Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Does anyone else think it's weird that my novice league has refs that all play in the novice league? Maybe it's just confirmation bias on my part but since were at the top of the league there's been a real rash of non-calls for us and questionable calls against us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Hockles posted:

The commish in my inline league won't let me ref games because I play in the league. It's quite weird to have ref/players in ice.

Sorry, this is for my inline league.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

D C posted:

I don't remember what the Zetterberg curve looks like, but the Burrows curve is barely open, maybe the slightest bit, its a really calm curve.

Kovalev/Kopitar or bust!

Bought this beauty last week to use for roller, gonna go back and buy the other one they had left later this week I think.

I loved my Johnson, and then snapped it on a one timer a few weeks ago. RIP Johnson Draper 85 flex 2010-2013.

Now I'm playing with an old two piece Johnson that I broke far enough away from the kickpoint I thought it would be ok to patch it. I call it "the John"

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Played hockey at a drop in game for the first since 2013 when I quit playing due to being too poor the pay league fees and having a bad groin pull. Feels good, except my groin.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Big compound movements for strength - deadlift, squat, rows, pull-ups, etc.
Explosive movements for speed - sprints, box jumps, broad jumps, Olympic movements if you feel like hurting yourself.

Work out hard in the off season (beer league doesn’t have offseason so why work out!), maintenance during the season for injury prevention and rehab, speed work to always get faster, and intensity workouts when you have recovery time.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
It finally happened after 30 years of off and on playing hockey. Took a puck to the face last night. I’ve been playing drop in roller hockey and decided to take off my cage two weeks ago because the rink was too hot for safety. Luckily speed pucks are half the weight of an ice puck so instead of a broken orbital bone and nose I’ve just got a mouse under my eye and a small cut on the bridge of my nose. Not worth it, putting the cage back on next week.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Any Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia goons interested in Sunday night pickup inline hockey? Especially goalies, since this weekend’s session was cancelled due to lack of goalies. Hit me up for details, I have PMs or read my mail at gmail dot com.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I live in Gig Harbor and have been considering getting into ice hockey after playing inline my whole life. But the rink situation sounds kinda grim, unless the Tacoma rinks host their own league with no other travel. There’s no way I’d drive to Everett or Lynwood on a work night.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I once saw Darcy Wakaluk throw his stick after misplaying a puck in the corner. Saved the goal but gave up a goal on the penalty shot that came after. Always throw equipment to stop a goal.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Verman posted:

Well tonight's the night. One of the teams I sub with is short handed and needs bodies and they're playing at the rink at 9pm, which is 5 minutes from my house.

This will be my first actual game in more than a year after injuring my back.

I've been lacking on my physical therapy routine since my back has been feeling better these last few months but I try to stretch every day. I'm hoping this game goes well.

I went for a run today, I don't run regularly, just to see how the legs and lungs feel. Not great is the answer. I got COVID about two months ago and a respiratory infection two weeks later. My lungs were on fire and my legs felt like I started on empty. The hill didn't help. My legs felt like they weighed a thousand pounds.

I need to start a workout regimen of sorts. I hate working out just for the sake of just working out so it will take some willpower on my end but it needs to happen. During my recovery, I lost a lot of strength and all my cardio stamina. But if I want to play hockey again and ski season is starting, I'll enjoy both more if I do.

Im going to need to rearrange my budget to accommodate hockey again.

Lol jk. Games tomorrow. Thankfully I live close to the rink because I was trying to figure out what locker room we were in and didn't see it.

I just started a hockey specific workout today! Gary Robert's The Program he did with Nike a few years ago seems be be pretty popular online: http://www.hockeyeasternontario.ca/docs/NIKE_offseason_program.pdf. There's an in-season version too, but I'm trying out the offseason program for now.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
First session of adult learn to play ice hockey is tonight, with a drop in session right afterwards. I got some vapor 2x skates for cheap and ice skated over Christmas/nye vacation for the first time in 5+ years. All I’ve ever done is inline hockey so my goal is to learn how to hockey stop. I’m also signed up for adult skills evaluation this Saturday for league play starting end of the month.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Holy poo poo my obliques are sore. Hard skating and not being as confident on ice as I am on wheels kept me clinched all night and I’m still feeling it two days later.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
All of my hockey gear knowledge comes from inline hockey experience, so I'd like to know what seasoned beer league ice players think, since drop in and beer league is all I'll be doing until I'm too old to skate.

First question is about pants/girdles. In college I had a pretty bad tailbone injury during intermural inline hockey season and it haunts me to this day. I upgraded to an ice girdle - the Vapor XXXX adaptable core pad - which had awesome hip/kidney/tailbone protection, and being a girdle was close to the skin and gave a ton of flexibility. Of course, it was stolen along with most of my other gear and hockey bag and I ended up replacing it with a cheap Mission RSX padded pant made for roller hockey since my competitive collegiate hockey days were over. It's fine, has been fine since I bought it a decade ago, and works even now for friendly pickup inline games. I also got a pair of Reebok 5k pants I've worn since starting to play ice hockey in the last few weeks, which I have only worn a handful of times (and not at all in the last 5 years). They're huge, I have to wear uncomfortable suspenders to keep them in place even when completely cinched down, and I don't like the lack of coverage in certain areas despite feeling like I'm wearing a tank. I'd like a replacement, but from what I can tell Bauer stopped making Vapor girdles three generations after my old Vapor XXXXs (x:60, x7.0, APX) and only make girdles in the Supreme line. Anyone got suggestions on high mobility high protection girdles? I saw CCM's Jetspeed line has a girdle as well, but isn't that their "lightweight mobility" line? I'd like something with lots of protection, since my skillset is stand in front of the goalie and tap in trash.

Next is for elbow pads. When my gear got stolen I replaced them with inexpensive but totally functional Jofa 8025 which work fine for roller hockey. They don't pinch because of the one piece design, and usually stay in place pretty well especially now that I have a Shockdoctor undershirt with sleeve lock. They do have a pretty big gap on my lower bicep when wearing my new shoulders. Any suggestions on more modern elbows with a deep elbow caps that won't move ever if possible? I really hate the huge pointy elbows on the Vapor 2X, 2X Pro, and Hyperlite - they're too shallow and pinch the inside of my bicep even on the XL size ones. CCM's AS line doesn't pinch but also doesn't feel deep enough for my liking.

Final question: I love my Reebok 10k shins, they're absolute tanks but have worn straps and a small crack on one of the knees that will eventually get big enough I'll have to replace them. Looks like CCM is still making this shin with the same design for pro stock but calls them 19k or 20k or 21k. This one even has the old Reebok logo on the knee. How can I get my hands on pro stock without just keeping an eye on reseller sites, or is that the only option?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I had adult eval last Saturday, supposed to get drafted this week for first game this Sunday. Got a nice groin pull on Sunday night during my regular pickup inline game.

Skipped Monday night ice drop in, because of the groin, but turns out that was okay because they ended early due to “emergency ice maintenance”. Aka - a shot on goal deflected to the rafters and hit a fire sprinkler head. Dumped enough dirty water that the sheet melted to the concrete. Oops!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
https://imgur.com/a/1EKecK2

Eval was a couple drills then scrimmage. Looked like a lot of returning players were there along with a few new skaters, so I get the feeling that everyone was evaluating the 3-5 new people.

First drill: from the corner on the goalies left, skate a puck around the faceoff circle, take a shot on goal when you get into the slot. Continue to skate to the other faceoff circle (partial figure 8), receive a pass at the top of the circle, cut up ice and shoot on the other goalie. Get in line, do it the opposite way.

Second drill: split up forwards and defensemen, fowards in the corner, d at center. Fowards get a pass from a D man from center ice to the corner, skate it all the way to the other end where one of the d pick you up in the neutral zone for 1v1. Get back in line after you shoot or lose the puck. Not sure what the defenders did in the middle. There may have been more to this drill, but I've skated a lot in the last week an can't remember.

Then about 45 minutes of scrimmaging, playing 10-12 per side.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 18, 2023

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:lol: this sucks so much but it's pretty funny

Not too bad, they announced ice is fixed and back open today.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Got assigned to the lowest league. I’m pretty sure it’s because I put zero years experience, b/c as my preference, and they needed to fill the beginners league. I’m gonna smoke some fools.

Four teams of six players that will pair up, rotating every week to play each other. Also occasionally play a team in the b league for “experience”.

First game this Sunday night.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I've never been accused of being a playmaker, but I will make it my goal rack up the assists.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I like tap-ins and deflections. Nothing better than ruining a defender’s day after taking abuse from them while standing directly in front of their goalie.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
League play starts tonight!

Got called this morning to sub for a team up one league and accepted, played with six and won 3-1! I got a 2+10 because USA Hockey doesn’t want players to talk to refs anymore.

2 minutes for slashing - I tapped a guys stick with the flat edge of my blade to try and knock him off the puck. 10 minutes for telling the ref it wasn’t a slash and read the rule book. Oops!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Got popped in the nose last summer with a lightweight roller puck, so always be cageing.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Most of the high level guys that show up to the private drop ins I go to will match your level of effort, so it’s pretty great if you want to be challenged or just take it easy. But if you get a sneaky win over them they will for sure shut you down the rest of the night.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 28, 2023

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I tuck my socks or roller hockey pants between the shin and skate tongue. Doesn’t make much difference though, seems like my liners always get work in that area no matter what.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Skating is good! Do it as much as you can. One of the new players I met this summer has improved really quickly because he’s getting on the ice 5x a week.

Some places with open skates don’t let you wear hockey gear, so I take my mountain biking knee pads and elbows to wear under some joggers and a baggy hoodie. They’re low profile but good impact protection, something like this: https://a.co/d/gcgvk8U

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I got two pro blackouts for $130 total from hockeystickman.com. Doesn’t seem to have that deal up anymore, but $65 for a pretty decent twig is a steal.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Playing with chill guys is so good. My Sunday pickup group apparently had a tryhard dickhead that liked to yell at people and they kicked him out last year before I joined. Everyone out of the 20-30 rotating players have been pretty nice and competitive without being jerks.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I just want to learn to skate like Crosby

Like actual Crosby level skating or just learning how to C step?

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 28, 2023

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Finding a group of chill hockey players is so nice. I got invited by one of the regular goalies at roller hockey pickup to make a team for a tournament over Memorial Day weekend, and everyone else that was invited is a cool dude. Pickup games are competitive and friendly, no drama or dickheads.

On the other hand I got added to a Snapchat group for organizing ice hockey drop in and some of those dudes are the worst. Mostly a few of the young guys in the group but it’s probably because I don’t recognize internet poisoned edge lord sarcasm anymore.

In conclusion, hockey is a land of contrasts.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
My pants are too big and my girdle is super snug. They’re about the same difficulty to put on (skates shin pants gang) the biggest challenge is getting your skate boot through the bottom opening in your pants or shell.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
What does everyone do for base layers?

I have knee high thin Bauer socks, a jock strap + cup, compression shorts with Velcro tabs, and a compression shirt with the long sleeves you fold over your elbow pads. If I’m playing roller hockey I have compression shorts jock combo with built in pads for hips tailbone and thighs.

I used to play high school sports of all kinds with just Hanes boxers and athletic shorts, no base layers at all but that’s just gross so I try to be fully covered under my gear.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I was farting around with my old W01 Fedorov curve, and it's pretty horrible! Mid heel curve, short blade length, slightly opened face. Not really great for anything except lifting it on the backhand.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

V for Vegans posted:

Pros being able to launch backhands makes no sense to me. I put more effort than I’ve ever done for anything behind a backhander and it plops off my stick like I’m throwing tissues into the wind.

Itrain hockey has a YouTube channel with great slap shot and wrister shooting intensive videos, probably has a backhand video too. He blew up so his newer stuff is mostly teasers to get you to go to a camp or pay for a membership but a ton of 5+ year old videos are great for skills development. Check it out!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
There’s a couple of ways to shoot and the puck can be close to the body or further away, depending on what you’re doing. Main thing is making sure your bottom arm is straight, locked at the elbow, under your chin and flexing your stick. If you get in that position, is the blade in the right position to shoot? If not, you may need to shorten. Personally, I use my longer stick when playing D or center, and like my shorter stick if I’m playing on the wing.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I don’t choke up, just move my hands further from the body to bring the stick blade closer in.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Beginner hockey league updates so far!

Originally the rink decided to add a beginner C league and push players that needed development down into that league and add in new skaters there with the intent of promoting players back up as they got better/more experienced. There were four teams of 6-7 players for C league after evaluations and the A and B league teams drafted rosters. The idea was playing 1&2 v 3&4, 1&3 v 2&4, etc and rotating weekly so everyone got to play together.

This pissed people off. I get not liking being told that you need to move down, or being upset with slow or conflicting communication, and some folks already paid for a sweater for their team, but from skating with some of those players they really needed to be in a development league. Roster for C league dropped from 24-26 players down to about 12.

The rink panicked and rushed their already delayed rollout of what beginner C league was supposed to be, and we’re back up to 17-19 players. Some players from the higher leagues fill in as mentors for C league games, so most the time we have ten per side.

All in total, here’s what my $500 league fees got: 22 league games (at good times - Sunday afternoons or Wednesday nights never later than 9:30), plus unlimited subbing for B league teams (if you get a call from a B captain, I’ve already subbed in 4 games), a punch card for sticktime with 10 sessions on it (1 hour sticktime, $100 value), 13 1-hour skills and drills sessions run by the youth travel club coaching staff.

Communication is kinda bad, but that’s due to using emails and the rink sending to the wrong or a bad email, or people not checking, or the email getting flagged as spam. Scheduling was wonky in the beginning but there’s a calendar online that’s accurate and changes usually get an email reminder. Now that the players know each other there’s group texts too so people are getting multiple reminders about games and other sessions or schedule changes, so it’s not too bad.

Stat tracking is nonexistent for C league, and hit or miss for the other leagues. The website they use is atrocious to navigate but at least they keep mostly accurate scores and some stats. There was a B league game I filled in that was on the website as a 2-1 loss for the team I subbed for that was definitely a 2-2 tie. Took about 3 days for that to change online.

Still a lot of complaining from people that have been playing there a long time, but I’m just glad to be playing hockey! Helping instead of hotdogging is pretty fun. And I definitely got my money’s worth, I plan on making all the remaining skills and drills sessions and games so s&d + sticktime + games comes to $11/hour of ice time.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

xzzy posted:

Look up a progression to doing stump jumps. When you can do those you're officially explosive enough.

My new conditioning plan is to do Mt. Bierstadt once a month once the pass is open. For now I'm just doing weekend hikes in Pike NF because it's hilly as hell and over 7k feet. The higher stuff in South Park still completely destroys me.

I searched stump jumps and found this video: https://youtu.be/zl4EugCBCaE

Holy poo poo my old knees are screaming from just watching.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Got asked to sub up a division and had 2G 1A, plus got told I have an open invite to sub for that team any time they’re short. Feels good man.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Be sure to let everyone that works at the rink know exactly why the entire team is leaving!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Getting old sucks. Last few skates have felt horrible and I just don’t have the same recovery as when I was younger. Brutal spring allergies are on top of a long list of lingering old man problems - achy wrist probably arthritis, sore shoulder from a likely rotator cuff tear years ago, knee pain from being fat and old, hell even my bunionette on my right foot started to get worse again.

I am excited for the off season though so I can work out hard and address those issues without feeling wiped out when I skate.

Hockey is cool, so start now to enjoy it before you get old and tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Beginner C League I'm in matches teams to play every week, 1&2 v 3&4, 1&3 v 2&4, etc, so there's no offical jerseys. Just bring a dark and a white and (usually) find out which to wear when you arrive. I know for sure that my team is wearing white tomorrow, and the sweater finally arrived in the mail today: