Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen two broken ankles on the ice, and both of them happened in the slot. One of them wasn't even during play, just twisted wrong and snap it went.

That's why I don't rush the net anymore, it's not because I'm lazy but it's safer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eagle gloves are worth it.. even if they're painfully ugly

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It works fine, it doesn't need your phone or any signal at all to record how bad you are at the game.

Just uses the heart rate monitor and the accelerometer for stride detection.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You skate at the most absurd rink in the world.. you really ought to collect stories and sell them or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

While wearing skates, stand straight up with your stick in your top hand. Hold the stick directly in front of yourself. Does it lie flat, or is the toe off the ice? Too long. Is the heel off the ice? Too short.

This can also point to an incorrect lie though. I think it's better to measure sticks with the toe on the ground and measure where on your face the butt is. Some like it at the collarbone. Some want it on the tip of the nose. Idiots want it at the eyebrows.

Once you've measured that then you do the flat blade test to determine your lie.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If your gloves get rank after one skate, gloves ain't the problem.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Given the uptake on skate fenders and kevlar socks, probably not many. You'll see a few more at skates for a few weeks then people quietly stop wearing them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Last season I had a guy stick lift my poke check with enough force the toe of my stick got him under the chin then skipped up off the tip of his nose and under his visor. No bleeding but he looked kinda dazed while he processed what happened.

I sure deserved the 2 minutes but it doesn't change the fact that more protective gear would have put him in a lot less risk. It's scrub tier hockey, poo poo happens, pad up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The penguins announced last night their ECHL and AHL teams are required to use neck and wrist protection and are pushing to have the NHL require it too.

So demand is only going to go up. That does mean more products are going to get developed because capitalism demands it but it'll take a while to hit stores.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sucks that someone had to die for change to start but improvement is improvement I guess.

Remains to be seen if it lasts more than two months.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The skater that cut Adam Johnson got arrested for manslaughter.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-67419951

I guess that's another motivation for mandating neck protection: liability. Who would want to go skate if someone is out there without protection and a random collision gets you in jail for murder? I haven't watched the video and ain't gonna but I guess a complicating factor is that this skater was actually trying to kick him. So maybe it's pretty cut and dried.

Maybe it wouldn't play out that way in America but we're also way more lawsuit happy here so perhaps the end result is just as bad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bending your knees more is treated like a cure-all, but there's a lot more going on down there than just the angle of your knees. It's obviously something all never-evers gently caress up so I get why coaches harp on it so much but it's just part of the equation.

Get your hip mobility up, work those abductors and adductors, work those fast twitch responses (if you can do stump jumps you're plenty fast for beer league) and learn how to do a full leg extension on each stride (including pushing off with your toe). Oh and do planks. Lots of planks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Try and imagine being as fast as an NHLer.. and still being able to read the game and plan out plays even faster than that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slap shots are the dumbest play to make in low level beer league, anyone that can get velocity on it is gonna be way more useful with a writer and anyone that can't is about to turn the puck over.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My big friend skate back in Illinois was on Thanksgiving morning. Cheap ice, 30 friendly dudes show up and play for a couple hours. Definitely wish it was like that all the time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm still using those sticks. I bought a lot of them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had friends go there every year when I was still in Illinois, it was mostly hope that kept them going. The registration sucked, the games sucked (due to sandbaggers) and the weather increasingly sucks. The only upside was a weekend away from home getting piss drunk with the boys. But they kept signing up hoping the coming year would be different.

Obviously the solution is to move it to lake winnipeg.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tag yourself

https://i.imgur.com/L61zT1W.mp4

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's easier on the commissioner than actually balancing teams so of course they're gonna do it.

I played in a league the limited goals for "skilled" players but the end result was once they hit their quota they just played keep away the rest of the game so it didn't actually fix any problems.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I was in that league I'd forfeit every game against that team.

Maybe hang out in the parking lot and grill hotdogs or whatever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I replaced a helmet only because the league I was in made us get a sticker every season and all the stickers started looking stupid.

Whenever I got a new one instead of peeling the old one off I'd be in a hurry to get on the ice so I'd just slap it on any bare spot. Repeat for five years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lacing can be a factor too. Experiment with where you tighten up (leave the toes loose, or the midfoot, etc) and see if there's any change. Your feet may just not be used to crammed into a coffin so relieving pressure points can help. I don't recommend running with the top eyelets loose but you can certainly try it.

There's also different lacing patterns out there if you want to get really nerdy but that might be overkill. It's definitely worth experimenting though, no one knows your feet like you do so it's a puzzle you kinda gotta figure out through iteration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I played on a team of firefighters for a bit and they were super hilarious and chill. Downside was locker room talk could get kinda gross if the paramedics showed up and started trying to out-gore each other's stories.

But on the other hand if anyone got hurt they were fuckin on point.