Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Rutkowski posted:

Floorball is awesome and for new players it's really cheap. A decent stick can be found for cirka 30 bucks(cirka 60-80 for semipro stuff, a pro friend of mine is sponsored but would have to pay cirka 150 bucks for each stick) and a good pair of indoor sneakers.

Don't underestimate the amount of power in the game at the lower levels though. Accidental collisions are aplenty and that's how I recieved my concussion.

Hockey is an incredibly physical sport. I never thought I would actually get hurt in beginner league intramurals, but I got a concussion in a game earlier this year. Luckily it was very minor, but the game is very contact heavy regardless of the level of checking allowed. It's one of the things I really like about it. There's no such thing as beer league football where you get to play a physical style, but hockey affords the opportunity to play the game at a pretty physical level compared to other sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Dude I know you got a concussion and that sucks but the contact in beer league is nothing close to how physical the game is in a contact league. Is it possible that part of the reason you got hurt not the amount of contact but that you're just beginning and don't have the best balance and control of yourself and don't know how to handle the littlest contact?

It's like Flag Football dudes being physical at the line or running into someone while trying to grab a flag. There's still contact and it's still "physical" but the constant threat of having your head completely knocked off isn't there. Real contact hockey is a completely different game in terms of strategy and play style. Beer league just isn't that physical in comparison.

Whoa I didn't mean to imply that I play an extremely physical game or anything, merely pointing out that the game, at any level, can be dangerous. Sure there isn't the constant threat of getting nailed, but there's an inherently non-zero chance of taking significant contact if, for example, you're going into the corner and someone is behind you chasing after a puck, particularly when one or both of those players aren't very experienced.

I'm sorry I brought up the concussion. It doesn't actually have any bearing on the discussion at hand and was me trying to inject some sort of anecdotal evidence into an argument. Also it was like a month ago, no one gives a poo poo anymore.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Cool Ranch posted:

This may be the wrong thread for it, but I just wanted to vent a bit. I think I finally convinced 3 total hockey/skating virgins to come play hockey with me and it's been years since I even laced my skates. For some reason they are afraid of ice and wanted to start with inline. It's always awesome teaching people hockey, because once they start they're addicted.

Anyway, I'm in Knoxville and there doesn't seem to be any inline rinks around anymore, and the two outdoor public areas that I know of are always filled with people playing soccer. I love soccer, but man, that's a dick move.

Is anyone around Knoxville, and if so, where the hell can you play inline around here? Awesome OP, by the way, I will make my friends check it out so they don't learn too wrong from me.

I'm gonna be in Jackson for the summer, and so far, I haven't been able to find a rink anywhere near there. I'm very sad :smith:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I would literally kill to be able to take a learn to play class. I need a lot of instruction to get better.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I hate that I've been playing for a year and a half and put my skill level as "just starting out" because I can only get on the ice once a week, and I don't even make it every week. Thanks a million, lovely ice times at the university's rink.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Wait until the "real world" and you struggle to get on the ice 2x a week and pay 5x as much to do so

I have a real world job for the summer and after an 8 hour work day I don't think i could handle more than 45 minutes on the ice.

However, someone at the steel mill invited me to play roller with him sometime. He says he has an old pair of skates, but one only has 3 wheels. I've never played roller before; will using them kill me?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
"sorry dude, the guy who runs the drop-in doesn't want any more new guys coming. I'd like it if you could come, but I don't run the skate. I'll let you know if you can come in another time. Sorry."

I personally wouldn't be offended if someone told me the skate was probably too high-level for me, but I'm god awful and I don't take this poo poo that seriously so as to take offense to someone pointing that out to me. That said, you can be tactful and tell a little white lie. If he's reasonable, he'll just get over it, like most people would.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm no astrophysicist, but I study materials engineering. Talking about playing hockey (leaving out the "I'm horrendous" part) and doing hockey broadcasts works much better on girls than "hey so I did this cool thing where I figured out how to increase yield in a steel mill."

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Appreciate the incredible athleticism in all sports and you'll be much more entertained. Except golf. That's not a sport (by my personal definition which will not get discussed here because it is the dumbest argument ever).

Content: I haven't skated in 3 months and I won't be able to for at least a month more. I'm going to be so bad once I get back out there, but I'll be thrilled to finally be playing again.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

In Tennessee everyone is very impressed.

While I was interviewing for a job in Tennessee I had someone ask me to do a radio call. It was awkward and weird and I did it but I got the job. Too bad the closest rink is in Memphis, over an hour away :(

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

Wait like, call in to a radio show? That is weird.

No I mean like they asked me to emulate doing a play-by-play radio call of a hockey game. I did a 5 second goal call and I felt weird as poo poo.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

EvilTwig posted:

Got my rear foot caught on something as I was going over the boards last night. This pulled me off balance and I landed on my backside in front of the bench as play was coming into that area. All I hear is the coach saying 'don't forget your stick, rear end in a top hat' and a bunch of laughter from everyone on the bench.

Whoa, Martin havlat posts here? Awesome! I loved you when you were on the hawks, and I was at that playoff game where you scored the ot winner against Calgary 9 seconds into the period.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

shdwdmg posted:

I am up in Lake County; There are a bunch of options, but it looks like Rinkside in Gurnee has the best options, and is close to home.

But I will check out those resources. I can do just about anything except stop.

This is from a long time ago but I grew up in Gurnee and have played at rink side a few times since I started playing a couple years ago. I only play there when I'm home on break from school but it's a decent rink and most of the people who play there are just fine. However, when the Warren high school players come out its incredibly obnoxious because they're 16 and 16 year olds are dicks. Just so you know.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

Hey, I've got a question for those of you who know the subtleties of the rules better.

Most people know that dumping the puck from behind the midline so it crosses your opponents goal line is icing. Sometimes you'll hear this referred to as "the puck can't cross two red lines". This got me thinking. What about when a puck is dumped from behind your own goal line? So if you're really down low and dump the puck out so it crosses the mid-line, by the "two red line" convention, that's icing. In an extreme case where you really knock the poo poo out of the puck and manage to get it all the way across the rink, it would certainly be a conventional icing of sorts.

However, http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26494 seems to indicate that it WOULDN'T be icing.

Of course, there's no strategic advantage in dumping the puck like that, but it was just a thought I had.

So I guess the "question" part is just whether I got this right.

That would be ludicrous. That's not icing; the puck has to cross your opponent's goal line for icing to be called.

In the old NHL, though, that would be illegal if someone on your own team touched the puck after it crossed the red line. We used to call that the two line pass, but now twolinepass is just a bitter goon (flames fan, poor guy) who writes for puck daddy.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
So the chinstrap (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnOugDiaHMY) on my helmet is busted. The snap on one side corroded so badly that it ripped off when I tried to pull the snap off. Is this something I can easily replace, or do I have to buy a whole new helmet? I've played a couple games since using just the cage straps to keep the helmet on, but that's an obviously dangerous and dumb thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

If bits of metal are rusting off your helmet, I'd check the expiration date on the thing, because they're only rated to protect you for a certain number of years.

If the lid is older than you are, just replace it.

It's only a couple years old. I had a long lull in playing due to getting hurt/having mono, so it sat in my bag in my basement for too long.

Thanks for the tips guys!!!

E: someone mentioned materials science: there's a lot more that goes into the life of a material than how many impacts it has taken. Different helmet padding materials are also designed for differing numbers of impacts. For example, bicycle helmets are designed for 1 impact, then they should be replaced.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 11, 2013