Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

Thufir posted:

Looks like the new line is this:

With the lower levels being X4.0-7.0 and the top line ones being "Vapor APX"

Oh god those are hideous. Might be the time for me to get some new Vapors before they roll these new ones in.

Great OP by the way, the old thread was getting a bit long, so I'm all for a new one.
I started playing hockey last year and it is as you described. Incredibly fun. I started out by going to public skate as much as 3 times a week, just working on my skating. I've played two seasons on beer league, and feel myself improving everyday. My skating is okay, better than most people playing as long as I have, except that I can't shoot/pass for poo poo.

If anyone is from Orange County and wants to play at the Rinks or needs help getting into hockey and whatnot, PM me.

Bonus picture of my trying to look cool:

El Nam fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

MiamiKid posted:

I'll be interested to see how your footage turns out. I got a GoProHD a few weeks ago for some other work, but have stuck it on my hockey helmet a couple times. The camera under exposes because of the ice, but I think the Contour has Exposure Compensation, which is nice. Anyway, here's my clips, occasional cussing so not totally work safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4E-IpbSDAw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wR6fnBsEjY

I've used the 720p 60fps setting.

As far as positioning goes, I could see this being very, very helpful. Great videos!

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

Acethomas posted:

I'm willing to drive out to either Rinks location for a chance to stick and puck or scrim with a goon, I'll pm you when I get home.

Yea feel free, it would be cool to play with a goon. There are a lot of pick up and stick time options and I usually try play at both Rinks in a given week. I also have secrets to share with you if you decide to PM me. wink wink.

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm half-expecting this dreaded email.... in 4 more days when they're sold out everywhere. I may end up getting the x60s if this is the case.

I hope you get them, I also just ordered the same skates, but slightly used for 280.

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie
I have come to ask a crucial question!!!

Vapor X40's for $220, which are brand new, or a pair of lightly used, X50's for $280?
According to the seller, the X50's are "Rarely Used; used less than five times on-ice; only sharpened once", and is in "Excellent Condition. Minor surface scratches and scuffs".

I play casually, maybe once or twice a week, but I definitely do need new skates.

What's the best choice here?

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

Aniki posted:

Did he have the skates heatmolded?

It doesn't explicitly say, so I'm gonna guess yes. He also said, "Not fully broken in", so I'm gonna say that it's been baked once, but not twice.

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie
The Ducks had their used gear sale about a week ago. I picked up some pro stock Reebok gloves for $60. There were also a lot of sticks for 50 dollars, brand new. Most of them were left handed though, so I couldn't get one. My buddy who does shoot left did get 2 S19's for 100 dollars. Also, new socks were 1 dollar.

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

Holy poo poo, I think I may have found yellow-enough gloves!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eagle-X65i-Hockey-Gloves-NEW_W0QQitemZ220790423946QQcategoryZ20853QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem#vi-content

Need to find out how "gold" they are instead of bright yellow though. The Eagle website is pretty terrible.

This is a seemingly never ending quest.

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie
Forgot to post this. Happened this year to my team mate. He was diving to block a puck, but one of the guys on the other team tried to jump over him, with his skate landing at the spot where the elbow pad ends, before the glove starts.

Not pretty.

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

trilljester posted:

That's who we played last night. They have a couple of cockgobblers on their team who think it's OK to whack our goalie on his neck after the whistle blows. They also forgot they were playing hockey and decided that they were in a diving competition. I've never seen so many flagrant diving acts and we were getting the penalties!

Example: One of them was in our goalie's crease, elbowing him subtly, our goalie goes and pushes him out of the crease and the dude does a full on flop. Our goalie gets a roughing penalty.

Haha goalie roughing. Sounds like a lovely call. If Timmy Thomas can shove a Sedin and not get a call, your guy shouldn't either.

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

To be fair, I'd be furious if I ran out of yellow and black for my bumblebee tape job. White tape is for chumps.

You and your bumblebee colors, haha.

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

Awesome Animals posted:

I don't know what's right anymore. lol. I'm sorry for being an idiot. It is OC. I got confused because the reason of the move is because of my gf's grad school, and she applied to a school in Sacramento and one in Orange County. I'm mixing everything up.

I skate mostly at Anaheim Ice and Westminster Ice. PM me and we can play a super fun Thursday morning skate at AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

D C posted:

$5.50 for 2 hours of drop in

$5.50 for 6 hours of stick and puck.

Where are you from?