Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

poser posted:

I heard from someone who has seen both AHL and NHL games closer than any of us ever will that a good AHL top line is a NHL 3rd line at best.

Third line Oilers and third line Detroit is noticeable step up I would think. Makes a little sense I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
bewbies, do you plan on taking part in the Blazers Ice Center charity hockey extravaganza marathon Saturday? Seems like a cool idea, 15 or so hours of hockey for $100 donation.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

D C posted:

There is no defense in roller hockey.

And I loved it :argh:

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Thufir posted:

Ug, at my game on Wednesday I collided with a guy on my first shift and something hit me in the throat. I finished the game but my throat has felt hosed up since then so I decided that probably shouldn't play until I see a doc and know my airway isn't about to collapse or something. Can you break your throat?

:stare:

Throat, testicles, neck injuries are best dealt with by getting checked out. I imagine there is not much they can do, but might be able to tell you to not play for a week or so.

At least it was not a skate :unsmigghh:

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

toxicsunset posted:

Just gonna say this: Forfeits are the lamest thing in the world. So pumped and ready to go, we get on the ice, the other team captain shows up and goes "So...we only have two guys.."

Two guys :psyduck:

When this used to happen we would just have some of our team play for them and have a fun game for an hour so we would not just lose rink time. It was often with one regular goalie and some guy who took half an hour to dress as another goalie.

On another note, I did an MSPaint of your avatar as one of the most memorable on here.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Thufir posted:

Oversharing health update: I didn't break my throat but I apparently have some rare neckbone syndrome that the throat trauma aggravated so I might need surgery. Missing games :(

Not good times. The bright side is you get great meds after a throat surgery. Wish you good luck with your talk box mishap.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Verman posted:

But how do you take them? Backdoor?

Did not think that through very well. But, suppositories or patches work and better than a pill anyway. Quite a few people (addicts) plug their meds though, as in shoving them up the back door.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ya know, if I didn't have a couple Folsom prison guards on my team, I would have thought I was in the wrong thread after reading these past few posts. Hearing about stuff being put in people's butts is sadly a common conversation topic in our locker room :smith:

Years ago my league director at the time made not so subtle butt plug jokes before each game "OK, everyone check to see if their butt plug is in place, don't want a stick going where it isn't supposed to (as in through our cages. We had to wrap the hell out of that butt)."

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Just play NHL 11 and listen to Iron Maiden. You'll get everything back.

Sound about right, if you really want to get some skills use your stick as an air guitar between shots.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Henrik Zetterberg and bewbies, for your injuries I recommend localized aplication of Iron Maiden to your point of injury. This is best done by Dr Dre BEATS headphones wrapped firmly with an ACE bandage or in a pinch can be executed using those tiny portable speakers. Improvement should be shown withing 4-6 hours after treatment. And since you had surgeries bewbies, enjoy the medication along with the new treatment. Get well people.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

ManicJason posted:

I thought everywhere did shootouts now. Everywhere I've played has gone straight into a 3 or 5 round shootout at the end of a regulation tie.

When I was about 14 years old our game/OT/SO was taking too long to resolve itself so the league director decided the following. Each teams goaltender stands in their crease and shoots a puck (with their goal stick) at the opposing empty net. First one in wins. As you could imagine, it took awhile for some scrawny 14 year olds in goalie pads that NEVER handle a puck to get anywhere near a respectable shot. Worse than the in between period AHL "shoot the puck in an empty net to win a recliner game."

as you have probably guessed, this was roller. Shocking right?

If only there was some Iron Maiden on instead of "Lowrider."

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Just got to use an old aluminum Nike stick... to murder a spider in my room. It was over two inches and surprised the hell out of me when it went running across my floor. Homey done got got by the blade. Planning a session of garage roller hockey tomorrow now :toot:

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Here is a guy showing Ovechkin a thing, first time I saw it was my roller hockey coach when I was 10. Oh memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmxsGIjM4eI&t=3m24s

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I'm already on the horn with them. I'm sure it'll get resolved satisfactorily, it just sucks to have a shipment arrive and it's a box of kindling.

You do cool cool stuff with broken sticks though, if they allow you to keep it. I worked at UPS for a few years during college and it is amazing how terrible manufacturers packed firearms and sporting goods. Remington boxes were not even taped or stapled most of the time, just a rifle in a donut type box where the flaps tuck in. I recently shipped a rifle to Remington to get repaired and two weeks later they sent me an empty box. I was sure the rifle just fell out and nobody gave a poo poo, but nope, they said they sent me the box to send my rifle back to them... which they had had for nearly two weeks. :rant:

Anyway, sorry about your stick :shobon:

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Maybe you two should zip your bags.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Stringer_Bell posted:

Can't wait to get e-mails and phone calls at midnight from angry hockey dads!

It is the moms you really need to worry about.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

bewbies posted:

In conclusion I have the decision making and survival skills of a 5 year old. An immature 5 year old.

You shouldn't give yourself too much grief, you had the ordering a sonic double cheeseburger part right (mayo I hope :colbert:).

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Why are roller jerseys so goddamn ugly? I swear they look like paintball jerseys.

Because they double as paintball jerseys.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Vital Signs posted:

Well... it seems the hockey season is only a few weeks away and I failed at my plan to stay active this summer. Hold onto your butts for the sweet, sweet disappointment of the first 2-4 games. If I stop posting, I died on the bench.

As long as you die in Jagrs arms.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

D C posted:

What blows me away is that theres people here playing together all over the place, but no one in Vancouver, I guess every here is too busy eating sushi and hiking or something.

Isn't that the thing to do up there? Smoke drugs and have a sushi picnic on a trail? And throw poo poo at buildings.

This lack of hockey in Oklahoma is going to be the death of me. I back cars out of the two car garage, strap on some sweet classic Mission skate, grasp a sweet Nike aluminum shaft and grab the tennis balls. Iron Maiden on obviously. I really need to join a league but I would prefer to do roller at this time and well, I mentioned I am in Oklahoma so...

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

I took a puck in the cage last game on a defensive clear. It would have been 10 teeth if I didn't have it. I will always wear a cage.

I think you mean "10 units of hockey street cred"

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
How about you ladies change your panties and just eat McDonald's :colbert:

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Sexy Randal posted:

I'm using black tape with the red dot sight. I have a million goals.

:laffo: :golfclap:

Third Edition posted:

Does anyone here smoke regularly during the season? I had my first game a few days ago and I was completely gassed by the first period. Part of that was that I was out of position and had to hustle to get back a few times. Will I get used to the pace in a couple of games or is it time to get rid of the coffin nails?

No, but I played on a team of guys from Tinker Air Force Base who almost all smoked. I was on the team because they needed an extra player one season, they sucked, I was in a lower league because I was 16 but really good at roller hockey I tell ya, so the league director moved me up to play with the "big boys". Well, the ones that smoked were across the board dying at the end of the period. It was pathetic. That is where my problem solving skills and caving to peer pressure came in. I am asthmatic and always brought by inhaler to games, not because of pending asthma attacks but just because my lowered lung capacity had me breathing like a smoker. So it helped my not heave for an hour straight. Once the guys started seeing me use it on the bench they told me they use one during PT sometimes to help them out. So naturally, here I am letting them use every game. Yep, as a 16 year old I was supplying PEDs to members of the Air Force :patriot:

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

sellouts posted:

why is anyone recommending that a guy who is in his second game start learning how to take slapshots?

Hey pal we ain't some drat euro sissies with sick wristers from the slot. Some dudes just need to drop bombs from the point to let the other team know how it is.

On another hand, for the 12 years I have played, I have always been the number one or two scorer on the team... not once have did I tally a goal a slap shot. Not even in practice.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Sash! posted:

I've got the skinny guy with a gut thing going on. If I went out skating right now, if I didn't fall down and got my confidence up, I could probably weave around the little kids for maybe a half hour before I would need to sit down for a minute. But I'd be pouring sweat, although I could chalk that up to wearing a full set of Underarmor. Then I crash into the board because I can't stop.

The expense doesn't really faze me at all. I've always wanted to be a pilot, own a motorcycle, and play hockey. This is easily the cheapest of the three. By entire decimal places.

Although maybe I'm starting down the path to destroying my other knee, like skiing did to the right one.

Welp, two things will turn you into an alcoholic. Recreational hockey and flight training. Not sure on the bike thing. They are also the best things on earth :):respek::smug:

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

D C posted:

I loved those things. I would walk into a sporting goods store and just marvel at the row of sexiness.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Hockles posted:

For people that do inline:

I just switched to new wheels, I brought my current bearings from the (now) old wheels to the new wheels. I wiped all the dirt/dust off the bearings and sprayed them with WD40 when swapping them out. Before I switched, all 8 wheels spun continuously for a few seconds. Now, 3 of the 8 wheels only spin for roughly a second. What could I have done to make them spin less? What should I do to get those wheels back to working how they did before I switched them?

Do not use WD40 on bearings. The times I did it it was a short term fix. Most bearings come with proper lube that will allow them to be smooth as butter. I would lube them up fairly often, more often than I should have probably. I occasionally rotated them also but that likely made little difference.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

poser posted:

Where can I buy this?

Get a cage and cut it. Better if you already own one. It gives better visibility than a visor and does not collect fog/ice spray. They own :colbert:

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
From an article on MLX skates:

"you can’t put it on from the front like other skates, you have to slip into it sideways."

I do not quite understand what this means. Those of you who have them, do you put them on any different than any other skate?

"What got Lemieux interested in the skate was the shoe-like fit and the fact that where he once went through as many as 15 or more pairs of skates in a season, he could put on the MLX skates and not worry about them for the entire winter."

How do you go through 15 pairs of skates in 82 games? That is a new pair every six games :iiam:
I don't care how strong of a skater or how big a guy is, new skates every six games is ridiculous if they are actually worn out in any way by then. Maybe his sponsor didn't like seeing scuffs on his skates during games.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/877855--cutting-edge-skate-gains-favour-with-nhlers

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

the last signal... posted:

A 16 year old kid from my city is in pretty bad shape after taking a puck to the neck while blocking a shot:

News Link

This was midget so they would have been wearing cages and neckguards. Sad stuff. :(

He died. Did he survive, and then the article was written while he was in the hospital before he passed? I ask because the link now clearly says he passed away.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

bytebark posted:

My team has two. From trains. A small one from a New York subway car for the regular season, and a massive three-chime diesel locomotive horn for the finals game (if - I mean when - we get into it). Both horns with hockey glove for size comparison. I can confirm, horns are pretty good for pissing off the competition.

:stare: That one on the right just looks dangerous to ears.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Acethomas posted:

To install those wooden extensions, do you heat the glue, put it in, heat the stick? Never done it before.

I always used a torch, you just have to be careful not to heat it up too much.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Has anyone else played with this yet?

Reebok Stick Selector

The best part is that for some models they give you blade equivalents for other players, so you're not necessarily stuck buying a Reebok stick.

Just did it and had Crosby talk to me. "The best for you is the 8K."

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Also, you will tip more pucks when listening to Iron Maiden.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Related: if you wear a tinted visor, just be aware that everyone thinks you look silly.

Tinted visors make pink laces look loving awesome.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

D C posted:

White gloves, pink laces, tinted visor, "that guy"

Also "tucks in jersey"

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Thufir posted:

There's a dude in my league with tinted visor, white gloves, and the other day I saw he had painted his stick white to match his gloves.

And the jersey: tuck or no tuck?

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Found this on my closet today :buddy:

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

This was briefly mentioned after it happened in the N/V thread but there were no details at the time (probably for the better) and I even used it as GDT title.

I think I am glad you posted it so we can all hear the happy ending:

"In their first game following the incident, Rogue Squadron passed the hat in the locker room to buy Bermingham a gift card for a sporting goods store. They heard he needed new gloves."

:allears: Hockey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Kekekela posted:

If you've got a history of ankle injuries/surgeries...would hockey be a really bad idea? I'm guessing rental skates would be an injury waiting to happen, but if you got some of the fancy thermonuclear ones is it still a dicey proposition?

Talk to Flyinglemur about this, I know he has gone through the same thing and could answer any questions.