Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Yeet posted:

I do hail from Rolling Meadows :smug: which is close to Downer's Grove. Does roller hockey (goalie) gear differ much from ice?

You can use ice gear for inline and if you play on a surface like sports court or wood, then it shouldn't be too hard on your gear. If you are playing on a rougher surface like ashphalt, a concrete basketball court, or a tennis court, then you will want to use cheaper pads and possibly cover inside of the pads with duct tape to help limit wear.

Typically for inline, you can get away with cheaper and lighter gear, since protection isn't as big of a concern and inline can be harsh on pads. If you play on a nice surface like sportscourt and intend on playing ice within the next 6-months to a year, then you can look into getting a little nicer gear, but I'd probably start out with used or SR level gear in your case.

As for skates, there are inline goalie skates, which I would recommend, since they have a protective cowling and they are lower to the ground than player skates. I know some inline goalies like player skates, since they feel that they can skate better, but I never had issues skating with inline goalie skates.

If you stop by the goalie thread and give us an idea of your budget and size, we can give you more specific recommendations on gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Tadhg posted:

It's been forever since I've played hockey, and I've really missed it. I've daydreamed about joining a local adult league more than a few times in recent years, but it's always felt like too much :effort: to get back in shape, buy new gear, etc. Plus, SoCal doesn't have the same hockey culture that I was used to back in Boston.

But, seeing this thread brought my enthusiasm back. :dance:

The gf thinks it'll be fun for me to get back into, though we'll see what she thinks of it once I start coming home smelling like hockey.

Anybody have recommendations for good proshops in the Los Angeles area?

There is Monkey Sports in Santa Ana. It's run by the same people who run the Hockey Monkey and Goalie Monkey websites, so you should be able to get just about anything you need from there.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

bigmike posted:

Anyone have an opinion on helmets regarding concussions? There have been a wave of players who have been wearing the Cascade M11 after coming back from concussions but I've heard skeptics abound regarding their research. Their helmets are designed to be ultra-flexible (you can almost bend them in half with your hands) rather than stiff like most helmets. I've heard opinions where those are only beneficial for big hits from NHL players. It's a relatively new helmet so there isn't really a lot of data, empirical or otherwise. I'm considering that or the Bauer 9900 which is the more traditional helmet.

I've had a few hockey related concussions and recently took a very bad one from a hiking accident. Almost any hit to the head causes concussion symptoms for me now so I don't even know if a helmet really is going to make a difference.

I've heard that some pros with concussion problems will use bicycle foam in their helmets. It does a good job of absorbing energy, but it does so at the cost of destroying the foam. NHL players can afford to do this, but it probably isn't realistic for a beer leaguer. You could possibly contact Phil Maltese and see what he thinks about outfitting a player helmet with his gel padding.

What materials are players helmets made out of these days? Are they still using ABS (platic) or is there anyone using kevlar or carbon fibre? I know that the type of impacts that goalies take to the mask are different than what players experience, so I don't know if you would want an ultra rigid and strong helmet that deflects impacts or if a more flexible helmet designed to compress and absorb the impact would be better.

Is there any such thing as a custom helmet maker? The closest I've seen is a guy that recreates the old SK2000 masks, but using kevlar and carbon fibre.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 21, 2011

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

You will learn to love goalie skates. Your balance is all off as goalie in stance when wearing regular skates. Also, your shuffles and explosive movements are better in them.

Goalie skates also have protective cowlings, so you won't break your foot when a puck hits your skate.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

WouldDesk posted:

Got the last pair :dance:

No, I did not. As far as gloves, I have always had Mission brand really and my last pair that fit perfect were the 3 finger design, plus thumb. So the thumb, pointer, and middle finger were separate but ring and pinker shared a slot. I can not find these anywhere. It is one of those weird concepts that most hate but I have smaller hands and for some reason they offer more control. The pair I still have are a bit small and the palms are worn beyond belief. Any ideas?

edit: they were mainly youth models so I doubt anything much is available now.

Someone is going to yiff those things.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I've used the Easton skate socks for a while and I've recently got a pair of the newer Bauer socks. Both are thin durable socks and the only time that I ever buy new socks are when I'm a dolt and forget my socks or realize that I only brought one with me. Needless to say, I 3-4 pairs of skate socks now. :( I will say that I've grown to like the longer socks, which is odd, because I prefer shorter socks for everything else.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

El Nam posted:

I have come to ask a crucial question!!!

Vapor X40's for $220, which are brand new, or a pair of lightly used, X50's for $280?
According to the seller, the X50's are "Rarely Used; used less than five times on-ice; only sharpened once", and is in "Excellent Condition. Minor surface scratches and scuffs".

I play casually, maybe once or twice a week, but I definitely do need new skates.

What's the best choice here?

Did he have the skates heatmolded?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

I wasn't referring to the specific case when you misjudge the puck. I'm talking about a level that you don't notice.

Let's say it takes you an extra half-second to find the puck. That's an extra half-second of "quiet eye" period that you've lost and accordingly, your reaction to the puck will be slower. You aren't going to say to yourself "drat, it took me an extra half-second to find that puck on that player's black tape." You're going to say "drat, that's in the net."

Basically, I'm saying that it could be messing with your head in such a subtle way (but substantial) that you have no idea it's messing with your head.

This is kind of like the argument that white pads make it harder for shooters to find gaps or that black pads get you quicker whistles. Tape color probably has some sort of effect on the goalie's ability to track pucks off of the stick, but I'd be surprised if the effect was statistically significant. I could see how a reflective surface on the stick blade could distract your eye, but when I'm focusing on watching the puck, I don't think that I've ever really consciously noticed the color of the tape on the shooters blade. The puck is typically in front of the blade and the only important information about the blade is its angle and what part of the blade the puck the shot comes off of.

One thing that I will say works are white pucks. They are very difficult to track and they have a tendency to appear suddenly and give you very little time to react. I really like using them for training, though it's been quite a while since I last did that.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

See, it's brought up that "consciously," it's never a problem. But you can't rule out that it is causing some real and effective subconscious problems for you.

I would also be surprised if the effect was statistically significant, but that doesn't mean it isn't significant to performance. Statistical significance is separate from real life significance. Plus, statistical significance applies only to a set of data in an experiment, not to a real life effect. Do something enough, and you can get statistical significance. What's important is that nobody's done the work, so who are we to say it's not significant in any way?

The position of the puck and the what part of the blade the puck is shot from are important, but are hardly the only important information. Research suggests that giving your eye more time to settle and focus on the puck is very important, too. "Quiet Eye," they call it. If the black-on-black motif delays your ability to focus on the puck (quite feasible) after puck movement or if the player holds the puck behind his blade, it can impact your performance.

Just because you aren't conscious of black tape's potential effect on goaltender performance doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And just because the effect may be small doesn't mean it isn't putting pucks behind you.

Not an exhaustive lit review by any means, but here's this on the quiet eye:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=goalie+quiet+eye&nfpr=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=ws

It is difficult to seperate what your mind consciously and subconsciously processes, but I do feel that in cases where I've tracked the puck for a while ("quiet eye" scenarios) that I am watching the puck first, so something like the color of the tape really isn't going to break my focus at that point. Now if it's a quick shot like a one-timer or I lose track of the puck and pick it up again at the last second, then I could see that as a scenario where it would be easier to get confused. That being said, I don't know which would be harder to track, a white blade against a white surface or a black puck against a black blade? I could see both having advantages at times, but I really don't know if one color is really harder to track the puck off of than the other?

Anecdotally, I've noticed that a lot of the guys that used to play Juniors or above like to tape their entire blades, including the end of their blade, white. Now are their shots harder to track because they have white tape on their blades and there isn't that constrast of the end of the blade to allow your mind to fill in the gaps or are their shots harder to track, because they are more skilled players and they do a better job of disguising their shots?

There are a lot of factors to tracking pucks, I brought up the angle of the blade and where the puck leaves the stick, since they both directly related to the stick blade. However, the angle of the shooter's shoulders, their posture, where the puck is in relation to their body at the time of the shot, whether they are looking forward or down, what type of shot they select, and many other factors contribute to how well you track or estimate the position of the puck. As you well know, tracking the puck is a complex skill and it's hard to isolate one factor like stick tape color and determine whether it has an absolute advantage.

The goalie boards are full of endless threads talking about pad colors and patterns that supposedly create optical illusions and at least the consensus over there is that your own level of talent is a much bigger factor than any optical illusion. Maybe there are instances where a particular color or pattern make it harder for a shooter to find a gap, but it's doubtful that it is a big enough effect for it to make a difference over a long period of time. That being said, there are some pretty hilarious things people have tried, like the Stomp pads with the netting on the face or Fleury's insistance that yellow pads make it easier for shooters to find gaps, which if I remember correctly was based off of some sketchy science.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 26, 2011

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think that this would actually be quite easy to test. Well, in terms of developing methodology. The technology and testing techniques are all there and have been used before. I can't imagine the funding would be there, though.

Goalies conducting thought experiments and self-reporting anecdotal evidence, while interesting and (marginally) useful, isn't nearly enough for people to conclusively say the tape color doesn't matter. Maybe it's true, but the support is highly lacking. I guess I just find it interesting that people think that they don't notice an effect of tape color, so it must not have an effect.

I'll admit that anecdotal evidence is much of what we have to go on and I've definitely made decisions based on it. I painted my goal stick white after losing a puck under the black paddle and it squirted out backside and the enemy put it in the net. (Also, I just sorta wanted to paint my stick.) That's fine. I think the important part is keeping it in perspective and remembering that this is a simply a story told by a human being with flawed perception, imperfect memory, recall bias, etc.. It should not be taken as gospel.

I'm gonna keep using black on my player stick because that's what's on it now and it's nice and waxed. And I think that it does give me an advantage, even if it's small and infrequent. Once that's done for, I might go crazy and use the American flag tape I got for Easter. AMERICA!!

There's always the placebo effect. If you feel that black tape makes your shot harder to track and it gives you confidence, then maybe that results in better performance. However, I agree that until someone produces or finds a study on the subject, then we aren't going to go far with anecdotal data. We all have our suspicisions of whether it has an effect or not, but the plural of anecdotes is not data.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

I guess I can understand having a lapse, or maybe having a mistake in communication where both D go behind the net. This guy, does not do that. He doesn't even entertain the notion of covering the front of the net. He just follows the puck. At all times.

I talked to him on the bench. "So, you normally play defense, right? Well, we're leaving a lot of guys open in front of the net, so let's make sure we stay on that, ok?"

HA. No.

There's this other d-man on a team I sub for in net. He glides to every puck he's collecting in our zone. Inevitably, there's a forechecker, so he's rushed, so he just shoots the puck out of the zone as hard as he can. Hustle a little bit and give yourself time to make a good pass? Can't be bothered.

Another guy on that team who used to play D with my current team and moved up a league (to the team I sub for in net). Laziest mo-fo ever. Glides to every puck, like the guy above, but this guy doesn't even make sure he has enough to get it out of the zone. I saw him once glide to the puck, get there a split second before a forechecker, and just barely manage to limply "pass" it to his partner with one hand on his stick.

Dude never skated hard unless he had the puck. He'd get by a few forwards and inevitably lose the puck at the blue line trying to get by the D. Then it was back to gliding. He always took long shifts, too. We thought maybe he was just tired of playing defense, but he asked to play defense when he moved up, too, so I don't know.

OK, end of d-man horror stories.

At least the one guy has the presence of mind to clear the puck out of the zone. Does he try to keep the puck near the glass/boards or does he clear it down the middle of the ice? My personal favorite are the guys that get the puck and immediately make the blind cross ice pass, which is inevitably is intercepted right in front of the crease and puts you in a horrible situation. That's right up there with your D-man holding his stick off the ice and having it deflect off of his stick and into the net.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

zinc68 posted:

I present to you my beer league arena.

The middle part is a rotunda that has viewing for all four rinks with a full service restaurant with beers. Oh yeah, there are also 8 more rinks down the hallway not shown, and 4 more being built right now. The US National Women's team uses the A league beer teams as practice which is pretty drat cool in-itself.

This isn't even the only arena in the town. Sometimes Minnesota can be awesome. Sometimes..

I need to go by there the next time I'm back in Minnesota. It's kind of nuts to think that there is one facility in Blaine that has more sheets of ice than Phoenix. Phoenix has 10 sheets of ice (excluding pro arenas and inline), which is decent compared to a lot of places. As a goalie, I wonder about the logistics of getting your gear all the way to the back of the facility. Are there multiple entrances, do they have carts, or do you just tough it out or get a wheeled bag?

I really need to bring my gear, play at some different rinks around town and just see how different the talent level is up there.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Funkutron5000 posted:

So, I'm moving from Los Angeles to Minneapolis for work and I'm gonna need to find new pick ups/ beer leagues. Anyone from the area have any recommendations on where/when to play? I both skate out and play goal so, really, I'm just looking for a friendly on-ice location or 5. I'm stoked to be going back to the north so I can get a lot more playing time in. Finding new places to play hockey sucks.

What skill level are you? There shouldn't be a shortage of places to play, but finding an appropriate league will be the big thing.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

bewbies posted:

I do two of these a week, I helped to organize one. One is pretty much just a pure pickup game, the other has a ref, etc. Both average between 15 and 20 guys per session, which is the ideal number in my opinion. Some things to keep in mind:

1) Goalies are critical. If you don't have goalies, people simply will not come back as it makes a huge difference in how much fun it is. At both of the pickups I play we have goalies who are as reliable as anyone could ever be, and it helps a lot with the week to week consistency. They also have several backup guys who are on call and who fill in if they can't make it. We've never had a skate where we didn't have two goalies.

2) Get the skill level right. Decide what level you're shooting for, and try and "recruit" guys only around said level. This is for pretty obvious reasons.

3) Try and make it by invite only, and don't be afraid to disinvite douchebags. This allows you to have pretty active control over douches, who can instantly make things like this very unfun for everyone.

4) Try and make the time and location as consistent as possible; Thursday nights are probably the best night for this sort of thing in my opinion. Stay away from weekends if at all possible.

5) Try and get a core group of guys to provide up-front funding. We had about 10 or so guy who each fronted $400, and then we charge non-core guys $10-15 a session. Any additional money had at the end of the session could either be put to the next session or refunded. We got about $200 back a piece which we then folded into our current session; it saved us a lot of money and meant that we didn't have to worry about having enough cash week to week. It also meant that we all had an interest in recruiting new guys, which helped to make the numbers grow.

6) Get a good communication system set up. If you're wanting to run the thing, make sure you have a good email and phone for everyone who plays regularly, communicate stuff through email and text message. For the first several months, send out a reminder of the skate before each one; after that make sure you keep everyone abreast of any schedule changes.

7) Try and get the last slot of the day if it isn't too late. Both of our skates start at 9, which means that we're the last group to have the ice each day. This means first that you're not going to be crunched for time by another group after you; it also means that the guy running the rink will probably be a teenager left there by the owner to lock up and he'll never tell you to leave, so you can stay as late as you want.

Other things are kind of obvious: keep the teams as even as possible, explain the rules up front to everyone, keep careful track of the money, etc etc.

Depending how organized you want to be, you can make it work with different skill levels. A popular format out here is each team will have an A-line and B-line. The A-line will consist of the good players and the B-line is everyone else, they keep to strict 2-minute shifts and it ensures that the skaters get plenty of ice time and play against a similar level of talent. Try your best to keep the teams as balanced as possible, because it's not nearly as fun when one team is clearly stacked. Also, it's not a bad idea to try and get someone's friend or girlfriend to run the scoreboard.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Aggro posted:

Wow, that is extremely organized. The pickup here in Miami is Tuesday and Thursday from 10:15 - midnight. The rink makes sure there are goalies, and up to 20 skaters pay $15 each to play. The players divide themselves up and play, with each shift being as long as the player wants it to be. Skill level is completely disregarded, although occasionally players will switch sides if it's horribly unbalanced. I yearn for pick-up as well-organized as what bewbies described.

Open Hockey organized by rinks are almost always like this. It's fine for the most part, but sometimes the teams get heavily unbalanced, so as a goalie you can play awesome against one side and then get shelled when you switched sides. I don't mind having the challenge, but balanced games are more fun.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Sexy Randal posted:

Is blocking shots frowned up in rec hockey?

Nobody really seems to do it my league, though I play in the lowest div so that may be a factor. I did it once covering the point and I guess the defenceman kind of looked at me confused and half-assed the shot as to not kill me.

I got the vibe afterward that blocking shots is a bit ungentlemanly at this level, though I'm not sure why (take the shot, if I get hurt it's my own fault for being stupid).

There's nothing wrong with blocking shots, some guys may think that you're trying too hard and ask if you saw scouts in the stands, but really if you have an opportunity to block a shot and it's something you are comfortable doing, then I don't see a problem with it. I normally only see guys do it during critical situations, but if you can do it and you don't take yourself out of the play, then it shouldn't be a big deal.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

It's The RecZone (Raleigh, NC, if you need it). I don't have any more details other than what the program instructors there have given us, unfortunately. Supposedly some potential buyers were scoping the rink out today but I haven't heard anything about how that went. I've got a scrimmage/learn-to-play over there tomorrow night so with any luck we'll get more info then.

If they do find a buyer, I hope whoever the new owner is gets a new website going (the current one is seriously some of the worst web design you'd ever want to see).

Speaking of the RecZone, this guy apparently plays there.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

cenzo posted:

I was hoping to actually pull some kind of ninja effort like find out what I like in the store then take that knowledge to the net to try and find it cheaper than the marked up pro shop.

I don't think that's a terrible breach of etiquette but please let me know if I'm wrong.

It's not a breach of etiquette, they may not get that sale from you, but if they are helpful, then you are likely to return as a customer in the future. That being said, see if they are willing to match or beat the online price. As others have said, if you buy the skates locally, then they'll likely throw in a free profiling, initial sharpening, and baking. You'll usually get a discount on sharpening if you bring your skates back to the same shop. Though if you order skates online from a place that has a real store, then you can have them do the initial sharpening and profiling.

I'm not sure how it is with player skates, but the footbeds that normally come with skates are pretty lovely, so it may be worth it to invest in Yellow Superfeet or another footbed that you find comfortable. Also, when you bake the skates make sure to wear the socks that you intend to play in (the Easton and Bauer socks are both fine) and ideally if you get Superfeet or something else, then put those in the skates for the initial baking.

Edit: Finding a skate that fits your foot and is comfortable is much more important than buying a great skate that doesn't fit well. If you order online, do your best to try on that same skate locally. I did that with my Grafs and it worked out well for me.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 25, 2011

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

D C posted:

Hooray. Memorial weekend hockey tourney in Scottsdale. Probably going to get beat handily but I'm just glad I was able to make it.

Wish me luck

Ohh and I got a Warrior Widow, first time I've tried a warrior stick but it feels nice, also it's the perfect height without adding a butt end.

That's why there is no ice time in Phoenix this weekend. How is that tournament anyway?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

bewbies posted:

I just started playing roller hockey and it feels nothing like ice to me. The concept of "edges" doesn't really seem to exist. Also it seems like at least once a game a puck winds up in a spot where no one can stop fast enough to get to it, so you just have 3-4 guys skating in circles around it for a few seconds. This never fails to make me laugh.

In related news I literally just discovered synthetic ice existed yesterday. Has anyone ever skated on the stuff? Is there any chance it will replace the real thing and some point down the line? I would have given a nut to have this in my basement as a kid, even at $10/sqft.

It's been around for a while now and while the technology is getting better, you still need to work harder to skate the same distance that you would on ice. Some places are switching to it, because it is cheaper to maintain than ice, but I wouldn't want to use it for anything other than practice.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

I have heard that synthetic ice is bad for your blades. Skating on it really heats up quick or something like that.

I know that you need to sharpen your blades more frequently if you play on synthetic ice.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

Inline or not this should never happen. My roller league calls the game if a team goes up by 8.

With inline 8 goals isn't an unsurmountable lead, especially if they score those goals early.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

bewbies posted:

At pickup last night some dildo took a chest-high cannon blast from the point when there were at least 6 people in front of the net. Not only is it not going to get through, but you're going to hurt someone. I yelled at him as did a couple of his teammates.

One thing that I've always wondered is why do skaters play without shoulder pads/upper body protection while playing pickup? Is the padding really that annoying/warm or is the perceived danger of not wearing padding during pickup seem less likely to some guys?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
If a peg board is too much effort, then you can get a cheap plastic shelving unit from Home Depot and use that to air out your gear. It works really well for airing out and drying my goalie gear:

I wish people would air out their gear instead of letting it ferment a hockey bag in the back of their car. Most gear smell isn't bad enough to notice, but some guys' gear have this massive, peppery smelling dead hobo funk that makes my eyes water. Maybe it's a tactical advantage, but for the benefit of everyone else on the ice, make an effort to air out your gear and keep it dry in between games.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

I think the lesson learned here is that when scouting out a new home, pick one that's as close as possible to a pro team practice facility.

The Ice Den is the nicest rink and Phoenix and it's the Coyotes practice facility, so that holds true here.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

toxicsunset posted:

I don't get the hatred for ringers some people have. The games don't really mean anything and while a team chock-full of them can be pretty lame, I have a couple of friends of mine that play on the low level teams with me that could easily play up higher but they'd rather play with their friends than play on a higher level team with strangers. It's not always about dominating easy competition

My feelings are kind of mixed on ringers. As a goalie, it's more interesting to face better shooters and I can totally understand someone wanting to play with their friends. That being said, it is annoying when you face a team taht is deadset on winning the beer league championship and all of a sudden you notice a lot of players that you've never seen before. I guess that my preference is that if you have a ringer, then always have them on your team, but if they magically appear down the stretch or during the playoffs, then it's a lovely thing to do. Try to keep your league as balanced as possible, so that it's fun for everyone.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Are there any skate laces on the market that either have a metal sleeve at the end of the lace or at least has a plastic sleeve that doesn't break after a couple of weeks? I've just been using the standard waxed A&R (?) laces and I'm sick of the sleeve breaking and rendering the laces useless.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Do you pull your laces out completely? I haven't had any sleeves AGLETS on the end of my laces for years because I trim my laces to fit, but I leave enough slack to loosen my skates without actually pulling them through any holes.

I also cut the end into a trapezoid and melt the frayed tip so in the odd case where I do pull them through they're pretty easy to put back in.

I looked up the word last week, but aglet had already fled from my vocabulary. :( I usually pull the laces out from the first two rows of eyelets and then thread them through when I put my skates back on. I'll try cutting the end and see if I can thread them through again. I normally haven't had problems with this, but I've killed two sets of laces in the past few months and my set before that lasted well over a year.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Hint: If you melt your laces, don't let the hot plastic drip onto your finger :downs:

This ought to be common sense but I was picking plastic bits out of an open wound for the next hour after I did it.

Hooray :downs:

I may just get new laces and try not to gently caress them up this time. I just don't trust myself with things like fire and molten plastic. I'd be such a terrible junkie.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Those are all good tips. I ended up buying some laces with molded tips, the only one's that they had in my size were red, so they should last forever, because they look awful.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

Yes, metal aglets on skate laces do exist. Gorilla Laces.

I looked for those when I was at the hockey ahop today, but they didn't have them. I ended up buying a brand called Howies, they were unwaxed, but had a molded tip, which doesn't seem prone to breaking like the plastic aglets did. I'm now 1-0 wearing the clown colored skate laces.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Verman posted:

Sean skinner. That dude has amazing hands and his "Stick handling Beyond belief" videos are pretty interesting. Lots of terrible music and stuff but great technique and practice drills.

Speaking of stick handling videos, I filled in net for one of Brad Perry's skill sessions the other night. The dude is an amazing stick handler and he seemed to be a really good teacher.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Verman posted:

Just substitute it with an Al's Italian beef + provalone and hot gardinera

Besides, Chicago is awesome as long as its sunny. The winter sucks but other than that its awesome.

We used to have an Al's Italian Beef in Scottsdale, but it closed recently. They had really good polish sausage. :(

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I'm the captain of a new team at a rink by my house. Do any of you guys have experience running a team before and do you know what sort of problems I should expect? At least I'm a goalie, so I don't need to worry about that part, but I assume the duties will be coming up with lines and making sure that people show up. I also need to come up with team colors and a name. I'm leaning towards something like the Plague Doctors or the Thylacines, but I'm weird and just found out about this an hour ago. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions for team names.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

poser posted:

Last season was my first running a team:

People will bail on the team; I had 9 people say they would play and then drop out before the season started
We had 2 people pay and then quit
We had one person join the team, no show the first game and then it took me a week of emailing him daily to find out he quit
So make sure you get good people..

People will complain about everything
Our league has games on random days
Game on Saturday night? Why do we have to give up our sat night
Game at 10 on Tuesday? Why do we have a game so late on a Tuesday

Make sure you have something set up for people to let you know if there are showing up
My league has this thing called hockeyvite(someone stole evites code and made it awesome) and you can say YES NO OR MAYBE if you're going to make it.. still even then people will not tell you they cant make it.

So then you will get a sub so you have a even amount of players, someone will no show and screw the lines up and then people will complain about uneven lines/playing time

Stress a million billion times that you dont give a poo poo if they miss games but they need to tell you

Build a sub list so you have people to contact if you're short..
When we first started my list was like 2 people.. now I know about 10 people I can contact if I'm short

Jerseys... I would wait out the season if your league allows to see how many will stick around. We had 4 people leave the team but we built a core of people so we are getting jerseys this season

You will get new teammates and he will bug you to go grab a beer, make fun of the place you choose and then bail on you to make cheese

I play forward so I notice more stuff with them and build the lines with them. My good friend plays D so he "runs" the D for me so its one less thing to worry about

Find someone you can trust to "run" things when you're gone.. in my league we have to bring pucks and a roster so if I miss a game I need someone I can trust to bring that stuff

Make sure you have the time for all this crap.. I got a job that allows me to spend time on doing stupid poo poo for the team so I don't waste tons of personal time..

I’m expecting that people will bail and to a certain extent, I’m ok with that, since it means that I can begin putting my own people on the team. For now, the league director is recruiting the players and only giving me the info for people who have already paid, so I need to wait for him to finish acquiring players. As you said, I’m hoping that we can find a core group of guys out of that group and I’ll definitely need to find an alternate/assistant captain that wants to handle talking to players on the bench and dealing with refs. I can probably get a handle on lines after a couple games, but I see the game differently from the crease than they do on the ice, so I’d like to have a player handle lines and I’d just provide some input.

I like the idea of using the hockeyvite system and I’ll use something like that along with emails and a team facebook page to try and make sure that people know when the games are. I’ll definitely stress that I don’t care if people need to miss games, but please let know ahead of time, so that I can make sure that we have enough people and find subs. At least I don’t have to worry about finding a goalie that shows up, so I have that part settled and I know people who could sub if I can’t make it.

The league does have jerseys that we can use, so we’ll start off wearing those and I’m seeing if anyone is willing to sponsor the team or front money for the jerseys, so we’ll see what happens with that. I’m fine waiting until the second season to get real jerseys, but I’m still trying to get ideas on pricing. I do know that I want the logo and numbers to be sewn on, since screen printed and heat pressed logos and numbers go to poo poo pretty fast. We will have issues with weird game times for the first half of the season, but once the third rink opens up, then the schedule should get better.

I’m going to start working on a sublist soon. I’m checking with some people that I know who run teams at another rink to see if I can ask their players to sub or play in our league, since it wouldn’t conflict with their league, but I’m asking first since I don’t want to cause drama.

I’ll need to get a puck bag and some pucks. Would I want to have about 10-15 pucks? I’ll need to see if we are required to bring a roster or not.
I should have time to run things and people are happy with doing most of the communication online, then that makes things a lot easier for me.

I think the second season is when roster issues will get really annoying, since for now I don’t have to worry about players paying and telling people that they can’t come back. Hopefully, we won’t need to do the latter, but we’ll see if any jerks or deadbeats emerge.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I just purchased a puck bag and 15 pucks for my team. Is there anything else that I need to bring as a captain? I know that the captain for the other team that I play on always brings a first aid kit with aspirin and antacid tablets, so I assume that I should bring something similar.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

9/11 Never Forget

:cry:

e: I hope that's not obscenely huge. I did it from my phone...

How long have you had it for?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Almost all of Warrior's blades look like they were designed by Ed Hardy. Thank god for stick tape.

Warrior designs all of their gear to appeal to douchey 13-year olds, but some of their equipment is still good. I'm interested to see if Pete Smith will make their goalie gear worthwhile.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

poser posted:

I'm already over this season..

On the team I run I hosed up the league fees when I did the roster.. I explained to our goalie that he had to pay more.. he was cool with it but when it was time he couldnt afford to pay a full share and I got stuck paying for half his season.

On another team I play PT with not everyone paid in time so I got stuck paying an extra $30.

So I paid $1135 for 1.5 seasons of hockey:smith:

Eek. I'm definitely not going to do group pay with my team, when our second season roles around, I'm just going to make everyone pay the rink directly. It may cost a little more per player, but it seems like it would save me from some major headaches/expenses.

I'm doing ok being a captain so far, people are being good about telling when they won't be able to make games, but I'm still waiting to see who will step up and be my assistant captain, since it's hard for me to handle the on ice duties from the net. I'm sure as the season wears on, it will be harder to keep track of everyone and we'll start getting some unannounced no shows.

We also have one guy on the team that is bringing jerseys next week, so I should have a good idea by then if they'll work for us or if we still want to get our own jerseys. It does seem like most of the guys want new uniforms though and I've got the pricing down to about $50 each for RBK edge jerseys with a sewn on logo and numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I know there is an ice rink out there, since there is supposed to be a huge tournament right around the end of September.