Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I subbed in net tonight, way above my level (from div 12 to 6), and won, because they gave me their #34 spare goalie jersey and it's Kipper's jersey retirement and the hockey gods would have been insulted with any other outcome.

e: also the game is so, so much faster at that level and everyone passes and shoots so hard what the hell

Pleads fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Does anyone know a way of lacing up skates so that the foot part is tight but the ankle is loose? I've been playing with the laces tied loosely and I like the increased ankle mobility but the overall looseness of the skate is kind of annoying, so I'm wondering if it's possible to get the best of both worlds. If I have to I might try using two laces for each skate but I'm hoping there's some ingenuous knot or eyelet looping pattern that will let me avoid that.

sellouts posted:

Also I’ve gone on and off working out but after 200 days of travel last year and the consequences of that I committed back to it and after 15 weeks of it, it feels drat good to shoot the puck harder and be able to at least maybe sometimes catch a more skilled player when they’re being lazy

What sort of workouts are you doing? Weights? I went from kind of average speed to one of the fastest guys on the ice just from building up my squat numbers. The difference between going from untrained/low level beginner to upper level beginner lifting is incredible.

Sheeple
Nov 1, 2011

jettisonedstuff posted:

Does anyone know a way of lacing up skates so that the foot part is tight but the ankle is loose? I've been playing with the laces tied loosely and I like the increased ankle mobility but the overall looseness of the skate is kind of annoying, so I'm wondering if it's possible to get the best of both worlds. If I have to I might try using two laces for each skate but I'm hoping there's some ingenuous knot or eyelet looping pattern that will let me avoid that.

I leave the top eyelet out and lace my skates up using the outside in method. There are lots of videos if you look for it.

I know it's supposed to be for lace bite mainly but I find it hugs my foot more than the inside out lacing while leaving the top eyelet out lets my ankle flex.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
That is the same way I lace my skates. I also like having waxed laces for keeping it as I tied it.

Will be playing game 5 in 6 days. So tired and hurting. We're doing an over 40 tournament and are probably the only team with all players over 40, with most over 50.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

jettisonedstuff posted:

What sort of workouts are you doing? Weights? I went from kind of average speed to one of the fastest guys on the ice just from building up my squat numbers. The difference between going from untrained/low level beginner to upper level beginner lifting is incredible.

Weights. Mix of kb db and bb. Lots of pressing.

What helped my speed the most was lengthening my stride. Squats help with that. Sliders. Whatever keeps the blade in contact with the ice as long as possible.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I lace my skates normally but I've been doing a lace lock at the top 2 eyelets for years and it seems to work well and keeps my skate tight without feeling restrictive.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I always leave the top eyelet unlaced. Ankle motion is too restricted when I go all the way to the top.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

jettisonedstuff posted:

Yeah if it's severe a way is to have two sections. Or... As I've seen this in the wild, some Option B for the top part. http://www.chooseoptionb.com/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Welp it finally happened after 14 years of playing beer league. I was screening the goalie, and a teammate shot the puck, it went off my dick and 5-holed the goalie. Did not get credit for the goal despite the ref confirming he gave it to me.

The very next shift, I was screening the goalie and the same guy wired a shot and hit me in the dick again, but did not go in. This one was a way harder shot and almost crumpled me. Had to go off for a change.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Holy gently caress. Playoff game last night. I'll be honest I didn't have much faith in our team to go deep this season. Nothing against the team but it's a mixed bag of skill and we tend to defeat ourselves by bitching about the refs and running our mouths to the refs and other team and taking dumb penalties.

We lost our first playoff game but it's double elimination. We have continued to win every game after that and we've had a short bench most nights. Fewest we had was 6 skaters. Last night we had 7.

Last night we played a tan that always gets rough, they occasionally have a half dozen current college players, and one kid who just left Juniors a year or two ago. It's ridiculous. On top of that they're very physical and their intensity goes from 0-100 in a second. Also, they're cops. They've told us so on the ice on several occasions. Maybe it's why their team name is the bullets. I chat with a few of them on the ice. Some are nice dudes but when the puck drops it's like Jekyll and Hyde. They've smoked us all season long. This is div 5. Most college/Junior kids play 1-3.

Semi final game last night. We had 7 they had 10 skaters. It's a back and forth game. Incredibly physical. I'm shocked at what the refs are letting go. Cross checks, slashes, lots of body checks. Everybody is yapping and they all think they're Innocent. I got a feed from the corner right into the slot and clapped it high off the cross bar.

Third period, 2-2. One of our guys scored on a sloppy rebound. 3-2. It feels great but this team is capable of coming back. I'm playing center this shift. Someone took a shot and the goalie blocked it. There's a lot of traffic in front of their crease and the puck pops out to me, wide open in the slot. I skate up to it and tee off on it. It's either going to hit someone, or maybe go in. I clap it and watch it disappear into several people. I don't know how I knew it was a goal but I could feel it. I saw the refs arm and holy poo poo that felt nice. 4-2. They eventually came back after. One of our guys buried a backhand top shelf on a breakaway to give us 5. We ended up winning 5-4 and it literally came down to the last faceoff with 4 seconds left. We were in disbelief. Probably one of my favorite games we've played in a long time. It's been so long since I've scored on a slapshot.

Now we play the best team for the championship.

loving hockey man.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Verman posted:

Holy gently caress. Playoff game last night. I'll be honest I didn't have much faith in our team to go deep this season. Nothing against the team but it's a mixed bag of skill and we tend to defeat ourselves by bitching about the refs and running our mouths to the refs and other team and taking dumb penalties.

We lost our first playoff game but it's double elimination. We have continued to win every game after that and we've had a short bench most nights. Fewest we had was 6 skaters. Last night we had 7.

Last night we played a tan that always gets rough, they occasionally have a half dozen current college players, and one kid who just left Juniors a year or two ago. It's ridiculous. On top of that they're very physical and their intensity goes from 0-100 in a second. Also, they're cops. They've told us so on the ice on several occasions. Maybe it's why their team name is the bullets. I chat with a few of them on the ice. Some are nice dudes but when the puck drops it's like Jekyll and Hyde. They've smoked us all season long. This is div 5. Most college/Junior kids play 1-3.

Semi final game last night. We had 7 they had 10 skaters. It's a back and forth game. Incredibly physical. I'm shocked at what the refs are letting go. Cross checks, slashes, lots of body checks. Everybody is yapping and they all think they're Innocent. I got a feed from the corner right into the slot and clapped it high off the cross bar.

Third period, 2-2. One of our guys scored on a sloppy rebound. 3-2. It feels great but this team is capable of coming back. I'm playing center this shift. Someone took a shot and the goalie blocked it. There's a lot of traffic in front of their crease and the puck pops out to me, wide open in the slot. I skate up to it and tee off on it. It's either going to hit someone, or maybe go in. I clap it and watch it disappear into several people. I don't know how I knew it was a goal but I could feel it. I saw the refs arm and holy poo poo that felt nice. 4-2. They eventually came back after. One of our guys buried a backhand top shelf on a breakaway to give us 5. We ended up winning 5-4 and it literally came down to the last faceoff with 4 seconds left. We were in disbelief. Probably one of my favorite games we've played in a long time. It's been so long since I've scored on a slapshot.

Now we play the best team for the championship.

loving hockey man.

gently caress the cop team. Go hockey!

Also we just lost a playoff game last sunday 1-2. No one knew it was the playoffs or we probably would have played harder. Yay bad D league!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

RC Cola posted:

No one knew it was the playoffs or we probably would have played harder. Yay bad D league!

This is the most beer league thing that can happen.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RC Cola posted:

gently caress the cop team. Go hockey!

Also we just lost a playoff game last sunday 1-2. No one knew it was the playoffs or we probably would have played harder. Yay bad D league!

Hey now. That wasn't me at least. Thursday nights are usually the top divisions, so if you're used to playing outside it you may not like how Thursdays get called. One of my games last night was USPHL and college players versus former USPHL players and while there's no body checking allowed, there are a lot of other tools in the game that they get to use. Even they complain about stuff that they've been doing the whole game and then the other team does it and "where's the call?" I did mostly Tier II and Tier I games this year, and even they complain less than adult league. It's part of the allure.

My team lost it's first game last weekend. We took 6 or 7 calls that game, and still only lost in OT to a deflected shot from four feet wide of the net that went top corner. I'm a little salty because I almost got my stick on it while split between defending two forwards net front.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

RC Cola posted:

gently caress the cop team.

:hai:

There are so many retired cops in my Rat Hockey group and they're all so sexist and racist and homophobic in the locker room that I always move to whichever locker room they're not in.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Had a cop quit the league after “paying thousands in league fees in the decade I’ve played here” for the funniest reason. He (the cop) was skating up the boards with the puck, skates through contact but loses the puck, ref raises his hand and then blows the whistle when the other team gets the loose puck. The call? Interference on the cop. He gets a misconduct for saying “what, that’s on me?” to the ref, and a game misconduct on top of it for continuing to talk. No one notified him that a game misconduct is an automatic suspension for the next game, so he shows up the next week and dresses, gets a single shift before the refs stop the game until he leaves the ice.

It was hilariously bad from the initial call, the thin skinned ref giving out misconducts, and the league totally dropping the ball on the follow up. But he was a prick so well deserved.

How do I know he paid thousands in league fees? He emailed the captains distribution list and all the captains thought it was funny enough to send it to most of their teams.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I played on a team of firefighters for a bit and they were super hilarious and chill. Downside was locker room talk could get kinda gross if the paramedics showed up and started trying to out-gore each other's stories.

But on the other hand if anyone got hurt they were fuckin on point.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Verman posted:

Also, they're cops. They've told us so on the ice on several occasions. Maybe it's why their team name is the bullets.

Did not know this about them. I’ve only refereed them maybe twice. I just figured they were nerds because the logo looks like the one in Mario. The teams who have a misguided sense of self importance tend to blend together. You have more than the average in that division though. It’s pretty common in that number Div and the one above it.

Good luck with the finals, I’m not working that night.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I play in a high school alumni tournament annually and one of the teams has several cops, and they're miserable to play against. Lotta dirty poo poo.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

But on the other hand if anyone got hurt they were fuckin on point.

Yeah the hockey player who was an ER nurse was a big help when my buddy shattered his ankle going into the boards.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Man, we lost 1-4 last night. The team we played were shitheads. The refs let the game get out of control. There was a bigger guy going around just open ice checking people nowhere near the play over and over. He ended up leveling one of our smaller women and also cut her leg with his skate stepping on her after.

Season is over now, we asked the goalie for feedback and he said "we look good smoker, tony, and RC Cola's line is out. It is very rough when they are not out there" And that felt good. Also the other goalie was a sub who was our goalie from last season. Dude is a B league goalie, which makes sense because he loving killed it. If they had their normal goalie we probably would have won.

Just posting general thoughts, but I finally can stick handle a little. The using my top hand finally clicked. I also got new skates, my old ones were a size too big I learned. My skating improved overnight which rules. I really need to work on my shot. I get something like 5-10 shots a game, it would help if I was dangerous like all the other people who played high school and poo poo. I think working out a bit and just playing hockey is helping though. I finally have some forearm and shoulder muscles, which is making all the stick stuff easier. I imagine that the shot will eventually come, I just need to start working on it more.

Anyways hockey rules, my 10:30 game tonight is gonna suck. We have 6 skaters and the other team is the one with 3 girls who played club at university of minnesota. They are very good and show no mercy. I'm just so tired

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, we lost out in OT last night for the second game in a row to end the season. Even game, one call in the whole thing. They were great at crashing the net and it left us overloaded on D constantly. Two of their goals including the game winner came off a play with two in front before our forwards could get back and they'd just dump a puck in front to whack at it. Not a bad strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Fuuuuuck. Had another great game last night. It was our semi final but with how the bracket works, double elimination playoffs, we were the winner of the loser bracket playing the undefeated top seed. We had to beat them last night ... In order to play them again for the championship. They've beat us all season long.

Coming off our hot game on Thursday, we rallied and got a mostly full bench to show up. I finally got to play wing instead of defense or center.

We dominated the first period, mostly in possession and shots. They didn't look great. Their ringers weren't doing much. It's tied 1-1 first period.

In the second period, I pressure their d man who pinches the puck against the boards. I chopped the puck past and skate up the right boards. I don't have enough speed or time to beat their last defensemen who is cooking across the ice at me. I'm a lefty so I need to get more into the center of the ice. As I go over their blue line, I think I tried to put the puck behind their d man and I get around him towards the center of the zone and the second the puck gets back on my tape I shoot and beat the goalie. I want to see the livebarn because it was all hustle and work. It felt fast but I bet it looks like absolute dog poo poo on video.

All game long I hustled, made a lot of great fore/back check plays. Had some good scoring opportunities.

We were up 3-1 in the third and slowly let them come back. They tied it with a minute left. We went into overtime and couldn't make anything happen. Shootout. Best of 5. One from each score and it continues. We went 12 rounds. Cleared the benches and had to restart before their last skater finally scored one.

Crazy night. Second place for the season wasn't bad. Great playoff run. Awesome to have two great goals in my last two games. Excellent first season after my back injury. Hockey is awesome.