Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

JetsGuy posted:

To be fair, the Summer league is a lot different than Winter league, and our division only has 4 teams. There's another team just as good as we are, and the other two just have their good players hurt.

Also, the captain of the team we beat Sunday *always* gets annoyed when a team lets up in a blow out. He's come over during intermissions in other games and said "don't you let up on us, assholes". I actually kind of agree with that logic in a sense. I'd rather lose in a blow out then lose badly knowing that the other team let up.
As one of the better players on my team (as that captain probably is), I can still get some fun out of being demolished because I have enough experience/skill to at least make a few plays per game. But when we're getting crushed in a game like that, I see many of our players spend their 15 minutes of ice time essentially getting a really good view of the other team playing hockey and that's it. And it's not fun for them. And that kind of defeats the point of them paying and playing, because it's rec league and the rec stands for recreation.

I guess I can kind of see the "shame" in having a team let up on you and it's happened to me and I feel a little bit shameful or coddled or whatever. But I can let that all go because if I have to feel bad so that all of our players can collect a few pucks, make a few passes and overall feel like they actually played hockey instead of paying $15 for a 15-minute open skate with hockey equipment, then it's all worth it because that's why we joined a rec league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Physical therapist cleared me to skate. I'm gonna skate. I'm not gonna play hockey yet, but I'm gonna skate. I'm pretty pumped.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

I leave mine in the garage. But then again I'm sort of gross.

And for the next year my life is basically owned by the vet teaching hospital as I've just started my senior clinical year. Goodbye to playing hockey all the time. Hello to feeling like an idiot all the time.
Never be afraid of feeling or looking like an idiot. I don't know how many times I was asked about a differential and I was thinking of something and didn't say because I thought I would look stupid, then somebody else said it and the attending said "yeah, that's an important one."

Also, gently caress it, just play hockey all the time anyways. Come on, gotta have some priorities. Just slip out for an hour or two. Say you were in the bathroom. :)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Played hockey today. First time since the ankle fracture. Felt alright, although I did feel a little pain on one particularly vigorous push. The stopping isn't there like it used to be, the crossovers are kind of giving me fits and I fell on my rear end about five times.

I think I'm going to get back to play in a pretty low level league. I'm pumped.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't be too predictable with your faceoffs. If the other guys know what you're gonna try, they can start planning around that. Sometimes, you don't always have to win a faceoff cleanly by yourself- if you tie up the other guy or lift his stick and co-ordinate with your wingers, you can win a clean faceoff that way.

If your teammates know what you're going to try, they can better help you out and support you. Communication always helps.

And as HZ says, don't score on your own goalie. When you're taking a faceoff there, that's a particularly good time to change up your technique, switch hands, tie up the other center, etc.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

You can definitely get curbstomped and the score "only" be 3-0, especially in the lower leagues the shots are slow and the releases are slower and any goalie who can butterfly can be a rock star. If you lose a game and spend 80% of the game in your own zone and 15% in the neutral zone, that's still a game where you have zero chance of winning. Maybe you guys are too far removed from beginner hockey, but when all of your effort on the ice is spent trying to clear the zone and when you finally do, it gets turned around at center ice and sent right back in, it's a curb stomp, even if you lose by "only" three or four goals.

I think hockey suffers the unevenness problem worse than other sports. Every sport has its show-off sandbaggers who like to dominate less experience players, but I think with hockey they ended up concentrated in leagues, because it's so much harder to show somebody up in a street game or pick-up or what not because it's just so much less popular. That, and the fact that hockey beginners may lack any semblence of mobility, which doesn't happen in any other sport. The barriers to newb domination in hockey are just so low.

As a devil's advocate, I will celebrate ANY time I score, doesn't matter if I'm on the wrong (or right) end of a lopsided game. I only score, like, once every 2 months. And it's just such an awesome feeling, it's hard not to get pumped.

All that said, keep playing hockey dude, it's so loving awesome.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

canuckanese posted:

Maybe if the other team is all guys who should probably be a division or two up...
That happens a lot in our beginner league during summer when the player pool gets smaller. The people who are left playing in the summer are the hardcore guys and suddenly a lot of them don't have teams for a season or two and so they move down. And by the time the league director starts talking to them, they're back to whatever league they usually play in during the fall.

Plus, in a big university town so there's always new players arriving every year.

canuckanese posted:

...and your entire team is made up of guys who just finished a learn to skate class or something...
It doesn't take a team full of beginners to have difficulty setting up an offense when the other 5 guys are all good skaters. If you put two good skaters at D and they spend all their effort digging pucks out of their corner and are too tired to lead or join the rush. Now, you've got beginner forwards going against solid defensemen, and they aren't winning a lot of pucks in the corners or on the boards and when they do, they've been hounded so much that their instinct is to blindly throw the puck to the crease where the other team picks it up and now your defense starts to retreat because who has the energy to pinch and then potentially have to catch up on the backcheck?

It seems to take a lot of experience before forwards will start using their defensemen on offense, so if you put your top 40% of skaters there, they are going to be taken out of the offense a lot. And if you're the only good skater on a forward line, it's hard to sustain a set offense by yourself (against 5 good skaters). So, potentially 60% of your team could be better players and you still have difficulty maintaining offense.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

canuckanese posted:

Yeah I was about to say, even if the goalie is playing phenomenal, you're talking about a beginner who is going against guys who are clearly much better. There's no way they only score 3 goals while having possession in the offensive zone 80% of the game. That's 48 minutes assuming you play a full 60 minute game.
If the other team doesn't have many forwards who can shoot well, it's not that hard. Just because you're good at skating doesn't mean you can finish. We're talking low level hockey, you don't have to be a well rounded player to be one of the better players in the league.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

Seriously, what good does USAH *really* do for us?

Like their catastrophic insurance is not gonna be able to help too much if you're in a *REALLY* bad injury. We're essentially paying $50/yr for a magazine subscription, right?
I think they cover poo poo over $1000 after your regular insurance. I broke my ankle in February and I'm probably gonna cash in. CHA CHING.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Time to vent.

Played defense tonight. We played against a team that's won the league four of the last five season and haven't been kicked out because they're friends with the league director. Who actually tried to play for them. Whatever. They have a lot of team speed and the defensemen are busting rear end because we are spending 75% of the time in our zone and sprinting to get to pucks that inevitably turn over at the blue line anyways.

Our goalie isn't great, but I don't mind. Me and my partner go back to collect a puck that has been dumped in, I yell at the goalie (not mean, but to make sure he hears me) to stop it for us. Doesn't move. He just watches it go around the net. I bust my rear end to try and get it as it wraps around, but I don't get to it in time and their offense sets up and I bust my rear end and when we finally clear, I get my winded rear end to the bench.

Very next shift, same drat thing. WTF. I'm kinda pissed and yell "Goddammit goalie!!"

But I calm down and next whistle, I go over and tell him, "hey man, you gotta help us out and stop a puck or two behind the net." And he flips. "What, you want me to do your loving job!?" Well, no, it's not my job to stop dump-ins behind the net, but whatever. Well, maybe it is my job, but it's his job, too.

"Yes."

"OK, I'll do your loving job!!"

And I just think...whatever. Period ends, I head back to the bench and so does goalie, who starts up again.

"Hey, defensemen: if you don't want to do your loving jobs maybe you should move up to forward instead!!" And it gets kind of heated and there's some yelling back and forth (I don't participate) but it all calms down and we keep on playing.

We get to the locker room and we've all calmed down, and he starts explaining to me his point of view, which can be summed up as "I'm not Marty Turco, therefore I will NEVER stop a puck behind the net for you, ever."

And I just can't believe anybody would have that attitude. I know that he's not the best skater or stickhandler or whatever, but he won't even make any effort to try and stop a puck for us? Absolutely refuses? We bust our asses to keep pucks out of his net for 60 minutes and that's the teammate he is going to be? Can't help, won't even try? I'm really thinking about taking his suggestion and moving to forward, because I'm just not sure that I want to play for a goalie who straight up refuses to help out his D. I think that's totally lovely.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

There's definitely no excuse for his attitude, he should be willing to help out his teammates even if it's not something that he's comfortable with. I was a little confused about your description though. Was the other team dumping the puck into your zone or were they passing/clearing the puck around the boards? If the other team is already attacking, then I can understand his reluctance to leave the net, but if they are dumpins, then he can make an attempt to stop them even if it's not something he's comfortable with.

You know as well as I do that a lot of beer league goalies aren't comfortable playing the puck or even skating out of the net and some teams even discourage it, so it does create an atmosphere where a goalie may not view playing the puck as part of his responsibilities. He should still help out when asked, but it sounds like he was frustrated by having the puck stuck his zone all game and he may have been overloaded with the thought of doing something he was uncomfortable with on top of everything else it.

How much do you play the puck when you're in net? I'll stop some dumpins and play the puck if the opportunity presents itself, but normally my defensemen just want me to stay out of the way. I've started playing the puck more in some situations and I suspect that I'll need to get even more involved in that aspect of the game this season. It's hard because confidence is everything with playing the puck, but it can get frustrating when your D gets mad at you for playing the puck. Usually, it's not a mistake, but they seem to get on edge if I wait "too long" to pass or clear the puck even though I'm purposely trying to draw in the attacker to create space for me to pass or clear the puck out of harms way. Goalies playing the puck is a really underdeveloped skill in beer leagues.

It was both, I think. I don't really remember the details.

Yeah, I can certainly relate to being nervous and uncomfortable playing the puck, but...come on. I mean, you're a goalie right? If you signed up and thought you'd avoid having nervous or uncomfortable moments then you clearly made an awful choice.

Overall, it's just messed up and a lovely attitude to have toward your teammates and like you said, there's no excuse for it.

In terms of my net playing, I don't play that frequently anymore and when I do, it's drop-in so it's kind of lazy as it is. I do my best to stop everything I can before it gets out of reach for the defense and I try to set them up in a good spot or make a simple pass for them. I don't try to make any stretch passes or breakout, it's just too much for my limited skill.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

Handling pressure is a big part of goaltending. Hopefully, he'll realize that he acted like an rear end and learn from his mistakes.

How is your ankle doing? Are you getting close to being able to play more net or do you think you'll be skating out for the foreseeable future?
Ankle is doing well. I basically don't think about it anymore, which is good and bad. I probably need to work on strengthening it, but I just don't because it doesn't really bother me day to day. I think at this point, it's not stopping me from playing net.

What's really stopping me is lifestyle. My job/hours change month to month, so it's hard to a team to play with regularly and the shinny I usually tend for is outdoor and therefore winter only. I've been skating out twice a week and that's probably too much so it may be awhile/never before I find a goaltending spot that really works with my need for flexibility. Which is too bad, because I'd really like to get back to it.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

sellouts posted:

I don't think it's prudent to spend a lot of money starting any hobby and with skates I know plenty of dudes better than me in far worse skates. I don't know anyone who has been better than me because of their skates.

If it fits well, it doesn't matter, especially starting out. If it doesn't fit well, sure, spend the money to make it fit well.

But that's just like my opinion, man.

(And if you're going to do this, do it as smartly as possible which is almost never by walking into a big box retailer. But I am a buy skates once a decade or more used from eBay and then skate barefoot in them aka a gross person. )
That, plus you have to consider your weight, how much you skate and how well you skate. A novice skater who weights 110lb and skates once a week is NEVER going to break in an APX skate.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

We're getting demolished, 9-5. I'm on my keister after getting body-checked and I ask the ref "where the hell is the call?"

"Do you want me to call that slash on you earlier?" he replies, indignantly.

I don't respond, but now I feel myself get white-hot with rage. I think to myself "that guy who checked me? I'm gonna gently caress his poo poo up."

Well, while I'm getting, he's picked up the puck and is at center ice near the boards. I'm about 3/4 of the width of the rink away from him. I'm seeing red, I lick my lips...I sprint as hard as I can. He looks up and sees me. He may have peed himself a little, but I'm not sure. But I imagine he said to himself "gently caress this," as he dumped the puck into the corner. I instinctually chase the puck. He has ensured his safety for just a little while longer.

I calmed down pretty soon after that, realize it was dumb to go chasing this guy when it's the ref that's the biggest poo poo pile and even so, I really don't want to injure anybody.

I guess my point is, gently caress the ref. gently caress that officiating. If my slash deserved a minor, I should have got the drat minor. That check for sure deserved a minor and when I didn't get it I got pissed and when the ref got all pissed back, I got even angrier. That is just...lovely. He's a lovely ref and I hope I never see his rear end in skates ever again.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Of course I should talk to the league about my issues with officiating. Do you really think that I posted here instead, hoping and praying that one of you would find out what league I play in and contact them for me?

No, I don't expect NHL refs. But I do expect that in a no-check league, if a referee watches an opponent skate directly towards me, and then knocks me over by putting a shoulder into my sternum, that he should know that's a penalty and that he should call that penalty. That is not unreasonable in any way.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

I'm trying to wrap my head around why you thought that between getting checked and getting angry, I stopped and made a list of the pros and cons of getting angry and then, considering all the data, came to logical conclusion that it was my best course of action. Especially given that I said I thought what I did was dumb and didn't wish to hurt anybody.

I guess it's hard for you to understand, but humans are not controlled by microchips. We have brains that make these things called emotions. They're powerful and they might not always lead us to the smartest course of action. You may think it's a weakness and I imagine when the Great War is upon us, it will be one of the things you try to eradicate from this world. But, for now, you will just have to accept it as reality, confusing though it may be to your circuits.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

kill me now posted:

Being able to control your emotions means you're an adult, it doesn't mean you're a robot. Acting like a baby and throwing a tantrum is not being an adult.

I had a little napolean complex dude straight up take a swing at me a few games ago. Did I flip out and beat the poo poo out of him? No.. Could I have? probably. I let his mortified teammates pull him away and let the refs give him a game misconduct and toss him.
Was I mad that he had he tried to punch me (he actually did clip my cage) yes, of course I was, but standing there staring him down like his punch meant nothing was much more gratifying as was my team ringing them up on the ensuing power play.
We have all had moments where we've lost our cools or let our emotions get the best of us. I'm sure they've happened to you, too. Admitting that they sometimes happen is a perfectly mature thing to do. We shouldn't pretend it never happens and that everybody should be in control of their emotions at all times, or that people who occasionally lose their cool are somehow worse people. That's naive. That's robotically naive.

It's really funny you told that story to show how much of an adult you were, because it was full of things that weren't really all that mature. Why did you mention he was little and had a Napoleon complex? How was that relevant? Or did you just want to belittle him while you told us the story? Then you stared him down in an obvious attempt to intimidate him. That's kinda childish. Like, teenage childish. Just skating away would have been a far more adult response. And the smug satisfaction you got over the revenge you gleaned? That's not a very mature response.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

The difference being is that acting on those emotions is the wrong you committed.
Um, yeah, I already said that what I did was stupid. That was part of my first post. Was the point of that whole sanctimonious post to tell me I shouldn't have done that when I already admitted I shouldn't have done that?

19 o'clock posted:

Yes, I get upset at the guy who hooks my arm to bleeding, cross checks me from behind, slew foots me - but I don't act on it like a child.
If you're seriously going to tell me that you've never in your life acted on an emotion in an irrational manner, like yelling at a boss or a friend or a partner or a child that was aggravating you, or kicking or pounding on or yelling at an inanimate object when something didn't go your way, then I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit.

xzzy posted:

That got dumb in a hurry, we should go back to joking about abusing refs.
Who was joking? I've got a game tonight, I hope I see that same ref, I'm gonna hipcheck him. It's gonna be great because he won't expect it at all.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yeah, gently caress those "zebras," huh? :black101:

Note how I used a clever derogatory term.

Wait that's a derogatory term? I thought it was just descriptive.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

SAS Hockey Player Thread: I've lost my poo poo, but never in a hockey game. That makes me better than you.

SAS Hockey Player Thread: Making fun of people's height on the internet is the pinnacle of maturity.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Verman posted:

my favorite moment was at an early morning (8am) sticks and pucks at my home rink in michigan. I showed up and was the only person for about an hour, the session was 2 hours.
That sounds like late afternoon in hockey terms. I'd show up at 6am for skates some days and be the seventh or eighth guy there.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Pleads posted:

Hahaha that is some Beer League Defense right there. I'd have chopped your legs out from under you :colbert:
I'm sure it always looks awful when you only see one frame every two seconds.

It never matters if we're up and/or by how much, I'm ALWAYS pumped when I score. I'm a stay-at-home D and I score about twice a season, so it's always an exciting for me.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

I heard a lecture from the Red Wings nutritionist that was pretty cool. She suggested a high carb meal about 24 hours before performance time to build up glycogen stores. She then assured us that all of the players had their high carb meals last night and that we would surely win Game 7 against Chicago that night...sad trombone.

Hydration, I've heard that most important is to be well hydrated before you begin performing, so I try to make sure I'm peeing clear on game day.

The nutritionist told us that some of the guys drink pickle juice between periods, I think that's really what I've been missing this whole time.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

xzzy posted:

Hey, they got to within one goal of winning after the ref awarded them a second chance. :v:

Carbs the day before is pretty standard advice, as is hydrating. You can't do either of those last minute and expect good results.

The pickle juice thing is to prevent cramps, it has a lot of sodium in it (ie electrolytes) so it basically does the same thing gatorade claims to.
I've never heard the carbs the day before thing. Hm.

She didn't say anything about cramps, she said it was more for volume. I guess they like to do hypertonic fluid between periods (and especially before OT) and that was the choice for some guys. It was this lecture about nutrition in high performance sports but I don't think I got much out of it because I just spent the whole time going "what is this, she just name drops my favorite athletes like they're normal people."

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

^^lol 'beer_league.txt'

Well the problem is that I don't know how to approach things as a new skater because I haven't been one at all in my adult life! I literally do not remember how I learned to skate, stop, turn, etc because it's always felt 'natural' to me. Best I can come up with is doing circles at super slow speed over and over with that one edge but that doesn't feel like it gets me anywhere. Maybe I'm just being impatient with it, DC you're probably right

The injury has permanently affected my running and walking gait too, I can tell by the wear on my shoes and I have to consciously think about putting the same amount of weight on each side when I walk or run. It's a bit of mindfuckery.

Knee brace hasn't done poo poo, actually it seems like whenever I wear it I usually tweak the knee again and can't walk right for a day or two. Probably I should have actually done something aside from resting it for 3 months and then going back to full speed again right away. But the lovely doctor (who got fired a month later) at the student health services wasn't treating it like a big deal so I didn't either.
PT is an option, albeit a very expensive one.

My experience with re-learning how to skate was that I had problems trusting my balance on certain edges and I just wasn't leaning enough for the edge to really engage as I was trying to re-learn. I found that as I was practicing my edges, if I focused on leaning over during my cross-overs, I usually caught the edges that I wanted and it was then a matter of redeveloping the muscle memory and regaining the confidence in my balance to do it without thinking. This is still very much a work in progress for me, but I found when I came back as an adult, I really only had one cross-over at all (forward CCW) and the rest were absolutely awful. After a few years of mostly games and some intermittent practice, I've got 2 out of 4 down solid, and the other 2 I can do well, provided I'm mentally prepared and thinking about it. That's just my experience.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

sellouts posted:

Why aren't you defenders putting through awesome passes instead of trying to dangle around people
BECAUSE YOU GODDAM FORWARDS CAN NEVER CATCH THEM.

I definitely do the dangle around thing every so often. I know it's probably a bad idea, but it's kind of difficult mentally sometimes when you make nice passes and they just bounce off sticks in the neutral zone and suddenly you're defending yet another rush. And also it happens constantly. Some games, you want your offensive contribution to be more than 1. breakout pass that isn't caught, 2. hold pucks in at blue line. So you force it. Let's end-to-end this bitch.

Is it the best move? Maybe not. But sometimes, you just get tired of spending all your effort winning pucks in the corner and sending them up the boards only to find that nobody in your color is there and now you have to hustle back to the front of the net again to try and physically move other players out of the crease.

Playing defense is a pretty thankless job and sometimes you just want a little bit of the glory.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

sellouts posted:

Really simple solution would be to get someone, anyone to cover you as you exit the zone. If people are in position to realistically receive a good pass this should involve minimal skating back to do this.

Plenty of glory to be had on d and I get wanting to rush it. Just get a center to cover.
Well, sure, you could trivialize the solution to many problems like that. Just get the wings to cover the point. Just get the forwards to come back for a breakout pass instead of standing around. Just get the forwards to occasionally make a pass back to the defense instead of constantly throwing blind passes at the crease. Just get the forwards to have a look/listen and realize they have lots of time before desperately throwing the puck up ice in a panic. Just get the forwards to backcheck hard. Just get everyone to stop staring at the puck.

Technically, all very simple solutions. Realistically? There are plenty of skaters at the highest levels of hockey who don't do those things consistently. Eighty percent of my forwards are there because they can't skate backwards. There's no way I'm going to get any of that behavior with any consistency, if at all. That's a total fantasy.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Yeah, I never really said I was making awesome plays all the time. I also didn't really ask for any advice regarding the problems with the obvious solutions.

I play on a team full of beginners. The fact that they don't do what I ask them to doesn't have anything to do with the way I treat them or their willingness to listen or put in effort. It has to do with the fact they are doing their best to stay on two skates and not really thinking about positioning or support. It's like asking a guy who's just learning how to swim to give you good support playing water polo. You can ask all you want as nice as you want, it just isn't going to happen.

I have no idea why you assumed I had a poor relationship or that I disrespected my teammates. I like my teammates, but they're inexperienced and I don't pretend like they don't make a ton of mistakes that I spend a lot of effort trying to cover for.

sellouts posted:

Without an understanding that someone is going to cover the D, it's not a very fun game.
1. That's not what he said.
2. It is kind of hilarious that your enjoyment playing a hockey game depends critically on forwards covering defensemen.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

sellouts posted:

Goalie got 3 game suspension (rest of regular season) and will likely cause his team to miss playoffs. I think another player got something similar.

Apparently it's for using a slur against the official which good, I'm glad to hear they called that. I guess another guy cornered the official and wouldn't let him leave the ice by blocking the door?

The whole situation is really stupid and pathetic. That official isn't the best but drat, way to ruin it for the rest of your team and the team you were playing against.

I kind of wish that the league did a bond system and X number of penalties or a forfeit caused them to take money from the team bond. I would hope it would further encourage everyone to knock this poo poo out.
I'm with you on everything else, but a 3 game suspension for calling somebody fat seems excessive.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

EvilTwig posted:

Last night I came to the realization that I have hands of stone. Discuss.

Technique-wise, remember to release your death grip on the stick. The stick should slide/rotate through your lower hand. Your top should to all the work. Second technique tip would be to remember to roll your wrists when you stick handle and cup the puck on the forehand and the backhand.

EDIT: ALSO, props for nutty buddy. I've never had more than mild discomfort and I've taken a few high-level slapshots right in the nuts.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 9, 2014

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

xzzy posted:

Easton EQ30's suck back there. Guess what I fractured in pretty much the way you just described? :v:

(though in my case I was practicing transitions)
Your knee?

That EQ line was supposed to be quite protective and my experience with the EQ50 pants has been consistent with that. I've taken the fall described more times than I care to remember, and I usually barely even feel it. I'm surprised the EQ30's did that poorly.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Hockey was always kind of an expensive sport, but it seems like it's getting more and more expensive year-by-year. You can't walk through a hockey store without finding a $200 pair of gloves, or a $300 helmet or $900 skates. And the fact that lots of people seem willing to pay those amounts brings up the prices on the lower-end stuff.

I got a pair of Vapor X:40 gloves about a year or two ago. That glove is now the Vapor x7.0. It is still the exact same glove, spec-for-spec. It retails for $130, which is $30 more. The exact same glove, 30% price increase. I find that to be totally crazy. I mean, this bubble has to pop some time, right? The market can't sustain this, can it?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

xzzy posted:

Prices always go up, just because and don't ask questions. The price hike does seem a bit steep but they also seem to be putting more into the construction.. even the cheapest gloves at the local hockey store blow my current mitts out of the water.

I mean, I understand there will always be a baseline level of inflation. But...these are literally the same gloves. The aesthetics might be different, but they are otherwise the same in every other respect. It would be like if next year's Madden was literally just a roster update and suddenly cost $15 more.

sellouts posted:

...Now top of the line is like 199.

The new Re-Akt 100 is going to be $270.

I wonder at what point the joke about the spoiled kid wanting the pony becomes the spoiled kid wanting a pair of skates.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

bewbies posted:

I remember the top of the line gloves when I first started looking at hockey gear (maybe...1992?) were 129.99 (they were Easton Air and I wanted them). All the other non-skate stuff has stayed about the same since then, so adjusting for inflation it is quite a bit cheaper than it used to be.

Sticks and skates have gotten more expensive, but I really don't think other stuff has.
And helmets.

I haven't been playing since 1992. 2008 for me, so I don't know what it was like before then, but since then, there seems to be a consistent $10-20 increase, at minimum, in every generation for most protective stuff. The Vapor XXXX shoulders were ~$110, the X:60's ~$130 and the APX ~$140. The X:60 gloves retailed ~$150 and the APX gloves are $190.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Hockles posted:

Did anyone else get a "private 25% off Clearance items" coupon code from HockeyMonkey?

If not, anyone want one?
No, I did not. And yes, I do.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

I saw a few races. I didn't think it was super interesting. Also, going downhill makes sense if you're skiing or snowboarding, but I'm not sure why you'd ice skate downhill.

Also, I think I'd like it more if there were more agility elements, instead of just forward strides and jumps.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Verman posted:

If you're feel good try doing some exercise to see if it kicks any issues up

This is good advice. You have to gradually get back into things, especially sports and physical activity. Concussion #2 can kill you if you haven't fully recovered from #1. So...careful. You should discuss with your doctor a plan for gradually re-introducing exercise/hockey back into your life.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 9, 2014

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

xryokus posted:

Thanks guys, you have given me some things to consider.

Good to know helmets don't stop concussions (not going to stop me anyway). Also good to know they will stop a skull fracture as I'm not keen on either.
I don't think we know that helmets don't stop concussions. All we know is there isn't evidence that it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

CMvan46 posted:

Snapshots are the most difficult shot to learn properly and almost aren't worth the hassle honestly...

The release is so much quicker and trickier than a wrist shot. You can use it anywhere you'd use a wrist shot and it's faster with a quicker release and harder for the goalie to pick up. In net, I've never faced a wrist shot or slap shot that hit twine before I even moved. There's a good reason why forwards at the pro level lean on it so much.