Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I have a rail question actually. I take commuter trains into Boston daily and every now and then a train will roll into North Station, and a bunch a burly guys will trot up to the train right after it gets into the station and slap a flashing blue light on the end. I assume it means that's something's up with the train and that they're working on it, but is there a specific Rail Use for "flashing blue light"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Hey so is anyone else sick of Railroad.NET? There are occasionally great threads about interesting topics, but it's mostly foamers jacking off to one another. There should be a rule that you are permanently banned if you post a train number, it would clear the aspies out right quick.

God, I can't stand Railroad.net. I'm really into Commuter Rail, and used to hang out on the MBTA/MBCR subforums and if those guys aren't being complete toolboxes to newbies just curious about trains, they're closing threads for going "off topic" as the conversation migrates around the same general subject.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Nerobro posted:

You can't beat Metra to downtown Chicago during rush hour. And I have tried.

Hah. I take the MBCR to work 5 days a week too, an hour and a bit each way, and the few times I've driven in it takes half again to twice as long to drive! Boston metro area traffic really is the worst.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Yay, a train thread!

Rockport Trains by jpitha, on Flickr

Since I take the commuter rail every day, I wind up taking a lot of photos of it, and am generally interested in the rolling stock and motive power. My knowledge is really limited to the MBCR and the T though I really like Mass transit and try to ride trains and subways and trollies whenever I visit a new city.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Maybe a geometry car?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Wow the old shelter is still there, I figured they would have modernized it by now.

This is the MBTA. Of course it's not modernized.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I'm not sure how popular this would be here (I don't think anyone here is too foamy) but the Mass Bay Railroad Enthusiasts is offering up some excursion trains from Worcester to the Rhode Island shore and Worcester to the middle of nowhere, Connecticut

http://www.massbayrre.org/Trips/Fall2013P&Wtrips.html

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

That's a pretty poor end of track bumper, attached to a piece of wood? They needed one of these.

I see those at North Station every day. I want a train to nudge (gently) into one, I imagine it makes the most tremendous noise as it slides against the rails its bolted to.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

You ever have one of those ideas that you think initially is brilliant but then realize you're not so smart and that if it was actually brilliant someone would have done it already?

I was thinking today: "What about a chinatown bus, but trains." Boston to NYC nonstop for $30 each or something. Smoother and faster than the bus, but cheaper than Amtrak. Something set up for super commuters and college kids. It must be waaaaaay more expensive than I'm thinking or it would have been done already.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

SocketSeven posted:

UK rail sounds a lot like US subways and trolleys. Lots of different people building them. Political manipulation to get them placed or removed, and a general lack of interoperability.

At least our subways don't drop sewage onto the tracks. We're civilized and just go on the floor of the car. :v:

Hah it really does. Like the MBTA buying Light Rail cars from Boeing in the 70s (who had never before...or since made light rail vehicles)

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

That's what you get for standing too close.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Cygni posted:

For the US, BART in San Francisco (a metro system) gets to 10 cars and 216m. Amtrak's California Zephyr can get up to 321m with 10 double-decker cars and 3 locos, plus a baggage car. Thats a big passenger train.

Think thats about as big as they get in the states, unless one of the single deck Northeast Regionals is maybe longer?

Not that I know of. Most of the trains I've seen up here are 8 cars. I know the longest MBCR commuter trains are 8 cars. Singles on the north side, and doubles on the south side.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

joat mon posted:

That one was Russian. The French went one better: a hovercraft jet train.

250 kph version

350 kph version (430kph top speed)

If this was a just world, that would have been the TGV.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

If they're the big purple ones with the rounded front, those are currently the most powerful passenger locomotives in the US right now!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

kastein posted:

I ride those trains occasionally. Cool.

Wonder if they'll sell me one of their old locos to park in the yard and use as a backup generator. :haw:

I take them every. drat. (work)day. They're currently replacing the screamers which true to their name idle at a high RPM.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Highest HP 4 axle diesels ever built, but they don't hold a candle to electrics. Funny part is that ridiculous paint scheme was chosen through a vote on their website, that's actually the one I voted for.

Thanks for the clarification! I voted for it too. :hf:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Captain Postal posted:

Is that why they have to add leap seconds every so often? That thing looks like it'd have enough torque to change the Earths rotation...

I know they aren't all powered

They're just slowing continental drift a bit.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Tex Avery posted:

Are you talking about the Mattapan line? I've read bits and pieces about it and it seems pretty drat cool!

It is pretty cool. The Murderpan line is the only public light rail that goes through a cemetery. Be aware though, it's in a...less nice part of Boston.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

kastein posted:

Victim of MBTA incompetence, or worthlessness? Who knows!

I know! (My friend works for the T) those were dragged in to be the break-room for the conductors and train drivers at North Station when it was under construction. They were going to be shoved into track 13 and made permanent because hey, it was just lying around. Then, the rehab place next to North Station (which is closed now I think?) said "actually no, you can't take up half of our parking lot with tracks 12 and 13, go to hell" so the T brought in a construction office to be the break room instead and left those two converted buddliners just there because they have a loooooooooot of unused track and it was just easier to leave it there.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Kilonum posted:

TRIGGERED

The 1970s:
Boston: We need new trolleys.

US Government: TRAINS MUST BE MADE IN THE USA

Boston: But....nobody makes them here anymore

US Government: TRAINS MUST BE MADE IN THE USA

Boeing: Well, we have all these guys who need work....we could give it a throw

Boston: Have you made trolleys before?

Boeing: Nah, but how hard can it be?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Boeing LRV's may have been unreliable but they were the most comfortable and smoothest riding cars on the green line. They also had the best AC.

Yes, I know the AC was a retrofit.

If you rode them any time after the early 90s they were more Boston-built than Boeing.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Ryand-Smith posted:

The biggest issue with most modern locomotives is the 1-2 punch of emissions and computers, Genesis had an issue with computers, Bostons new big diesel had computer issues, the new sprinter had minor computer bugs, because code bases are too big to test for most programs and in order to make emissions you need computer programmed and electronic fuel control.

Boston's new big diesels are pretty cool though. They're pretty much long-haul freight diesels with HEP for running the passenger cars. They are hilariously overpowered.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Kilonum posted:

As someone who lives on the Fitchburg Line, I can tell the difference between a F40PH hauled train and a HSP46 without seeing the loco

The HSP46 trains actually run on time

I figured it would be the fact that the F40PHs loud enough to wake the dead when it trundles by idling seemingly one notch from overspeeding.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Meanwhile, on the MBTA Green Line northern expansion...

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Vasily, she is running a little rich.

Da. but she is running!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

hey Choo choo peeps. Keolis has an open position that runs right up my alley. Does anyone know anything/have an opinion of them as a company to work for? This would be IT stuff, not anything on the rails.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

An atomic train but instead of electric motors it just blasts radioactive steam out the back like a rocket

Ah, the 1950's approach.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

And the speed limits are mostly due to RI and CT being dicks and some super tight turns that they have to turn the tilting mechanism off for.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Klaus Kinski posted:

Cheaper, absorbs noise better and actually performs better under a few conditions I can't remember.

Performs better for freight work, IIRC. Most of the Northeast Corridor is concrete though.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Follow the yellow corn road
Follow the yellow corn road
follow follow follow follow follow follow the yellow corn road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Make America Trains Again.