Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
Bewbies, I'm halfway through the thread. Great so far, but I've never heard anybody say sub-brand before. I've heard them called lines or product lines, but never sub-brands...

Also, ModSquad, I think, has a more up to date and comprehensive blade pattern chart. I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

bigmike posted:

Great thread. I just have one question, am I Zdeno Chara? You did not answer this.
Ha ha, I was actually thinking this as I read through this. I guess the question to ask is yourself is "did I recently gently caress up Max Pacioretty? Like baaaaad..."

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

trilljester posted:

As far as equipment goes, I'd like to add that people should at least consider some sort of neck guard. I wear one of these:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BPLSI

It's a nice undershirt and I don't even feel the neck guard. Call me a pussy, whatever. I've got a 2 year old and another on the way, I don't want to risk it.
Intact jugular veins are for pussies. Real men let that poo poo bleed out.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Tadhg posted:

:effort: to get back in shape...
Boy, I missed the memo on that one...

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

For those rocking a vinyl nitrile foam helmet...well...they're going to get concussed anyway so I guess it doesn't matter ;)
I haven't really seen any good (GOOD) evidence that EPP is any better than VN. Hell, I haven't even seen the anecdotal evidence. Overall, the level of solid information on hockey helmet safety is very low and most of what is actually out there is sponsored by one manufacturer or another.

Dangerllama posted:

I just don't think it's worth buying a helmet whose history is unknown, irrespective of its apparent condition, just to save $30 or so.
This, though. You don't really know the true condition of the helmet and it's not worth the money.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Got my skates. Woohoo! Gonna bake and sharpen these bitches tomorrow, just in time for the season to start. Yay Hockey Monkey!
Hey man, keep that 24 hour no-skate period in mind.

EDIT:

Yeah, this guy only had 7 games played for the Bronze team or so. Not to mention, the biggest issue was him sitting in the stands for the first period. Then he geared up and swapped out with someone for the 2nd and 3rd.

What sucks most is I know a dude on that team, who played the whole season in Bronze, didn't get to play in that game because of a bunch of ringers they brought down to play for that one game.
This sucks so bad. I would totally demand a refund.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 2, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

poser posted:

What bags do you guys use? Right now I'm using a backpack bag that I used for roller but I will be playing on two teams this season and I dont know if I can fit the extra jerseys and gloves in the bag as its already a tight fit.
I'm using an EQ1. Basic bag, no pockets, just one big chamber. I want to sew some pockets and stuff into it, but I'm not sure how/where would be the easiest.

I had a backpack bag, but it didn't fit all my stuff in it (had to clip my pants to the outside) so my girlfriend is using it now. I miss it though, it was so much easier on my back.

If I were you I'd just carry an extra bag for the jerseys/gloves. The backpack is nicer than you think.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Petit.Conan posted:

I think mostly everyone gets the whole "shut up, get in the box, do your time" thing. BUT the guys who don't get that, will never ever, ever get it.

We where playing in our championship game Saturday, we are down 4-2 but we just scored those last two goals in 2 minutes and we have 6 minutes left in the third.

We're in there end looking for number 3, and one of our best players is getting shoved a bit in front of the net when no ones around. So he pushes back a bit and the D man takes a dive. Our player gets nailed for it. Now he wants to argue it, and worse off he argues that it was retaliation (You never get off for saying "he did it first!") and ignores the ref when he says "get in the box or your getting another 2 for unsportsmanlike!"

So yeah that totally killed our momentum. Use your loving head, that shits stupid enough in regular season.
I play in a league that is called "Never Ever." Inevitably, we end up playing against at least a few teams filled with guys who have been playing for a long time. Some of them together. Why you'd want to put together a team to dominate a league meant for people who can't skate, I'll never understand...

Anyways, this one guy we're playing against is pretty good. Skates well enough that he probably shouldn't be in the league. I'm playing D on the PK, and I get caught and he's off to the races behind me. I manage to catch him and tie up his stick a little. At about the hash marks, he decides he's going to try and cut across the crease. gently caress if I'm going to let that happen.

It's a no-check league, but no league is non-contact, and this guy doesn't belong in the league anyways. So, I get up on his shoulder and do my best to just push him to the outside. He's pushing to the inside, so we go flying into the net. Guy's a hothead, so he's been a bit pissed all game, but this really puts him over the edge. He gives me a stick check in the chest and starts swearing at me. I tell him "tough, that's hockey." and I skate to set up for the faceoff.

Dude is still pissed. As soon as the puck drops, he does something stupid (not sure what) and gets sent to the box. PK turns into a 4-on-4. He argues for a good 45 seconds. It's running clock and his penalty hasn't been put on the clock yet, so he's killing penalty for us. He ends up getting so pissed that he insults the ref in a rather nasty way, gets a game misconduct for that and then keeps arguing so long they give him another one.

tl;dr: player on the other team gets a minor, two game misconducts and argues enough that he ends up killing 45 seconds of PK time for us.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Cheezymadman posted:

He called him a cocksucker, didn't he? Umps Refs hate being called cocksuckers.
They also hate being called faggots.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

poser posted:

I got called for a stupid penalty after I was driving into the boards from behind with no call..

On my way to the box I yelled at the ref "If you're going to call loving bullshit calls, you might as all well the penalties that actually loving happen" and earned myself another penalty :smug:

Someone put it this way to me: In the lower leagues and especially the late games you get the worst refs so I learned to keep my mouth shut.
I've always felt that being a bit more cordial about it would be a better way of getting calls. I figured a ref would be more likely to give me a call later on if I hadn't just chewed him out, but I guess I don't really know. I don't take a lot of penalties and I don't draw a lot either.

I think personally, if I was a ref and a player just got done yelling at me, I'd be watching him close to call the next mistake he made. But maybe I'm just vindictive like that. I obviously wouldn't be a very good ref.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

poser posted:

Refs pretend they dont but they remember people and hold grudges. Now I give/flip the puck to the ref when I can and remember to thank them after the game.
I bet most refs remember people, but the good ones don't hold grudges. Maybe. I mean, I think that's one of the things that separates the good refs from the Stephane Augers.

I always try to be nice to the refs. I usually try to tell them to have a good game and chit-chat a little bit during warm-ups sometimes.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Love it when the other team is up by 5 and still playing like dirty shitbags.

In a preseason game that counts for nothing.

Hey big goony gently caress, hope you enjoyed blocking my shot with your dick! :tipshat:
Where/what league are you playing? SE Michigan, right?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Beer league in Northern Cal.
Oh. For some reason I thought you were in the Detroit area. Hard to keep everybody straight!!

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

xzzy posted:

...push the rear foot backwards to make room.
Kind of this. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by it, but while your outside leg is off the ice and crossing over, your inside leg is extending (straightening out) to push. While your inside foot is pushing (I think Stamm calls this an X-push) the inside foot will actually cross your midline sagital plane and end on the outside part of your body before leaving the ice, while your outside foot starts it's stride under the inside part of the body, which is why it ends up crossing over the inside leg.

It's a little bit (not exactly) like what you do when you aren't wearing skates and you shuffle to your side while maintaining the rest of your body pointing forward. The way your legs work, at least. The crossing over happens largely below the knee.

This is a pretty difficult maneuver. It requires good balance on the outside edges of your skate, which is hard to get because you pretty much never use them unless you're crossing over. I bet a lot of people on the boards are still working on theirs (me included) and I see a lot of people showing off their crossovers at open skate who don't get a good push (or any push) off their inside skate (which almost defeats the purpose). One really helpful drill is gliding on just the outside edge of one skate and holding it as long as you can. You should be skating a curve and when you feel like you're gonna fall and plant the other skate to stabilize yourself, if you do it in front of that skate, you kinda got a crossover.

My ladyfriend has my copy of Stamm, so if anybody wants to add stuff or correct me, feel free.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

xzzy posted:

I can coast on a single edge for half the rink or more...
Are you measuring the circle or what? If you're skating on a single edge, you should be going in a circle.

One point I remember from Stamm's power-skating book is to try to keep your shoulders level while doing crossovers. It's supposed to help your balance. I guess.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Thufir posted:

Yeah, you're supposed to do the ( curve on your right foot to work the outside edge. Here's a sort-of extreme example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV5v8-Na8vI&feature=related Obviously you don't need to make that big of a curve when you're just starting. It's definitely tough to figure out how to get on and stay on the outside edge.

The Laura Stamm stuff is pretty good, there's a book and DVD.
http://www.amazon.com/Laura-Stamms-Power-Skating-DVD/dp/B000HT201G/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

http://www.amazon.com/Laura-Stamms-Power-Skating-4th/dp/0736076204/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302806699&sr=8-1
Yes, outside edges are supposed to be hard. It's what separates the men (i.e. that young girl in the video) from the boys (i.e. half the grown men on your beer league team).

Stamm has a lot of good stuff. Good drills that focus on the little parts of your skating.

bewbies posted:

This is another good one, it gives me nightmares. We used to have to do this until we couldn't feel our legs anymore :(
This drill is such a loving bitch. So hard. You have to have very good balance to be able to do that.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

bewbies posted:

Yeah. Here I made an MSPaint diagram

You're facing the direction of the red arrow, the black things are your skates. I think this makes sense, let me know if it is confusing.
Oh, I get it now. You aren't shooting the puck forward. You should mention that next time you explain it.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

trilljester posted:

I can't stop laughing at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZcUcw7rDuw&feature=related
His skates are so wide when he does normal forward or backward strides. His strides are so short, I'm surprised he can generate any power.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Green Submarine posted:

White tape on the blade disguises release point (or so I've heard tell; could be it's a myth goalies spread). Also, black tape on the top chews up your gloves faster.
White tape may hide the release, but black hides the puck. When it comes down to it, I don't know that it makes that big of a diff. I play goalie, too, and I've never really payed attention to the color tape. I can always see the puck, so maybe it's time to try some white?

I will agree, though, I never put black up top. Even playing goal where you don't have your hand up there too often, it just darkens your gloves so fast.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Green Submarine posted:

Blade tape color is entirely superstition so far as I'm concerned. I use white because of the practical reasons to use it for the knob and because I don't want to have to buy both colors.
I think it could (might) maybe possibly work. Except that most people don't tape their entire blade, so you can see the end of the blade and your brain can easily (probably subconsciously) just fill it all in. If the whole blade was taped, though, it might actually blend in pretty well.

If it looks like that puck is just floating around out there, I could see it maybe working. Although, the brain might fill in the blade anyways. Of course, it might affect other things like YOUR ability to look down and pick up the puck, or your teammates, not seeing your blade, might stop passing to you.

I think I'm gonna tape up all white for my next game and see what the goalie thinks.

Dangerllama posted:

Is this really a thing for people? I usually wear out my palms in about a year, so it doesn't matter what color I've got up there.

I honestly don't think the color of tape really matters at almost any level in terms of tactics. Hrm...although now that I'm watching the Broons/Habs game, almost every one of those guys has black tape.
Maybe not. I dunno, the palms on all my gloves look pretty gross. Like I said before, even as a goalie with a black tape handle, my blocker palm got dark enough fast enough that I didn't want the black up there at all.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 22, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

^^ I retape when the tape+wax gets torn up enough to either

a) effect the contact of the puck on the blade (not a relatively smooth surface).
b) wears off the bottom of the blade, putting the bottom of the blade in direct contact with the ice.

That usually winds up being every four or five games/stick-and-pucks/drop-ins.

You do realize you keep your sweaty hand in there for an hour or so every game, right? It ain't the ink that makes hockey gear gross ;)
Oh, the sweat makes it smell, for sure. Doesn't discolor it though. Got a brand new pair of gloves a little bit ago and they're still clean white. Also, I assume you're being a bit facetious.

I don't know if I read it here (I think I did), but man, taking a blowdryer to the wax on your stick is awesome.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

ManicJason posted:

There has been exactly one time in my goalie career where I actually misjudged a puck because I lost it on black tape. It freaked me out, but never happened again that I've noticed.
"That you've noticed" is the key word there. I've heard that the longer your eye rests on the puck before it's fired, the quicker you'll be able to react and make the save. If it's taking you a half-second to pick up the puck against the black backdrop of the tape, it could negatively effect your reaction time.

Of course, there really isn't an easy way to measure this, so it's all speculation.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

ManicJason posted:

The thing is that I noticed the puck disappeared before the dude even shot it. I'd think that if I had slightly misjudged a puck because of black tape 100 times, I'd have noticed at least 20 times before a shot. I think it was really just one freak thing from a specific angle.
I wasn't referring to the specific case when you misjudge the puck. I'm talking about a level that you don't notice.

Let's say it takes you an extra half-second to find the puck. That's an extra half-second of "quiet eye" period that you've lost and accordingly, your reaction to the puck will be slower. You aren't going to say to yourself "drat, it took me an extra half-second to find that puck on that player's black tape." You're going to say "drat, that's in the net."

Basically, I'm saying that it could be messing with your head in such a subtle way (but substantial) that you have no idea it's messing with your head.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

oddIXIbbo posted:

Black tape on the blade and white on the knob. My gloves are clean and clear of stick-i-tude.

My stick blades are wood grain/natural colored and I wrap black tape the mid-heel and the toe. I leave a small gap (2-3 wraps worth of tape) between. I play goalie in my inline league and I know I have an easier time tracking a puck against white tape. I figure the worst thing for the opposing goalie to pick up would be a black puck against two puck sized dark objects, maybe not knowing exactly where it is in the split second before the shot.

Perhaps I think way too much about it. It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Ha ha...this might just be a good idea.

Also, you must really like that movie, because this is the second time I've seen you reference it in a hockey context in, like, the last month.

A few thoughts on learning to shoot:
I have a lot of truly beginning hockey friends who, at the moment, have some very impotent shots. Really, very awkward looking. Most of them call me a bad teacher because I learned/figured out how to do things when I was young and they come naturally now and thus I don't think about them and don't have many good tips for them.

Anyways, most of the normal tips don't work for these people as they aren't tips designed to truly correct fundamental errors in shot technique. So, I got to watching them shoot and came up with some problems I think I see in their shooting and ways to fix them.

1. Leaving the top hand near the thigh through the shot. When this happens, the stick tends to rotate around the hip.
Solution/tip/mantra: Keep the hands in front/lead with the hands/?

2. Not rotating the hips to square up with the intended direction of the shot.
Solution/tip/mantra: Do that.

Actually, now I'm looking at examples of NHL professionals/other people and a lot of them don't seem to do jive with my hints/tips. In particular, slapshots tend to end with the hips still pointed away, but the rest of the body rotated at a higher point and just the shoulders square with the direction of the shot. But only temporarily before rotating right past. WTF, am I just shooting all messed up? I seem to shoot decently enough, man, I don't know WTF. Guess I just need to take a camera to the ice one day...

Also, I once had a guy tell me that to take a slapshot, I should rotate my bottom hand around the stick so that the thumb is on the backhand wide part of the shaft. I tried it, and I admit it got me to lift my slapshot when previously I couldn't, but it was not nice to my thumb. This tip did end up helping my shot out immensely when I thought about what it forced me to do (point the blade face down-ish through the shot) and just focused on that instead. Does anybody out there do this? Has anybody heard it before?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

This is kind of like the argument that white pads make it harder for shooters to find gaps or that black pads get you quicker whistles. Tape color probably has some sort of effect on the goalie's ability to track pucks off of the stick, but I'd be surprised if the effect was statistically significant. I could see how a reflective surface on the stick blade could distract your eye, but when I'm focusing on watching the puck, I don't think that I've ever really consciously noticed the color of the tape on the shooters blade. The puck is typically in front of the blade and the only important information about the blade is its angle and what part of the blade the puck the shot comes off of.

One thing that I will say works are white pucks. They are very difficult to track and they have a tendency to appear suddenly and give you very little time to react. I really like using them for training, though it's been quite a while since I last did that.
See, it's brought up that "consciously," it's never a problem. But you can't rule out that it is causing some real and effective subconscious problems for you.

I would also be surprised if the effect was statistically significant, but that doesn't mean it isn't significant to performance. Statistical significance is separate from real life significance. Plus, statistical significance applies only to a set of data in an experiment, not to a real life effect. Do something enough, and you can get statistical significance. What's important is that nobody's done the work, so who are we to say it's not significant in any way?

The position of the puck and the what part of the blade the puck is shot from are important, but are hardly the only important information. Research suggests that giving your eye more time to settle and focus on the puck is very important, too. "Quiet Eye," they call it. If the black-on-black motif delays your ability to focus on the puck (quite feasible) after puck movement or if the player holds the puck behind his blade, it can impact your performance.

Just because you aren't conscious of black tape's potential effect on goaltender performance doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And just because the effect may be small doesn't mean it isn't putting pucks behind you.

Not an exhaustive lit review by any means, but here's this on the quiet eye:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=goalie+quiet+eye&nfpr=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=ws

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

STUFF
The more I think about it, the more I think that this would actually be quite easy to test. Well, in terms of developing methodology. The technology and testing techniques are all there and have been used before. I can't imagine the funding would be there, though.

Goalies conducting thought experiments and self-reporting anecdotal evidence, while interesting and (marginally) useful, isn't nearly enough for people to conclusively say the tape color doesn't matter. Maybe it's true, but the support is highly lacking. I guess I just find it interesting that people think that they don't notice an effect of tape color, so it must not have an effect.

I'll admit that anecdotal evidence is much of what we have to go on and I've definitely made decisions based on it. I painted my goal stick white after losing a puck under the black paddle and it squirted out backside and the enemy put it in the net. (Also, I just sorta wanted to paint my stick.) That's fine. I think the important part is keeping it in perspective and remembering that this is a simply a story told by a human being with flawed perception, imperfect memory, recall bias, etc.. It should not be taken as gospel.

I'm gonna keep using black on my player stick because that's what's on it now and it's nice and waxed. And I think that it does give me an advantage, even if it's small and infrequent. Once that's done for, I might go crazy and use the American flag tape I got for Easter. AMERICA!!

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

xzzy posted:

It can't be that expensive to test.. set up a computer with a program that moves objects against backgrounds of different colors (both solid backgrounds and alternating), convince a neuroscientist to get interested in it, get a bunch of data points, release paper.

I'd be surprised if research applicable to the question hasn't already been done, but have no idea how to go about finding it.
I think you're grossly underestimating the cost of research. Especially publication-quality research.

Green Submarine posted:

The AHL is the laboratory of hockey. It's where they try out all Brendan Shanahan's dumbass ideas. I bet someone with the right connections could get a controlled study done in which black vs. white stick tape was randomly assigned to players for X weeks of the season. No way to blind it, but it should show any statistically significant difference over a long enough period of time.
But there are so many other variables, many that you would probably measure with uncertainties greater in magnitude than the effect you're measuring. Player's true skill level alone, for instance, probably has an uncertainty that would dwarf the effect. Plus, you have goalie's true skill level. You'd have to run this experiment for such a long time that I don't think anybody would be willing to invest.

Green Submarine posted:

Clearly this is the only correct answer.

:canada:
That's cute, it really is.

I actually just taped up my knobs with American tape, and I got the sticks at a USNTDP sale and they already have American flags on the stick as part of the graphic. I probably have the most patriotic hockey sticks in North America.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

The league average shooting percentage in the years since the lockout has been 9.55% with a standard deviation of 0.33% (small sample size, I know). This last season, total shots in the NHL was around 75,000.

If the true effect of tape was less than 2 standard deviations (0.66%) from the mean, you would fail to show that the tape had any effect and assume the result was due to variance. Meaning any effect up to 0.66% (2SD's -> 95%) could be completely masked by league variance year-to-year. This turns out to be ~18 goals per team per season. If you also consider the fact that shot variance for forwards is higher and that they take, on average, 2.5-3 times more shots than defensemen, the goal variance bumps up to 19. (OMG 1 extra goal LOL)

Now, this would be for a team transitioning from 100% black to 100% white or vice versa. That's probably zero teams. But still, there could be a 19 goal effect that you straight up wouldn't be able to detect reliably. Nineteen goals for switching tape colors.

(Basically, due to the variance in scoring year-to-year, this experiment would be unable to detect small results, i.e. wouldn't be very sensitive.)

Of course, what 0.66% means to the beer league heroes like us (most of us) is far less substantial. You'd need to take ~150 shots before getting an additional goal out of it. Which kind of speaks to your point.

...Though, you probably can't really apply the results to beer league players. The effect of tape color might be more marginal for players at higher skill levels. OK, I'm back to the stance that the AHL experiment is not a good solution.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 26, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Lawnie posted:

it looks like you assumed normality :colbert:

(i just got home from my engineering stats class and quite frankly i have learned very little. though i'm pretty sure that, since your sample size for players' shooting percentage is over 30, you can assume that just fine. maybe this thread will help me with my final in two weeks :cry: )
Guess I did. I have to admit I didn't think that'd be a problem (didn't think about it at all) and don't really know the requirements to assume normality anyways. I'm not extremely well versed, but I like math so when it comes my way it takes pretty well. My background isn't extensive, I've mostly been given "enough to know how to interpret papers." It wasn't super detailed. I also had an intro in UG and a class or two that applied it.

The biggest problem I see is the variance on the shooting percentage. Since there's only 5 seasons post-lockout, the sample size for that is pretty bad. I wanted to use that, though, because there were some rule changes during the lockout. I'd guess if you go back to about 2000 the variance would come down a bit but going back too much further than that the variance will start going up. It's kind of hard to compare season-to-season and come up with a good sample or meaningful results because there's confounding factors like rule changes/evolving technology/changes in fitness of players.

poser posted:

Lets have a SAS game, one team with white tape and the other with black tape and see who wins.
Make sure to invite the goalies. If we can also get some results on white-base pads we might be able to get two publications out of this :).

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

bewbies posted:

The problem here is the nature of your population though. The color of the blade of a defenseman's stick as he takes a shot through a screen is irrelevant because the goalie cannot see it, the color of an open winger trying to hit a nearside corner from 15 fett might be. The shooting percentage of the latter is going to be far higher than the former.
Yeah, twice is pretty high.
http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_ShotPercentage.php

Though, I think your point would be more worrisome if we expect that the forward/defense makeup of the population is changing significantly from year-to year. Alternatively, we could repeat the analysis only on forwards.

(Guys, let's just quit the song and dance and get published together. :pervert:)

I think after all this conversation, I'm gonna carry a white stick for poke checking and hiding my release, a black stick for hiding the puck, a stick with reflective tape on the blade for distracting the goalie and an untaped control stick for data collection.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

WouldDesk posted:

There is only one solution.Perform tests and then publish faulty material in our favor, distribute it to USA Hockey and any place we can in the media with the conclusion that gray tape with black and white dots* increases scoring at all levels by 11-14% across the board, regardless of skill.

*We of course have patented said tape and hold a monopoly on it until our ruse is found out, in which case we blame government bureaucracy and Muslims in order to isolate the market. This decreased demand will initiate part two of the plan.
Ha ha, I like it. I think 11-14% is a little aggressive though. That first year when scoring doesn't go up, people are gonna be pissed.

I say this: bring the number down, say it does depend skill and when the NHL numbers don't go up, point to the diminishing returns at that professional level and random variance. Repeat for a few years, all the while everybody else is scoring slightly better due to placebo and inflating it when they tell their friends to avoid buyer's remorse.

In a few years, it will have gained so much momentum that it won't matter when we have to print the retraction. I know it'll work because there are people out there who believe that vaccinations give you autism.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Lawnie posted:

get a job you hippy

there's only 1 rink on campus here...
get a job, you hippy. :)

I go to Monday 6am S/P and there's usually about 15 people there. WTF. Go back to bed, you hippies!!

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Err...my wife just informed me that it looks like I actually hit my iPhone with a puck in this video, which didn't happen. The puck hit the glass about a foot above my phone and the impact knocked my phone off the dasher onto the ice below.

I'm pretty sure if I hit my iPhone head on it would explode. But I'm not willing to test this theory.

In retrospect, I now realize why you guys thought this video was so interesting :smith:
I knew. There's no way a phone takes that kinda shot.

I'm just surprised you put it back up and then started taking harder shots.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

xzzy posted:

Doesn't the iPhone use gorilla glass?

Poke around on youtube.. it's seriously tough stuff. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it could take a puck to the face.
No? At least wiki doesn't mention it. Also, this page doesn't think so.

That gorilla glass looks badass (allegedly can withstand a one pound steel ball at 65MPH), but the iPhone doesn't seem to be made with it.

Nizox posted:

yeah, only some of them have the size stated (hockeymonkey is better than hockeygiant for this).

anyway, I think i will go feel them out before i buy online.

no more bauers though... :(
Bauer is awesome. One95 is amazing. Great feel, great durability, amplified mid kick turns your slapshot into a literal rocket. Trail of smoke and all that.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 2, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Nizox posted:

break on the shot of what i would assume, is a 12 year old girl in travel league (me)
Are you still talking about Bauer sticks? You mentioned you broke 3 in 1.5 years. Which is really not that bad. Also, you broke x40's, not One95's. The One95 has a well-deserved (IMO) reputation for quality puck feel, great slapshots and durability. For the past 4 months, I've cycled two while I practiced my slapshots, taking probably about 50 slapshots a week. They're still stiff as the day I bought them.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Aggro posted:

Question for SAS defensemen: What blade/stick are you guys using now? For almost a decade, the only thing I've used are Synergies with a Lidstrom blade, because of the square toe and the loft that kept all of my shapshots low. But, a few weeks back I was on HockeyMonkey to get a replacement, and I saw a deal on Warrior sticks. I bought the 2010 model of a Dolomite Spyne with a Vanek bade, but ended up getting a 2011 for the same price because they were sold out (HockeyMonkey's customer service owns). The blade isn't the rigid square like Lidstrom's, but the toe is flattened enough that I can jam my stick into the boards to keep pucks in, and it has the same loft.

The first shot I took with the thing was so hard it left a notch in our goalie's mask. From having used the same stick for so long, I'd never really put much thought into how it affected my game. But holy poo poo, I have so much more feel for the puck when I'm stickhandling, and my shots seem to be more accurate (confirmation bias, most likely, but whatever). This is also the lightest stick that I've ever held. I love it.
One95 PM9. I got the PM9 because it was sort of neutral and vanilla, I thought it would allow me to be very multi-dimensional. I don't really know if that's the case. I haven't really had much of chance to test that out since our forwards pretty much never involve the d-men in the offense unless they want us to hold the puck in. Most of them are beginners, so it's hard to get too annoyed, but even the more experienced guys do that.

While I'm complaining, the guy I got paired with last Friday was refusing to cover a man in front of the net. Also, he was forechecking. Awesome.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

I guess I can understand having a lapse, or maybe having a mistake in communication where both D go behind the net. This guy, does not do that. He doesn't even entertain the notion of covering the front of the net. He just follows the puck. At all times.

I talked to him on the bench. "So, you normally play defense, right? Well, we're leaving a lot of guys open in front of the net, so let's make sure we stay on that, ok?"

HA. No.

There's this other d-man on a team I sub for in net. He glides to every puck he's collecting in our zone. Inevitably, there's a forechecker, so he's rushed, so he just shoots the puck out of the zone as hard as he can. Hustle a little bit and give yourself time to make a good pass? Can't be bothered.

Another guy on that team who used to play D with my current team and moved up a league (to the team I sub for in net). Laziest mo-fo ever. Glides to every puck, like the guy above, but this guy doesn't even make sure he has enough to get it out of the zone. I saw him once glide to the puck, get there a split second before a forechecker, and just barely manage to limply "pass" it to his partner with one hand on his stick.

Dude never skated hard unless he had the puck. He'd get by a few forwards and inevitably lose the puck at the blue line trying to get by the D. Then it was back to gliding. He always took long shifts, too. We thought maybe he was just tired of playing defense, but he asked to play defense when he moved up, too, so I don't know.

OK, end of d-man horror stories.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

At least the one guy has the presence of mind to clear the puck out of the zone. Does he try to keep the puck near the glass/boards or does he clear it down the middle of the ice? My personal favorite are the guys that get the puck and immediately make the blind cross ice pass, which is inevitably is intercepted right in front of the crease and puts you in a horrible situation. That's right up there with your D-man holding his stick off the ice and having it deflect off of his stick and into the net.
I don't remember. It was probably a mix. He wasn't making any blind passes, he wasn't really making any passes at all. He may have been slapping some up the middle. Nothing nearly as bad as that blind cross ice pass.

I haven't deflected one into my own net, yet, but I have definitely stood right in front of the goalie with the "I'm gonna stop this shot" mentality. Yeah, that ended up in the back of the net. I'm learning.

Learning how not to screen the goalie is a difficult thing to learn because naturally you want to stand directly between the puck and net. Which is right down the sightline. Plus, for me, our goalie constantly gushes us with praise and I can't get him to tell me when I'm screening him. I'll ask him, and then he'll say "a little bit, but it wasn't for very long." I can't get him to yell "get the gently caress out my way!!" Or even yell "screen!!"

Lawnie posted:

to be fair I'm also really bad since i just started playing a few months ago but this kid is just terrible. skates slowly to pucks, can't turn forward to backward (or even the other way around, really), and weakly flicks the puck around the D zone. it's really frustrating to play with him.
Sounds like the guy is just a beginner. Yeah, it can be frustrating to play with these guys, but I'll take this guy over lazy-and-or-stupid any day. People gotta learn somehow, and not everybody's going to have learned all the skills, yet.

BTW, I forgot to tell you guys about our two "pond boys." They just started playing ice hockey in a rink this year having played pond hockey before. They are good skaters, good stick-handlers, decent shots. It's almost like they've been playing since childhood. EXCEPT they don't know any rules/strategy. The first two weeks, we had to tell them the ref blew the whistle because of offsides. One of them plays RW and we had to tell him for two weeks not to stand behind the defencemen on faceoffs. One of them didn't know he could come out of the penalty box after the PP scores a goal.

Not trying to be judgemental, but how do you have an interest in hockey that long and never learn these things?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

xzzy posted:

Is there a better possible view to have at lunch?
Boobs? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

robcat posted:

what's the general preferred method to hold up socks if you aren't using the compression shorts w/ velcro? Do most people use a garter, or is it faster/easier to just tape them up?
General preferred is probably tape.

That said, I don't tape or velcro my socks at all and they stay in place just fine without it.

bewbies posted:

I recommend sweatpants, better than socks in every way.
Bullshit, they don't sell officially licensed Reebok EDGE sweatpants.

To be serious, though, I don't think there's any way I could do sweatpants. With compression, a jock, sweatpants and hockey pants, that's just too many layers. Too many layers. Man, doesn't it get hot? There's no way sweatpants breathe as well as knit socks.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 5, 2011