Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Acethomas posted:

Socal is actually pretty good, with 2 teams, 7 + rinks within 30 minutes of me in Torrance I have little complaints, for pro shops you have a lot of options. I like the new one in el segundo, Jake's. For used gear I use the play it again on 190th/Hawthorne, for other stuff I use hockeytron and hockey giant, both in the Anaheim area. I still get my skates done at the TSC in El Segundo though.

Jake's is an awesome proshop. He also does what I think is the best sharpening in the area. If you're choosing between hockey monkey and hockey giant, go with monkey. Their staff is way, way better. I've never dealt with hockeytron before, so I don't know what there is to say about that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
So, I'm moving from Los Angeles to Minneapolis for work and I'm gonna need to find new pick ups/ beer leagues. Anyone from the area have any recommendations on where/when to play? I both skate out and play goal so, really, I'm just looking for a friendly on-ice location or 5. I'm stoked to be going back to the north so I can get a lot more playing time in. Finding new places to play hockey sucks.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Aniki posted:

What skill level are you? There shouldn't be a shortage of places to play, but finding an appropriate league will be the big thing.

That's what I figured. I mean, it's Minnesota. There should be a poo poo ton of hockey. I'm ok by Los Angeles standards so I'm going to be looking for a pretty low level league up there, I'm assuming.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Green Submarine posted:

Pickup in the Cities is actually a huge pain in the rear end because demand is too high and sessions fill up quickly. You need to get to the rink way early to have a chance at a slot.

That said, the best value for regular pickup is November through March on the Roseville Oval. Five bucks for two hours of outdoor shinny. Gets pretty crowded in the weekends, but the weekday skates are great. Don't expect anything resembling a structured game, though.

Outside of Roseville, it depends where you'll be living. There are rinks all over the place, so call the one nearest you to get open hockey and league info. I'd actually recommend joining a league. Ironically, the Minnesota hockey community is difficult to break into. All the locals have been skating with the same 20 guys since they were 12 and aren't particularly receptive to outsiders. Not hostile, just insular.

That's what I was worried about. I really only started playing 2.5 years ago and that's been out in LA so I'm not really on the good end of things. Hopefully the fact that I also play in net will help me get some more ice time. I'm going to be working at the University of Minnesota and I'm looking to live in Uptown/ Seward/ North East... Hopefully I'll be able to play some IM hockey there, but since I'll be staff instead of a student we'll see how that works out. Thanks for the info. Hopefully knowing someone from the internet will help me break in elsewhere.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

zinc68 posted:

You'll be fine. There is literally so much open hockey in the cities that if you want, and know where to look, there are spots open every night of the week for you to play.

Sounds like you want to stay in N.E. Minneapolis, so you'll be right next to Victory Memorial Ice Arena which has 3 open hockey nights a week, and next to Northeast Arena which also has it a few nights a week.

Check out https://www.jmshockey.com and https://www.hockeyfinder.com Both are based in the Twin Cities and combined, will give you several skate opportunities a night, every day of the week.

This post owns. Thanks for all the information.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

sleepwalkers posted:

I'm just getting started in playing ice hockey, and the OP is great for someone like me.
I used to play inline a long time ago, and am just starting to a) learn how to skate and b) really play hockey. Only been to a few sticks and pucks and am now going to my second drop-in with a friend of mine (two hours for $8 ain't bad). So far, it's been tough to get ice time without subjecting myself to potentially running over or otherwise maiming little children.

I'm in the Detroit area (Novi, specifically), and I know there must be a ton of options for hockey. Is there a website (like the one just posted for Minneapolis) that has a list of drop-in and other opportunities to play? Or any goons who are in the area, too? I'm starting to get the itch to skate and/or play more than once a week. I'm ideally looking for something beginner-level, as I'm starting from scratch in learning how to maneuver myself on skates.

And I'm considering doing some drop-in inline to help myself learn to stick handle, as it's cheap and very close to me. Anyone either do this or have opinions on it?

I grew up in the area, but a bit further east. If you're willing to drive out to Fraser there's Great Lakes Sports City which is a 5-sheet complex.

http://www.glsportscity.com/

I've shamefully never skated there despite growing up ~2 miles from it but had a ton of friends play there growing up when it was still Fraser Hockey Land.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
A guy on one of my old man teams absolutely destroyed his knee Tuesday night. Stick near the skates, one guy goes one way, other guy goes the other... Ugh

He was laying flat on his stomach and his leg above the knee was pointed straight ahead and flat on the ice. Below/ including the knee was also laying flat on the ice... It was just turned 90 degrees. I've never heard a guy howl like he was. This was a new team where no one knew each other, too (we all signed up online and were randomly assigned to teams.) I hope he has either an ACL or MCL left, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

lizardking posted:

When I visit home I'll go to drop in at Wings stadium. Otherwise I just play at the cube for the most part.

With ya'll talking about the cube it makes me think of people playing hockey around the giant rotating cube behind the Union and how that should be in the middle of this make-believe rink. I'm sad I never played hockey while in A2.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

"Everyone else is doing it!"

The marketing speak suggests that compression shorts improve performance though I don't see how it's possible. Theory seems to be it keeps the muscles from cooling down or maybe it's magic. Realistically, I think all they do is help prevent chafing and sweat control.

And they show off your rear end which is probably why athletes like them, they're all a bunch of showboaters. :colbert:

I like 'em because it keeps my business in place instead of flopping around. Plus the chafe prevention is loving magic.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

D C posted:

Its impossible to find on Google Maps, I think its listed as Monkey Sports or something like that, 55 and McFadden.

Not sure if he still works there, shorter guy with darker skin named Bobby, can tell him you know Dane, he'll help you out, we played together for a long time.

Can also try Hockey Giant, which is in Anaheim near the Rinks, On Katella just underneath the 5.

Go to the hockey monkey instead of hockey giant if you can. The staff at hockey giant tends to be a lot worse and they give probably the worst skate sharpenings I've ever had.

If you can deal with a smaller selection I suggest going to Jake's Pro Shop in El Segundo. It's a few blocks from the Toyota Sports Center and I've had nothing but great experiences there. Jake sells a lot of Kings player skates and gives a drat good sharpening. It's one of the few places I miss re: playing hockey in LA.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

sellouts posted:

I actually wouldn't recommend going to Jake's as a new skater looking for skates. Their limited selection cannot be understated and their prices will not be that competitive. They didn't even have any of the Supreme line of Bauers there for me to try on when I was trying to fit my TotalOnes and they didn't have any CCM and about half the Grafs. Unsure about the rest.

Great place to support once you know what you want and with disposable stuff, but for skates and the variety of feet out there, I'd go to the place with the most selection and variety with price as a secondary reason.

You make some good points. I just like that Jake was nice enough to ship some of Trevor Lewis's skates out to me now that I live in Minneapolis (I also appreciate that Trevor Lewis is one of the only Kings with smallish feet and has an size 8.5 skate so it actually fits me).

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

Back in the fall, I bought skates. Then we had a non-winter so I never got in the mood to go out and skate much. I went exactly once. But now its really hot and the idea of being near ice appeals to me.

Obviously they need broken in, but they were murder on my feet. They feel fine on and when I tried skates on and so on. I plan on getting some in-soles. But what I'm curious about...I'm assuming part of the reason they hurt my arches is that my ankles and feet and such are, uh, weak from being a lazy slob for the better part of 15 years. Is there anything I can do exercise-wise to mitigate the part where my feet are killing me after a few minutes while breaking my skates in?

Of course, it also crossed my mind that maybe I made a bad decision in my selection of skates, but they did feel good when I tried them on!

They're always super comfortable until you start skating in them. Your first few hours in them will be hell on your arches. I find I get arch pain any time I take a break of even two weeks off the ice. Give them a few more sessions to see how your feet adapt to them. You'll be surprised at how after a few weeks (if you're skating at least once a week) your feet feel a hell of a lot better.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
Game 7 of my summer season is tonight. Maybe we can win? No way in hell.

We're currently being outshot 228-183 and outscored 33-12 on the season. We are really, really, really loving bad.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

trilljester posted:

Sounds like you guys are playing in the wrong division. Are there lower divisions you can move down to?

This is the team's normal level. It's also not my normal team as they decided to not play for the summer. Funny thing is, I'm the one playing a division up and I'm easily in the top half of the skaters on the team. They did decent in their winter season, too. Our goalie has given up a lot of really soft goals but that doesn't help explain being minus 40ish in shots over six games. I think that comes from regularly having a total of 10 people there while the other team brings 13 or so. We're old and we get tired.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Steve Yzerman was not a clean hockey player

I know. I mean, look at what he did to poor, helpless Chris Pronger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb_fmWpcbag

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I live in Minneapolis so I feel like I have no excuse to not play in this drat pond hockey thing. Now, to see if I can scrounge together a team.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
After 3 years my rbk 7k is finally dead. Anyone have any favorite places to buy sticks from that won't set me back $200?

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I popped my helmet off on the bench this morning to change jerseys and go from light to dark in pick up. I was reminded to never to take your helmet off by a puck flying up into the bench and hitting me square in the cheek. I am never going under a full cage as had I had a half-shield or less as neither would have stopped this drat puck. Also, thank god it wasn't my eye or mouth. Instead of losing vision/ teeth I just have a sore face.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

D C posted:

How did he get hit? Seems pretty hosed up, also gear doesn't mean you wont break your arm when you fall, Only bone I've ever broken I was wearing full gear, AND a cage, so maybe...

You were wearing a cage? I assume that means you got a concussion, too.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
My winter league team is apparently going to roster a full 18 skaters. Goddamnit. I'm not excited to get 4 shifts/ period. It may be time to find a new team with people who don't show up!

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I severely dislike people who stick out their knees as you skate past them.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
What's the point of scoring goals if you're not gonna celly?

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
This is still the best celly ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSsE8gYO2hU

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I prefer to keep my gloves on and bump knuckles in the handshake line as my hands are absolutely loving gnarly after playing and I don't think other people deserve to have to deal with that after playing a hockey game. Plus, other people's hands are nasty too.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

sellouts posted:

Wearing shorts to games in January is p. awesome.

I did that when I lived in LA and I did it this past winter in Minneapolis. I'm not very smart.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
Played in a tournament this weekend. Won on Friday 4-3 and tied our 2 Saturday games 0-0 and 1-1. Because it was a small, multi-level tourney that was enough to get us to the Sunday final. We won 2-1. It was super fun.

I should note that I missed the first two periods of Friday's game. They scored all 4 goals before I arrived. In 2 periods without me they scored 4 goals. In 10 periods with me we scored 3 goals. It looks like I'm bad for my team's offense!

Can't wait for our winter season to start. The end of October can't get here soon enough.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

I'm road tripping from Chicago up to the International Falls area next week for work.

Everyone says Minnesota is hockey crazy, are there any amazing stores or hockey related places I should stop in if I get time? Anyone around here actually live in Minnesota?

I'm in Minneapolis and while I haven't noticed any crazy stores or anything like that but there are rinks friggen everywhere. In the adult league I play in we had games in at least 7 or 8 different buildings. These are all within about 20 minutes or so of each other. The amount of ice around the Twin Cities is ridiculous.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
Got hit from behind and took a header into the boards on Sunday night. The ref didn't blow a whistle while I was lying prone on the ice for a good 10-20 seconds. My teamates said the other ref was pointing at me and the one closest to me just kept making a "play on" signal. When he finally blew the whistle he skated up to me and just said "you did it to yourself". No, "hey man, saw you hit your head into the boards and your neck bend in a real funky way, are you alright." Nope. I'm 99% sure I took a hit before hitting my head, but, with hitting my head and all, the moments around that time aren't exactly crystal clear. Lord I love refs sometimes.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I'm fine with him not calling boarding or checking from behind on it. The guy who went into the boards with me was laying on top of me asking if I was alright (with my response being "I don't know" as I really didn't at the time.) After the game I asked the ref about the incident and he said he saw me notice the guy was coming so I put my head down and let him drive it into the boards. I would hope I didn't actually do that as I really have no interest in being paralyzed to try and draw a penalty or something, but he indicated that he definitely saw me go head first into the boards. I probably did do something stupid knowing my general skill level, but knowing that he saw me go headfirst into the board and not asking if I was alright before basically accusing me of diving rubbed me the wrong way. I'd just like to know that the refs really are looking out for our well being, seeing as we're all old and terrible at hockey in my league.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

This sentence would end my conversation with the official and start one with the league manager guy.

That sentence was the one that led me to get a 10 minute misconduct without cussing. It was immature and I wouldn't do it again, if I had the chance to go back, but he knew what to say to really get the old anger flowing after the game.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I do know not to put my head down in those situations and have seen some people take some really rough hits because of doing it. I hope I didn't do it, but I can't say for certain that I didn't. It's just such a quick sequence of events of heading into the corner --> oh gently caress me what's happening it hurts --> on the ice. I was just really happy at the end that I could move all of my limbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I just moved away from Minneapolis so I'm sad about losing all my hockey buddies. Luckily, I winded up in Ann Arbor so I should be able to find pick up/ leagues/ etc relatively easily!