Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, everything sounds like such obvious advice but I never thought to make a mental checklist for each shot instead of just flinging the puck. It worked for my golf swing, should work for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I would go for the nicer, not mesh version, myself.

More videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJLZ1j5yEOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zzI1VjtC-Q

Better, I think, but it looks like I'm doing something... wrong with my hands just before release.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

coldwind posted:

Yes. Your hands need to lead your stick through the shot. Without fixing this, you will NEVER get a good shot.

Notice how you start with the stick straight up and down. Also, notice how as soon as you start the motion of your shot, your bottom hand is coming up and around already. If you're doing this, you won't ever get to a point where you can incorporate flexing your stick into your shot, and this will rob of you almost all your power and NOTHING you can do will make up for it.

Try this: When you set up to shoot, stand up closer to the middle of the board. Position the puck so that it's behind your back foot. Now, set your stick up how you'd start to shoot. You'll notice that your stick is going to go back behind you and the blade should be facing down into the ground. It should a little bit like the stick is anchored at the heel behind the puck, and tilted towards the net. ALL quality shots in hockey will have the stick in this position at some point during the shot, and how you get it there is what makes the shots different. THIS is the position that will help you leverage your weight transfer/anger/leaning/whatever.

Now, you should notice that from this position, if you push down with your bottom hand, your stick will flex. Got it? Cool. NOW shoot.

If you're still having problems, then try focusing on keeping your hands out in front of your stick and your blade pointed down into the ground for as long as possible during your shot. It may seem awkward, but contort your body however you need to do this. With enough practice, you may get the motion smoother and less awkward for you body, but the fundamentals should stay the same.

And here I thought that the only thing I was doing much better was keeping the stick blade pointed downwards. Oh well, I'll be back out there tomorrow.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

coldwind posted:

It's very possible, but it didn't really have the intended effect. My bad. That tip is not the magic bullet I thought it was going to be. I think it's kind of hard to interpret. :(

I am actually really interested in your shot development. My N/E team has probably 5-6 players who have the same flaw. They can't elevate it, though. I could always tell something was off, but I couldn't tell what and I wasn't sure how to fix it. I think watching your video gave me a similar vibe and has really helped me to figure out what it is that experienced shooters are doing that is so different from beginners.

I hope you don't feel too bad about me laying into your shot mechanics. A lot of people seem to have that kind of shot. My younger brother did once, and I spent almost two hours trying to fix it in the garage. It worked, but it was a lot of work and there has to be an easier way. Also, it was a long time ago and I don't remember what I told him.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm quite impressed that you managed to lift it, it's quite the feat.

Good luck, man, make sure you take video tomorrow, I want to see it.

I absolutely will tomorrow. I take video of every shot I take each day and only post some of it, though. that way I can look back on "film" and see what I can improve upon.

And I'd really prefer for you to lay into my mechanics. I never got to play hockey as a kid, and I probably would have gotten the same treatment from a coach as from you. If only I wasn't taking advice from a wings fan...

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Gio posted:

Two things:

First, use your wrists more to propel the puck and follow through with your shot. Basically, your left wrist should 'flip over' and point the blade of the stick toward the net. From the looks of it, you have the right idea--you have the puck start at the heel and move forward along the blade, but you stop and your blade stays angled backward. This is why the puck sort of wobbles, has little (or no) spin to it, and doesn't always "take off" at the toe of the blade. Obviously, the puck should stay parallel to the ground and spin or "saucer".

Not the greatest of angles, but his blade is pointing toward the net. If you had the blade flat on the ice through the entire shot, it would move 90 degrees at least. Think of it like flicking the puck, I guess!

Second, pull the puck further in back of you before you shoot, putting your weight on your left foot then transferring it to your right as you shoot. This is what gives you power, and while it's not important at your stage to focus on power, it's important because it teaches proper form.

Hopefully that made sense.

Little tips are the most helpful things right now. That way when I go out tomorrow I can just look at this thread and be like, "okay, blade down, hands in front, weight on back leg, shift weight, turn over wrist, hopefully suck less every time out"

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
More videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0lP2NnuZ9E

This next one is with a 65 flex intermediate stick I bought for real cheap on hockey monkey, whereas the first video is with the wooden one I bought when I first started playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK7J5aC1Mzo

I think starting with the puck much further back has helped a lot. I think I need more knee bend so that I can get more of my weight on the stick to flex it, and I also need to work on the wrist action in the follow through.

Lastly, many of the shots I took were going wide of the net to the left. Watching the videos, it looks like maybe I am opening up the toe too much before I start the motion of my shot.

I really appreciate all the feedback. Stuff like this is when I realize that SA was :10bux: well spent.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

coldwind posted:

Looking a lot better!! Progress is great. Starting with that puck back helped a lot.

I'd say try to do slow work on using your hands and legs to keep the stick at the same angle to the ground as long as possible. If we're looking at a frame when the puck is behind your back foot and a frame when the puck is almost to your front foot, it should like the stick has done nothing but shifted forward. Confusing? Have a picture!!

Excuse the poor drawing. See how the nice blue stick is sort of parallel to the original stick? Getting your top and bottom hands in a position to keep the stick like that make you naturally want to drop that back knee and bend your front knee. And guess what? Your weight has transferred beautifully. Didn't even have to think about your legs. Your top hand is going to be out in front of your body. As it is, your top hand is hugging your rib a little bit too much.

From this position, when you "flick" the puck, the top hand is going to sweep up and then come back to your ribcage and the bottom hand is going to swing out front.

But really, don't worry about all the little mechanical details. I would practice slowly at this point and work on keeping that stick at the same angle and getting it out as far in front of your body as possible. Get it further than illustrated in the picture. Try getting the puck all the way up to your front foot with that stick still at the same angle. This is going to require that you shift your weight really well and it's going to get your legs into the action in a way that you won't even have to think about it.

This is just a drill, though. When you start shooting in non-slow-mo for realsies, you probably won't be getting that stick as far out in front as you would during the drill, but getting that muscle memory is really going to help your technique and really help you get that weight and Iron-Maiden-anger into the puck for a sick shot.

Your follow through/wrist turning could use another 90° of rotation. REALLY turn that wrist around.

You're really, really close. Very pleased with the progress. That sounds condescending, like I'm your personal instructor or something. Oh well. I think only a few more changes and you're going to have a wicked shot. Well, in shoes. Everything is different on ice and skates, but...you know. You'll have the foundation down.

Wouldn't worry about accuracy too much just yet. You don't want to get accurate before you've finished making all the tweaks because those tweaks might throw things off.

EDIT: Just noticed on some of these shots, you're still opening your blade up and sort of chipping under it. Working on getting that stick far out front still parallel to it's original position will get rid of this.

You're pretty much incredible. I'll be back at it tomorrow afternoon sometime, then I'll probably head over to the rink for rat hockey and see how much I can get to translate to ice, at least for now. Really looking forward to it.

Since you've taken such a personal interest in me, I'd like to at least get you a new avatar or something. Let me know.

EDIT: I can totally feel how close I am, too. It's gonna be awesome the first time I really rip one, I can tell. So excited.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 4, 2011

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I was out back practicing today, but I was getting really frustrated because I wasn't lifting the puck at all and felt like I had a bit of regression. I'll be back out once more today but if it doesn't go any better I'm gonna hold off until Monday before making more any more video. I'm feeling sore, so maybe I just need a rest. Thanks for all the encouragement, though. You guys are awesome.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I was out back practicing today, but I was getting really frustrated because I wasn't lifting the puck at all and felt like I had a bit of regression. I'll be back out once more today but if it doesn't go any better I'm gonna hold off until Monday before making more any more video. I'm feeling sore, so maybe I just need a rest. Thanks for all the encouragement, though. You guys are awesome.

EDIT: Changed my mind, went back out once it was a little cooler and felt much more comfortable. Here are a couple more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXpSsQEiCek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcO3g_AFKNA

Thoughts: I'm doing a bit better with the weight transfer, thought I'm not sure if dropping my back leg is okay or not. still need to work on getting my bottom wrist all the way over, and getting that arc with my top hand. I've been telling myself to hit myself in the ribs with that top hand, and it has helped some. Finally, really need to find some way to get my hands out further so I can get the stick further forward before release like coldwind so deftly illustrated. All in all, I think these look better today than yesterday.

Aaaaaaaaaaand i double posted. Thanks SALR.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Practice 1

Practice 2

Practice 3

Maybe I'm getting better? I haven't looked at my last videos to compare but I'll do that now. It's like 105 degrees in my backyard so I haven't got a lot of practice in today. Maybe when it cools off I'll head back out.

EDIT: indeed I think I am getting a bit better about keeping my hands in front longer and snapping my wrists over. I was also much more precise today; Most all of my shots were going to the same place instead of sometimes half of them going wide. I really think I'm getting the hang of it and more practice should help me bring all this stuff together.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 7, 2011

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

WouldDesk posted:

It looks better but GODDAMMIT Lawnie :argh: that goal is not your friend, get mad at it. The goal stole your girlfriend.

And as always, play music Iron Maiden while practicing, especially alone. It seriously helps.

The shot at about :48 seconds of the third video looked pretty drat perfect. Hot days can suck when you shoot hundreds of shots, I learned to finally enjoy it.

Alright FINE I will download some Iron Maiden and play it next time I'm practicing.

oddly enough I considered printing out a picture of my ex-girlfriend and putting it in the goal because that would just be funny

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
there's nothing wrong with burying my deep-seated resentment towards someone deep down until i can fling hockey pucks at it

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Blinks posted:

I've been playing at a low level for the last four years. In the UK hockey is a minority sport, and we don't get decent ice time slots (usually midnight slots and at £10 an hour, which is equivalent to $18).

Because of the ice time issues, I've had a hard time mastering some skills (for my level) but my positioning is good for a stay at home D-man, and I can make decent passes, shoot a decent slapper from the blue, but the one thing I can't do and not for the lack of trying, is lift the puck on a wristy.

I've tried the flick technique, as described by my coaches, and I've tried the scoop technique ( but that just lacks any kind of power and accuracy). I can lift it on my slapshot, and snapshot but with a wristshot I can't seem to do it. I know this has probably been covered here already, apologies for asking for the advice but after a 2/3 year absence from this forum I figured it would be nice to get some tips from every day guys, even if it is pointing me to the right page to view in this thread, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Blinks

I highly recommend doing what I've been doing the last 2 weeks or so, and that is taking video of myself shooting and posting it here. Seriously, my shot is like 1000% better because of it (no really, like actually 10 times better than it was when I started).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

I think it's been said in the thread, but these shooting mats are nothing but HDPE, yeah?

I've sourced a guy in SoCal that has 48"x96" sheets for $40 + shipping. Seems like a very good price. Just want to make sure it's what i need before I order it.

A quick google says that it indeed is simply HDPE...

which I wish I knew my dad could get for me really cheap. flooring salesman :negative:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
oh no i've been using skate guards for like 6 months my skates are ruined i will get soakers asap :(

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I scored a garbage goal off a rebound of my own beautiful wrist shot on friday. Which gives me 3 in pickup games for my entire career (6 months)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What douchey team actually scores 24 goals in a game? Are you kidding me?

I had a guy wind up a full slapshot on a 2-on-1 that I was defending in pickup on Friday. Hit me on the side of the shin right where the plastic ended, and hurt pretty bad. This wouldn't have been a problem, I mean, I was standing in the shooting lane, but he had already walked around me 3 or 4 times before and i think he was just mad i didn't get out of the way immediately.

in short, people are dicks.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

coldwind posted:

Wait, if nobody ever gets hurt, then why were you yelling at this guy for taking chest-high slapshots? He apparently isn't going to hurt anybody very much.

Taking a high shot is perfectly legitimate (assuming he wasn't TRYING to cause injury), even if it's not the smartest hockey move. Sometimes it happens by accident, too. And you don't even know if the dude had his head up and knew there were that many guys in front of the net. We aren't all professional level players with impeccable and perfectly consistent technique who can pick corners and skate with their heads up at all times and it's perfectly reasonable to expect that the players on the ice are either adequately protected for any shot you take or prepared to accept the consequences of not being protected.

If you go over the risk-reward and decide wearing a visor or not wearing shoulder pads or whatever is worth more than the risk, that's fine. But don't go reaping all the reward, then blame somebody else when the risk comes back to bite you in the rear end. I'm not going to change my game just to accomodate you enjoying all the rewards and avoiding all the risk. If a goalie decided he wanted to wear player shoulders because he was more comfortable, then asked you to not shoot hard so he doesn't get hurt, you'd tell him to gently caress off.

I wear every piece of gear I have every time I play (including stick and puck) because you never know. I'd rather not die from a puck to the chest stopping my heart or a stick knocking out 3 teeth. Obviously those things are almost impossibly unlikely, but there's no reason for me not to protect myself as much as possible.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

The guy in my anecdote from earlier plays for OU, he can control his slapper just fine. He was going for some Heatley-roofit nonsense, which was even stupider because there were a half dozen people between him and the net. Conversely I don't yell at lovely players who can't control their slappers, I just get out of the way.

Okay I have to hear this guy's name now. I'm pretty sure OU had a player last year that got like 4 misconducts over the course of the year, one for taking a baseball swing at a player's knees. I'm pretty sure it's Justin King.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to get back to campus and start playing pickup there again. I think I've gotten much, much better this summer so it will be fun to go and play with all the guys that saw me at my very worst again.

Chemmy posted:

What do you do?

How does it feel to have goons continually begging you for work?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

Fantastic! I'm not hiring you untalented slobs for poo poo.

i might be untalented and i might be a slob but i thought our joint participation in an internet forum would have meant more to you.

also, i'm gonna memorize that phase diagram just to spite you.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Anybody ever break a toe? How long was it until you could play again? I broke mine on Saturday and now I might not be able to play for a few weeks which really blows.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

StyleFresh posted:

Make sure you get it splinted or wrapped up with another toe asap and in most cases you should be good in a few weeks unless the break is ridiculous. I once failed to get a toe break looked at and it ended up healing awkwardly and hurting when I bent it for years until it was broken again.

I've been taping it at home since i broke it, to my middle toe. It's bruised pretty badly but doesn't look too bent. I don't think I need it looked at. Hopefully a few weeks will heal it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'd rather play with a bunch of ringers than not play at all.

loving toe.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Aniki posted:

Are there any skate laces on the market that either have a metal sleeve at the end of the lace or at least has a plastic sleeve that doesn't break after a couple of weeks? I've just been using the standard waxed A&R (?) laces and I'm sick of the sleeve breaking and rendering the laces useless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evcsj1gx1CE

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

The other team we played tonight didn't have a goalie so we decided we'd borrow one from one of teams playing before us. It was a girl. She was both really good and really hot. I did not know these things existed.

She stopped me on 4 breakaways but I still scored 5, I don't know if I get to keep my penis or not.

You scored on her five times bro, you definitely get to keep it :whatup:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
god i never want to leave my campus intramurals. $125 for a team or $25 if you're signing up as a free agent

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

In our league we just scrimmage. What's lame is the refs take off. They're getting paid they should at least drop the drat puck.

This is what we do, too. It was actually really fun to play against teammates and I even scored a goal on our goalie. Guess how many goals I scored the rest of the season 0

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm still a total noob but no one has ever said anything to me about how lovely I am. Most people just ignore me and avoid giving me the puck, which is usually alright with me. My vision on the ice is incredibly poor and I often find myself passing basically to the other team, even on the (extremely sloppy) breakout.

Actually last week one of the players on the club team was on a 2-on-1 with me that he easily could have scored on by himself, but instead he yelled at me to go to the net. I missed the pass and the puck went harmlessly into the corner, but it was still :3: for someone who almost never touches the puck in the offensive zone.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

nahanahs posted:

It's a roller hockey rec house league and Guy #1 was me. I don't really know if I had my head down, or I was just looking to my right, where I was going. Most of the impact came from my speed, but I find it hard to believe he didn't know I was coming, since he took my 200 pounds full speed and didn't go down.
I was just asking in general. I'm pretty sure he knew he screwed up, because he started dropping excuses immediately.

A cross check is a cross check is a cross check. That said, if it really was an accident and he apologized, i wouldn't take too serious of offense. Sometimes you gently caress up, but you're there to have fun. Don't let it ruin your day.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

106 last night, played roller outside, didn't drink enough water while playing and got a touch of heat exhaustion. Got sonic double cheeseburger on my way home. Cramped up, took two bites of burger, didn't have enough energy to shower so I just crawled into bed all smelly. Laid there for 2 hours unable to sleep, got up, showerd, took Ambien, got back in bed. Bed smelled because I got into it without showering, got back up, played some weird RPG on computer for 2 hours while spacing on Ambien (I'm 90% sure elf sex was involved, I don't really remember). Finally fell asleep on floor next to computer chair, woke up on top of uneaten double cheeseburger.

In conclusion I have the decision making and survival skills of a 5 year old. An immature 5 year old.

Also Sidney Crosby, post scramble

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

trilljester posted:

Are you getting paid to play hockey? No? Wear a full cage.

more like "are you a frat bro who's obsessed with machismo? if not, wear a full cage."

at least that's what it's like at my rink, which requires a full cage. bros love to bitch about that requirement, though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

And I thought Sakic's pattern was unusable. That looks terrible

I use Sakic's pattern. I like the Iginla curve a lot better, though; I can actually shoot a backhand with the Iginla, whereas with the Sakic everything just flutters softly along the ice.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

elemenohpee posted:

I'm not a huge fan of playing with any alcohol in the system but some teammates and myself play pretty blazed nearly every time. So much fun.

Any other stoner hockey goons out there?

probably just me and :okpos:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Tape chat: Bud and I were talking at lunch recently about the effect of taping from toe-to-heel or heel-to-toe.

Does anyone think it matters? There's guys out there that are convinced the direction of the winding effects puck stability when shooting: if you tape from heel-to-toe it gets more spin and flies better, and toe-to-heel it's a little more unpredictable. Theory being, the puck hitting the edges of the tape effects how it travels. There's also chatter about the overlap between winds of tape effecting shots, and how taping toe-to-heel supposedly wears the tape out more quickly.

While I'm sure the effect is non-zero, we both had doubts that it was a significant enough of a difference to change the outcome of a shot. Since we're computer nerds we talked about how one would go about modeling it on a computer. Neither of us are materials experts so it never got farther than that, but I've been curious about it ever since.

I figured it fit in well enough with "what color tape do you like" that I'd bring it up here.

I find it extremely unlikely that there is a statistically significant difference. taping heel to toe causes the puck to go up the ridges on the stick to generate spin on a shot, whereas taping toe to heel causes it to go down those ridges. You're creating more friction when it goes up the ridges, but it's extremely small, particularly if you're waxing your stick as well. I don't think that this small difference in the friction generated would impact your shot much at all.

:science:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Figure skaters get the best ice time everywhere. News at 11

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pleads posted:

Sticks: $80
Tape and wax and jersey and poo poo: $40
New helmet: $85
League fees: $510
Hockey tonight: Priceless

Send me the royalties when they roll in, Visa.

(I am going to suck so, so bad on the ice. I hope my addiction to NHL12 has maintained my hockey sense at least.)

It won't. Trust me.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
also that study had people run a marathon. how many of you are athletes that could run a marathon even with plenty of rest? i wouldn't automatically assume that your average joe hockey player could not sleep for 2 days and then play perfectly well.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

toxicsunset posted:

A 100 flex stick does not store more energy than a 67 flex, it's just less flimsy and more accurate because of that. Less 'wobble'. Does a piece of plywood spring you higher in the air in place of a trampoline mat? No. Just because more energy is required to flex the stick does not mean there is more energy stored. You should use whatever stick is the stiffest that you can use the maximum amount of flex with. A stick 'twice as stiff' does not store 'twice as much' energy, that's kind of an absurd thought, otherwise you're claiming that guys like Kessel above's shots have 33% less energy behind them than the guys who use 100 flex in the NHL. Which is basically telling me that you're saying professional hockey players opt to have shots nearly half as strong as they could be, purposely.

I think you might have a poor understanding of energy, also you're toxicsunset. A 100 flex stick will store more energy at some deflection than a 65 flex would at the same deflection. Energy is equal to half the spring constant (flex) times the square of the deflection. The spring model is a really easy and applicable model in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

It's probably a technique thing like other people will mention here. Just don't forget to keep working out and doing regular strength training for all parts of your arm and your core. Even your legs with the weight transfer. Seems like many beer leaguers think the problem can be solved by getting a new stick, more flex, different curve, etc when there comes a point where you'd be better served by just getting a little stronger. You could be a bodybuilder for all I know, so this might be all for naught.

Also, if you want a stick that will cause you to shelf a puck (and have a joke of a backhand) look for a Sakic pattern.

I just realize I've probably dated myself and they likely haven't made those in many years. :sigh:

I have a Sakic. My backhand is indeed a joke (and my forehand, and my stickhandling, and my... :sigh: )

I also have an EZ goal which I like a lot. The setup was a bit of a pain because you have to thread the net on which takes quite a while, but it seems to have held up pretty well.