Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I'm confused, how does shutting down a locomotive cause a release of the brakes? Did the air just leak out just enough in the right proportions then a strong wind pushed them and they started rolling like they were in a yard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

do you guys ever get scared that a crazy person is going to jump onto the train and stab the crew?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Is the only reason it has 6 axles and only 4 traction motors simply so it can balance the weight shifting on the idler, or are there some 3-axle trucks with less than 3 motors?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW9RrPUu6j0 :psyduck:

i can only imagine what would happen if you were between two cars when the slack pulls out

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I bet that job was a hoot. Basically a death sentence. Or at least a good way to lose your hands.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

then you start seeing these signs right before you're run over by a giant unforgiving locomotive

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Brother Jonathan posted:

I also like Trainz for the great variety of content, though the cab graphics are way behind Train Simulator. I also prefer the controls in Trainz. It is easier to lap the brakes, for example.

For American freight trains, I recently discovered a new simulator called Run 8. It has only been out for a year. The cabs are very detailed, and have working MFDs. The physics simulation is detailed, with each car having its own inertia, and with the pneumatics of the train brake being realistic. The slack is simulated, and it is easy to snap a train in two if the brakes aren't applied properly.

It has a multiplayer mode in which people can haul, cut out consists, or run the dispatcher board. Here is a video from a session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH3yzKALHHg

Run 8 is pretty sweet. Nothing like sitting for 20 minutes while your brake line pressure builds :shepface:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

is that the one with $1,000 of DLC?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

From reddit:

quote:

That, I am honestly not sure of. We have another thing called the HpTa (horse power per ton analyzer) if by some chance you aren't tonned out, the company will helpfully add additional throttle restrictions so you run as though you are tonned out. For example, the train is normally 14000 tons, with two units that on paper show 4400 horsepower each. Now today though, there aren't as many cars, and not as many are loaded, and now the train tonnage is around 10000. Instead of saying, okay, we can actually make some decent time with this train at 0.9 HpT, the company will say you are not allowed to use maximum throttle, you are restricted to the 7th notch, as that will bring your HpT closer to 0.6. Saving fuel. Somehow.

Holy poo poo, is that true? That blows.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

It's fascinating watching everyone poo poo a collective brick when rail is still probably a couple orders of magnitude safer per passenger mile.

It's just more spectacular. Flying is safe too, but when a plane crashes you know it's all over the news. Especially if it explodes. Train derailment? Oh yeah, lots of mechanical carnage there.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

does the air just leak out as fast as its put in due to shrunk gaskets or something?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

So, if a train is 10,000 feet long and goes into emergency, do you have to walk the entire drat-near-2-miles to find the problem?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

gently caress thatttttt

bring a bike or something man

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Run 8 is the best simulator I've seen. It even simulates waiting 20 minutes to charge the air, and then never getting above 4mph going up a steep grade :D

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I've just noticed the most amazing service update on the Southern Railway website;

Progress! Making things betterworse! :suicide:

Is the gap like, super big? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of low floors?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

What do the train engineers do if there's no signal? Just... stop and phone it in? Or do you have to crawl along at 5mph, communicating with dispatch about block activity?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

So if I understand railway airbakes, which I probably don't, if you took a running locomotive that was fully charged and connected it to a consist that had no air, wouldn't connecting the two pipes cause the locomotive to go into emergency?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Those things appear to have more switches and dials than the space shuttle.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Do you get overtime for working night or is it just a third shift task?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Here's some irony for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Wo8p72LZA

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

There was a video of a freight train stopped in California, right next to a stadium. The train was blocking multiple crossings right as a game was about to start so people started going over/under the train and it looked like a disaster waiting to happen if the brakes were to suddenly come off.

Edit: found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW9RrPUu6j0

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

The Zephyr is about the same length as the Empire Builder and I'm pretty sure it only uses 2 locomotives the entire way.

Also remember that Amtrak/VIA withdrew all the Superliners from service in Canada after the crash in 1999 :thumbsup:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Looks like a steam locomotive made it to the local transportation museum and so they got to do some street running: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2xo_F23TZo

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

You can get video updates on UP's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/UnionPacificRailroad

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

How far is the big boy going to be able to run on its own, considering how many considerations have to be made for its weight? Will it basically only to be able to travel as far as the main line takes it from Cheyenne?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Ok, so say you have to stop your train on an incline. How do you start the train again without letting all the slack run out? Don't you need to keep the slack in when starting so you aren't pulling the entire thing at once?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Do locomotives have air/spring seats like in trucks? How's the ride? I was looking at old steam engines that have seats bolted to the floor and I bet that the ride could knock your fillings out.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

What's a plug rail?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I want to get some railway ties to help border my gravel driveway. Is there a way to source them straight from the railway for cheap or do I have to go through a hardware store?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Some cars used to have generators tied to the axle (way back when). Not sure how prevalent this was in any country, though.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

gotta strap somethin :shrug:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

https://gma.yahoo.com/two-women-survive-being-run-down-freight-train-171545896--abc-news-topstories.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

:stonk:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I know NASA uses buffer cars to reduce the amount of weight on bridges. This way there isn't a ton of strain on any one point and the weight is more distributed.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Apparently PTC is a giant clusterfuck according to NS. I didn't even know there was a mandate but this whole thing sounds rather ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gdjuKx6aYM

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

All I can imagine are the wheels rolling off and causing complete destruction to everything behind the truck.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

kids just hanging out the window over a bridge :psyduck:

Stick Insect posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ddsV-SmMQ

It appears the driver controls the engine simply by moving the pantograph. That seems odd and somewhat unsafe. Or is there another reason for it?

I'd wager simplicity as that thing appears to be the economy/budget friendly locomotive.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

"anti-bypass" double shelf couplers?

What are these?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

It can be real hit and miss. My Amtrak train into California was early by 2 hours, although we got delayed in the last 10 mils due to construction and only ended up being 30 minutes early.

However, on the way back our train was late by 6 hours :(

And then I took the train out of Philadelphia and it was 6 hours late getting to the station because of a broken down locomotive.

It'll get better :unsmith:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I took a shower on the Zephyr at 80 mph. The drain just emptying on the tracks so everything under me is just whizzing by. It was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Stayed at a place in Chicago over new years that has 2 active tracks running right next to it (we're on the 7th floor). Pretty sweet seeing a bunch of trains so close from up top. We saw an Amtrak train run by, 4 SD-40 lookin locomotives idling for aout 40 minutes, a couple new freight locos too. We didn't think we'd see any but boy were we surprised.