Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’ve only had my skates done by a Sparx for probably 4 years or so. Works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Our rink has repeatedly threated anyone with a lifetime ban if they know you have a skate sharpener and offered your services to anyone besides your immediate family because it "hurts their bottom line." Absolutely hilarious.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

You skate at the most absurd rink in the world.. you really ought to collect stories and sell them or something.

Agreed, and I'd rather not get a lifetime ban thank you :)

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Guessing this same rink either never closed or closed for an extremely short time due to covid.

They shut leagues down for like 3 months, but still let people rent private ice on the downlow, which was basically every night from what I've heard.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 4, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Own goals are always hilarious.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Looking forward to Bauer's brand new kevlar neck guard shirt, available for only $199.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Slap shots are the dumbest play to make in low level beer league, anyone that can get velocity on it is gonna be way more useful with a writer and anyone that can't is about to turn the puck over.

Counterpoint: dropping a 1 in a 1000 clap bonb from the point and sending the goalies water bottle 20 feet in the air owns.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

Thank God it wasn't a hard shot, and I was wearing a cup. I've got a pretty nice bruise on my inner thigh. Thankfully the other swelling has gone down.

lol

Sorry that happened to you, but that's pretty funny. I've actually only had that happen to me once or twice in the 12-13 years I've been playing, but that poo poo will crumple you to the ground in a split second.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone tried Hoapa sticks? A dude on one of my teams turned me onto them and you can customize the poo poo out of most of their sticks. I got a 2-pack of these completely custom sticks for $170 shipped using a coupon code that unfortunately expired Jan 1.

You can even get custom wood sticks, haha.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone tried Hoapa sticks? A dude on one of my teams turned me onto them and you can customize the poo poo out of most of their sticks. I got a 2-pack of these completely custom sticks for $170 shipped using a coupon code that unfortunately expired Jan 1.

You can even get custom wood sticks, haha.

Well, it took about 5 business days (8 total) to make the sticks and 2 days to get from Taiwan to my doorstep in CA via FedEx with the $10 expedited shipping. I saw on Reddit how they break easily, so we’ll see. At $170 for 2, I can’t be too mad.

His and hers sticks. My stick is short (53”) and she prefers a longer one (54”). Such is life.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Well, it took about 5 business days (8 total) to make the sticks and 2 days to get from Taiwan to my doorstep in CA via FedEx with the $10 expedited shipping. I saw on Reddit how they break easily, so we’ll see. At $170 for 2, I can’t be too mad.

His and hers sticks. My stick is short (53”) and she prefers a longer one (54”). Such is life.

Used this last night and drat, it’s like the lightest stick I’ve ever used. Feels great, but it’s about 3/4” shorter than my previous stick. I might actually order another 2-pack just to mess around with a few things. Flex, blade, their sharkskin grip (because I hate standard grip) and whatnot.

It was in my upper division team, so I didn’t get many shooting chances (because I suck), so I’ll get a better barometer on it Friday when my actual skill level league is.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 12, 2024

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

This guy I played with a few weeks ago had some and liked them a lot. He said it's tough because they make the flex true to your stick length so a lot of people get their sticks and it feels different or whippier than they're used to. He said they last a little longer than the all black sticks but not quite as long as most big brand sticks.

The idea of getting sticks delivered in your exact pattern, flex, lie, and length without any cutting is very enticing though.

Also the last time I went to the store, how the gently caress are like all hockey sticks $300+ now?

That used to be the top level sticks. I struggled to find anything in the $150 range. Absolutely nothing for $100. I've been coasting on my bro in laws pro stock sticks and Amazon miracle deal Fischer's for the better part of a decade and they're dwindling. C'mon Amazon, accidentally mark hockey sticks back down to $7.50.

Yeah the fully custom aspect is what drew me in. Not to mention I paid $170 for 2 sticks. That coupon code is gone but they have a 15 or 20% off 2 stick code now.

And yeah sticks are stupid expensive nowadays. My price limit used to be $110 for big brand sticks but it’s hard as hell to find anything near that that doesn’t suck and weigh 4lbs.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got another 2-pack of sticks from Hoapa. I was boring and put my # and name on the other one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

calandryll posted:

How are you liking the Hoapa? A friend who is 6'5" has a hard time finding sticks that aren't stupidly expensive and where he gets a different blade pattern each time. Might have to recommend this to him.

I ordered a pair of sticks from Custom Hockey Sticks around black Friday when there were running a deal. Still waiting for them to ship, so I'm interested to see how they feel.

Pretty good! I've played like 4-5 games since I got my first and it's the lightest stick I've ever played with. I got a no grip stick the first 2-pack I ordered and it felt way too slippery, so my second 2-pack I opted for their sharkskin shaft grip, which is between no grip and the sticky stuff. I like it much better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^ 2 goal max is a weird freakin rule. Anyone can have a game and just be told NOPE.

My ASCII dick stick had its debut tonight on D. I scored off a give-and-go one-timer with someone at the goal line. Passed it to him, streaked in past the defender toward the net, and he gave it back to me. One-timer top corner through traffic. Ended up being the game winner in a 4-1 win. Hell yeah.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm pretty sure I'm still wearing the helmet I replaced it with.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I’ve thankfully never taken a solid shot to the head. Hope to never find out.

About once a year I get an itch to switch to a half shield, and within 1-2 games I get whacked with an errant stick and that’s that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Welp it finally happened after 14 years of playing beer league. I was screening the goalie, and a teammate shot the puck, it went off my dick and 5-holed the goalie. Did not get credit for the goal despite the ref confirming he gave it to me.

The very next shift, I was screening the goalie and the same guy wired a shot and hit me in the dick again, but did not go in. This one was a way harder shot and almost crumpled me. Had to go off for a change.