Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

bewbies posted:

I don't notice any difference at all between socks and sweatpants. It isn't like you're not sweating a ton anyway.

In any case sweatpants are still decisively superior. I can get to the rink 5 minutes before ice time starts and be ready with time to spare. :cool:
Sheesh. Speak for yourself. I'm a drat fountain after games.

I guess I just don't see how much time you're saving. It's not like pulling up two separate socks is so much more time consuming than one pair of sweatpants. Plus, I like to tighten my skates without shinpads in the way, and I'm not sure I'd be able to do that with sweatpants.

BTW, does anybody still have that picture that one guy drew to teach his wife how to dress his kid for hockey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Sexy Randal posted:

Is blocking shots frowned up in rec hockey?

Nobody really seems to do it my league, though I play in the lowest div so that may be a factor. I did it once covering the point and I guess the defenceman kind of looked at me confused and half-assed the shot as to not kill me.

I got the vibe afterward that blocking shots is a bit ungentlemanly at this level, though I'm not sure why (take the shot, if I get hurt it's my own fault for being stupid).
I don't think it's ungentlemanly at all. It's hockey and you're there to compete, gently caress what anybody else thinks. Just as long as you're not too serious about it, there's nothing wrong with a healthy level of competition.

That said, I've personally decided that at my level, I'm only ever gonna use my legs to block shots. Just not worth it. There's that small chance, though astronomically small, that I could die from a puck to the chest. No thanks.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

gigabitnokie posted:

What is the name of the rink? Link to sale details? My pops is scheming lately.

And hockey is a dangerous sport wherein blocking a shot is hardly the most dangerous bit, in my opinion.
What is the most dangerous part?

In most beer league/pick-up I've seen, the play is innocuous enough that shot blocking just might be the most dangerous part. I mean, as noted before, it can stop your heart. Not likely, but it can do it. Though, I think my experience of low-level hockey doesn't always match up with what other people experience.

If I have kids that play hockey, I know I'm gonna do my best to instill in them the instinct to not block shots. Soft ribcages and all.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Case in point: pro gloves are made with nylon now because it's lighter weight and not as "grabby" as wet leather. High end adult gloves, on the other hand, are made with leather because of its durability. I swear by leather.
The opinion (amongst both manufacturers and consumers) seems to be that modern high-end nylons (cable knit, TuffTek) are at least as durable as synthetic leathers, if not more.

Evil Mother Teresa posted:

Gotta disagree with you on high end sticks being less durable. I grabbed a Warrior Chronic (on closeout, again) and have put it through 7 or 8 months of abuse. I play D, so it's been hit by pucks, slashed, stepped on, repeatedly slammed into the ice and torqued heavily on slapshots, etc. Beyond a few deep nicks in the blade (which admittedly do worry me a bit, but they're clearly from skates), it's holding up fine. Blade hasn't gone soft, no cracks in the shaft. Hell, the paint hasn't even begun to chip off. Compare this to the two mid-level Bauers I rotated for a season that looked like they'd gone through hell (which includes deep gouges where the blade meets that shaft that looked more like stress fractures than skate damage), or the guys on my team that bought mid-level Warriors and are ready to trash them after 4 months of play.
Sample size = 1 PS stick, 6 mid-level sticks?

Also, you're comparing pro stock equipment to mid-level equipment, which really isn't fair. You should compare it to pro-level equipment (which is not the same as pro stock).

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

A simple, inexpensive and oft-neglected piece of equipment that I highly recommend, if people don't already use them, are suspenders. I bought a pair at the beginning of this season and they add so much comfort and stability.

If you don't wear suspenders you're probably forced to tighten the buckle on your pants extremely tight, and I've always found that uncomfortable, particularly when getting into a deep knee bend or when sitting down. In my unqualified, unscientific opinion I also believe that wearing your pants super tight around the waist pinches your quad muscles in an undesirable way.

With suspenders I'm wearing hockey pants but it barely feels like I'm wearing hockey pants, which is great because everyone secretly wants to do things pantless :dance:
I'm all about suspenders, but...

How can wearing something tight at your waist pinch a muscle that inserts below your waist?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Minister Robathan posted:

If you buy pants that fit properly you won't need suspenders :c00lbert:

No seriously, they should sit perfectly without them, but I can see how a lanky/skinny dude might need them to make them sit at the right place. I just hate having (relatively) useless poo poo touching my upper body.
As if the entire range of adult human waists can perfectly fit into one of four sizes...small, medium, large, XL? Hell, there's a poo poo ton more jean sizes then there are hockey pant sizes and people still need to wear belts. WHATEVER SUSPENDERS ARE THE BOMB. They help me hold my pants in the perfect spot without having to tighten them like a corset. :c00lbert:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Oh man, the worst is when you're playing a bunch of ringers and you CAN'T get off for a change because the puck never leaves your zone. IT'S THE PERFECT STORM.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

A fairly common prank is to put a dab of scotch tape over someone's blade before a game.
I feel like an idiot asking but...

What does this do? Just make the blade slippery?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Surfing Turtle posted:

Blade isnt biting into the ice since the tape is on there lol
OK, I'm clearly a moron because I read it and for some reason thought "why would scotch taping the blade of a hockey stick be such a great prank?"

Note to self: Skates also have blades. Also, you need to work on your memory.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Aggro posted:

Hey, back to Pants Chat. It has become painfully obvious (get it? because every blocked shot hurts herp derp) that the nine year old pants that I have now are not cutting it. How do I make sure that a pair from Hockey Monkey is going to fit? I haven't had to try on pants in almost a decade, so I have no idea what size I should get, or what the variations in size are between companies.
I think the obvious answer here is that the only way to tell if they fit is to try them on. Otherwise, nothing short of sending them a mold of your torso is going to do the trick.

In terms of variations in size between companies, Ice Warehouse review videos can be helpful at times. Otherwise, you pretty much just Google it. If there's too much noise on Google, you can try specific sites like Mod Squad Hockey (though they're definitely a bit anal about modding) or Ice Warehouse Message Board (probably too lax about modding).

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

bewbies posted:

Also lol Nike Bauer, in 10 years I'll be telling young whippersnappers about this strange failed marriage just like now I tell them that there used to be a company called "Cooper".
As far as I'm concerned, it was a successful marriage. I got some sweet deals on One75 goal pads and One95 sticks. I'm happy. I actually like seeing the Nike logo on stuff. Reminds me to "just do it."

Bewbies posted:

Also got One95 gloves for a whopping $84. It was around $230-240 worth of gear (2 years ago) for $145 shipped. :coal:
Let me/us know how those gloves are. I've been thinking about buying them. They seem to get mixed reviews, so I held off.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Lawnie posted:

Ohh god here it is. Have a look-see and tell me how to improve everything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngX9Fye3ujs
You're trying to put the oomph into your shot too soon. If the puck starts behind your feet, the first part of your shot needs to move it up so it's in front of your feet. The way you're shooting, the blade is releasing off the board as soon as you start to shoot.

Try to keep your hands out in front of your stick blade while you're pulling the puck forward to your feet. At some point, this will require you to flex your stick, so, you know, flex your stick. If your hands are in front of your stick blade, the blade is naturally going to point down towards the ice/board, so that's another thing to think about that could help your technique.

At some point, your blade is going to have to sweep forward and the blade is going to release off the ice. This is where the most power comes from because that's when the stick starts to unflex. You want this to happen at or in front of your feet. This should come naturally, though. It will be difficult to try and focus on this unless you're practicing slowly.

You then have to follow through, with your stick pointing at your target. This is another area to focus on.

In summary, I think that if you focus on 1. keeping your hands out front/blade pointed down for as long as possible and 2. following through so that your stick points at your target, everything else (hands wise) will sort of fall into place. Then you just have to practice over and over again.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1HUUJxZtJU&feature=related. Don't worry about anything else, just watch how his hands stay in front and how he follows through with his stick pointing forward. I think that this naturally leads to the release of the stick (and thus the beginning of stick unflexing) ahead of the feet.

Helpful in shifting your weight is to start with your back knee bent. In order to shift your weight, you will want your front knee bent, sort of pulling the rest of your body forward. You can straighten your back knee, but I think it's more common to just drag the leg or pick it up off the ice.

Personally, though, I think getting the right hand motion is really the key for beginners. Rolling your wrists over and shifting your weight are great hints and will help to refine your shot, but most beginners have bigger problems with their shot than not rolling their wrists or poor weight transfer and shouldn't focus on these things just yet.

Last hint: Nobody wearing skinny jeans has ever had a good shot. :smug:

EDIT: Also real important is to turn your feet so you're facing the puck. Forgot about that.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 28, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Alizee posted:

Is this a big deal?

[edit] Come september I could probably drop $100 on some new skates if I need to, but until then I'm stuck with these. Would baking them or wearing more socks or anything be good?
It can be. If the skates are sized true to shoe size, then it shouldn't be a huge deal. Usually, skate sizes correlate with a shoe size ~1.5 smaller, e.g. a 9.5 shoe size -> 8 skate. Potentially, your skates are designed for somebody with a 13.5 shoe. If this is the case, then yes, it will affect your skating.

Baking will not probably not help that much. The cheap skates might not be thermoformable, anyways.

BTW, you will probably want to spend more than $100 on your new pair of skates.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Kids these days! Needing a nice flat surface to shoot from! In my day, I shot on my deck, at a net that literally had 4 different nets on it, was smaller than regulation size, and eventually had 2 layers of snow fence on it cause I kept ripping the net apart. My deck had the wood going perpendicular to wear I was shooting, so the puck would catch on all the edges if I wasn't careful. You know what it taught me? Character!

Ok, now that that's outta the way, just get a loving piece of plywood. To practice shooting, it doesn't need to feel like ice, because it never will, since you're not on skates. You're working on the mechanics (weight transfer, follow through, etc) when you shoot on foot, not how it feels. It will NEVER feel the same as on ice, because you're an inch, inch and a half lower, and your feet will not glide in the same way either.
I feel like if you flexed your stick into plywood, it would be pretty drat difficult to progress along the shot enough for the blade to actually release...

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Habibi posted:

Works on concrete, why wouldn't it work on plywood? For all of my off-rink practice I grab a cheap wooden stick and rollerblade out to the local park that has a handball wall setup adjacent to a pretty smooth basketball court.
Eh. True.

Green Submarine posted:

Man, what ever happened to smacking around tennis balls in the basement?
I have to imagine people still do that, but I don't think it's the best way to improve your puck shooting.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

xzzy posted:

There's demo videos on youtube if you hunt around.. it looks like you can skate as if it were ice, though I have no idea how it "feels".

Apparently you can even hockey stop on the stuff, which amazes me.
It "feels" a little bit slow and you definitely work hard at it.

It also gets shavings all over all of your poo poo, and it deson't just melt and disappear.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Lawnie posted:

I would go for the nicer, not mesh version, myself.

More videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJLZ1j5yEOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zzI1VjtC-Q

Better, I think, but it looks like I'm doing something... wrong with my hands just before release.
Yes. Your hands need to lead your stick through the shot. Without fixing this, you will NEVER get a good shot.

Notice how you start with the stick straight up and down. Also, notice how as soon as you start the motion of your shot, your bottom hand is coming up and around already. If you're doing this, you won't ever get to a point where you can incorporate flexing your stick into your shot, and this will rob of you almost all your power and NOTHING you can do will make up for it.

Try this: When you set up to shoot, stand up closer to the middle of the board. Position the puck so that it's behind your back foot. Now, set your stick up how you'd start to shoot. You'll notice that your stick is going to go back behind you and the blade should be facing down into the ground. It should a little bit like the stick is anchored at the heel behind the puck, and tilted towards the net. ALL quality shots in hockey will have the stick in this position at some point during the shot, and how you get it there is what makes the shots different. THIS is the position that will help you leverage your weight transfer/anger/leaning/whatever.

Now, you should notice that from this position, if you push down with your bottom hand, your stick will flex. Got it? Cool. NOW shoot.

If you're still having problems, then try focusing on keeping your hands out in front of your stick and your blade pointed down into the ground for as long as possible during your shot. It may seem awkward, but contort your body however you need to do this. With enough practice, you may get the motion smoother and less awkward for you body, but the fundamentals should stay the same.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 3, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Lawnie posted:

And here I thought that the only thing I was doing much better was keeping the stick blade pointed downwards. Oh well, I'll be back out there tomorrow.
It's very possible, but it didn't really have the intended effect. My bad. That tip is not the magic bullet I thought it was going to be. I think it's kind of hard to interpret. :(

I am actually really interested in your shot development. My N/E team has probably 5-6 players who have the same flaw. They can't elevate it, though. I could always tell something was off, but I couldn't tell what and I wasn't sure how to fix it. I think watching your video gave me a similar vibe and has really helped me to figure out what it is that experienced shooters are doing that is so different from beginners.

I hope you don't feel too bad about me laying into your shot mechanics. A lot of people seem to have that kind of shot. My younger brother did once, and I spent almost two hours trying to fix it in the garage. It worked, but it was a lot of work and there has to be an easier way. Also, it was a long time ago and I don't remember what I told him.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm quite impressed that you managed to lift it, it's quite the feat.

Good luck, man, make sure you take video tomorrow, I want to see it.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Gio posted:

Second, pull the puck further in back of you before you shoot, putting your weight on your left foot then transferring it to your right as you shoot. This is what gives you power, and while it's not important at your stage to focus on power, it's important because it teaches proper form.
This is the MOST important because getting proper form is key. Without proper form, none of the other tips will affect his shot significantly. Carts, horses, etc.

If you watch the video slowly (hold space or download the video), you'll see that he's opening up his wrists early in his shot so that he can get the blade under the puck. That's how he's lifting it. If he starts turning his wrists over before fixing his form, the puck might go a bit faster, but it's not going to come off the ground (very well). The puck isn't wobbling because he isn't turning his wrists; they're wobbling because he's slicing them. Once you get proper form, turning your wrists over will feel more natural, and there will be a noticeable increase in shot velocity without affecting the rest of your shot. Without proper form, there might be speed increases, but you'll still be frustrated because the puck isn't picking up like it used to.

Lawnie, watch this video. Pay attention to his stick placement and how he drags the puck forward with his hands in front. Notice how far his hands get in front of his body before he starts releasing the puck.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Hey, Lawnie, now you're taking hints from TWO Red Wings fans. Suck it.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Green Submarine posted:

Another Hawks fan weighing in.

Hard to tell from those videos, because of the camera angle, but pay attention to how your top hand is moving. Right now it appears as though it's traveling forward for most of the shot. To get the right motion, your top hand should stay close to your body, finishing next to the side of your ribcage. This will move the stick's axis of rotation down, and get more of a snap on the shot.

This seems to be what's causing the puck-scooping coldwind observed, which is what happens when your top hand comes away from your body on a wrist shot.
Disagree. Your top should always finish by the side of your ribcage. This will come naturally with follow through. However, there's no reason your top hand should stay close to your body. If you want to release the puck further in front of your front skate, your top hand is going to have to move forward and come away from your body to get your stick positioned right.

Here's Mike Camalleri. His top hand is definitely out there. Here's some random guy. Here's a classic random guy. All their top hands move forward to varying degrees, and they all snap back to their ribcages on follow through.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Make it 3. :cthulhu:

Thirding what the other Wings fans said. Start the puck out behind your rear foot and you'll get a lot more power off a wrister. Sometimes this is hard in a game if you have people chasing you down though. Pull it too far back and they can get you with an easy stick lift from behind, so there's definitely times when you want to shorten your stroke. But for learning purposes, pull it back pretty far. That video above with the Canadian guy shows this really well.

Once you get the mechanics of 'flicking' the puck from heel to toe, work on putting some weight down on the stick and flex the poo poo out of it.

If you're short like me, get a 67 flex intermediate stick to get even more zing :v:
gently caress YEAH.

It's hard to get the puck in just the right position during a game, but as you get used to the motion in general, you'll find yourself doing it quicker. I think you'll also just find that you'll learn to adjust to the puck. Practice with it in the "perfect" position enough and you'll start to naturally adapt. I think.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Green Submarine posted:

If you look at Cammalleri and the other guys you posted, their top hands makes a smooth arc around the front of their bodies rather than jutting out and then pulling back. That's what I meant; that's the difference between a two-part motion of pushing the puck forward before snapping the wrists around and making a smooth rolling motion. It doesn't need to be hugging your chest, but it needs to keep a consistent distance and shouldn't pop away from you when you start your wind up. Lawnie is starting out with a bit of a push, and the way to correct that is to keep his top hand closer in so he gets a smoother arc.

Perhaps my phrasing was a bit vague, but my experience with coaching is that it helps to give people mechanical directives (keep your top hand closer in) rather than outcome directives (don't scoop the puck). Once they have the mechanics down, and do it a couple hundred times, the outcomes will follow on their own.
Oh. I see. I guess we're agreed. Well, except, I don't Lawnie scooping the puck is something that's happening to his shot and needs to be fixed. I think he's doing it on purpose because that's the easiest way to lift the puck the way he's shooting. I think if we get him starting with the puck back and shooting properly, he'll stop doing that because he won't need to.

I don't know.

Also, I MacGuyvered this doo-hickey that might be useful as a training aid. Video quality is lovely because it was recorded on a point-and-shoot camera that is probably 3 years old. Oh well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAX1sn4d9pM

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Lawnie posted:

More videos...
Looking a lot better!! Progress is great. Starting with that puck back helped a lot.

I'd say try to do slow work on using your hands and legs to keep the stick at the same angle to the ground as long as possible. If we're looking at a frame when the puck is behind your back foot and a frame when the puck is almost to your front foot, it should like the stick has done nothing but shifted forward. Confusing? Have a picture!!

Excuse the poor drawing. See how the nice blue stick is sort of parallel to the original stick? Getting your top and bottom hands in a position to keep the stick like that make you naturally want to drop that back knee and bend your front knee. And guess what? Your weight has transferred beautifully. Didn't even have to think about your legs. Your top hand is going to be out in front of your body. As it is, your top hand is hugging your rib a little bit too much.

From this position, when you "flick" the puck, the top hand is going to sweep up and then come back to your ribcage and the bottom hand is going to swing out front.

But really, don't worry about all the little mechanical details. I would practice slowly at this point and work on keeping that stick at the same angle and getting it out as far in front of your body as possible. Get it further than illustrated in the picture. Try getting the puck all the way up to your front foot with that stick still at the same angle. This is going to require that you shift your weight really well and it's going to get your legs into the action in a way that you won't even have to think about it.

This is just a drill, though. When you start shooting in non-slow-mo for realsies, you probably won't be getting that stick as far out in front as you would during the drill, but getting that muscle memory is really going to help your technique and really help you get that weight and Iron-Maiden-anger into the puck for a sick shot.

Your follow through/wrist turning could use another 90° of rotation. REALLY turn that wrist around.

You're really, really close. Very pleased with the progress. That sounds condescending, like I'm your personal instructor or something. Oh well. I think only a few more changes and you're going to have a wicked shot. Well, in shoes. Everything is different on ice and skates, but...you know. You'll have the foundation down.

Wouldn't worry about accuracy too much just yet. You don't want to get accurate before you've finished making all the tweaks because those tweaks might throw things off.

EDIT: Just noticed on some of these shots, you're still opening your blade up and sort of chipping under it. Working on getting that stick far out front still parallel to it's original position will get rid of this.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 4, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Lawnie posted:

You're pretty much incredible. I'll be back at it tomorrow afternoon sometime, then I'll probably head over to the rink for rat hockey and see how much I can get to translate to ice, at least for now. Really looking forward to it.

Since you've taken such a personal interest in me, I'd like to at least get you a new avatar or something. Let me know.

EDIT: I can totally feel how close I am, too. It's gonna be awesome the first time I really rip one, I can tell. So excited.
New avatar? But this is only...it's only a few months old!! Er something. Already have plat, blah blah blah. Thank you for the generosity, though. I just...don't have any use/need for any of that right now.

Honestly, best thing you can do is to keep posting videos and letting us know what hints are working the best for you. Like I mentioned, a lot of my teammates are learning to shoot, too, and your videos are really helpful to help deconstruct what they're doing wrong and how to change. Also, they're really insightful because we can see the results of our hints and tips and see which ones work and which ones need to be refined.

I have a lot of close, personal friends who are learning to play the game, too, and I haven't been able to get them to shoot and this is really helping me figure out what advice to dispense and what not. When they get good enough to get out of the beginner league, we'll finally all be able to move up. So really, you're indirectly helping me move up a league.

On a slightly related note, our N/E team got a tough, tough 5-3 win last night. Hadn't played for 3 weeks. Missing 4 guys (including 3 of the 7 guys who can hockey stop), leaving us with 8 total skaters. We run 3 defense, 5 forwards. We thought it was going to be a rough night and were hoping for a moral victory but managed to get a regular one. It was awesome. Everyone being tired early made us want to pass more. It was good.

I had a bit of an "offensive outburst" on the blue line, picking up 2 helpers, both to my buddy who later potted his third goal of the night without my help. Awesome.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Not to add too much more, as coldwind is giving you solid advice, but...

Look at your target when shooting. Instead of looking at the puck, try to feel it on your stick. Not looking at the puck when you shoot feels weird at first, but you will be substantially more accurate if you look where you're shooting. The secondary benefit of looking at the target is that it helps load your core (your body naturally wants to turn where you're looking).

Good luck, man. It's amazing to see your progress in such a short amount of time. Now I know why all NHL players had old nets or beat-up clothes dryers in their basements.

e: Oh yeah, one other non-shooting note to help with your weight transfer. When you're practicing stick-handling, always shift your weight with the puck. Puck moves to the right, your weight shifts to your right leg. Puck moves to the left, your weight shifts to your left leg. This weight transfer helps with every aspect of the game - stickhandling, shooting, skating with the puck.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. He kind of reminds me of a little kid, focusing so hard on something everybody else sorta takes for granted. Just watch the video, but imagine he's like, 5 or 6 instead of 20. ADORABLE (no homo). Lawnie, next video, make sure you keep that intense focus, but magnify it by furrowing your brow and licking your lips.

Oh God, was that weird? That wasn't weird, was it?

But yeah, it's a great tip. If it's too much to think about right now or you find it getting in the way of what you're trying to do, feel free to file under "advanced tips for later". Eventually, though, you're gonna want that head up when you shoot. Sooner, rather than later, too.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Lawnie posted:

I was out back practicing today, but I was getting really frustrated because I wasn't lifting the puck at all and felt like I had a bit of regression. I'll be back out once more today but if it doesn't go any better I'm gonna hold off until Monday before making more any more video. I'm feeling sore, so maybe I just need a rest. Thanks for all the encouragement, though. You guys are awesome.

EDIT: Changed my mind, went back out once it was a little cooler and felt much more comfortable. Here are a couple more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXpSsQEiCek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcO3g_AFKNA

Thoughts: I'm doing a bit better with the weight transfer, thought I'm not sure if dropping my back leg is okay or not. still need to work on getting my bottom wrist all the way over, and getting that arc with my top hand. I've been telling myself to hit myself in the ribs with that top hand, and it has helped some. Finally, really need to find some way to get my hands out further so I can get the stick further forward before release like coldwind so deftly illustrated. All in all, I think these look better today than yesterday.

Aaaaaaaaaaand i double posted. Thanks SALR.
Legs look better, hands about the same. Sometimes a consequences of improved technique is that results get worse before they get better. Not worrying unless it becomes a pattern.

I think at this point, you're going to have to turn the advice into a drill. Like, the kind your coach had you do when you were 7. Hated it? Yeah, but it worked. I think to continue improving your hand motion at this point, you're going to have to get past a certain level of awkwardness that might be difficult if you're practicing full speed.

Start in your stance, drag the puck up slowly, focusing only on maintaining the stick angle. Start with your knees bent, then let your legs move naturally as you perform the drill. Don't think about dropping your back knee and bending the front one. Clear all such thoughts from your mind in the most zen-like manner. Keep moving that stick forward, trying to maintain the stick angle as best as possible. Slowly.

Once you've got it as far as you can go, just hold it for a second, then follow through on your shot, focusing only on turning your wrist over. I think doing this drill enough will get your brain used to getting the puck in a position to release the shot out in front of you. When you start doing it again regular speed, the over-exaggerations will work their way into your technique when you don't have time to think about it. You know, hopefully.

Another possible drill/test would be to take your legs completely out of the shot. Turn with your feet facing away from the puck, twist your torso around and shoot with just your hands.

Well, that's what I got for now. Haven't had time to frame-by-frame a few shots, might not get the time until tomorrow, but I can't imagine my advice would be too different. Don't get frustrated, take a day off if you need it.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

real_scud posted:

Man inline guys do weird poo poo.

In our league there's two time formats, one for regular season and one for playoffs. Regular season it's 3 20 minute rolling clock periods with penalties going for 3 minutes, get 3 penalties in a game and you get booted from it.

Playoffs are 20-minute stopped clock and penalties going down to 2 minutes. We have no OT, even in playoffs and instead go right to a shootout.

Which is odd in the playoffs but better than what we used to do when there wasn't any OT or shootout and instead had lots of games end in ties.
It's not odd, they probably have a game or something else scheduled right after, and they can't sit around and wait while you settle your tie for 20 more minutes.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Blinks posted:

:words:
Well, if you got a video camera and a shooting board and can get some footage of yourself shooting (like Lawnie, here), we can definitely have a look at that. Would probably be the most helpful.

It's really hard to figure out what you're doing, especially since you can lift your slapshot. How hard is your slapper?

Lawnie posted:

VIDEOS
Well, how do you feel about the shot? Do you find it's going faster? Fast enough? Feel like it's progress? It's definitely progress. Almost there.

You're still releasing a little bit early (for my liking, at least). Try really exagerrating the drill. Like, really exagerrate. When the blade is at your front foot, whatever it takes to have as extreme an angle as you can. If it means lifting up your shoulder and straightening your elbow a little, then do it. With that blade at your front foot (during the drill), you want to still be in a position to be able to flex the stick with your bottom hand. In fact, you may want to try incorporating flexing the stick into the whole drill.

I'm looking at your shot, and honestly it looks pretty good almost all the way through, but there's still a bit of nag/awkwardness at the back of my mind. It took me awhile to figure out what it is, but I think it's this: your bottom elbow is straight/not flexed enough. Definitely want it bent, and it shouldn't straighten out until you're following through. I think it'll help with the wrist turnover, weight transfer and your blade angle. I hope.

I think if not for that elbow, woulda looked perfect to me.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Alizee posted:

If anyone can give me their opinion on which skates I should buy that'd be sweet cause I'm considering buying them tomorrow.
A. Play It Again are loving assholes. In general.
B. If the $500 Grafs don't fit your foot, then they won't be worth the $150 you pay for them.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Alizee posted:

Ok guys I'm back with my purchase!!! At first I went over and I was going to buy the X:30's. But they only had size 5,6 and 13 lol. Everything else was either too cheap, or too above my price point new.

So I decided to go check out the Graf's try them on and see if they fit me well. I walked around in them for 10-15 minutes and did some squats and some cartwheels, a few triple luts and decided to lock in my answer.

So here's a picture of these bad boys. I got $20 trade in on my old skates and a free sharpening. So after all that they were $140 tax included.

I'm so pumped to skate in them tomorrow and saturday. They're so much smaller and better fitting then the other skates, the other ones were practically clown shoes by comparison.

They're a size 9 so I'm really surprised they fit so well. A size 11 shoe fits me snug and I wear 12's in sneakers.

Those look sick.

Also, sick was not an adjective I used to describe good things until about 9 months into playing hockey. Weird.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

oddIXIbbo posted:

An excellent find. I'm glad you like the fit. They will feel completely different actually skating instead of standing and doing cartwheels. This is likely a very good thing. I hope they bring you long term happiness.

I thought the Vapor X:40 was the lowest bakeable skate. Shows what I know.

Also, I've never owned skate guards. Once I put on skates, if it isn't covered in rubber, I don't go there.
How do you keep them from clanking around in your bag?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

I keep these on my skates at all times, unless they're on my feet:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-hockey-ac-blade-covers-08.html

e: Looks like those are only available in junior sizes, but there's other brands on HM if you go under Skates > Skate Accessories.
Well, yeah, isn't that exactly what we were talking about? oddIXIbbo said he didn't have any.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

I have the RBK 5k Bag and really like it (dunno if I have the 36" or 40" though...). Carries my skates on either side and roomy enough for all the rest of my poo poo. Always put my skates in with soakers (and rub 'em off with a towel after every skate) so I've never had a problem with wear-through. Had this bag forever and a day.

Although there are upsides to getting a wheeled bag, like you could have your husband wheel it in for you.
Just reminded me, one of my teammates sometimes has her fiance carry all her stuff to and from the car. It's hilarious.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Surfing Turtle posted:

Inline or not this should never happen. My roller league calls the game if a team goes up by 8.
The problem with this is that people (mainly sympathy for the guys on the losing end) get cheated out of hockey that they paid for.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Why the do guys always try to send pucks top shelf from the point like they're damned Nicklas Lidstrom? I'll never understand that. One of the first things I learned playing D was to keep shots on (or near) the ice to generate rebounds.
You'll be surprised to hear this, but not everybody has the accuracy on their slapshot that Lidas does. It's a hard shot to keep down and aim really well. But, I mean, if you get the puck at the point and you've got the open lane, what can you do? It is really, really hard not to take that shot.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

The number one thing d-men are (or should be) taught is to keep the puck down. Especially in beer league, if you start to get a rep for sending them so much as dick high, much less head high, NO ONE will stand in front of the shot, and it's actually pretty hilarious to see both teams move out of the way after the first time all the forwards do so. Which means that your "open lane" suddenly becomes poo poo because the goalie will stop an unscreened shot from the point 99% of the time.
Wait, isn't this beer league? Who's getting any teaching? Especially at the beer league level, some guys you can tell to keep their shot low all you want and they can be trying as hard as they can, but that doesn't always mean results.

I guess I'm just saying that just because the shot goes high doesn't mean the guy was trying to shoot high, especially at the beer league level.

Also, maybe (probably) we play at different levels, but I've seen a pretty good number of goalies who wouldn't come close to stopping 99% of unscreeened point shots.

EDIT: lower beer league levels.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 15, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

bewbies posted:

In the hundreds of beer league and pickup games I've played I've never seen anyone get hurt because of a lack of shoulder pads. A couple times of year guys will get hit by a puck and get a bruise, but that's about the upper limit.

I personally don't wear them because they're hot and heavy, plus the above fact makes the risk-reward calculation pretty simple.
Wait, if nobody ever gets hurt, then why were you yelling at this guy for taking chest-high slapshots? He apparently isn't going to hurt anybody very much.

Taking a high shot is perfectly legitimate (assuming he wasn't TRYING to cause injury), even if it's not the smartest hockey move. Sometimes it happens by accident, too. And you don't even know if the dude had his head up and knew there were that many guys in front of the net. We aren't all professional level players with impeccable and perfectly consistent technique who can pick corners and skate with their heads up at all times and it's perfectly reasonable to expect that the players on the ice are either adequately protected for any shot you take or prepared to accept the consequences of not being protected.

If you go over the risk-reward and decide wearing a visor or not wearing shoulder pads or whatever is worth more than the risk, that's fine. But don't go reaping all the reward, then blame somebody else when the risk comes back to bite you in the rear end. I'm not going to change my game just to accomodate you enjoying all the rewards and avoiding all the risk. If a goalie decided he wanted to wear player shoulders because he was more comfortable, then asked you to not shoot hard so he doesn't get hurt, you'd tell him to gently caress off.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

oddIXIbbo posted:

I would like to see, somehow, more emphasis on teaching younger/inexperienced skaters to keep their goddamned sticks down when they are skating without the puck. The worst facial injury, splitting my upper lip like a hare, came from backchecking. An opponent racing for the puck, skating ahead of me with two hands on his stick, hit me on the back swing. The puck was probably 20 feet ahead and there was no reason for his stick to be up there, aside from carelessness.

I wear a cage now, but it is my choice. I don't trust the other players to be as careful as I am. Force cages at all levels and there is no reason to learn to be careful with your stick.
A. If everybody had to wear a cage, people wouldn't have to learn to keep their sticks down. They would want to, but it wouldn't be necessary for the safety of the game. Cept maybe the refs. OK, they have to wear cages, too.

B. It's up to an adult to chose their place in the risk-reward spectrum, but it's also up to the hockey organization to decide what the extremes are of that spectrum. Not wearing a helmet is also part of the spectrum, but the organizations can (and should) make that part of the spectrum off limits.

C. Many players never get any formal (or even semi-formal) instruction. How do you handle that? I mean, do you force them to get instruction?

(I'm not in support of mandating cages. Just saying how somebody in support could counter your arguments.)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Holy poo poo, I think I may have found yellow-enough gloves!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eagle-X65i-Hockey-Gloves-NEW_W0QQitemZ220790423946QQcategoryZ20853QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem#vi-content

Need to find out how "gold" they are instead of bright yellow though. The Eagle website is pretty terrible.

e: VVV you're telling me. I've been looking for almost a year now. I'm bored in the PDX airport and figured I'd do my 2000th google search for yellow gloves and bang those showed up.

Last week there was a lady on the other team we played who had black and yellow gloves. After the game I asked her where she got them, and she said she bought them 15 years ago in a local shop that's now closed :smith:
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/hockeymonkey_2159_138605939

You're welcome, just buy me a beer sometime. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Yeah I usually stick with something relatively light between games on the same day, if I even eat at all. Just drink a lot of water, regardless.
water with 'lytes and sugar (eg gatorade).