Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

This is another good one, it gives me nightmares. We used to have to do this until we couldn't feel our legs anymore :(

Jesus gently caress, I'm gonna need some leg pads if that's where I want to be in the long run. I whacked my knee pretty good today and it's already sore.. doing anything like that (or the video Thufir posted) I'm gonna need to find some way to not bruise myself falling. I'm just not confident enough to throw my balance around that much, and I think it's limiting how far I'm willing to push.

Does anyone make "practice pads" that I can strap over my jeans when I go to a lunch skate, or are full shin guards the only way to go? Something for elbows would be nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I assume there's a lot of torso twisting in the exercise. You can definitely get the stick behind you if you need too.

I'm just not sure how it helps with snap shots. :iiam:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's like an old car chase where they speed up the film to make it look faster.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The ref's crease at my lunchtime skate is always chewed all to hell.. like someone was toepicking it for a half hour straight.

There's usually huge chips out of one of the faceoff circles too, someone goes loving nuts on that ice and they need to stop it, because I feel like I'm gonna lose my balance whenever I skate over it. Once I find the chips, I usually just hang out on the other side of the rink to avoid it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Green Submarine posted:

That has happened to me because the outside sides of my feet bulge out freakishly.

I'd guess one of two things:

Your skates might be too narrow. If you can identify pressure points on the side of your foot, mark them and have a skate shop punch them out.

It can also happen if you over-tighten your laces across the top of your foot. You don't want your feet floating, but you don't want them pinched, either. Try loosening the tension around the 5th or 6th eyelet.

I've been dealing with this on the skates I bought back in March. I thought I had them fitting well for a few weeks, but they've started hurting again and it seems to be getting worse.. not sure if there's a real problem developing, or my constant attempts to fix it is what's making it worse. Sometimes I can get everything just right, laces not too lose, not too tight.. there's a middle spot where the pain fades enough that I can get a full skate in. But I shouldn't have to be putting up with this.

I got an appointment scheduled with a podiatrist in a week or so, just to make sure nothing's going wrong.

But from what I can tell, the footbed is just too narrow for my foot. Kind of like a bowl, the outside edges of my foot get pushed upward while the middle part of my foot is resting on the sole. Skates feel fine when I'm trying them on at home, but 10 minutes on the ice and I'm in agony. :iiam:

Seriously thinking I'm gonna have to ebay these, and find some different skates. Supposedly Graf makes good skates for fat feet, anyone got an opinion on them?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Green Submarine posted:

The width of Grafs varies widely (haha) from model to model. They're generally great skates, but they're expensive and never get discounted much, even the multi-year-old models. If you decide to go that route, try some on and find out which model fits you better before pulling the trigger online.

I gotta say though, I like Graf's setup. They base their tiers more on foot shape than materials. Though it is a little disappointing that the wide foot models don't show up until the higher tiers.

Goddamn their prices. :gonk:

I think I just need to sit on this for a week or two, I'm super frustrated at my skates and have the feeling I'll buy anything if it fits if I were to go out now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It can't be that expensive to test.. set up a computer with a program that moves objects against backgrounds of different colors (both solid backgrounds and alternating), convince a neuroscientist to get interested in it, get a bunch of data points, release paper.

I'd be surprised if research applicable to the question hasn't already been done, but have no idea how to go about finding it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poser posted:

Lets have a SAS game, one team with white tape and the other with black tape and see who wins.

But don't you need a control group with no tape for the results to be reliable? :confuoot:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of new skates, the hockey shop told me this weekend is the big weekend.. everyone's getting their shipment of the new year of skates.

Anything special worth keeping an eye out for?

I've got them bringing in a pair of wide Graf skates to try, and they're saying there should be a bunch of EE width CCM and Reebok's to try.

Hopefully something fits my foot. :ohdear:

(I think of the flashy style of skates, Reebok looks the best. CCM looks pretty douchey, everyone else has way too much chrome. Why doesn't anyone make a plain black skate anymore? Even Graf has the stupid neon green accents all over the place)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the hockey store sales kids I talk to say Bauer runs narrower than Reebok. :iiam:

Once the new shipment comes in I'm going to the biggest store in the area, and ain't leaving until I've tried every skate in the store.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

At "D" width both Bauer and CCM run about the same, right down the middle. They'd be really uncomfortable for someone with wide feet. That said, they both make a lot of E (and wider) skates that are pretty easy to find, so don't think that there is just the one option and if that doesn't fit you're SOL.

The problem I've been running into is that even though these companies make wide skates, stores don't stock them because relatively few people actually buy them. Which is why I'm hopeful for this coming week.. maybe I can snag the one pair they ordered that actually fits. Pretty much all the sales reps at local stores are telling me "well, just order some online!" which is loving ridiculous because I am not buying a pair of skates without having some solid information to base the purchase on.

I haven't been able to find a single person who can accurately measure my foot so I could make an educated purchase. Which is why I was looking into Graf, as they have some kind of fancy foot measuring system you can use to find the perfect skate. However, none of the chucklenuts in this region actually use Graf's measuring system.

At this point, I'd even consider coughing up the cash to work with someone who has experience gearing up professional teams, but I haven't been able to find anything like that.

Maybe now that the Blackhawks are on vacation I could track down Troy Parchman. :eng101:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good to know. If this weekend doesn't work out I'll give them a try.. because I won't have anywhere else to go. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, the only big dealer for Graf in the Chicago suburbs is Total Hockey, and the kids there are pretty useless.

I tend to avoid pro shops because the service seems pretty sketchy.. they seem to get offended when you don't instantly buy something from them.

The "reputable" stores in the Chicago area (Gunzo's and Jerry's) don't carry Graf.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I ran across this guy on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/weissie20

Kind of cool.. he takes clips from NHL games and dissects the plays with an eye towards education.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I went to the skate shop after work, and the new year of skates are drat ugly. :smith:

I did speak at length with the senior guy at the store and he convinced me to bring in my skates so he can look at them.. says he may be able to stretch them out so they stop hurting my feet. I'm all for saving a bunch of money so I'm gonna try it.

I did try on a pair of Bauers.. aren't they supposed to run narrow? Because the ones I tried felt pretty good. I only got about 5 minutes in them though.. I want to sit around with them fully laced for a good 15 minutes before deciding.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poser posted:

How the hell do you guys get solo ice time?

The place I go has two has two rinks open at lunch.. a free skate, and a stick-n-puck. Typically a max of 4 people per rink.

You just gotta go when no one else can.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poser posted:

The problem is here is there is pretty much one rink with 4 sheets of ice and its always busy. They have noon pickup with 20 skaters and 2 goalies and its always full. I went to a Tuesday 10 am stick n puck and about 15 people were there and that was a pretty small number. I'm so jealous of the people that have so many rinks to choose from.

The evening stick and puck is like that.. easily 30-40 dudes on the ice trying to get some practice in.

But during the day it's empty.. figure it's because I'm pretty far out in the suburbs, during the work day the area pretty much empties out so it's just me with the ice to myself.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But I have a job. :smith:

I just got seriously lucky that the rink is ~8 minutes from my desk.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

coldwind posted:

I knew. There's no way a phone takes that kinda shot.

I'm just surprised you put it back up and then started taking harder shots.

Doesn't the iPhone use gorilla glass?

Poke around on youtube.. it's seriously tough stuff. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it could take a puck to the face.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Denver. This place is turning into such a chill hockey town.

I tried to move there over the winter, but no jobs. :smith:

Wife and I spent a few days there, seriously could not find a single thing wrong with the place (except perhaps the performance of their sport teams).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Your rink has windows? Well I never. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Google searching it, it sounds like some website started the rumor that the iPhone 4 uses gorilla glass, and a bunch of people accepted it as truth.

It sounds like the reality is it uses a product similar to gorilla glass, but isn't actually gorilla glass. :iiam:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vigilance posted:

It always makes me giggle when NHL defensemen of all people forget that and go full retard with two chasing behind the net/into the corner.

To their credit, they're so physically fit, they can actually pull it off more often than not. It just looks really silly when it doesn't work out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Do any of us here really want to be that guy? In some no-name league with nothing on the line except whether or not the guys in the locker room think you're a prick?
I figured that's why the posts showed up here. No one wants to be that guy, but they still gotta vent. Hanging on to that frustration is eventually going to come out in a game, and do no one any good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there a better possible view to have at lunch?

(restaurant at my rink just re-opened, I had a burger and fries after doing my lunch skate)

Few guys were practicing defensive plays, was fun to watch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

coldwind posted:

Boobs? :smug:

After thinking about it, if I had the choice between boobs and hockey while eating my lunch.. I think I'd opt for the hockey. Nude girls are just too distracting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's everyone's favorite place to order blank jerseys? Which brands seem to hold up the best?

Now that it's not winter anymore and I'm not wearing my habitual flannel shirt, I go skating in a short sleeved shirt, and it's been a bit chilly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bought my second pair of skates in 4 months tonight. I really wish fitting footwear wasn't such a black art. :smith:

I haven't skated them yet, but I walked around in them for a good 45 minutes at the skate store after baking, and they felt significantly better. That was after spending an hour trying on every brand in the place. At one point I had a Bauer on one foot, a CCM on the other, and the sales guy lacing up some Eastons.

Got some Easton EQ4's, 7.5 EE. The EQ5's felt even better but there's no way I could justify a $550 skate. EQ3's felt like I was putting my foot in a tupperware bowl.

Anyone want a pair of Reebok 8k 8.5E? :smith:

(gonna toss 'em up on ebay this weekend, there's gotta be someone out there looking for a bargain)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How will you ever become pro if you don't have a dryer to practice shots on? :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Minister Robathan posted:

I'll almost guarantee that it's from not having a coach constantly yell at them to "KEEP YOUR loving STICK ON THE ICE ARRRRGH I SWEAR TO GOD I'LL BREAK IT IF YOU DON'T!"
Have them watch Blackhawks games. :colbert:

Eddie constantly bitches about players not having their sticks down, it's basically coach lite, all the lessons, none of the sweat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poser posted:

I wish my roommate was like all of you when it game to gear. I buy nice things and he just makes fun of me:smith:

We all spent ten bucks to post on the internet, your friends didn't.

Moral of the story: get them to sign up here, and soon they too will be willing to spend all their money on hobbies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I hang around and watch pickup hockey after my lessons, some of the guys out there take "shifts" in the 3-4 minute range.

Granted, most of them aren't skating very hard, so they probably aren't getting tired. But when there's 6 or more dudes on the bench waiting for a turn, 20 minutes between shifts is ridiculous.

Though it does make it easy to spot the guys who have some college level experience.. they tend to skate hard, and take proper shifts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

45 seconds is the standard. There's some neat graphs floating around the internet of NHL players and "effectiveness" graphed against shift length if you look around.. the chances for errors go up significantly after 60 seconds. At 120 seconds it's basically a crapshoot whether you help or hinder your team.

I've never done organized hockey, but from what I've gathered, coaches are always directing the shift changes. Players both on and off the ice will know who's replacing who, but it's up to the coach to manage matchups and his players' energy levels.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is it possible to get lace bite, or something that feels like lace bite, but only in my pinky toes? Got this developing issue where I feel fine skating, maybe a little bit of ache, but as soon as I get off the ice the pinky toe on both feet explode in pain.

Pop off my skate and it hurts near the metatarsal joint at the front of my foot, only on the top and bottom, and only on the pinky toe. So my guess is it's a tendon issue. It feels very much like lace bite, but I have no idea what's causing it.

Rest for 10 minutes and the pain is gone and I'm fine until the next time I skate.

Clenching my foot while skating maybe? Tendon rubbing on the inside of the skate?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

I don't think you can find a skate too "high performance" for a beginner. The same things that make them beneficial to pros would be good for you too. The EQ5 would probably be a perfectly good skate for you but you shouldn't be choosing a skate based on % off, you need to try them on and see what brand/line feels right.

Boots get stiffer as the price goes up. A new skater could be in for a world of pain if he gets some pro level gear and it has absolutely no flex to it. He can probably fight through it but there is some justification for getting cheaper skates early on.

That said, I tried on some EQ50's in the new model year, and they felt great. I ended up buying EQ40's because I couldn't justify $550.. but the EQ50's did feel good. Fit was more or less the same, but the EQ50 has more padding on the inside than the EQ40.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

I would recommend buying your first pair at a local shop.

And based on my experiences the last 6 months, visit EVERY shop you can reasonably drive to. Try every brand in the store, as well. Schedule to hang out for 2 hours, and don't let them talk you into believing that heat treating will fix all issues.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cenzo posted:

When you bake a skate where in the skate do the dimensions change? Should i expect that to be corrected after heating or consider a larger size?

Not significantly. The underlying structure is going to be the same, and if you heat treat it until it fits, over time the skate is going to want to return to the factory shape. Heat treating will ease pressure points but it can't make the wrong skate fit.

Keep in mind it might not be a size thing.. every manufacturer has a different foot mold and it's possible their mold does not match your foot. I had rubbing on the ball of my foot with Vapors too.. I think their toe area is just a little bit too straight and doesn't follow the contours of the foot as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

runoverbobby posted:

I dunno man...this is anecdotal evidence, but I've seen a LOT of Ducks and ex-Ducks play golf and most of them were super bad. Ilya Bryzgalov and Corey Perry probably shoot in the 130-150 range. Tiny little Todd Marchant is a scratch golfer though, dude can drive 320+.

That's only because they can't pick fights with the ball when they start to lose.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I practiced shooting in the grass, because my parents didn't want me screwing up the porch. :colbert:

And the parking lot was off limits too, they didn't want me hitting people's cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

Let me have my dream of a rink in my yard that doesn't require cold :mad:

There's demo videos on youtube if you hunt around.. it looks like you can skate as if it were ice, though I have no idea how it "feels".

Apparently you can even hockey stop on the stuff, which amazes me.