Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

It definitely seems a freak occurrence for freight, but out here in SEPTAland it happens every evening rush hour at my station. The outbound train is pulling out and a hoard of idiot commuter-drones are crowed around the pedestrian grade crossing, meanwhile an inbound train is about to pull into the station. Unfortunately the inbound train is blocked from view by the outbound one, so it's real easy to get killed.

To solve the issue, SEPTA has a special operading order which requires the outbound train to wait for the inbound one to pull into the station before throttling up. Unfortunately, the engineers seem to love death and destruction because once every other week they just roll on out. I know for a fact someone died in this scenario a couple years ago :(.

Happens out here with Metra all the time and it used to drive me up a wall when I was riding it everyday and would see this poo poo time and time again. Intrestingly back in the early 90's along the same Aurora-Chicago BNSF service something just like the above happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhzR42SrIkI (FYI it's yet another video of idiots being hit by a train)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU