background

vains fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 25, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

Rabid Anti-Dentite! posted:

Q CHISBD6 23L that's a train running right now Q = guaranteed priority intermodal CHISBD = Chicago to San Bernardino

I think that train originates at my terminal.

I currently see a BNIC and a SSEA train from BNSF and I know I get a GNKR. I think all 3 of those trains terminate at Corwith or Cicero on your end. How long does it typically take an intermodal train to get from Seattle or LA to Chicago?

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

A= auto rack
B= beets train (non existent any more)
C= coal
E= Engine move
G= grain
I= Standard intermodal
K= Priority intermodal
L= local
M= standard manifest
O= ore (or other bulk commodity)
Q= priority manifest
R= Rock
S= Company special
U= unit
Z= Premium intermodal

Then there's 4 digits that are the origination and destination... then a few numbers or letters for other designations.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...X9ZdtXQNXb3Rikg

Thank god for foamers. I learned more about how CSX train symbols are assigned from railfan.com or whatever than I did through work.

vains
May 26, 2004

Long day today, a yardjob hit a semi at one of the crossings on the terminal. I was sitting in the office and I heard the engineer lay on the horn and then a loud thud. I drove up there expecting to see a mangled truck with gore dripping out of it and a derailed train. Thankfully, the engine hit the container in the rear 1/3, punched a hole in it with the knuckle, and tipped it on its side. Dehydrated corn from the container was everywhere. It burst out of the container like the cloud of sweat that gets knocked off a boxers head when he takes a hard punch. 3 hours of paperwork, witness statements, railroad police, phonecalls, and a late train but no injuries.

I'll post some pictures and a video(if I can get it) once they've had enough time to circulate around. The container was a lot more intact than I would have thought. Total writeoff but I expected that a ~600k lb train would have hosed it up more.

vains
May 26, 2004

MrChips posted:

OK so I'm no foamer but I did notice something odd today.

I was out having lunch today when I saw a BNSF train (both power and rolling stock) on one of Canadian Pacific's main lines. My question is how common is it to see railroads sharing rights of way like this? I assume they just lease time or whatever on the track. Also, how do they handle crewing in a situation like that...in this case, would BNSF just hand off to a CP crew or would they use their own guys?

Sorry if these are really stupid questions.

BN and UP power on a CSX terminal

vains
May 26, 2004

One of my trains is delayed 2 hours because there was a portashitter on the mainline.

vains
May 26, 2004

2 train CSX derailment caused by a sinkhole underneath the tracks in Upstate New York, 2 non-lifethreatening injuries.

vains
May 26, 2004

NoWake posted:

Holy poo poo, I covered for the Roadmaster of this very subdivision for about a month last August. This line is very, VERY busy with most trains running close to the track speed of 60/80mph. It's miraculous there was no loss of life, and thank god it wasn't an Amtrak coming through. The mainline tracks in NY are inspected at least every other day, and I can tell you personally that the inspectors of the Fonda sub are on the ball. The tracks themselves were in great shape last I came through, but the culverts I can't really speak to. Not much mud or standing water, anyway. The tracks run right along the Mohawk River, a sinkhole could have opened up from a hard rain coming down the hill... but inspectors are always required to patrol during/after a flood watch. I'm not in the area anymore, maybe a watch wasn't issued?

Not to bring E/N into this, but wrecks like this is what kept me up at night and ultimately led me to leave the railroad. It's an incredibly stressful and demanding career, the hours are long and the ramifications of your decisions are serious. I loved the work, but I did nothing else. It really takes a special kind of person to thrive in that environment.

e: tracks are pretty far from the river, but there's a culvert right there. There's also a crossover and a turnout pretty near the scene... very interested in knowing the true cause of this :ohdear:

You don't have PMs but if you give me your email I can tell you what I see in NOW+all the pictures I have of it.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What was your job title? Anything management wise on the RR is always stressful. Its the guys that work in the crafts (te&y, mow, signal, etc) are usually the least/no stress jobs.

I think he said he's a Roadmaster. This section of tracks is coming out of NYC and handles all the port traffic and all the traffic to the rest of the North East.

vains fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 28, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

Motronic posted:

The "no air pressure left"/parking brakes are spring brakes just like on trucks as far as I'm aware. It would be fairly insane for them the be anything else.

Yeah, you need air pressure to release the air brakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Do the air brakes on British trains work the same way as the triple valve setup on American brake systems?

gently caress if I know. This was in Canada. They have to have the same or similar brake setup since we interchange equipment with CN/CP.