Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I was driving south from tacoma WA a while back, and along the interstate there appeared to be many miles worth of abandened SP doublestacks. Is there any story behind that, it seems pretty wasteful to not sell/reuse those cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So I guess when china/japan/korea starts shipping over more stuff they'll be put back in service? makes sense.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Stupidity knows no bounds. I caught some kids on video crawling under an actively switching train at the MBTA station in Ayer, Massachusetts. Two of them crawled under it before I started filming then the other two followed them. Why? So they wouldn't have to walk 500 feet to cross the tracks on a nearby bridge or wait for the train to clear the crossing.

Link: http://youtu.be/5uXq0ZOQU1c?hd=1&t=3m34s

It looks like the track needs new ballast or something, its warping pretty badly.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I've been reading about crossrail 2, but I haven't seen this mentioned: If it is taking over the SW regional routes, would they end up designing trains that can use both power systems, or would they just upgrade the lines to the 25KV system as they are added to the network?

I would expect the second option to sound more expensive, but become cheaper in the long term as then you don't need to buy two types of trains every time you order new ones.

And crossrail 1's trains having two or three types of signaling interfaces just sounds like a mess.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I thought I remember reading that the 650V DC stuff doesn't provide enough power anyhow, I would expect them to at least replace the system with 25KV for the branch lines that don't connect to anything else, and the shared portion of the mainline. Then hey can replace individual lines as they upgrade the trains running on them.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

drat that looks like it would have been awesome to do.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'm kind of surprised they don't have dedicated entry and exit doors, even if they are on the same side. Shouldn't that help speed things up.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

JuffoWup posted:

I know it is different, but wouldn't one being delayed help? At the Orlando airport, the trams would open one side to depart passengers for a few minutes before opening the entry doors for new riders.

Well they can't do that without building new stations / tunnels everywhere. I know the buses here switched from FFA entry exit to only enter at the front / only ext at the back a few years ago, although I suspect that was mainly to make sure everybody buys a ticket.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

wolrah posted:

Considering it got hit by a train the bus actually fared pretty well: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/six-injured-in-marta-bus-vs-train-collision/nmGDs/

Most likely because all the energy went into spinning the bus around, if it had been hit in the middle it would have most likely been flipped and torn in two.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

well the UK wants to leave the EU anyway, so maybethen they'll have to start hiring locals and paying more (who am I kidding?)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The conductors just do that tourist railroads because its expected, its horrible inefficient that way

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

wolrah posted:

Head-on collision in Germany: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35530538

It's hard to tell from the Google Maps overhead view and there's no Street View mode to check things out closer because German privacy laws are insane, but it looks like this is a single set of rails. Reports are saying that there should have been some sort of autobraking system triggered by passing a stop signal, so it'll be interesting to see what kinds of failures came together here once the investigation is complete.

Rumors currently say that someone overrode the signaling system to let a delayed train catch up, and that signal ended up also being sent to the train going the other direction.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Thanks. Sorry, I should have been more specific. My scenario is a pedestrian being struck & killed, typically by a passenger train.

probably is basically: blame a cellphone

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

sincx posted:

So it's basically 19th century hyperloop? Or hyperloop is the 21st century version of this atmospheric railway?

Cool.

Brunel does sound like a Elon Musk type character.

Hyperloop turns that inside out and inverts the pressure inequality as well.

Also, national express has taken over two lines here in Germany. That's gonna end well, although so far it doesn't look like they are responsible for more than the paintjob on the trainsets.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

hackbunny posted:

barricaded one posted:

I don't think I have seen this posted; but anyways, it's insanely detailed railwaymaps: http://www.openrailwaymap.org/

Oh come on it's even got tram lines :monocle:

Tram lines? Its even got the different animal enclosures at the zoo I take the train to get to in Holland labeled correctly.

(And I know I'm months behind, but still! )

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

"Integration issue" sounds like the martian lander where the units got mixed up in the command interface, two groups of people that didn't work out the big picture correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Huh, never heard of those or saw em before. Would love to have had front seat at the top on the rhein valley route. Translation of the name seems a bit off - stock is intended more like story in the sense of a two story building.