Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

This raises two questions: what the gently caress is wrong with beer leaguers that they can't keep their stick down...?
Agreed, what is wrong with the lowest level of hockey player that they aren't perfect hockey players?

(I also like the implication that high-sticking doesn't happen at higher levels)

We didn't all get to play as kids and we don't all have time to play multiple times a week or even once a week.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

JetsGuy posted:

xzzy posted:

No, some ignorant EPSN blogger does. Because fans won't recognize the stars anymore when they shave.
Yeah, and he's dead serious about it. ESPN goes out of their way to deride hockey, but Christ in heaven.
Ah, okay. Well gently caress him, then.

Carry on.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Lost our first game of the season tonight to a new team to the league cause we had a short fuckin bench. People kept bitching about us having too many guys and dammit this is why I like to have at least 12-13 guys registered for the team so when people are out for whatever reason we have more than 8 guys playing out.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Tonight was probably my only shot in the next few weeks to get on the ice (getting married, going on our honeymoon, living in Memphis for the summer), so I went for it.

It was the first time I completely suited up and I didn't want to look a fool in case I did something stupid so I went to my rink for some after hours ice. Just me and the ice.

I could only last 15 minutes before my feet (arches) were murdering me. :(

I thought superfeet might help, but nope. Same ol same ol, just like the last time I tried skating, several years ago.

Is this normal, will it go away if I keep going?

Pretty frustrated.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Krime posted:

Tonight was probably my only shot in the next few weeks to get on the ice (getting married, going on our honeymoon, living in Memphis for the summer), so I went for it.

It was the first time I completely suited up and I didn't want to look a fool in case I did something stupid so I went to my rink for some after hours ice. Just me and the ice.

I could only last 15 minutes before my feet (arches) were murdering me. :(

I thought superfeet might help, but nope. Same ol same ol, just like the last time I tried skating, several years ago.

Pretty frustrated.

If I recall, Superfeet can take a few sessions to get used to. I remember my arches hurt a bit when I first started using them.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

robcat posted:

If I recall, Superfeet can take a few sessions to get used to. I remember my arches hurt a bit when I first started using them.

The thing is... its the same as it was without the Superfeet which is why I'm bummed/frustrated.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Krime posted:

Pretty frustrated.

As a person who had never ice skated before in his life up until January of this year, I'd say it's normal and it absolutely gets better. Superfeet will help the pain hold off for about 15 minutes longer. In either case, it goes away eventually.

I'm pretty sure my feet started killing me because the muscles in the bottom of my feet weren't used to flexing/relaxing so much in attempts to keep my balance.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
When I first got my last pair of skates my feet would basically be on fire for about half the game and it hurt like crazy, but eventually it would go away. Add I played with them for a few years the amount of time and burning slowly lessened. When I started going to public skates in recent years the burning was back, big time. I'm pretty sure part of it is due to the skates not fitting anymore, but when you can't wear skates regularly even a well-baked boot will get pretty uncomfortable. Your feet will tend to put up a fight and then give up and stop hurting later in the session, especially if you can get out more.

E: of course my last pair of skates were Grafs, and the thing about them being less comfortable than other skates in their price range is 100% true. they're great skates, but I'm almost definitely going back to Bauer for the sake of getting my feet used to skates again.

Vicas fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 12, 2012

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Krime posted:

The thing is... its the same as it was without the Superfeet which is why I'm bummed/frustrated.

It will go away. It's due to the minuscule muscles in your feet who helps your balance being overworked when you skate. Just try to skate regularly.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Had a guy on the other team last night get a 2 and a 10-minute unsportsmanlike for calling the ref "a loving midget".

:lol:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Had a guy on the other team last night get a 2 and a 10-minute unsportsmanlike for calling the ref "a loving midget".

:lol:

beer_league.wav

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Played in my first real game-like conditions tonight at clinic. 30 minutes straight of 9 player teams. No real lines, we just rotated out person by person as people got tired. I unfortunately often drew a D spot, which sucks since I can't skate backwards yet, but I had a few good plays on the puck.

As of right now, I'm nothing more than a gadfly on the ice, annoying the other team by knocking the puck out.

I also took my first check and had an play at the blue line into our zone. The other team was taking it out of their zone, where I tried to knock the puck out, and ultimately did, but not too far. Fell in the process. Once on the ice, my immediate reaction was to kick the puck down towards the right side of the slot to at least get it towards open ice (and away from the guy I took the puck from). The other winger got it at that point, and I honestly don't remember what happened then.

Feels good to at least have *some* hockey sense, even when on my rear end. I also still have a ways to go til I can play even in the low leagues, I guess.

In related news, I'm *really* loving the community here. They're really friendly and always willing to share advice. :) Hockey rules.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Saw this on my local news tonight. It's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYhE6Q2r3kU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Saw this on my local news tonight. It's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYhE6Q2r3kU

Oh for poo poo's sakes...

Reminds me of Beer League: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPZeyTkxunA

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

Oh for poo poo's sakes...

Reminds me of Beer League: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPZeyTkxunA

That is awesome and reminds me too well of a couple wives and parents of players on my team.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Did you happen to play at Warrendale tonight Benson?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I like how the one ref is just standing there

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

shyguy posted:

I like how the one ref is just standing there

I don't think refs are supposed to break up fights. I don't know how much they get paid, but I wouldn't want to mistakenly catch an elbow to the nose on the job.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Oh I agree, and I wish I remember what USA Hockey taught when I got my reffing cert way back when. Not worth a busted lip for a $30 gig. I just find it funny how casual it is, like "are you done :what:"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

shyguy posted:

Oh I agree, and I wish I remember what USA Hockey taught when I got my reffing cert way back when. Not worth a busted lip for a $30 gig. I just find it funny how casual it is, like "are you done :what:"

More like "better get your money's worth because you ain't playing at this rink again for a month once you get ejected."

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
I've been playing a lot lately, and I think I may have overdone it this week. I'm guessing I may have strained my groin muscles last night and not in the happy ending way. It seems better this morning. I don't think its worth a trip to the doctor.

Is rest the best way to get better, and how long before this goes away? I have games scheduled for Mondays and Wednesdays, and I can easily skip Saturday open skate and Thursday pickup.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
This is a rules-esque question. Is it considered a hand pass if I happen to knock the puck to a teammate with my hands? I mean sort of slapping it without trapping it in my palm, and I'm not playing it with my stick generally because when it's happened I'm not exactly on my skates, and am just doing whatever I can to get the puck to a teammate.

Or is this a rule that just gets overlooked in low level skill?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, any hand contact with the puck that pushes it towards another player is a hand pass.

They're legal in the defensive zone.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Yes, any hand contact with the puck that pushes it towards another player is a hand pass.

They're legal in the defensive zone.

Ah ok, that explains why it wasn't called then. Thanks.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Had a fun game last night but turned into a bit of a dive-fest against the most penalized team in the league. After we got a 10-minute misconduct for checking from behind (an open ice push in front of the net on the puck carrier by our defenseman), I got crosschecked in the back of the head into the post on the next shift and have a pretty awesome welt and a headache for my troubles. Guy got 2-minutes for crosschecking, game went out of control from there. :(

Still ended up with 2 goals and 2 assists and we won 5-4 but holy poo poo it felt unsafe out there during the 3rd.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

StyleFresh posted:

Had a fun game last night but turned into a bit of a dive-fest against the most penalized team in the league. After we got a 10-minute misconduct for checking from behind (an open ice push in front of the net on the puck carrier by our defenseman), I got crosschecked in the back of the head into the post on the next shift and have a pretty awesome welt and a headache for my troubles. Guy got 2-minutes for crosschecking, game went out of control from there. :(

Still ended up with 2 goals and 2 assists and we won 5-4 but holy poo poo it felt unsafe out there during the 3rd.

Yeah, I remember my first beer league game.

(Sorry. I couldn't help myself)

I'm lucky if I get two goals a season

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 16, 2012

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Today I learned 2 things at public skate:
1) Kids ages 8-15 and figure skaters have no care for who or where anyone is on the ice. I got slewfooted once and kicked in the head going backwards.

2) there is a real finesse to flipping from forwards to back. I keep on losing all of my momentum and doing some bizarre stop. Not like my backwards is good enough to keep going once I get it though :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AboveAndBeyond posted:

2) there is a real finesse to flipping from forwards to back. I keep on losing all of my momentum and doing some bizarre stop. Not like my backwards is good enough to keep going once I get it though :(

It's okay to come to a near stop when you're learning transitions.. it's normal.

Eventually your edgework will get better and you can do it without losing any momentum. It takes time to train the body to get the muscle movements down right. Not long after that you'll actually learn to gain speed off a transition. :science:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Today I learned 2 things at public skate:
1) Kids ages 8-15 and figure skaters have no care for who or where anyone is on the ice. I got slewfooted once and kicked in the head going backwards.

Figure skaters (sometimes, usually the teenagers) are the loving worst. At a two-hour skate, we spent an hour and a half going CCW. I figure, alright, let's flip it around. So a few minutes, and we're going clock-wise now. They get all uppity and say "you're going the wrong way." Which, made me laugh. Just because you can only skate in one direction doesn't mean the rest of us can't.

Anyways, they complain about it to the the teenage boys (who were being poo poo stains, too) and they manage to turn it around again.

I guess the overall moral of the story is teenagers are poo poo stains.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

shyguy posted:

We're supposed to break up fights.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Topoisomerase posted:

We're supposed to break up fights.
I remember the first time I needed to break up a fight in Frat League. Tried to do it by myself and got told after the incident that you're supposed to wait for the other ref and separate them at the same time.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Awesome Animals posted:

I remember the first time I needed to break up a fight in Frat League. Tried to do it by myself and got told after the incident that you're supposed to wait for the other ref and separate them at the same time.

Yep. That's general protocol.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Yeah, I remember my first beer league game.

(Sorry. I couldn't help myself)

I'm lucky if I get two goals a season

I know, I know. Just venting and my neck has been killing me all day and at the gym from the awesome post collision.

In other news, my girlfriend couldn't wait another day to give me my father's day gift! Mako w/ Hall curve 65 flex, unghh. Definitely gonna put a ring on it.

Might as well turn it into a discussion - How do you guys tape your sticks? I opted for waxed white tape to try it out with the stick color instead of my normal black friction tape. Maybe it will make my sweet toe drags even sweeter.

I used to go with the Dany Heatley but this time went with the tip + full wrap.

StyleFresh fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 17, 2012

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

White friction tape. About 80% of the blade, heel to toe for ULTIMATE PERFORMANCE. Then sex wax the poo poo out of it.

I replace the tape when the bottom of the blade is showing too much wear (probably every 6-9 games).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I tape heel to toe, 100% coverage, no gap in the wind so there's two layers of tape. But only because I use wood and it helps preserve the stick (and my blade is still fraying a bit right at the heel).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: no wax

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 17, 2012

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I don't like wax. I always go heel to about an inch from the blade with black tape, and then take a puck to flatten the tape down. Hasn't failed me yet.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
black friction tape, heel to toe, then sex wax and go over with a puck

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

lizardking posted:

black friction tape, heel to toe, then sex wax and go over with a puck

This how we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I've used the same giant candle for a couple years now. Much more cost effective than sex wax.