Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I bought twelve of these to use outside for shooting and stickhandling practice. They're seriously awesome.

I sometimes will set eleven of them (plus the 3 light street/roller pucks I have) up in a line or staggered across from each other and weave through them or do tight circles around them with the remaining one (with inline skates on).

This is my practice surface... ;)

and..

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

B-b-b-but... he's cute! You can't say no to this face :3:
*TERRIER*

Oh I sure can. I am immune to these sorts of things - comes with the territory.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
If everyone shows up 6 defense is probably too many. But if you're reasonably sure you will normally only have 4 at a time, however you can manage to do that, it's probably okay to roster 6.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

If you play with D who understand what a 45-60 second shift feels like instinctively it's really not that bad. If they are whiners about ice time or like to stay out there for 2-3 min at a time, you 4D is probably better.

It's beer league. The defense will all stay out for 2-3 minutes.

We got our forward lines changing every 45-60 seconds, but not the defense, ever.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

I would recommend a few "swing players" and can play both positions well so if you're short they can cover O or D.

This is me. :v: I'm actually a natural D but I can turn on the "forward" switch enough to be a good defensive forward.

Though it is hard when there's an injury in game and I have to switch within the same game...

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

nahanahs posted:

General opinion question:
A guy is skating out of his zone with the puck. Around the red line, someone from the other team steps into him with a cross check, kind of backetball-post-up-I-was-here-first style, and cleans the first dude out.
Was this a dick move by Guy2 or a normal hockey play?

An actual cross-check is not permitted even in a checking situation and should be penalized. Cross-checking is when a player has both hands on the stick and uses the shaft of the stick to lead into the player he's checking.

In a checking league, as long as it is a legal body check it is perfectly normal to use the body to separate an opposing player from the puck. Whether it's excessive force or not is up to the ref's judgement - things like charging or boarding can be called in certain circumstances.

In a non-checking league, contact is allowed but the way I'm reading your post it is not incidental contact and is more like checking and thus would be a penalty for a body check. And yes, it's dirty because players in a non-checking league cannot reasonably be expected to anticipate and be able to properly "absorb" a body check. In many lower leagues, odds are that the player has never even been taught how to check at all.

You can always tell when adult players have never played in a checking league because they skate with their heads down a lot more. That'll get ya killed in checking hockey. ;)

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 23, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
As a follow-up and separate point to the last post, I am on my way to level 1 USA Hockey officiating certification. I passed the open-book portion of the examination a couple weeks ago and will be attending a seminar/clinic this upcoming weekend to complete the closed-book and on-ice portions of the exam.

That's Dr. Zebra to you thx.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

Enjoy mite parents, they are worse than the worst beer league bench you've ever seen.

I've coached peewees before, and played through from mite to midget, so I know quite well. It'll be fun. :cool:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

I actually would like to get into coaching, how did you do it? The leagues I played bantam and midget in are about 1200 miles away so I don't know anyone involved in youth hockey out here and their websites are less than helpful.

Also, Rob Blake is an assistant mite coach out here so I'm thinking they're probably full of volunteers.

When I was in my early 20's I had to move back to my home region in western PA for a couple of years, and some of the people that I knew through playing youth hockey were involved in different programs in the area, so I just kinda went in and said hey guys I wanna help and they said sure. The first year I was just an assistant for house league and yeah they do a background check and stuff to make sure you aren't just getting involved with kids because you're a creeper :pedo: Then I went through the USA Hockey coaching program the following season and had my own team for a couple of years in travel. Then I moved away for my second bachelors and didn't get try to back into coaching again.

It was really fun and I enjoyed it. The house league team I coached was actually a combination Peewee/Bantam and I was a 20 year old girl so I totally got asked to homecoming by one of the players (did not go). I ended up hooking the dude up with my (5 years younger than me) sister though!

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 24, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

If you guys remember me posting about this crazy dude on my team who would send 5+ paragraph emails about how to run the team. He quit the team because he didnt get to go out on the power play the last 2 min of our playoff game.

lol I was wondering if you still had that craybird on your team.

Officiating seminar was kinda boring. A lot of stripes skating around on the ice too!

Also the ref gear is expensive as hell, even just the striped jersey and pants. And the whistles they recommend are $11.00 or $14.00!!

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 30, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Dangerllama posted:

Is this ice? How often are you playing? I still have a pair of knit socks I picked up four or five years ago.

Are you playing on a crochet needle surface?

I tear up knit socks too, to be honest.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

JollyPubJerk posted:

They must fall a lot.

I don't fall on my own a lot, but I do go down on a knee/shin to block shots/centering passes frequently and fight in front of the net a lot where people's sticks get tied up with my legs. That's how all my socks get torn.

Oh yeah, if we have a mini hockeymeet in Oakland or near it I am definitely down for coming out to play (if you don't mind the lack of a Y chromosome anyway).

edit: contributing to the handedness thing - I write right the majority of the time (though my left hand will do in a pinch), switch hit in baseball/softball, throw right, bowl left, but do anything requiring two hands and a stick left-handed (sweep, shovel, play hockey, play pool, etc). I also draw blood and place IV catheters with my left hand (I'm a veterinary student).

I started playing hockey long before I started softball or any of those other activities, for what it's worth.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 1, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

Buffalo has to be the only city the country where moving to Davis is an upgrade.

Oh it's not that bad in Davis. At least, it's better than anything else in Yolo county.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Habibi posted:

Also: Ikeda's makes some loving amazing salsa.

And pies.

(here we go Steelers :cool:)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I'm playing inline hockey at an indoor rink for the first time in my life on Sunday. I have played ice hockey since I was 4, and am reasonably comfortable skating, puckhandling, shooting, etc at the outdoor rink near me on inline skates. I've never even seen an inline practice or game.

What should I expect? If I am going to make it a weekly thing (practice/scrimmage with a bunch of friends of mine who do both roller & ice) I should buy some gear, right? What's absolutely imperative to have? Anyone have any tips on translation of ice skills to roller? :gonk:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Green Submarine posted:

If your shot goes high enough to hit someone in the face, you're also less likely to generate a scoring opportunity. The whole rational behind a slapper from the point is to generate a redirection or rebound chance, for which the shot should be less than a foot above the ice, and preferably on it.

Half the time in beer league when somebody loads up the back-scratcher he'll miss the net and give the other team an easy breakout because the puck will wrap around the boards and clear the zone.

So don't take high slap shots from the point. It makes you both an rear end in a top hat and a bad hockey player.

Yeah, I don't really get the high slapshots from the point thing either. I see people do it all the time and all I think is that they probably just learned how to raise a slapshot and feel the need to show that off.

Below the knees man, that's how the puck is going to go in the net....

I'm buying a visor for reffing. I'll probably wear it during women's hockey and in roller too. v:shobon:v

Definitely a cage for beer league though. Those dudes have no control over their sticks or the puck and I am at the perfect height (short) for some big dumb idiot who can't keep his stick down on the ice while he's skating to nail in the face with it.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 16, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Dangerllama posted:

Are you should be playing hockey if you're due in October?

My sarcasm detector is really broken cause I can't tell if you are serious or not.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
It's probably good that I missed the discussion about the shin guards and sizes cause I'm a major outlier at 60 inches tall and wearing children's Warrior pads.

I did used to wear them inside the tongue but have switched since becoming an adult, but I think it is because I realized that shinguards were always too big for me and wearing them inside the tongue meant they interfered with the pants, which are invariably too long. You guys have no idea...

On another note, I've actually been kinda having fun playing roller. I think it is helping my hands a lot - I am a defensive minded quick player with good hockey sense who has always had a bit of a bricks-for-hands problem since I was little. Hopefully roller hasn't beaten the defensive and hockey sense parts of that out of me while improving the hands part. ;)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sba posted:

Mine plays.

Even better.

Yeah, been playing longer and play more often too. :smug:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

I took my first real hit tonight, and I am never going to play contact hockey, ever.

It was less of a "hit" and more of a "full speed collision between two newbies who couldn't stop in time", so the other guy went ahead and put his shoulder into it and laid me out.

Yeah it's quite different if you are in a checking league where people have actually been taught how to check and have been doing it for awhile.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

We used to have a guy in my league who would pretty much do the same thing, except he was an awful hockey player. I say used to have, because I haven't seen him at the rink in 1.5 years or so. Pretty sure he got banned for life, or finally re-evaluated his choice of hobbies.

He's banned from the league.

Personally (I play RW), if I ever see anyone hanging out wide open in my slot, I will always skate in and either give him a stick lift (even if he doesn't have the puck) or put a shoulder into him to throw him off-balance. I'd much rather eliminate a potential shot from the slot then hang back and cover the point if my D-men are out of position. Especially in my league, where pretty much only the ringers can take proper slappers from the point.

You're taking yourself out of the breakout this way too. It's not really a good idea or a good habit to get into unless your center is good enough to adjust and cover where you left.

If I'm wing, I'll sometimes drift into the high slot if I see the center lost whatever player is there or I see they're running a cycle where a D is pinching, but as a center I get pretty peeved when my wings are below the hash marks without good reason.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 18, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

Having really small feet owns sometimes. I think with a bake the few tight spots will work their way out and they'll fit perfect These are light as hell, I can't wait to skate on em.

Except when they're small enough that you have to buy children's sizes of skates which are not exactly noted for their durability and in which many manufacturers don't even bother to produce high end skates. :(

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Dangerllama posted:

In this pic from tonight, Joakim Lindstrom of the Avs (#28, lower left) is the weak-side winger who's collapsed down to the top of the slot. He's now in position to help prevent anything coming from low to high, and also help cover the slot in case the puck moves over to #96 and the Center in the middle (#37, Ryan O'Reilly) has to move quickly to cover. And, of course, he can move to cover the point if the puck somehow gets shot around the boards. Great positioning here.

High slot is fine, as long as the player understands that the point is still his responsibility and can still get there to cover it. This is the failing that many beer league players fall into. I just don't think that in normal circumstances (i.e. not a situation where the winger was 1F back on a backcheck and basically ends up taking over the center's defensive responsibilities for the time being), a winger should be below the hash marks.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Only one data point, but I use an Intermediate 67 flex TotalOne and the shaft lasted 9 months before it snapped. It was 99.999% wristers during games. I do practice slappers during stick time though, but only because it was pathetic.

Better drop the stick quickly if you break it this Sunday during your game - I'll call you for an equipment violation if not! (just got assigned to ref your game haha)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Sumixam posted:

Players should be required to pass a test and get a hockey license before being allowed to play in competitive leagues. I'm always amazed by how many people spend money to play hockey in beer leagues but absolutely refuse to even attempt to learn the most basic skills of the game. Hockey really suffers when people ignore the basics and refuse to learn.

The most truthful of truths. Living out here in northern California I can definitely tell who started here and has never been on a competitive coached team (hint it's most people). And our rink even has a "Learn to Play" program for adults that I assume teaches fundamentals.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

If it's anything like my adult learn to play, it's more like herding cows. They do demonstrate the fundamentals and set up drills to exercise them, but there is absolutely no 1 on 1 instruction going on. If you start with bad technique, you're probably going to end with bad technique.

It's entirely up to the student to figure the details out.. which why I try to ask so many questions here.

I see. Things like this are useful to know - my women's team is running an all women's skills clinic and our coach/instructor is doing a pretty good job with emphasizing technique over speed in things like skating and shooting, even without real ONE ON ONE instruction for everyone.

It's not players like you guys who ask questions here and actually try to drill down on the fundamentals that are the problem anyway. ;)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Reffing is hard work, you guys. Even low level beer league games. My legs were soooo stiff when I woke up Monday morning after an hour and a half of inline practice and reffing two games all on Sunday!

Also I'm old.

edit: And I have no issues with playing 2-3 games in a day or 5 games in a weekend in a tournament, either. Reffing is just so much more skating!

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 12, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
lol dudes on your team were butthurt and yelling about us not calling anything when the net came off a couple of times (when yall were winning 4-1)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Oh we stopped play when it came off, but they I think were trying to say that the goalie was intentionally knocking it off. Which is funny because it was the 2nd period so it was your goalie's original starting net so if it wasn't in good well...

My new puppy gets here this weekend and I have ice and roller practice so I'm taking the weekend off of officiating, and next weekend I'm doing two youth games on Sunday. They don't schedule us out much farther than that, haha.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Tank44 posted:

We do the same too... One query for the group, what do you do in PK situations?
A> Play the best people in a PK unit
B> keep rotation where you continue to rotate players so nobody misses a shift (keeping 2 D & 2 F on at all times)
C> keep rotation by position so if a D get a penalty, you play 3 F & 1 D or if C gets the penalty, you play 2 W & 2D

Depends on our numbers and the situation. In a scrimmage/exhibition/beer league game where we're running 9 F and 4 D and a D gets a penalty we drop a defensive forward back to D until the penalty is up. If there's an imbalance somewhere (like we're running 2 C and 3 sets of W) we'll send out wing pairs if a D gets a penalty to rest the centers a bit. Basically just play with the numbers so the freshest players are out there without loving up the rotation too much.

In tournament games we have set PP and PK units. I will happily hand over my ice time for players who actually score non-garbage goals on PP but am a PK machine. ;)

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 17, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

On a side note to SJ goons, I think we're going to enter the California State Championship tournament in San Jose in April. This will be our first tournament as a team. Looking forward to it, even if we get crushed!

Pandora will probably play in the women's division there. But yeah, they don't really enforce skill levels very accurately so prepare to get owned. To be honest it sounds like some dudes on your team need that. ;)

edit: also as a heads-up, if you're going to enter CAHA your team needs to register individually with USA Hockey - Skatetown league is ISI-affiliated so you aren't currently registered.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 21, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

No one does what you say in beer league, which is the most frustrating part for anyone who's played under a legitimate coach before and had to skate laps at 5am for not listening.

Yep, everyone thinks they know better cause they saw it on TV or whatnot.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Welp, my team is currently imploding over email after the whole PK line topic was brought up. Fun!
:sigh:

90% sure I'm leaving the team and moving up a league next season anyway.

Silver B is poo poo skip it.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

gigabitnokie posted:

Sacramento area goons, beware.

Welcome. :)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

tldr: Man, those BRONZE LEAGUE REFS ARE TERRIBLE

so are the bronze league players

:smug:

edit: oh yeah that reminds me the last time I reffed one of your team's games I kept meaning to say this to them but they were being all hella serious and I thought they'd be butthurt that a girl was telling them how to play but uhh, when you have the long change your dudes should really make an attempt to change onsides cause it's a pain to have to watch your bench so closely in the second period and maybe that's why refs are missing calls. ;)

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 5, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Dangerllama posted:

I've seen a couple of refs lament players changing off-sides, but I don't understand why. Nowhere that I can find in USA Hockey rules does it say players can't enter the ice in the attacking zone. Obviously, they may be off-side, but as long as they tag up, it's a non-issue. N'est pas?

Is this just a preference?

It's not a rule per se, it's just kind of something to think about.

As far as I go, it's because as a ref, to call an offsides or not, I need to hold and watch the blue line. It's really difficult to watch a dude coming out of the door in the offensive zone to make sure he tags up at the same time I'm trying to watch the line to see if someone's bringing the puck across if I'm on the same side as the bench. It's a field of vision thing - forcing myself to be able to see both of those things will limit how much of the rest of the play I can see and perhaps I will miss something in the neutral zone.... ;)

Plus as a forward, IMO you want to be getting on the ice as your team is taking it into your zone, so being offsides when someone's trying to bring the puck down will stop their momentum in some way shape or form..

If the puck is already in your zone go wild, but when it isn't it really seems like the best bet is going to be coming over the boards in the neutral zone.

xzzy posted:

See, I never would have thought you could get called for a hook at ice level. Always figured it had to be at their knees or higher, which is how it usually goes in the NHL.

Stick lifts still make me nervous because I don't want to stab someone in the face, but I'll try to remember it and give it an effort.

Actually the official USA Hockey rulebook (in the casebook - standard of play section, pages 351-352) has a couple of expanded examples of stick checking that are allowed or not allowed - you are correct, the angle of the blade does not matter down at the ice as long as "the intended purpose is to dislodge the puck or prevent the opponent from playing the puck."

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 6, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Look Around You posted:

I'm in Penn Hills so technically Bladerunners in Harmarville, but I usually go out to one of the rinks in the South Hills for pick up and stick time since it takes like 30-45 minutes to get there and there's way more people.

I played at Harmarville Bladerunners for a couple of years growing up. If they kept our PAHL championship banners up, my name is probably on the wall there a couple of times. :)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I got a mirrored visor, yellow laces, a purple helmet and bright pink gloves. And I tuck in my jersey on one side (but this is because my arm gets caught in it if I don't).

Sup? :smug:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 12, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^^yeah those are absolutely atrocious

Gio posted:

If serious, you are most definitely "that guy". girl"

I don't wear the visor in the co-ed league, only in the women's league, practices and roller. Definitely have a cage for the co-ed league because them dudes ain't controllin their sticks real well and I'm pretty short so it is barely even a high stick to hit me in the face. But serious on the rest of it. I like colors =/

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 12, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Gio posted:

I think on their own they might be fine, but the combination of all of them really makes it a bit overboard. :colbert:

You're probably right. The pink laces looked way better. But they weren't waxed and I like them waxed. :downs:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
And for posterity what occurred immediately after that moment.

Only registered members can see post attachments!