Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Next time you want to skate for three hours do it with a speed chute and see how long you last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Stop making knobs on the end of your sticks you ninny

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onwYzEp1qwc

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Thufir posted:

When I did this a couple weeks ago I think the ice was still better after 60 minutes of play than our normal rink ice is right after resurfacing.

Speaking of rebounds, I've had a lot of chances lately where I'm in front of the net and the goalie's down and I'm hacking at rebounds but I keep putting them right into the pads. What can I do to elevate the puck better, do I just need to angle my blade up some?

Bend your knees.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just told my team over beers tonight after our win that I'll be moving up a league next season :smith:

Just told my team in the locker room last night that I'm moving across the country and had just played my last game :smith:

Sacramento area goons, beware.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

sba posted:

I still haven't even started playing since I moved here. I need new skates and pants, my car poo poo itself after I got here and I just dished out $1500 for a down payment, so I haven't had the expendable income. Hopefully after this month goes by I can get out to Xport and hook myself up and get out there again. I'm sick of just watching my SO play...and she's probably sick of me giving NHL analysis on every game or practice I go to.

When I moved my two teams were mixed reaction, one was like OK PEACE the other was bummed. The group I played pickup with was devastated though.

What size skates/pants do you need? I'm selling all my skater stuff and only bringing my goalie gear. If they fit, I have great condition 10D Vapor X4.0s and meh M-M Synergy pants for you if you cover shipping and help me out with finding ice when I get out there.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Honestly my left hand eventually pushes my jersey up and into my pants so it's kinda pointless to pull it back out. Sorry guys :ohdear:

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Hey Gio is it worse to be the guy who gives a poo poo about other peoples equipment or to be the guy that makes an equipment change because a dude on the internet said so?

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Dangerllama posted:

Or is it worse to be the white knight when someone's getting ribbed a little?

What did you just do? :psyduck:

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

poser posted:

I don't have a lot of confidence with the puck, I'm hoping that leading the breakout will help cure these issues.

You'll become a better skater by virtue of reacting to forwards rather than being the forward making the decision. Being able to get your head up and make a good outlet pass is easier than it looks, especially with beer league players that don't move at all.

Having fresh legs and jumping into a rush late in a shift is a great way to end up with an easy goal, too. I say go for it.

Watch this and every other m2hockey video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9rfpFENmpY

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
The thing about wingers being in position is it actually allows you to make the hard clear up the boards or the nice pass up the middle. Timing is an element of it that's hard to get down but if someone is going to skate hard to the point and a puck is rimmed around the glass they should be able to do something with it the majority of the time. Get it cleanly, chip it past a defender, or get the D to have to turn around and chase the puck and apply pressure - Something good will happen.

It's the standing still that just fucks everything :mad:

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Verman posted:

Obviously I haven't played with them yet but my old pants were coopers ... yes coopers. So the difference is night and day. Pretty light and pretty protective but the best part is all of the mobility.

The skates feel super stiff and light, much much much better than the Vapor X3 LTDs

The X4s do an awesome job of molding to your feet without needing to be baked. After the first skate in mine they were perfect. You should enjoy them!

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Where would be the best place in/between Richmond, VA and DC to get skates?

Probably Kettler. Ashburn has a half decent selection and will order stuff for you, too, but Kettler is their parent rink anyway.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Pleads posted:

Why is this? I have a very active stick when I'm defending the rush, so far it's done wonders throwing off passing in my C-level league.

It makes you predictable. If your stick is going left and right, I'm going to your weak side as soon as you start to bring your stick back to your strong side.

Keep your stick calm with your top hand close to your body. Look like you have less reach than you do, and then attack the puck before it leaves the oppositions stick.

Don't tell a teammate they have time and/or space if you aren't 100% sure.
Don't try the Michigan if you aren't going to score.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Make sure you start on the back of the blade with the roll initially being towards the bottom of your blade. If you tape your stick with the butt on the ground, that will mean pulling the roll up on for the first section.

And pull hard on the tape, that too.

The orientation doesn't really matter

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Thufir posted:

Is it around that boney protuberance in your upper thigh? I used to fall on that constantly and it hurt super bad but I think it was just an inflammation of the bursa around the outside of the trochanter.

I used to deal with this all the time when I played inline since I didn't wear a girdle and stopping is a bullshit lie :colbert:

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Minister Robathan posted:

One of the bigger problems with the 85 flex is that I fall down after the slap shot

Wait, really? I think we found the problem.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
I once spent an entire summer living in a carbon fiber tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Pleads posted:

I hear those things flex like crazy in a strong wind!

Nah it was a 100 flex and I only weigh 150, no biggie.