Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Sexy Randal posted:

Is blocking shots frowned up in rec hockey?

Blocking shots is good. But there are right and wrong ways to do it.

Diving to block a shot (i.e. sliding and stacking your legs) in beer league is moronic. At the very least you run the risk of putting yourself far out of position, while the defenseman just walks around you. At worst, you're going to take a puck to the face since this is, after all, beer league.

It's just kind a stupid play done by people who think giving up the body for their Sunday Night Team is Manly(tm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I slide to block shots occasionally. Usually if I'm a half-step behind, know he's got a clear shot to the net, and is pulling the puck back for a shot. Players in my league don't really have the skill level to recognize a block and walk around it. They just want to get a shot off. Plus you can see their shots coming a mile away since we can't do that mid-stride shot jazz.

I don't see anything dumb about it. 1 hand over the junk and it's all good.
Half the time I end up in the corner, but since it's Bronze league they usually miss their shot wide anyway :v:

If it's a point shot, I just put my legs together, face the shooter and put a hand over the goods and it usually deflects off my shin pads. That way I'm not screening my goalie too bad and letting a shot surprise him through my legs.

e: VVV Well yeah, totally agree. I was specifically talking about my scrub league where 90% of people can't do slappers anyway including myself.

Sorry, I'm probably being a bit too harsh calling it moronic. I suppose there are very specific instances where sliding to block a shot is acceptable, but 99% of the time, the guys I see going to the ice to block a shot from the point are making a bad hockey decision.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

Do you guys not have the "if a guy makes an effort to block your shot you don't take it" unwritten rule? That's always been around in my beer leagues.

At a drop-in I'll go around, or try to change the angle. I won't shoot directly on a guy who's in a lane. Plus, no one really takes slap-shots at drop-in (no one dives either though so...). If it's in a league game, I'll take the shot if I have it.

Of course, it's also a bad hockey decision to try to shoot through a shot that's clearly going to be blocked. I can't count how many times I've seen the puck pop back out to the neutral zone to be picked up on a breakaway by the winger who just blocked the shot.

real_scud posted:

Cause sometimes it's better as a goalie to not have your player sliding on the ice because they can block your view if the other guy doesn't actually shoot. And if he does shoot he can sometimes lead to some wacky deflections that become near impossible to account for.

That's exactly what happened in my game last night. I'm pretty sure the goalie was pissed at his winger for this very reason.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 16, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

Have them watch Blackhawks games. :colbert:

Eddie constantly bitches about players not having their sticks down, it's basically coach lite, all the lessons, none of the sweat.

"...now stop it right here!"

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Fingers McGee posted:

a dude that played in the chl last year

Did he try to fight you?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Heh. I was only half joking. But that's odd, most guys I know that played at a high level (Division I and better) are usually super laid back at drop-in. They're just there because they love the game.

The ex-captain of a local CHL team occasionally comes to drop-in (he coaches Junior and all his kids skate there over the summer). He's basically the nicest and most awesome guy I've ever played with. Got better hands than half the guys in the NHL too.

Whenever I take the puck off of him (about once or twice a game, when he's already got two guys on him), I just look at him all :smug:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Keep in mind this: pro stock isn't made for durability, but rather performance. This is very much the true for sticks and gloves.

Case in point: pro gloves are made with nylon now because it's lighter weight and not as "grabby" as wet leather. High end adult gloves, on the other hand, are made with leather because of its durability. I swear by leather. A lot of high end sticks are also substantially less durable than their mid-tier counterparts. If you're being paid to play, it doesn't matter if that stick lasts you 3 games or 3 months.

Those of us who aren't sponsored by Warrior, on the other hand, probably want slightly more durable gear. I find the sweet spot for both sticks and gloves is right around the $100 mark. Any more and you sacrifice durability for performance (particularly for gains that probably aren't realized in B/C league). Any less and you're getting lower quality gear.

That said, none of this applies to protective gear or skates. There, you really do get what you pay for.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 21, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Evil Mother Teresa posted:

I just switched to pair of Nylon gloves. Or Tufftek-- whatever they call it now. I don't plan on going back to leather any time soon. I've yet to get a tear on them, but they've gone through about a year of at least two skates per week and they're holding up fine. More importantly, (as you mentioned) they don't retain as much water and sweat. I've heard the Nylon being touted as more breathable than the leather, though that could be attributed to better overall venting on the gloves. Broke in pretty fast, too.

Gotta disagree with you on high end sticks being less durable. I grabbed a Warrior Chronic (on closeout, again) and have put it through 7 or 8 months of abuse. I play D, so it's been hit by pucks, slashed, stepped on, repeatedly slammed into the ice and torqued heavily on slapshots, etc. Beyond a few deep nicks in the blade (which admittedly do worry me a bit, but they're clearly from skates), it's holding up fine. Blade hasn't gone soft, no cracks in the shaft. Hell, the paint hasn't even begun to chip off. Compare this to the two mid-level Bauers I rotated for a season that looked like they'd gone through hell (which includes deep gouges where the blade meets that shaft that looked more like stress fractures than skate damage), or the guys on my team that bought mid-level Warriors and are ready to trash them after 4 months of play.

As far as I'm concerned, last year's high end gear on closeout is totally the way to go.

Heh. I use a Kronik too. When I think super high end, I think more in the $200 range. But I may just have skewed preference curve.

Sounds like we can at least agree that Warrior sticks are the tits!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

We lost what may or may not have been the championship tonight thanks to a complete lack of effort on the part of everyone on the team. What makes it so lovely is that we'd won 6 of our last 7 thanks to our "coach", who wasn't there.

Beer league...

:negative:

Oh, and I tried suspenders for the first time tonight at the advice of runoverbobby. It was quite a nice feeling not to have to cinch my waist up like a freakin' corset. Now I just need hockey pants that are't a size too small.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Forwards - 30 to 45 seconds.
Defense - 45 seconds to a minute.

The most egregious violator of this rule is, of course, the guy I change for.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Today I learned that goalies hate it when you whack 'em after they've caught the puck.

Ok, I didn't really learn it today, but the guy was so butthurt he wouldn't shake my hand after the game.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

real_scud posted:

How hard did you whack him and how late was it?

Just a little whack to try to free the puck, and it was about a half-second - if that - after he caught the puck. He seemed like he didn't have a really great grasp on it, so I gave him a little tappy-tap. This was all before the whistle.

He screamed "what the gently caress!" and I, of course, immediately skated to the box.

I play whistle to whistle. :chord:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

gigabitnokie posted:

As a goalie I must point out that you intentionally slashed someone and feel you did nothing wrong :stare:

As a skater I say keep doing it :smug:

Oh, it was definitely a penalty. I'm just kind of :psyduck: at how butthurt he got over it.

I slash you, next time I'm in the crease, you cup-check me. That's hockey.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Order two sizes. Return one. That's what I did.

SIzing is pretty true to what's listed, though. The chart will usually specify something like, "If you're X height and have Y waist, get size Z"

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I came in here to say the exact same thing bewbies said. Most of the skates on überclearance will be no return/no exchange. I would highly recommend staying away from buying an unknown pair of skates online, even if you're kinda-sorta-maybe sure they're the same things you tried on at the local shop down the way.

I would recommend buying your first pair at a local shop.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

WouldDesk posted:

Somebody take him up on this, playing with Scott Gomez is a cool thought.

I LOL'd

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So...our team gets a second crack at the championship since playoffs are double-elimination and we only lost our last game. :dance: Game two is...

this Sunday?!? So of course I'm going to miss my first game of the season. Seriously. Who the gently caress schedules a championship hockey game on loving Memorial Day weekend???

(Sorry, I just had to let this out somewhere)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Lawnie posted:

Ohh god here it is. Have a look-see and tell me how to improve everything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngX9Fye3ujs

Are you wanting to work more on your wrist shot or your snap shot? If you want to shoot off that left foot, you need to bend the knee more. That'll put the puck farther forward but help you load the stick with your weight, thus generating a more powerful shot.

get those legs bent, and put your weight down on that stick.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 28, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

Is there any chance it will replace the real thing and some point down the line?

My understanding is that the later is cheap and abundant north of the Mason-Dixon line in the Winter months.

--

So my team won the championship on Sunday. I was the only one who wasn't there due to a BBQ commitment. There's a pic of my sub looking all :smug:

e: Also, completely unrelated but since the cup is on right now...it makes me sad as hell that they're all "Watch game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals to see some feel-good story about this kid who gets to hang out with the Stanley Cup for a day." How about "Watch game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals to find out who wins game 2 of the damned Stanley Cup finals."

:smith:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 2, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Haters gonna hate. That video is already much better than your first one.

Next up: Focus on loading that stick -> start with the puck farther back. Shooting from mid-stance is going to dramatically curtail your power.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Lawnie posted:

More videos

Not to add too much more, as coldwind is giving you solid advice, but...

Look at your target when shooting. Instead of looking at the puck, try to feel it on your stick. Not looking at the puck when you shoot feels weird at first, but you will be substantially more accurate if you look where you're shooting. The secondary benefit of looking at the target is that it helps load your core (your body naturally wants to turn where you're looking).

Good luck, man. It's amazing to see your progress in such a short amount of time. Now I know why all NHL players had old nets or beat-up clothes dryers in their basements.

e: Oh yeah, one other non-shooting note to help with your weight transfer. When you're practicing stick-handling, always shift your weight with the puck. Puck moves to the right, your weight shifts to your right leg. Puck moves to the left, your weight shifts to your left leg. This weight transfer helps with every aspect of the game - stickhandling, shooting, skating with the puck.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 4, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

I found the rule the guy was referencing - it is under the keep the puck in motion rule as previously figured. The wording is really loose though and I do think the ref was either interpreting or explaining it incorrectly. The rule itself states that a player who has advanced past the defensive zone may not, with the intent of delaying the game, skate or pass the puck back into the defensive zone unless shorthanded. I would assume that if a player is being pressured by a forechecker all the way in that it would be difficult to prove intent to delay the game...

Is this USA Hockey? We have a couple of guys in Lunch League who do this all the time. I would *love* for them to take two minutes for their efforts.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

WouldDesk posted:

This. Also if anyone has not played a game with a rolling clock when only 7 people show up (including goaltender, who was not a goaltender) you do not know exhaustion. And 3 minute intermission breaks. I am convinced the league director wanted some kid to pass out so he could call them out for being weak.

Iron-man hockey, brosef. I've had more than a few games where only five guys show up. We played a dump-and-mosey offensive system. Good times.

e: Oh, so you technically had 6 on the bench? I presume you just played it drop-in style?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 7, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Minister Robathan posted:

He, like me, probably has external pockets specifically for the skates. Like on this bag:

Note: If you're gonna get a bag with outside pockets, DO NOT get one like this, get one with the pockets set up so that you can put BOTH skates upside down so that your skates don't wear through the pocket incredibly quickly.

I have the RBK 5k Bag and really like it (dunno if I have the 36" or 40" though...). Carries my skates on either side and roomy enough for all the rest of my poo poo. Always put my skates in with soakers (and rub 'em off with a towel after every skate) so I've never had a problem with wear-through. Had this bag forever and a day.

Although there are upsides to getting a wheeled bag, like you could have your husband wheel it in for you.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 10, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

real_scud posted:

Wanted to give a heads up that HockeyGiant has the Pro 4-Roll's on sale for $80 which is a goddamned steal for an awesome glove.

Dammit. If only I had the money to replace my current 4-rolls with warn-out palms. God bless these gloves.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

D C posted:

I was screening the net today (roller hockey) and the idiot on my team with the puck winds up a full slap shot from the top of the circles and nails me square in the chest.

Thats not how you score on a screened goalie :gonk:

Why the do guys always try to send pucks top shelf from the point like they're damned Nicklas Lidstrom? I'll never understand that. One of the first things I learned playing D was to keep shots on (or near) the ice to generate rebounds.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

In the hundreds of beer league and pickup games I've played I've never seen anyone get hurt because of a lack of shoulder pads.

I severely bruised a rib (possibly cracked it) at drop-in due to my not wearing shoulder pads at the time. I was out for about a month.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I have a question: Is lace bite just a generic term for any time your laces are too tight, or is it something specific? About a month or so ago I swapped out to some wax laces and things went okay for a bit, but after about two weeks of skating with them I got a swollen spot on the front of my ankle, like an inflamed tendon or something. Since the only variable that changed was the laces, I swapped out the wax laces for my old ones, but now it happens every time I skate. I always put my shin guard on the outside of the skate tongue and I don't generally do the laces really tight around my ankle. Has anyone ever dealt with anything similar?

Yes, this is lace bite. And it can come from something very minor inflaming the tendon, which then requires a gently caress-ton (the technical term) of time to heal. I went through roughly the same thing as you about a year ago. I injured the tendon somehow, and from then on I couldn't lace up without pain in the top set of eyelets.

Here's the fix: Bunga Pads. I can't recommend these enough for helping lace bite.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Thanks for this. I'm definitely going to give these a shot. Did you do anything else for it when you were off the ice, like icing the tendon or anything? Or is it just a matter of letting the healing process do its thing?

Other than that, probably just ice it. Friction therapy (rubbing across the tendon) might help - this is what I do for my jacked up patellar tendon all the time - but I'd talk to a doctor or a PT before you go crazy on it.

D C posted:

Same size as the last 3 pairs of my top level Bauers, Supreme 8090, Vapor XXXX, and the TotalOnes are all 10EE, and the last pair is the only Bauer skate thats given me any sort of discomfort.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it has to do with not sacrificing enough sticks to the hockey gods or something. Seems like when skate problems crop up they come out of left field and last for damned ever. To get back in their good graces, you must do suicides for 15 minutes and then watch Slap Shot three times in a row while drinking Molson, Labatt, and Moosehead respectively.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 20, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What are you talking about? Hockey pants are core as hell.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Apparently the new season started up at my local rink and they neglected to put our team in the league (because they're a bunch of complete gently caress-ups). This is after we'd won the D1 championship last season!

And we just shelled out $70 per player on custom jerseys and socks for the upcoming season.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

If he seems like he doesn't belong in the league, then yeah, you can ask him to find a lower-level league to play in. If he's just the worst guy on the team, but otherwise is in the right league, then idunno...I guess it's your call.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

shyguy posted:

http://bit.ly/jMYx7d

Some shitheel "Flyers" fan is a little bit too :qq: over the trades that he's auctioning off his fanhood on eBay
This fucker will probably be the first person at the parade if we're to win a Cup again. Fucker.

That's so weird. I mean, Philly fans are world-famous for not being complete and utter asshats.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

I may have implied to my girlfriend that I'd go out with her tonight

Aaannnd...scene.

Gio posted:

My doctor ended up recommending this workout facility (that he goes to)--it's in a warehouse and looks like a training facility--that costs a decent amount of money ($125/month) for as many guided group workouts a week I want.

Is this a cross-fit place by chance?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 30, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

poser posted:

We have 4 sheets and I think they replace 2 every 1-2 years. The sheet they are working on is the one that the Sharks use and its the best ice in the place.

Today I learned the Zamboni was invented in California

:eng101:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Thufir posted:

I'm taking off work early next week to go to the Preds equipment sale. Hopefully new jerseys + lots of players leaving will mean tons of stuff for sale.

Will they be selling Shea Weber's beard?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ManicJason posted:

I'd follow him around away from the play and just lift his stick over and over, even if it's not on the ice.

This. Just lift the fuuuuuck out of his stick every time you're near him. If you can't lift it, at least touch it with the toe of your stick.

Bonus points if you can force him to high stick someone.

Be sure to casually say things like, "God drat are you terrible at hockey. Why didn't you score just then? I would have scored. God drat are you terrible at hockey. Are you this bad at every sport or just hockey?"

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Two hands on the stick, yo.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I presume your league has a rule that an ejection automatically gets you a one-game suspension, n'est pas?

Also, you should tell him to find another team. For ten reasons. They should all be obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Thufir posted:

Some dude tonight kept yapping about wanting to fight my teammate after the game. It was funny when he came up to him in the lobby to start poo poo and then realized my teammate's mom was standing right next to him. "Hey man...you should uh...you should watch your mouth out there."

Christ. Why do people take poo poo off the ice?

Once the buzzer sounds it's over.

e: I probably shouldn't admit to some of the poo poo I've said to guys on the ice. But it was all forgotten as soon as I hit the locker room.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 21, 2011