Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Dangerllama posted:

Are you should be playing hockey if you're due in October?

If a puck to the stomach takes the baby out, then he was never meant to be a hockey player anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

El Nam posted:

Forgot to post this. Happened this year to my team mate. He was diving to block a puck, but one of the guys on the other team tried to jump over him, with his skate landing at the spot where the elbow pad ends, before the glove starts.

Not pretty.

Makes me glad I bought a neck guard. It's a rare problem, but with all the equipment I wear, I can sometimes forget how dangerous skates are.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I've posted this before, but I just use a plastic shelving unit from Home Depot. It has slots cut out in the shelves which promote airflow, it's big enough for me to lay all of my gear out, and I'm in Arizona, so humidity really isn't an issue for most of the year.

It works well for me, since everything dries quickly, and it's a lot harder to forget equipment when I routinely keep everything in the same place.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

Aren't all hockey blades bigger than a puck? If a hole is sized so a puck can't get through, how would a stick get through?

I was bringing up goalie masks more as inspiration for improving skater masks, rather than altering goalie mask design. Unless they start adding more padding and thickness to goalie masks, I'm not sure there's much more to be done to improve it.

The butt of the stick and the tip of the blade can potentially fit through a cateye, though it's very unlikely. As for improving goalie masks, the padding inside is still pretty basic and it is there more for comfort than added protection, but some people are starting to look into different materials. Maltese offers gel pads that can replace traditional foams, some people are looking into the foams used in more advance football helmets, and some people are starting to use a mixture of different materials to provide the desired protection/performance.

Most of the protection in goalie masks comes from the rigidness of the shell, which is why materials like kevlar and carbon fibre have become popular with mask makers, since they are light, but very strong. As for the cage, cateyes are pretty decent for visibility, but they could be better. One alternative is the style of cage that Tim Thomas used last year. It's supposed to give you better sightlines than cateye and be a little closer to a traditional cage in terms of protection. Another thing that pros do for better visibility, is they remove some of the padding from the mask so that their eyes can be closer to the cage.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Dangerllama posted:

Scratch that poo poo off the bucket list. I've been playing hockey for 10 years and have played with some crazy good players (CHL, ECHL, NCAA D1). But I've never played with an NHL'er

...until today.

:whatup:

Ex-NHLer or current NHLer? I've played against a few ex-NHLers, but no current players that I'm aware of.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

bewbies posted:

So this is interesting.

My scam-o-meter is beeping a little bit but this is a pretty enticing deal. A couple of guys on my team have ordered one already, I might get a chance to try one in the next few weeks. Quite honestly I don't really get why non-name brand quality sticks haven't become a thing yet, maybe this will be the first.

In Tron's favor, we ordered our new sweaters and socks from them and they look great so that's cool.

Aren't most composite sticks for the different brands made in the same factories in Mexico and China? As long as the build quality is comparable, then you should essentially being getting the same stick as a name brand one.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How many times can you bake a skate? My Vapor X:50s have slowly become uncomfortable along the bottom over the past year or so. I baked them when I originally bought them.

OR, should I just get those Superfeet things?

I think you can usually get away with baking skates twice and if there's a specific part of the skate that is painful, then you can look into getting that area punched out.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Vital Signs posted:

Anyone else in here have asthma? I'm wondering if anyone does anything besides taking their inhaler to get ready for the game? Sometimes I'm okay with just my inhaler, but sometimes I'm just gased by the 3rd.

I'm having similar issues where I am running out steam during the game. It seems to be a mixture of asthma, conditioning, and in the case of one of my teams facing an absurd amount of shots. I recently started doing HIIT cardio, which is supposed to better condition you for alternating between periods of high activity and rest (e.g. skating a 60-120 second shift and then resting on the bench).

As for medication, I have a daily inhaler (I've used Advair and Dulera at different times), I try to take my Albuterol inhaler when I get to the rink (about 30-45 minutes before I play), and if I'm really having trouble with my asthma that day, then I'll use my nebulizer instead of my inhaler. For night games, I've noticed that using the Fluticasone nasal spray before I play seems to help, but I am only supposed to take it once per day.

I think a lot of it comes down to conditioning, but it may not be a bad idea to keep an inhaler on the bench and if you're really having trouble breathing, then you may need to skip a shift or two. Unfortunately for me, I'm a goalie, so a lot of times I try to just tough it out and get through it, which isn't always the best idea.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

sellouts posted:

Try everything on first, that's my opinion. Then order online.

If you got skates I'd get a helmet next, then shins & pants.
Then you can go to public skates and practice starts and stops without hurting yourself too badly.

Then i'd go elbow pads and gloves.

Or if you're thinking you want to shoot the puck and have a shooting mat / net already, go get the gloves next and a stick so you can start dicking around puckhandling, etc.

Also IceWarehouse has some pretty good deals on starter kits. http://www.icewarehouse.com/PackageDeal.html?ccode=SRICEPACK . I got 2 new easton EQ30s for 60 each and they were delivered to my work address in 28 hours perfectly packed with free shipping. Cant wait to try them out and the process was super smooth.

Definitely try everything on first, but before you order online check and see if the hockey shop near you will match Internet prices. Hockey gear prices are negotiable and it doesn't hurt to ask, especially if you are buying multiple items at once. A good shop will want to keep you as a customer, so they'll do what they can to make a deal work.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
$125 for three jerseys doesn't sound bad, but it seems unnecessary. Do you guys get to choose the jersey and design or is it a generic jersey with the rink name? If it's the latter, then I think it is safe to say that you know where their profit margin is.

I recently got jerseys for one of my teams and they ended up costing around $46 per person. We probably could have got them made cheaper, but I didn't have the time to do the research and they let everyone pay separately, so it prevented the drama of me or someone else needing to pay for the jerseys up front and then try collecting the money afterwards. I think they turned out pretty well and we finally got a win last week.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Aniki posted:

$125 for three jerseys doesn't sound bad, but it seems unnecessary. Do you guys get to choose the jersey and design or is it a generic jersey with the rink name? If it's the latter, then I think it is safe to say that you know where their profit margin is.

I recently got jerseys for one of my teams and they ended up costing around $46 per person. We probably could have got them made cheaper, but I didn't have the time to do the research and they let everyone pay separately, so it prevented the drama of me or someone else needing to pay for the jerseys up front and then try collecting the money afterwards. I think they turned out pretty well and we finally got a win last week.

poo poo, I didn't seem to include the picture.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

Does it take any extra metal off to try it, and then go back to a normal cut if you don't?

Compared to, say, two normal round cut sharpenings?

Yes, it does. Switching from FBV to standard sharpening or vice versa takes off more metal than sharpening the skate with the same method.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
For the other captains out there, what do you when your players are accusing a teammate of being a dick? Would I better off pulling him aside with one of my assistant captains before our next game or would I be better off contacting him through email? I don't want to come off too hard on the guy right away, since I know that sometimes people can act aloof or like a dick and not be aware of it, but I guess his attitude is bothering quite a few players and I want to make sure that I am keeping everything fun for everyone.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Gio posted:

In person. You don't have to be harsh or punitive or whatever, but through an email is very impersonal and too formal for something as casual as a beer league.

I can see that. I kind of suspect that he's a guy that played organized hockey as a kid and is having trouble adapting to playing hockey for fun, so I think he gets annoyed when players miss chances he sets them up with and he does a bad job hiding his frustration. I can understand that, so I guess I need to tell him to not take things too seriously, try to have fun, and open himself up to his teammates.

Green Submarine posted:

My buddy's men's league team has been sponsored by the Opera web browser:

http://my.opera.com/sitniks/blog/
http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2011/12/01_2/

It makes me kind of want to use Opera.

That's really cool, do any of the guys work for Opera or did they randomly approach Opera about a sponship?

I recently started using Opera again and I've been pretty impressed with it and its HTML5 support is a lot better than IE9 and Firefox whatever the Hell they are on now.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

bigmike posted:

If something is becoming an issue, I'd pull him aside with one other captain and have a chat with him and let him know what the team is thinking. You don't want to let things fester. Guys don't battle for guys they don't like.

Don't attack him, just let him know where the guys are at. It's on him to see how he handles .

That makes sense. I don't want to attack the guy, but when I get a bunch of other players complaining and threatening to not play with him, then I am pretty much forced to address it. I just want to let him know that his attitude is bothering the other players and ask him if there is anything I can do to improve the situation. If his attitude doesn't improve after that, then I may need to see about getting placed on another team. I'd prefer not to do that, since he is legitimately a good player, but if the guys don't battle for him and he makes the bench toxic, then I won't have much of a choice. This is definitely not my favorite part of being a captain, but I guess that I need to get used to it.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Doctor Butts posted:

I thought it wasn't possible to be 'that guy' unless you wore sweatpants instead of hockey socks or whatever.

I'm pretty sure that guy is the guy who wears inline pants on the ice.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 13, 2011

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

So basically anyone who breaks the mold gets ridiculed. :colbert:

Just people who wear inline pants on the ice or goalies who don't wear safe equipment. I don't care about the white gloves or visors, though I generally expect the guy in a blue tinted visor to be a decent player and it is funny if they're not.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

toxicsunset posted:

We played against a goalie the other night who had no hockey pants on underneath his pads. When he dropped to his knees you could see skin.

I can't fathom playing without goalie pants, is it possible that he wasn't wearing knee pads? There is another goalie that I play against and after watching him get pegged in the knee again and again one week, I gave him my old knee pads the next week. Some people can wear pads without a knee pads and be fine, but I really don't understand how you could play goal without goalie pants. I really don't want to contemplate taking an uprotected shot to the hip or pelvis.

The worst example of bad/no gear I saw with a fellow goalie (outside of the usual Itech/Bauer 1200/1400 widowmakers) was a goalie who apparently forgot his cup, but played anyway. The other players didn't know this and he ended up getting pegged in the groin by a wrister from an ex-Juniors player. He had to be carried off the ice and the thought that shot just makes me sick.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

elite_garbage_man posted:

God drat, I miss playing hockey.

It's been about 5 years since I last skated or played, and hopefully I'll be playing in a few months in a veterans team in southern california.

I need new pants and a ca. There's 500 bucks gone already, but oh so worth it.

Come on over to the goalie thread, we can help get you up to speed.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

No, not at all. It's a myth that goalies use dull skates. Modern butterfly goalies use pretty sharp skates to facilitate explosive pushes. I use 1/2" and could stand to go a bit sharper on my goalie skates.

During the standup days, it wasn't uncommon for goalies to use very dull skates (1" cut) and never sharpen them, but now goalies tend to prefer very sharp cuts so that they can dig into the ice better to get strong pushes and butterfly slides.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

poser posted:

Do most of your leagues require a dark and light jersey? When I played roller in San Diego every team kinda just "claimed" a color and we went color on color every game. I want to try and convince our league to do this but I dont know how it would go over.

The cost of sourcing decent jerseys can really add up fast, so for our team we spent around $45 per jersey for a distinct color and we probably would have been looking at $75-90 per set for home and away jerseys. I understand why having two different jerseys would be nice, but as long as the jerseys are distinct, then there isn't much of a need for two jerseys unless you play in tournaments or have the money to burn.

Edit: I misread your post. Can your team just claim a unique color? We wear yellow jerseys and it doesn't conflict with any of the other teams in the league.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 13, 2012

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Thufir posted:

Email I got from the rink today:

Wonder how many brain cells I lost playing last night?

Anyway, I hope they have it figured out by Friday since I'm able to go to 6 AM hockey that day for the first time in forever.

The problem with Zambonis is that they last forever, so there are a lot of propane Zambonis that are still in good condition. Other than the cost of the equipment, there is really no reason for rinks to be using anything but electric ice resurfacers at this point.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

Anyone know of or use knee pads for skating practice?

I whacked my knee the other day after a blowout, and have been stiff ever since. I've been eyeballing knee pads that skateboarders use, and I'm not entirely sure if they offer the right kind of protection.. they seem more geared towards abrasions than absorbing blows?

I'm not really keen on bringing my shin guards to a free skate, it seems kind of overkill (plus they would look ridiculous over jeans).

You could try wearing wrestling or volleyball knee pads. You could probably wear them under your jeans they'd at least offer some padding if you bang your knee into the ice.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 10, 2012

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Thufir posted:

I don't have a league game next weekend, hockey day in america my rear end :argh:

Likewise. Stupid tournaments.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
88 and 14 work if you want people to think they're racist.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Vital Signs posted:

So, playing goalie about killed me. I am not use to the stress of playing this position. By the start of the 3rd, my back was pretty sore. I was also using too short of a stick, which lead to some pretty awful five-hole goals. I still managed to get my team their first win of the season, but I good lord I was sore the next day. Maybe it just takes getting use to, but I don't know how goalies do it.

It takes a while, but your body gets used to it. Doing HIIT (cardio) and a lot of dyanmic stretching that focuses on your hips and groin help. Using a foam roller can also help ease the tightness that you'll likely feel in your hips. Also, if you do weight training, than exercises like squats and deadlifts can help you build lower body strength, which helps a lot.

As for the stick length, you typically want to use a stick with a shorter paddle, since it will be the right height for when you are in your butterfly. If your stick seemed too short, than more likely than not, you were standing too upright in your stance, so try getting your butt lower in more of a squating position and you'll find that the stick length isn't as a big of an issue and you'll be in a better position to make explosive movements.

Make sure to stop by the goalie thread, we can help you out a lot more over there.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

My limitation isn't strength as much as it is endurance or lung capacity. I mean, more strength is always good and I'm not a particularly built guy, but my real limitation is long shifts (or the lack thereof).

I see guys running five minute shifts and get all sad when I'm panting at two minutes. :smith:

You'd be better off conditioning yourself so that you can go hard for 90 second to 2 minute shifts than staying out there for 5-minutes. Staying out there for 5-minutes generally hurts your team more than it helps it. I know you weren't saying that you wanted to stay out there for 5-minutes, but people taking long shifts is the number one thing that players I know complain about.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Kashew posted:

I can't wait to heat mold my skates and get back on the ice...when I have the $15 per open hockey session to throw down.

gently caress how expensive it is.

In Arizona, it is usually $10-15 for open hockey. Some people will even pay $25-35 to play in organized pickup games (two lines that shift every 2 minutes). It just comes down to their being a finite amount of ice time available in places like California and Arizona.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Kashew posted:

Gotta be expensive to keep ice here in Cali, I guess. Figure the summer is like 95 every day. And last time I went, it was pretty hot and the ice was still nice.

That is the good thing though. I've heard people from Canada and other traditional hockey markets say that the ice here is better than at home, since the rinks here need to have really good insulation and cooling systems to maintain the sheets during the summer. Also, a lot of places up north don't keep their sheets year around, so while it does cost more to play out here, there are some advantages.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Kashew posted:

Did I mention at this $15 per 75 minutes pick-up hockey they require you to call that morning to pre-register and leave a credit card number for them to charge?

It's 90 minutes to 2 hours depending on the rink here. I take it that your rink had trouble with no shows, so requiring people to pre-register and provide payment information is just a way to ensure that people who don't show up are fined. With some rinks here, they don't take any pre-registration, so it's first come/first serve and with goalie spots at the Ice Den, I usually call ahead, but only because they limit to the first four goalies and if I'm taking off work to play, then I want to make sure that I am going to get ice time.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I know there are rinks in Anaheim and Yorba Linda for sure.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

So my local rink hung up a flag for Mexico the other day, next to the US and Canadian flags.

Is this a thing now? Does hockey even exist in Mexico?

They also added an Illinois flag, which also doesn't make a whole ton of sense to me as I'm pretty sure only national anthems are played.

But it's not like I'm offended or anything, it just seemed like a totally random addition.

A bunch of youth players from Mexico City come up to Phoenix to train and buy gear. I don't think there is a ton of hockey in Mexico, but it does exist on some level.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Just realized after almost an entire season that one of the pretty drat good dmen on my men's league team is the brother of a certain rather good defenseman for the St Louis Blues. Maybe in the summer season we can convince him to call up The Ultimate Ringer.

Dustin Byfuglien has done the before. It would be pretty nuts to unleash a current NHLer in a men's league.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Despite the whole team being hungover, we pulled out a 7-0 win. First playoff win for our team in our 3 seasons :woop:

After we scored one of our goals, we were all banging our sticks on the boards. You know, like every team in history does since the dawn of time. The ref skated over and told us not to do it and if we kept it up, we'd get a bench penalty. Is this real?

How many goals were you up when that happened? It's possible that the refs could have considered that taunting even if you were just innocently celebrating a goal.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

sellouts posted:

Games that end 7-0 are usually pretty clearly one sided from the beginning, no?

Not always. You can have games where the goalie carries the team for a period or two before he runs out of energy and then the other team piles on goals in the last period or period in a half. Though those games are easy to spot, because the goalie is playing out of his mind and his teammaes are usually tripping over eachother while they allow 50 shots.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Minister Robathan posted:

And yet another situation is where one team is definitely weaker than the other, but their best players are as good as or better than their opponents, and half the game is close. Then, the good players on the weaker team just start getting exhausted, coverage breaks down, and the better team can just start pumping goals in.

e: that is to say, one team is balanced, their skill level is all about equal, while the other isn't, at all.

That can definitely happen too and like you said it's just a matter that the stronger players can only cover for the weaker players for so long and once they wear down the rest of the team usually isn't good enough to step up.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Sash! posted:

Many years ago, someone here on this very site, proposed a six-way game in a rink that looked like Chinese checkers.

The idea of five teams and five pucks bearing down on one helpless goalie was....amusing.

Between warmups and poorly paced drills, we're used to this.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Minister Robathan posted:

Cool so we've passed possible misogyny to possible racism.

Kidding, but that's what it reads like.

It doesn't read like that at all. I find it weird how people will avoid using obvious traits to describe someone because they don't want to be viewed as racist. It seems very odd to pretend like skin color differences don't exist and aren't valid ways to describe people. If you judge a person based on their skin color, then you're an idiot, but if you describe someone as the black guy with glasses or the white dude with a flapron and it's an accurate description of the person, then it doesn't come across as racist it just comes across as you listing easily recognizeable features of a person.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

cenzo posted:

There's like three non-goalie players in my entire league that use wheelie bags. They are the butt end of most jokes, including those made by their own team.

If no wheelie bag scape goats are around, it moves on to backpacks or gym bags.

I feel if I don't stand up for someone, I'll start to be made fun of because my old rear end Itech bag has appropriate pockets for each skate.

I have a guy on my team who carries all of his gear in an blue Ikea bag. People offered to give him a bag, but he likes it, so we've called him Ikea since then. I like the idea of backpack for gear, it wouldn't work with my goalie gear, but considering how little equipment most players have, it seems like an easy way to carry everything. I recently converted to a wheeled bag, I avoided it for the longest time because of concerns about durability, but it's been nice so far and it's a lot easier than trying to lug a huge goalie bag on my shoulder and navigate narrow doorways and stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Topoisomerase posted:

I think you may have actually been better than the guy who was my team's goaltender later at Vacaville. In fairness, he was on his 3rd game in a row and I'm pretty sure that he didn't even get back on his feet once after the middle of the first period. But he also told me (I play defense) on a 3 on 1 I should attack the puck carrier, so I don't really think he's starting out in that great of a place either. ;)

Ideally you want the defensemen to take away the passing lanes, though if they're not going to do that, then you'll settle for them taking one shooter out of the equation. The big part is just knowing what to expect, which allows you to be more aggressive, since you know what your D is going to do.

Edit: It's also funny how often 3-on-1s and 3-on-0s fail. It seems like the puckcarrier has too many options and they tend to run out of space before they can decide which play to make.