Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

xzzy posted:

So I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to tape my stick from heel to toe, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it without getting huge wrinkles in the tape as I try to follow the bend in the stick. Is there some trick, or you just live with lovely looking tape?

My blade is getting pretty beat up, so I'm looking to protect it better.

Hockey tape? All the cool kids use these and listen to Dub Step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Awesome Animals posted:

Eww! Why! You're going to eat through that blade so fast! Plus, the rubber material is going to be hell in handling passes. A few of the kids I coach use it, I don't understand.

(I think you may be joking, but I don't know, so just go with it)

From pages ago but yeah, I was joking about the blade rubber sticker thing to replace tape.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
:supaburn:

I think I found a hockey buddy for stick and puck in OKLAHOMA

:supaburn:

Have not been this excited in a long while! BEWBIES, do you ever do SaP at Arctic Edge? I have no skates as of now so I will have to rent for a few weeks (I hear they have Bauers for rent?) and I need a new helmet but other than that I am ready to go.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Found some MLX skates on Ebay that I want. Does anyone have any first hand experience on the sizing? These are a 10 and I wear a 9.5 in shoes so I assume they are way too big?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Stock-MLX-Size-10-hockey-skates-/160860725107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25740bdf73

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Chemmy posted:

My shoe size is 8.5 and I wear a 7 skate. This is pretty normal.

Is this your first pair of hockey skates? Go to a brick and mortar store and let someone help you try them on.

First pair of ice skates in about 15 years :)

I have some Mission rollers in a size 9 and they fit snugly/perfect. I plan on going to a rink soon and trying some on but I know they don't have the MLX.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

bewbies posted:

I went to S&P there once. It was pretty crowded and there were some little kids in there so I really couldn't do a whole lot. I did let one shot go full speed and of course it hit the crossbar and when it came down it almost hit a kid. Sorry, kid.

I did go to a Saturday night one a while back and had the ice all to myself. That was pretty sweet. I doubt they're running that one with the back rink turned off right now.

As far as skates go, they just redid the pro shop there and it looks pretty solid. That might be a good place to start looking for some new wheels.

Also http://www.thestar.com/living/fashion/article/1243008--jeans-designed-for-hockey-player-s-builds

I have a case of hockey rear end. :(

Hockey jeans :stare: My girlfriends have always told me I have a big rear end. Normal otherwise, I now understand.

If you are interested (or don't already know) Star Skate in Norman has pickup roller hockey on Sundays from 8-10pm for $10. As soon as I get a helmet that fits I am going to start going. My garage just does not give ample room to play. Thanks for the other info as well :)

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Hey y'all, I am getting back into the Oklahoma roller hockey scene and while most all equipment I am comfortable ordering without physically touching and using it sticks are the one are I am iffy about. I am about 5'10" and 180 and have either have hands on the smaller side than others more likely I just prefer a smaller diameter shaft with fairly rounded edges. 10 years ago it was basically jr or sr aize/le goth sticks.

Now I see that there are intermediate sticks as well which seem to be a nice in between even if I have to put a small plug up top to gain an inch or two even though I prefer playing with really short sticks. Mainly for puck handling, more precise shooting (for me anyway), and the fact that I am purely an offensive player. I like the feel of a smaller shaft so much I even ordered a pair of Missions seemingly discontinued three finger grommett gloves off of EBay to give even better stick feel.

Is an intermediate stick the way to go in the opinion of SASers? I don't take slap shots except in the rarest of circumstances so any loss of power of fine. Also, I have always purchased shafts and blades separately but it seems the way to go is the composite one piece sticks now. What are the options of the SA hockey world who have not taken a 10 year hiatus from this amazing game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Thanks for the Feedback Henrik. Do you find that generally the shafts are of a smaller diameter/circumference with more rounded edges and all? I have an old two piece Nike shaft that is pretty rounded but works perfect for my style of play. I may even get an end plug for it to add about 1 1/2 inches and use it until I can try out some of the other guys' sticks.

Also I have been seeing the "unbranded" All Black hockey sticks which seem like a good idea if the quality of there.

These things: http://www.allblackhockeysticks.com