Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Habibi posted:

But that's purely physical. I think once you throw in a mental component like you find in sports (vs just performing a repetitive physical activity) that lack of sleep is going to make you a physically unaffected sportretard.

I think this is definitely true, the big problem for me with being exhausted going into a game isn't the physical aspect, but making all the calls you need to make to get to the right spot on the ice in a given situation. A tenth of a second doesn't seem like much, but it is the difference between being in the right place at the right time, and being out of position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Interesting question as to the location of the face-off. I believe the should be in the neutral zone, though. cite.

It should be in the neutral zone at one of the dots by the blueline, not centre ice.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Organised hockey is the best hockey. I love drop in, but it's basically pond hockey but on a surface that is way too big. Pond hockey is the bomb cause there's just no space so you're constantly dangling and making cheeky little passes, which is awesome. On the big surface though, everyone is still playing at the same pace as on the rink, and therefore it's just a lovely version.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Verman posted:

Dont lay down and go to sleep right away.

Wear a yellow jersey so people know "DONT HIT ME BRO, IM LINDROSSING OVER HERE"

Lay off the hockey. When I got my concussions, they both felt like I had a splitting headache, more like a migraine. Made me nauseous, really sensitive to light, pretty wobbly on my feet. If I'm not mistaken, the doctor gave me some pain killers, told me to rest and lay off sports for a few weeks to a month. This was also back in high school (10 years ago) so I can't remember correctly.

All this is great advice, and nearly exactly what I've had doctors tell me.

The don't lie down and go to sleep thing is less about a concussion, and more about the chance that there is a bleed in the brain. This will kill you if you go to sleep. The test my doctor did to check for one was simple. He put his hands on my head and felt around, asking me if any where hurt. He's feeling for swelling, and you're looking for pain (obviously). If any localised part of the head truly hurts (not so much, ow, that stings a bit, more holy gently caress that's painful!), there's a chance that there's a bleed in there, and you need to get to a hospital to have the fluid drained immediately.

I realise none of this is likely useful to you now, but it could be useful to anyone else who gets concussed.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Pretty much anywhere :smuggo:

I live by the blue dot. Ottawa is awesome for outdoor rinks. Plus we have the canal for just skating. Aka, dates.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

One of the things about tournaments, though, is that the games are usually shorter. By beer league standards, they're just as long (an hour) but when you're used to playing hour and a half or 2 hour games, playing 2 or 3 hour long games, while admittedly draining, is no where near as bad as it sounds.

One of the teams I played on, we had an arch nemesis team in our league that we could barely ever beat in league play, but could (somewhat) easily beat them in tournaments. However, they were "built" to be extremely strong in league play, while we were built as a "tournament team". That is, conditioning was one of the most important factors in our practices. As an example, we would do all our conditioning drills at the very start of practice so that we were practicing on "3rd period legs". Hell, we often have a bunch of conditioning drills done at the end of practice as well. On the opposite side, the other team was having much easier (from our point of view) practices where the emphasis was much more on systems. So, on the Sunday of a tourney, we would go out, still be able to play our game with no changes because of the shape we were in, while they would struggle.

I miss practice :(

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Other than playoffs (where winning gets you another game, aka, more playing time for the less good players) my teams do literally none of that poo poo. We roll whatever lines we have. The one exception is when we have 8 forwards, then the best two forwards rotate as centres while everyone else plays wing. This doesn't happen very often.

I'd seriously complain about that poo poo.

I can understand the occasional missed shift from pk's, but that kinda crap is inexcusable.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

cenzo posted:

HZ, that's crazy man -- we actually beat the only undefeated team last night in the last game of the regular season, and we won 8-5. 80% of their team is from the league higher than ours, I think it helped that they played the game right before ours too. I was the only person on the team who didn't score a goal, but that's ok :unsmith:

That means we were put into the "middle" playoff bracket and get to play again tonight. Gotta love back-to-backs!

Similarly, I need to work on my acceleration. Is there a definitive "best" way accelerate? I try to get low and really push my legs out backwards with long strides, and obviously do that as fast as I can. Would shorter, bursty type movements work better? Who can know all of this?

First 3 strides are supposed to be short, hard and powerful basically to get some momentum going immediately. Those three strides are pretty much the only time you should be pushing straight behind you, the rest of the time you should be trying to push more out the side with really long strides.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

poser posted:

I think refs just make stuff up.. Back when I was playing roller we had no glass between the bench and the box so I would just hope over from the box to the bench.. some ref called too many men once because I didnt step on the floor.

That's too many men. When you have a penalty, you're required to step on the ice (floor, whatever) before proceeding to the players bench. No player from the bench may enter play until either a. you proceed to the bench to make a legal line change or b. there is a whistle.

i scored a sick goal last night, me and my buddy hosed up a play at the blueline, resulting in me being offside, and him having essentially a breakaway that he can't take advantage of. So I get to the line, he goes in, sees the 2 dmen have gotten into position, drops the puck to me. The close dman moves to keep following him, and the other guy stops. I see that there's a lane and I take advantage going around the 2nd dman wide shortside. Cut to the front of the net, and go backhand. Shelf. :c00l:

E:

Dangerllama posted:

I've seen a couple of refs lament players changing off-sides, but I don't understand why. Nowhere that I can find in USA Hockey rules does it say players can't enter the ice in the attacking zone. Obviously, they may be off-side, but as long as they tag up, it's a non-issue. N'est pas?

Is this just a preference?

There's no rules saying you can't stand offside or change offside or whatever. That said, it's always a good idea for the forwards to jump on and off the ice from the middle of the bench in general, but in particular during the 2nd so that you never run the risk of having a play offside cause one guy took too long getting through the gate. Admittedly, this doesn't work in low-level hockey, but still.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 5, 2011

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

e: what he said. :hfive:

xzzy posted:

So I did a thing in scrimmage the other night that got me thinking I have a limited idea of what I can do with my stick to interfere with another player's stick. I know interference rules and stick fouls, but I haven't sat down and read the whole rule book cover to cover (so I suppose this means I should do that).

I was chasing the play and had no real chance of getting the puck myself. But I did catch up to the opposing player and I was able to drop my stick on top of his, near the blade, which allowed my teammate who did have a shot at the puck to win possession.

No one said anything and I think what I did was okay, but am not 100% sure. What can I legally do to slow down someone's attempt to collect the puck?

This is legal. With that said, a better action is to go under his stick and lift it just as he's about to do something, anything, with it. this will give you a chance to use his loss of possession to get the puck yourself, or at least make him stop whatever he's doing to try and get the puck back. You need to be careful though, as if you miss and don't keep your stick under control you could easily end up high sticking the dude. So basically, the ideal is that you do a hard but short motioned upwards slash, then grab the puck immediately after. It takes some practice, but works incredibly well.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 6, 2011

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I love it because I hate it when defenders do it to me in front of the net.

This is why I keep my stick off the ice in front of the net :smuggo:

No seriously, I'll wait until there's a chance the dude will pass, while moving around constantly so I can't be tied up, ie. switching from strong side to weak side. Then as soon as there's a chance for a pass, I put the stick down so the dude has a target, then I get my stick the gently caress off the ice, just to put it down either for a one timer, or put it down with all my weight behind it for a tip.

It works great, but it definitely is more useful to me as a small player (I'm 5'6) buzzing around, dropping down low or up high that it would for a big dude who's gonna want to be more of a net presence, particularly for screening the goalie which I barely do since most goalies I play against can just see over me anyway. Don't get me wrong, I still screen when I get the chance, it's just not usually useful.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

real_scud posted:

See and I want to say if you're in front of net always keep your stick on the ice. Hell last night on the goal I assisted, I came in on the right side with a bunch of steam, started to lose and puck and stopped up to circle back around. As I was doing this my linemate crashed the net and was on the inside of his man at the far post, because he has his stick down and I put a perfect tape-to-tape pass on his stick he literally didn't have to do anything except use his stick to deflect the puck into the net.

If he didn't have his stick on the ice the entire time he probably wouldn't have scored because I wheeled around at the point and just flung the puck towards the net. I'm about 99% certain he wasn't expected the pass to happen, but good things happen when you get near the net and keep your stick on the ice.

Yeah, in that situation I agree. This guy even has a good explanation! (for me to steal)

Green Submarine posted:

Different scenarios. I think everyone would say that the player driving the net should always have stick on ice. If you're parked in front, though, and have time to read the play, then you might be able to keep it off the ice to avoid the D tying it up while waiting for your moment to show tape.

re: low level hockey keeping the stick on the ice at all times:

I've played AAA midget, so I'm not a beginner, and I don't really play in low level leagues. I also know that what works for me isn't what will work for everyone, regardless of skill. With that said, I'm not gonna win many battles with a bigger dman, and I know that. So I avoid letting them take me out of the play. On a break, I don't have this problem, so I just keep the stick on the ice where I want the puck. I've gotten so many goals and assists outta this, it's not even funny.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Reffing requires a totally different mindset, it's really incredibly hard because there is literally judgment in every single call. Something that might be a no brainer penalty in one game, you might not even think about calling in another. It's weird as gently caress.

Also, I broke my Synergy last night :(. At least we don't play another league game until January...

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

And while you're making these constant judgement calls, you also have to make sure to be 100% mindful of your positioning, your partners' positioning, the players on the ice, activity around the benches, the movement of the puck and activity away from the puck, the general game flow, etc. I mean even something that seems so trivial as calling a penalty or attributing a goal + assists to the right players can be super difficult if you haven't been 100% ON and tuned in to all of these things at once. Especially at the very beginning when none of that is yet coming 'naturally' to you it can be super daunting. There have definitely been times in my (still very few - 4 games as a referee in a 2 official system and 5 games as a linesman in a 3 official system) officiating experiences where I've seen a play where I probably should call a penalty but by the time I processed it and thought through what to call and the logistics of making the call, I've lost track of which player actually committed it, play has moved on and well, I can't call it then.

It's easy to criticize officials from the ice or bench, but as I've probably said multiple times, I've been a lot more respectful towards them since I started reffing myself.

I reffed before I moved away for university, and a hugely difficult part is being in the right place at the right time without thinking about where you need to be so that you can be completely focused on the play. 3-man system is a lot easier because there is, 99% of the time, a place where you should be. 2-man, is so much harder because you need to be in place to make the linesmans calls (offsides, icing) as well as being in the right place to make the refs calls. It helps a bit to have a partner to make those ref calls, but the other ref will usually be in a pretty lovely place to make a call. Hell, in the neutral zone you're both in a lovely positions to make calls.

One of the tricks to learning how to just instinctively be in position is, when you're doing a lower level than normal game, make sure that you get into the right spots as quickly as possible. You'll notice 2 things. 1) you spend a lot of time standing around, and 2) when you get back to the higher level games, you'll just go to those spots since you don't have time to think about it.

I miss reffing, but when I started back up out here I was bumped down from doing high level competitive hockey to low level non-contact houseleague, and it just wasn't fun, no intensity, and after 2 years with no advancement despite having every official I worked games questioning why I only got lovely games, I eventually said gently caress it. I might get back into once I'm a bit more settled, but for now, I'm done with reffing.

I really only get truly pissed at refs when they make the wrong call because of their terrible positioning, or when they make a rules mistake. I know the book a bit too well, since it was my uh, bathroom reading for years. I've only lost it in 6 years of beer league once, and that ref deserved it.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The reason you rotate centres is because you (theoretically) put your best players at centre. these guys should also generally have the smarts to change independently of the wingers, and since they're your best players, won't hurt the team if they are tired. That said, it's certainly better to go from 5 D to 4. Now, if you'd need to go down to 3 D, that's a lovely situation and tired centres is superior. It's also easier to manage, which is another good thing in beer league. The centres should also know when they are burnt and need a winger to take their spot for a shift but often this won't happen due to pride or what have you.

All that said, the best situation is 2 lines, 4 d. :colbert: Seriously, if the team is in shape enough for this, it's totally better. Everyone is more in the game, ready to go every shift, penalties are easily dealt with, it's just more fun. Most beer league teams aren't in this kind of shape though, and the 3 lines + 5-6 D is better because of that pesky fact.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

And this is why you wait for the ground to freeze and for there to be snow. I can't even begin to understand how much water that is, it's crazy.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

So I decided when buying my most recent one piece, that I'd try a whippier one. I usually use a 100 flex Eastons. Got an 85 flex Synergy (s something, I forget). Holy hell, how do people play with this poo poo? I've cut it down an inch or so, like always, and the thing just flops everywhere. I practically can't take slapshots. I literally lose the puck because it bounces around because the stick flexes whenever I do anything. I've been playing forever, and using these stiffer sticks the whole time, is there something I'm doing wrong?

Like, i see people here excited for 60 flex int sticks, for 80s, and I literally just don't get it. I'm a forward, so slapshots aren't THAT big a deal, but my snapshots and wristshots are no better, my release isn't quicker or anything, so I just don't see the advantage to such a whippy stick. So is there something I'm missing here?

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Look Around You posted:

Probably body size/weight. I'm ~150lbs or so; having a 100 flex stick wouldn't do me any good, it'd just be impossible for me to load right or get any kind of decent shot off with. I use 85/87 (bauer) and it seems to be right for me. Any less I'd worry about breaking it and like I said, any more just wouldn't help at all.

I'm 135. I have an 87 Bauer, that one's fine, but it's been cut down like 2 inches from it's original length.

Look Around You posted:

edit: I kind of doubt that the stick flexes trying to stickhandle though... they still should take ~85 lbs of force to bend it and it doesn't make sense that you're putting that much force on it stick handing.

It's not so much normal stickhandling, it's as soon as I'm under pressure, put weight down to prevent stick lift, the resulting flex sends the puck flying. Also, on trick plays, like the between the legs or bounce of the boards or whatever where you kinda pass the puck to yourself, the puck just flies off. I'm definetely not (intentionally, anyway) putting anywhere near 85 lbs of force in those cases though. E:That said, receiving passes is harder, but to be expected.

e. It's more for the wrist/snap shots that I feel like I'm really missing something, as the whole draw of a whippy stick is supposed to be there, and it's just not, at all. No (visible) increase in power, no increase whatsoever in speed of release, and a slight loss in accuracy (as expected). So basically, I just don't see the benefit.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 3, 2012

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Zettace posted:

It's because you're used to a stiffer stick so your technique is built upon that. Once you get used to the lower flex, you'll notice the advantages (and disadvantages) versus your higher flex. However, getting used to it takes time and patience so if it really upsets you then switch back to the flex you're more comfortable with.

I don't know that playing once a week is often enough to develop this technique, though. Like, it took me 2 games to figure out how to take slappers reliably ( lower the bottom hand) but I have to think about it, which isn't an ideal situation because you don't often have that time available in game situations. That said, if I can gain an advantage doing it, great, but I don't see any advantage right now, which sucks.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Look Around You posted:

Well I mean you're definitely not going to see an immediate advantage if you're used to a heavy flex and if you don't take time to get used to it. The best solution would be to go to a stick time or two and just mess around with it if you can.

The thing is, at 135, you're almost certainly not going to be able to load up a 100 flex stick enough for your shots to get the most power out of them.

This may be a technique issue then. Softer flexes (well, and composites in general) are able to help you out a lot more if you know how to load them up properly; if you're not getting any flex on your stick then it's not going to do much good. Part of this may be from learning on a stiff flex -- it may have been a lot harder for you to get any flex at all, so it doesn't seem like you would have gotten the chance to learn how to properly load your stick for a shot.

These are all assumptions though since none of us have ever seen you play, and I'm certainly not saying you're a lovely player! (I am not a great player yet myself so it'd be pretty hypocritical if I was going out and saying you suck)

I don't want to come off snarky here, because I am looking for advice, but I know my technique is fine since I've played fairly high level hockey. I've had lots of coaching in how to shoot, but it's all a long time ago now, like 6 years back at least. There's obviously still things I can learn, which is why I'm asking. Back when I played competitive hockey I was on the ice 5-6 days a week, not counting reffing.

I do try to get out to pick up about once every couple of week, but my work schedule interferes most of the time. My team only plays once every ten days so it pretty much works out to once a week. As well, I usually get out on the outdoor rink once a week, but that's no place to use a good stick, since in the cold here you just snap composites like they're twigs.

I can sure as poo poo load a 100 flex just fine at 135 lbs, especially on slap shots. One of the bigger problems with the 85 flex is that I fall down after the slap shot, the shot goes wild and is therefore useless unless I do like a half slapper. The half slapper is admittedly amazing now, and is probably the only benefit I'm seeing from the stick.

Basically, having talked it through here, I think the problem is that I'm so used to loading the hell out of the stick that I'm pushing it too hard. It works with the stiff stick obviously, but needs to be adjusted for the whippier stick. If I saw any benefit for the wrist and slap shots, I'd certainly say that this was a useful trade.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

sellouts posted:

What they're saying is that your technique for that flex stick is poor. Not that your technique overall is poor.

I'm not sure why you're trying to reinvent the wheel. If you've had plenty of proper instruction and have a solution that works at a certain flex, why would you listen to a bunch of people on the internet, many of which started picking up hockey as an adult and/or without proper instruction?

Put another way, what is wrong with your game currently? What are you trying to fix or work on? Are you sure changing stick flex will help?

I would say this -- even with proper instruction many years ago if you want a better shot in any and all aspects, you should be shooting more. Get a shooting mat, a net, and a bucket of pucks for home. Go wild.

EDIT: also, do as another goon did and video it. That'll help everyone a lot more than stabbing at the dark without really seeing what you're talking about.

I get what you're saying in regards to technique for that flex, thanks.

Unfortunately, i live in an apartment building, so shooting a ton of pucks is pretty much impossible. The reason I want to reinvent the wheel, so to speak is two-fold:

1. Everyone, not just dudes on the net all use and suggest whippier sticks.
2. I feel that my snap shots in particular should be better. I realise that I'm not shooting enough, but am more looking for instruction on that.

I'll look into getting a video made next weekend.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Thufir posted:

I played a period on D last game. The captain of my team has some interesting ideas about roster management and for some reason decided to put our worst player, who can barely skate forward never mind backwards, on D, so I volunteered to do it instead.

This is actually something we've done (although the dude could at least skate backwards) and the reasoning behind is to shame somebody into volunteering to drop back. As in, we're short a D, no one is volunteering, the guys that always get forced back are sick of it, so you just say "Alright boys, so-and-so is playing D" and pray that somebody that normally wouldn't play D but is better than him will feel shame and volunteer.

Of course sometimes it backfires and you lose the game because no one volunteered and it's 3-0 after he takes 2 shifts, but what can ya do?

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Awesome Animals posted:

If you are the centered defender on the line, be ready to get back because pinching most often occurs against the boards. Also if in the middle, watch for the backside wing to be flying.

To add to this, it's usually a good idea to start backing up as soon as your partner starts his pinch. If he's successful, you'll at worst be a stride out of the zone (so you can still keep the puck in if he whips it cross ice for some godawful reason), and if he's not you've at least got some momentum to catch the inevitable fast break the other team has going. Even if you back off too much, and end up at red line, you're at worst in a strong position to recover and make a play if it comes out a relatively long time afterwards.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

I've never used the RBK socks for a simple reason: the second I get a new pair of knit socks, I destroy the elastic at the bottom before even putting them on. I know it's weird, but it's what I do. I just find it more comfortable since I wear the shinpad outside the tongue.

It doesn't look like I can do that with the RBK socks, so I stay clear. Yes, I'm also the guy that puts all my right side stuff on first, why do you ask?

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Since playing in a league that allows visors, I've gotten hit in the face from a teammate far more (twice in 3 years) than I have by opponents (once). Guys definitely keep their sticks down more in a visor league than a cage only league. you hit a guy in the face with a highstick in a cage league, you get 2 minutes to feel shame. You hit a guy in the face in a visor league, a crowd gathers, you get 2, a crowd gathers, and your teammates have to bail you out. there's a bunch of penalties, likely causing an even strength situation, but it doesn't matter.

Sure, that doesn't seem like much of a deterrence, and yet it totally is. Also, only twice have I ended with a cut where I actually bled, and again, both times caused by teammates. Straight up, I think that the reason I've been cut by teammates only is because I'm not expecting it, but who knows. What I mean is if I'm going into a situation a stick might come up with an opponent, I protect myself better than I do if it's a teammate, which is my own drat fault for trusting them too much.

Also, I was complaining about not liking an 85 flex stick vs. my old 100 flex, so I took the advice of the thread and shot a couple hundred pucks and mostly figured it out. I lowered my bottom hand about an inch when taking slappers, and that took care of the terrible (pushing through the stick so hard that I was winding up falling down) slappers, and have mostly found out how to adjust for wrist/snap shots.

I mostly still don't see the benefit, but I for sure get why guys like that. I can get a quick shot off in no time, sure it's more inaccurate, but the shot gets off. Whereas with the 100 flex, it takes a split second more, and it might not be a shot at all.

i tried to get video while I was shooting to see if there might be some mechanic I was loving up, but my lovely phone decided not to save the footage (it was poo poo anyway). I admittedly still don't get why guys that weigh more than me would ever want a whippier stick than this, but certainly see the benefit now, so thanks guys :3:

e. The only concussions I've ever gotten have been while wearing a cage so yay anecdotal evidence! Nah, I definitely buy that bigmike is right in saying that there are more concussions with cages, but that those without are more severe. My reasoning to the why, which is likely completely off base, is that the hits that make impact with the (bigger than your face) cage are more likely to cause the torsional effects that cause concussions, but the safety provided from the worst effects (ie direct hits to chin/face/head) are lessened. DO NOT TAKE THIS AS ADVOCACY TO NOT WHERE A CAGE, loving WEAR ONE. I wish I had never reffed, cause then I wouldn't know how awesome the visor felt and therefore would still wear a cage today.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 19, 2012

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

cenzo posted:

A guy on our team is about to be called for a hook, delayed call. Their goalie rushes to the bench but their extra skater joins the play before the goalie makes it and the ref stops the play for too much mans. My question is, shouldn't they have been two independent penalties since they happened on "unique" parts of the play? We both had to send someone to the box but skated full strength, which to me was odd.

In both USA Hockey and Hockey Canada, it doesn't matter if the penalties occurred on the same "play" just that they occur at the same stoppage. So yes, you would both have to put a guy in the box for the 2 minute coincidental penalty, with no shorthanded situation.

Now, we could argue that the ref made the wrong call assessing too much mans, as it was likely actually illegal substitution (where the penalty is just a stoppage), but that requires a bit more context.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

cenzo posted:

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know. The series of events as they happened were the delayed call was initiated (ref hand went up) goalie was charging for the bench but the skater hopped the bench and played the puck before the goalie was on the bench. He actually received a drop pass during as they were coming through the neutral zone. Not sure if that's enough context.

Yeah, that was the right call then. It'd be illegal substitution if he hadn't played the puck.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Aniki posted:

Not always. You can have games where the goalie carries the team for a period or two before he runs out of energy and then the other team piles on goals in the last period or period in a half. Though those games are easy to spot, because the goalie is playing out of his mind and his teammaes are usually tripping over eachother while they allow 50 shots.

And yet another situation is where one team is definitely weaker than the other, but their best players are as good as or better than their opponents, and half the game is close. Then, the good players on the weaker team just start getting exhausted, coverage breaks down, and the better team can just start pumping goals in.

e: that is to say, one team is balanced, their skill level is all about equal, while the other isn't, at all.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

I stick to simple shouts, like "wheel!", "Time, time" and the number of guys on a break up ice, ie "2!" or "3!" Anything more than that is too complicated if they can even here you. On the ice, I'll yell if I'm open, by shouting their name, or yell "NO!" if they've seen me, think I'm open, when I'm really not, but that's about it.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

trilljester posted:

I chat a lot on the ice, but have yet to find an effective way to tell a forward who is trying to deke 2 defensemen to drop it back to me for a shot. I've tried, "I'm behind you <player's name>." and "Trailing!"

Anyone got anything else I should try?

I do a lot of drop passes near the blue line, but I never ever do it if someone is shouting at me, because it can be hard to impossible to tell if it's a teammate or an opponent loving with me. Hell, I constantly shout "behind" or "drop" specifically to gently caress with the other team in these situations so that might be why :v:

Maybe try just their name, although I still won't drop it in that situation because I play against too many guys that know my name.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

^^^so what you're saying is you do blind drop passes at the blue line? :gonk:

No, what I'm saying is that I'll only drop it to a guy I know is there. Too many risks otherwise.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

lizardking posted:

I'm not very good at stopping to the left. It just doesn't click. Right is just fine. It is a mystery (don't get low enough? lead with the wrong foot?).

Full sprint then attempting to stop to the left with 2 feet or less to the boards, intending to basically use the boards to stop myself. Didn't anticipate her to step in between me and the boards at the very last second. Although, maybe she didn't stop and we just ran into each other, it happened quickly. But if she goes in between me and the puck without making an attempt at the puck is that not interference? I made a picture because I have nothing else to do on lunch. Enjoy my artistic prowess. I am genuinely curious. My poor stopping starts at the end of the red line.

Someone else already said this, but don't skate at the boards like that. I know it's a non-contact league, but it's just opening you up to getting creamed from behind. There's a chance you'll end up very seriously injured on this play. Be it broken legs, or worse, injuring your neck which is a potentially a life threatening injury.

What you should be doing instead is called "angling" where you swing out changing the angle so that your shoulders wind up perpendicular to the boards. In this situation, you would head more to the left, so that you maintain body position in front of your opponent, then cut right towards the corner in order to protect yourself. This way, if you do get hit, it should be on the shoulder, which is a strong position to get hit potentially allowing you to just shrug it off, and if you don't it should be the opposite should that goes into the boards. You want to end up very close to the boards (practically touching them) so that you aren't being thrown into them at all.

Even if you curled the opposite direction (ie swung right then left going up ice) you would still be in a much stronger and safer position. You should pretty much never skate perpendicularly at the boards at any time.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

lizardking posted:

Ah I follow. I never think to just send it back around the net. I swung out to the right and then up into the puck at an angle so my back right rear end cheek cushioned my contact with the board(if that makes any sense at all). I just happened to glance her as well.

Yeah, that makes sense. This is the right wrong move, at least.

In non-contact, a way to show that you're trying to avoid contact and potentially avoid a call is to turn your body towards the boards before contact is made. Obviously not always an option, but it minimises the extent of the impact (for both of you) and shows that you were trying to avoid the hit, and any contact is then the second man ins fault.

So, same situation, you're turning up ice, they're heading down low, immediately after (or even while if possible, but this is a beginner thread so not likely) you play the puck, you slam on the brakes and flatten yourself against the boards. In a contact league, this minimises the contact against you, and in a non-contact league this is an attempt to get out of the way. Now, since "running into a player going the other way" is (in Hockey Canada at least) not an excuse for checking a player, the onus is now on your opponent 100% to avoid you.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

coldwind posted:

You mean turn and face the boards? Instructing one to turn their body towards the board is kinda confusing.

Yes. Note that this is after playing the puck. You need to be completely against the boards. Getting hit like this doesn't hurt, at all, and in a non-contact league shows that you aren't going for a hit. Of course, you need to stop to make this work, because otherwise you're just running into the boards (which is dumb and bad). It's not so much turning into the boards, as it is stopping with your body like an inch away, and then pushing yourself the rest of the way there if need be.

You will actually see pros do this constantly if you're watching for it. In a contact league, it both minimises the contact you're receiving (most of the energy is deflected if you're being hit during the stop/pivot) and reduces the impact with the boards (since you're so close, you don't accelerate into the boards, you just kinda stay there) if the energy isn't deflected.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Habibi posted:

Was he a big guy with darker skin?

Cool so we've passed possible misogyny to possible racism.

Kidding, but that's what it reads like.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

sellouts posted:

We actually played an entire team of girls, and they played the body more physically and more effectively than any of the mens teams I've played. They played hard but elbows were down, sticks were down. It was a textbook example of how to be a scrappy, physical team when you're woefully undersized in a non-check league. It was awesome.

I played against girls all the way through growing up, though they were usually a year or 2 older than us. There is no checking in those games. So the girls learn how to play an effective physical game without being called from a very young age.I have seen this transition to beer league as my sister is straight up one of the best defensive forwards I've ever seen (in beer league). She can just snake the puck away before you even know she's there, run you out of room as you're coming into the zone, or simply play the body just enough to disrupt as you're shooting/passing/receiving a pass without drawing a call since there was very little real contact.

The big difference is that she received actual training in how to do all these things from her coaches all they way growing up, whereas I never have. She was never a defensive forward growing up, was a "sniper" in the sense that she shot and scored relatively a lot. But since she knows what to do in these situations, and her opponents aren't expecting, she just looks great out there.

That said, she can't shoot for poo poo compared to this level, so she really has no choice but to be a defensive forward but she likes it.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

E.^^^^this is not at all like the stupid wheelie bag thing (which was stupid) this is a legit issue where doing something is actively bad for the player.

Anders posted:

Maybe, but I've always done it, and I skate alot better and faster when it's super tight, especially at the ankles. Maybe if I could skate more often than two months each year, I'd start to build enough muscles to be able to wear them looser, but until then, I'll continue wrapping them around.

... If you are afraid of your locker room, do it discreetly and pull the socks over.

Yeah, don't do this. You want it tight at the ankles thats fine, but wrapping prevents you from properly leaning forward which limits how much and how deep you can bend your knees. Seriously, it's bad, it's a crutch, and relying on it will hurt your develloppement.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 7, 2012

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

coldwind posted:

Question for the refs: if a defender goes for a stick lift or some other sort of stick check, "misses" and hits the puck carrier in the hands, is that a penalty?

Yes. Maybe. No. Ok, so basically, missing a stick lift and getting the hands has a lot of possibilities. If the stick is there for a bit, a hook is guaranteed to come. Even if it doesn't, it could still be a hook. Just touching the hands slightly and not getting tangled is probably ok, as long as it isn't so violent as to be considered a slash.

So if you got called, it's probably the "right" call. It's generally seen as chintzy, but it's one of those calls that dudes generally don't complain too much about since they have hosed up, and generally know it.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Aniki posted:

I was talking about missing time not loss of consciousness. A lot of times when you get a concussion, you don't pass out, but you don't remember anything immediately before or immediately after the impact.

Yeah, the two concussions I've had have been this.

First time, playing rep hockey in Bantam, I got hit with a glancing shoulder directly to head, remember getting hit, remember hitting the ice and getting up, and then collapsed on the way to the bench. Don't remember anything until I was in the room like 15 minutes later.

Second time, playing beer league, I remember going "poo poo he's gonna elbow me since I avoided the stupid rear end check he was trying to lay out" and then nothing until I was on the bench. Finished the game like an idiot, and only realised something was wrong when I tried to figure out the tip after 2 beers at the bar above the rink and couldn't (being an engineering student, this actually freaked me out pretty bad). Then, again stupidly, I figured just sleeping it off would be enough, tried to do a lab the next day, and couldn't read the manual for poo poo, was woozy, and couldn't focus. Went to the clinic, said I thought I was concussed, the doc ran some basic tests and basically said yep, I was, told me to use Tylenol, gave me a note to get out of labs and quizzes and assignments and sent me on my way.

Basically, having a trainer on the bench the first time protected me from my own stupidity, while the second time... not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I've only been to one tournament and even though we had a -25 goal differential over 3 games, that weekend completely owned. Tournaments own.

Just gonna agree with this. We have a family tournament.where I'm from (ie, only people related can be on each team) and while we won our division one year it's literally the highlight of my year, every year. It's just so much fun win or lose. loving hockey, man.