Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

67 flex for life. My wrister is so much heavier with it.

Makes an even louder noise when I ring it off the post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Played a team of nothing but ringers last night. Was awesome not getting a shot on goal til 5 mins left in the 2nd.

How is that even fun for them? :jerkbag:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 2, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

poser posted:

And pepsi logos for faceoff dots :whatup:

We have 4 curling targets on each side of the ice on one of our rinks, right near the faceoff circles. Confusing as gently caress :science:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I want a yellow pair of Warrior gloves from their customize tool, but I can't justify the cost. Would be incredible though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dang, I had no idea the wear on your stick tape could indicate the wrong blade lie. Both of my sticks have the P92 Backstrom and the heel of the blade tape is always the first part to wear down by far. Maybe this is why I have some passes rattle off my stick and not the whippy flex...

I've heard good things about the PM9 Stamkos/Malkin (I'm a forward). Looks like it's still open, but more of a mid-heel curve, and slightly less deep on the curve with a lie of 5 (instead of 6). Anyone love/hate this blade?

What model of Bauer blades do you guys usually pick up? I've been rolling with the X:20s since it's the cheapest composite.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 4, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

also we entered our women's team in one of the adult divisions in Roseville and we've actually won a few games. Weren't expecting it so it's nice. :)

Ohh, you're on that women's team from Vacaville aren't you? I've heard from guys in Silver B that your team is doing really well. I think you guys actually contacted our captain (Auburn Alehouse) for a scrimmage a while back.

you would have murdered us

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 4, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

I think our captain was asking teams in both Bronze & Silver B to scrimmage to kind of gauge where we should put ourselves back when we first came up with the idea. Silver B seems decent so far, I think! The spread of talent is just so wide in that league, I can't get over it!

I think the spread of talent is due to laziness on Derek's part. Bronze league is pretty absurd this year. It seems that every single team in Bronze has a couple Silver A/B ringers that just skate circles around us. We're literally the only team in the league without any ringers, all of us from the learn-to-play class a year ago. It's pretty frustrating. I don't care if we lose most of our games if they're at least somewhat competitive, but it just becomes not fun when you have 2 players playing SHOOTOUT CHALLENGE on your goalie because no one can keep up with them.

Then there's the team we played last Sunday that was literally ALL ringers. They're basically a bunch of sandbagging shitheads and are pissing everyone off in Bronze. They actually played with a Platinum player for a few games until the captains complained enough. Their excuse was that they didn't know he played Platinum. :jerkbag:

I heard a rumor that Sharks Ice were going to set up shop in Rancho Cordova. This would make me ecstatic.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 5, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Oh yeah, and the team you guys played last Sunday, HZ? If it makes you feel any better we dismantled them in a scrimmage and they got real butthurt about it.

That makes me feel a lot better, actually. We didn't get a registered shot on goal until halfway through the 2nd, and they were still whining like babies when we got physical at all with them.

It's pretty absurd when their whole team is dropping cannon slappers from the blue line. Yeah dudes, you're bronze league for sure. There's like 3 people on our team who can do a slapshot, even after playing for a year now :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

trilljester posted:

Sharks Ice gives the winning team a coupon for Buy 2, get 1 free pitchers. Sometimes we share with the opposing team if they were cool.

That owns. We go through about twice that after a game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

First hatty of the season during our first win of the season :toot:

Too bad the scorekeeper dicked up the score sheet. Only got credit for 2 of my 3. :argh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Second 2-game winning streak in team history :toot:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I slide to block shots occasionally. Usually if I'm a half-step behind, know he's got a clear shot to the net, and is pulling the puck back for a shot. Players in my league don't really have the skill level to recognize a block and walk around it. They just want to get a shot off. Plus you can see their shots coming a mile away since we can't do that mid-stride shot jazz.

I don't see anything dumb about it. 1 hand over the junk and it's all good.
Half the time I end up in the corner, but since it's Bronze league they usually miss their shot wide anyway :v:

If it's a point shot, I just put my legs together, face the shooter and put a hand over the goods and it usually deflects off my shin pads. That way I'm not screening my goalie too bad and letting a shot surprise him through my legs.

e: VVV Well yeah, totally agree. I was specifically talking about my scrub league where 90% of people can't do slappers anyway including myself.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 16, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

D C posted:

I dont go down to block shots in beer league, playoffs or not, I'd rather be in position to make a play after the shot. It's just not worth the possible pain.

On the other hand, if I'm shooting, I'm shooting, if a guy wants to throw his body infront of my shot then that's on him.

I had a guy dive head-first in front of one of my shots one time. The puck clanged right off his cage between the eyes and he was woozy for a few seconds. The shot came from the corner on the goal line too. It was pretty :psyduck:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

2-gaming winning streak over despite out-shooting them. :smith:

Hey Topoisomerase, guess which amazing hockey director isn't going to do anything about the team of all ringers?

From what our captain tells me, he may make all games against them exhibition games, but probably still allow them to play in the playoffs. Which doesn't solve the problem at all.

Dealing with him is accurately depicted by :effort:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

What good does that do anybody? :confused:

There's like absolutely no regulation on people playing in leagues far below where they should be. I've seen people with night/friend preferences play down and like, sit back on defense and just feed passes to the less skilled players on the team, which is okay IMO and I think one of the reasons the "rules" on classification started being relaxed, but there are definitely a growing number of people who go onto the Friday/Sunday leagues and just showboat the whole time. I mean wtf is the point? Cool toe drag against these dudes who just started skating last year, bro. You sure showed them, I'll bet there's a pro scout right there watchin ya. :rolleyes:

And the worst part is that if he doesn't "like" your team he will be pissy about it, whereas if he does he just blows it off.

Here's the extent of Derick's effort:
http://stats.rv.zev.net/display-schedule.php?team=84&season=19&tlev=0&tseq=0&league=1
Exhibition
Exhibition
Exhibition

Pretty funny, but still doesn't solve anything. We all still have to play these sandbagging shitheads. One of our guys went back and checked previous seasons' rosters, and 10 of them previously played in Silver.

Out of the previous 5 games the statkeeper recorded shots, their shot margins were:
+27
+22
+51
+28
+41
= +169 shot margin, in 5 games. Yup, Bronze team for sure. :rolleyes:

Ok, done whining.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Our team usually sticks to 60-90 second shifts. Any less than 60 and people start whining about being short-shifted. We've got a few guys that do 2-3 minute shifts and throw everything off, which is insanely annoying.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bewbies posted:

They also have a super deal going on right now with Eagle gloves, 30% off a ton of clearance stuff. I didn't find anything I wanted but there is some quality crap in there if you need gloves.

Nice sale on those Eagle gloves.

I'm still trying to find straight-up yellow gloves, but haven't had any luck in about 6 months of looking. It seems my only option is to do the custom Warrior thing, but I can't justify dropping $240 on gloves :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

poser posted:

How big are your hands?

http://cgi.ebay.com/EAGLE-X3-YOUTH-...b#ht_1018wt_905

I saw those last night. They're perfect, but sadly, I take a 13 or 14" :smith:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just got a Bauer PM9 Stamkos blade to replace my P92 Backstrom. I look forward to being able to lift a backhand again :v:

Most importantly, its a 5 lie and I was constantly wearing down my heel tape with the 6.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

shyguy posted:

Ya'll don't even know how excited I am that not only I found a pair of these, but that they're on the way to me.

I want these, but instead of tan, Boston Bruin yellow. This is agonizing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

coldwind posted:

Hey, Lawnie, now you're taking hints from TWO Red Wings fans. Suck it.

Make it 3. :cthulhu:

Thirding what the other Wings fans said. Start the puck out behind your rear foot and you'll get a lot more power off a wrister. Sometimes this is hard in a game if you have people chasing you down though. Pull it too far back and they can get you with an easy stick lift from behind, so there's definitely times when you want to shorten your stroke. But for learning purposes, pull it back pretty far. That video above with the Canadian guy shows this really well.

Once you get the mechanics of 'flicking' the puck from heel to toe, work on putting some weight down on the stick and flex the poo poo out of it.

If you're short like me, get a 67 flex intermediate stick to get even more zing :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think the most important thing to take away from all the advice is: LISTEN TO IRON MAIDEN

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

one of the refs for our game tonight tried to tell our team that it was a real rule in hockey that you aren't allowed to skate the puck back behind your own net from the blue line and that it always had to be moving "forward"

and he was dead serious too.

Skatetown. :allears:

I gotta say, that's pretty awesome. Never heard of a backcourt violation in hockey.

All the refs at Skatetown :allears: can be ranked here:
http://www.ihonc-ca.com/eval.cgi

We had some pretty comical calls last season so we kept that link handy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

3-0 shutout win against the top (non-sandbagging) team in the league :toot:

Goddamn that felt good, even if it was a late game and I'm dead at work this morning. Victory beers never tasted so good.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

poser posted:

Had a game at 10:30, went to bed past 2am.. been at work less than an hour and I have no idea how I'm going to make it.

Yep, ours was at 9:45. The win forced us to hit a local bar afterwards. I immediately took a shot of Nyquil when I got home and finally passed out at 2am. I'm an hour into work as well and chugging coffee to stay awake.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lawnie posted:

Alright FINE I will download some Iron Maiden and play it next time I'm practicing.

oddly enough I considered printing out a picture of my ex-girlfriend and putting it in the goal because that would just be funny

Wasted Years (for your ex :v:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwB9zg7Tbx8

The Trooper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADBo0s4CbvM

Aces High
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GghCs_C65v0

Run to the Hills
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M149WTrkNR8

The Number of the Beast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-iRf9AWoyE

You know, I was just going to link 1 or 2, but pretty much anything by them owns and didn't want to leave anything out.

I pretty much never pay attention to the music that plays during game stoppages, but I can always pick out the Iron Maiden, Metallica and :regd10:.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tarasenko Tank posted:

I'm getting in shape over the summer and going out for my school's club team. I played roller hockey for a couple years, I can ice skate decently (slowly) enough, and I've watched the game enough to be able to know what to do out on the ice.

My problem is that I need fitness, and I need equipment. Right now I'm around 5'10, 198, with most of that being fat. I plan on doing cardio mostly at the gym until I'm around 180 or 175, then I'll focus on weight training. I'm still growing, so I don't know how tall I'll be when I start playing. What should I focus on in the gym, after getting into decent shape?

The equipment will be tougher. Since I'm still in school and have to rely on my parents for everything, they won't pay for it unless I put that much of a commitment into getting back into shape and showing work ethic. I basically need starter equipment. In your opinions, what is the cheapest and best option for a beginner ice hockey player?

Just lift weights right away, with some cardio in between weight days. Clean up your diet and get some whey protein powder for a couple shakes a day. You'll get the newbie gains and be flexing your new broceps in no time.

Do squats too. I swear they make me skate faster.

Also, listen to Iron Maiden.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

When you're walking around with the skates on.

Can you guys not walk everywhere in your rink without skate guards? I can pre-game a beer then take a leak wearing mine.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

coldwind posted:

How do you keep them from clanking around in your bag?

I keep these on my skates at all times, unless they're on my feet:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-hockey-ac-blade-covers-08.html

e: Looks like those are only available in junior sizes, but there's other brands on HM if you go under Skates > Skate Accessories.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

real_scud posted:

Wanted to give a heads up that HockeyGiant has the Pro 4-Roll's on sale for $80 which is a goddamned steal for an awesome glove.

Oh god they have Black/Gold in 13"!!!!
Too bad it's actually gold instead of Boston Bruin yellow :( So so tempting despite this though...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

24-4

What douchey team actually scores 24 goals in a game? Are you kidding me?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

poser posted:

Going to the Sharks sale tomorrow going to load up on the prostock goodness:woop:

I was going to go, but I'm in Portland for work all week. I need new pants after tripping over the blue line last Saturday. My rear end still hurts :smith:

Good news is that we have a double-header on Saturday/Sunday. Can't wait to play 2 games.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I will never ever ever not wear a full cage. I value my teeth way too much.

That said, if you don't want to wear one, knock yourself out. You know the risks and are responsible enough to know the risk.

I can't lift my slapshot anyway, so don't worry about me firing a shot into your grill :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy poo poo, I think I may have found yellow-enough gloves!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eagle-X65i-Hockey-Gloves-NEW_W0QQitemZ220790423946QQcategoryZ20853QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem#vi-content

Need to find out how "gold" they are instead of bright yellow though. The Eagle website is pretty terrible.

e: VVV you're telling me. I've been looking for almost a year now. I'm bored in the PDX airport and figured I'd do my 2000th google search for yellow gloves and bang those showed up.

Last week there was a lady on the other team we played who had black and yellow gloves. After the game I asked her where she got them, and she said she bought them 15 years ago in a local shop that's now closed :smith:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 17, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:siren: Mission: Accomplished :siren:

eBay posted:

It's all yours, now you just need to pay.

I ended up sending the dude a picture of my jersey and asked if it would match (:gay:) and he said yes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Second hatty of the season today :toot:

We get to play the all-ringer team tomorrow too :toot:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have a round puck-shaped bruise on my rear end-cheek from blocking a shot on Saturday. I really think I need new pants...

Also, last night we kept the all-ringer team to 3 goals and 20 shots. It was the first time throughout the whole season their shot total has been that low. Their first goal was lame/wicked too. Cannon slapper from behind the blue line that was a top shelf laser. Sick scrub league shot bro :hf:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just remember that no matter how much you Febreeze your gear, air it out, soak it in Oxiclean in the bath tub, it will always smell like death next time you wear it.

I've given up on washing my stuff. It smells just as bad after the next game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Sooo, speaking of this team, they were in the B division of the tournament that was this past weekend at Skatetown. My team (the women's one) picked up a couple of dudes from drop-in that are well, pretty good, honestly, and absolutely throttled them something like 7-2. They complained and whined and bitched about one of our good players.

Now THAT is irony...

Haha awesome! For a bunch of bronze ringers, they sure bitch and moan a lot. #4 D-man McIlroy is the worst offender of them all. Ever since I started playing against him last season, he's always complained about any contact whatsoever. Irony being he's the one that ends up taking the majority of their penalties. I think he got sent to the box 3 times when we played them a couple weeks ago.

Also, one of the bronze teams beat them in a shootout a couple weeks ago. Apparently they were pretty pissed about that one too.

On a side note, got my third hatty of the season :toot: We even scored a short-hander during a 5 on 3.

Our team now has it's first winning record in team history :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How else am I supposed to feel good about myself?