Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

bigbillystyle posted:

I know it is a thankless job being a ref no matter what you do but I have the sneaking suspicion that if they called games like the way you are describing them, the games would be so much more about playing hockey than BS around penalties or lack thereof. So many times I've just seen the clock running while people are arguing about this and that like it loving matters in the end. Sometimes it is the ref though. They get lackadaisical, 2nd game of a back to back and it's already 10:30pm and you just want to get out and whoops, this game has gotten really out of hand while I was kind of not looking. My only gripe would be that the refs are the only ones being paid to be there and the only ones seemingly not watching the game. I don't know how many times I've seen an offsides or something very obvious and both teams stop...but there is no whistle. I used to get mad about that kind of stuff when I was in my 20's but I'm definitely glad to be a little older and wiser and can look at the stuff more objectively and realize we're lucky to have somebody show up at 10pm for $50 to get yelled at for an hour.

You nailed it on the head really. And the big problem is that the lazy ones or the ones having a bad night make it harder for the rest. They do tend to stick out and those are the ones that get remembered. I’m sure everyone has had a bunch of games where the refs just kinda blend into the game and those are the good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

xsf421 posted:

I have some friends joining this new beginner level league who’d never played hockey before. They all wanted to go visor until I pulled out my helmet and showed them all the dents in my cage from stray sticks and pucks.

Also encourage proper pelvic equipment. Definitely took a puck off the cup last night on a clear.

Every once in a while I'll see some older guy who's almost certainly not wearing a chest protector either. It took almost two weeks to be free of the last welt on my thigh from taking a puck to a fleshy spot.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

titanium posted:

This may or may not be a "rule" where you are but in Minneapolis/St.Paul if you hit a threshold of skill where you're skating with a bunch of guys that played college or higher you might get looked at funny or chirped for wearing a cage.

When I've asked why I was told it's because "Players that wear a cage dont know how to control their own sticks or havent played with enough people who can". I've basically gotten that answer word for word out of 3 different ex pro guys.

I think a good rule of thumb is scope the guys in the league/skate you're in but ultimately do what you're comfortable with.

Got some news I might be EBUG for the Wild for a few games in April and I'll be doing some NHL Alumni stuff with them in July. Oddly enough the Alum stuff is through my brother who's a pretty famous guitarist. Itching to work with the Black Aces this year if the Wild make any sort of playoff push, in the last couple months I've felt more dialed in since pre-covid which is nice to say since I turned 40 last Oct.

Here's a couple high skill skates I did in the last couple weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjUN9NkSTYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jrXxvuArrc

This is super cool. I hope MAF and Gustavsson don't get both knocked out in the same game of course, but that's still a pretty awesome gig regardless.

Wearing a cage or not is definitely something that is skill level dependent. If you're playing a high div with people who know what they're doing, then you're probably fine with just a visor. I'd never not wear a visor though. I like my eyes too much and wouldn't want to risk them on a bad bounce. You want to play without a visor though, that's on you. Out here in Seattle a minimum of a visor is required for most leagues. I have two helmets for different situations. If I know I'm playing with people who aren't experienced, then the helmet with the cage goes on. It's not really a big deal and that elite/macho energy of the cage/visor/open debate is just dumb. Play with the one you feel most comfortable in.

E: I just got to about 3:30 in where you stonewalled that 2 on 0 and hot drat.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 25, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Look for calf compression sleeves. They can get pulled over the tongue and be under the guard.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks for all the help so far. Anyone have good experience with a hockey backpack that can hold skates as well as shin guards, elbows, and gloves? I've been buying my stuff piecemeal as I needed them and I think I can invest in something now to hold all my gear in a more portable manner. Something for the bus/subway. The pacific rink pond pack looks great but it's pretty pricy. I already have a big gear bag from another sport I can use for travel/etc. so not really looking for that.

I haven't seen any backpack bags outside the Pacific Rink pond ones. They're built really well. Everything else that style is on rollers that I've seen. The big problem is finding something wide enough to fit the skates with all the other stuff. Bauer has one, but it's about the same price as Pacific Rink. There are some knock offs around if you search for backback hockey bag, but I've not seen anyone using them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Was doing more edge work drills and stretching out the rear leg on the outside edge last night when the hockey stop pointing right just clicked. Fun to do once it clicks, nice milestone. I was stuck doing T stops on both sides as well as working on L stops for a while. Now the irony is that side crossover is my weak one while the other side is strong but I have trouble stopping on my right. But that’s fine, it’ll force me to be good with both sides.

Being able to stop and being able to pivot so that you can stop are the main things that make you not a danger to others on the ice. It doesn't have to be the hardest or fastest stops and turns to make you a smart/safe players, but knowing how far it takes you to stop is going to give you that time to start playing and learning those distances that change. I started on the ice last March, and after a year of drop-in and play, plus a bunch of stick and puck time, the footwork is all there for the speed that I can move. I'm not the absolute fastest, but I can get moving and stop sharply now. It's a weird sport like that where the basics are just very basic.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

One of the worst parts about 5/3 Arena (Blackhawks practice ice) is that they're constantly doing NHL stuff, so the schedule is never consistent and there are last-minute schedule changes all the time. They're very good about keeping the online schedule updated, but you need to check it often because it changes so much. It's hard to find a regular group for Rat Hockey there because the times jump around so much. The Tuesday 10am Rat at McFetridge is always full on skaters and 90% of the time has at least 2 goalies, so as long as I sign up online before it fills up, it's by far the best choice.

It's the same with the Kraken facility, so that's not much of a surprise. The drop in schedule changed three times already since September, and there will be weeks where it's just cancelled for whatever else. It's most frustrating when they have three sheets, but then they schedule figure skating on two of them and there's no hockey available that day.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Physics question: is skating with dull blades similar to skating with a larger radius? My gut says no, that you’re just skating 5/8” with dull edges and not 3/4” or whatever

Right now until I skate harder I feel like I’m alright skating for 6-10 2-3 hour sessions before feeling the need to sharpen. I do notice when they’re dull but try to compensate until then. The sharpening advice all say 3-4h but I still feel the blades are still sharp way past that and that only applies if you’re actually skating hard and doing back and forth crossover drills or playing a game.

No, a dull edge is dull regardless of radius. There's still an edge on 3/4-1", but the angle is different. Once the edge gets rolled, you'd need to put it back regardless. You can usually get away with 20-30 hours between sharpening unless you use them really hard. I just end up doing it about once a month.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Does anyone have a Super Deker? Seems like it would be a really fun toy to play with off ice, but it's also super expensive.

Probably fun if you like having the computer feedback arcade game feel, but most of us with kids just have the basic white panels. And those are much cheaper, though you'll go through a lot more stick tape if you don't have an old stick for them to use.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

xsf421 posted:

I went to pure hockey to get a foot scan and see if they could do anything to help fit my skates any better, or worse case get new skates that fit. It's definitely not a good sign when the dude looking at the results says "wow, that's strange" and calls over a more experienced person to make sure he's reading it right. Apparently my arches and forefoot volume are so high i maxed out the scanner?

I hope you got to leave without needing to get $1300 skates custom made at least. It is always cool to make machines go wtf.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

A guy who I know is a good skater lost an edge while turning and face-planted. Got a big bloody gash on his eyebrow. I see way more blood on the ice in public skate sessions than I do in games.

I'm a firm believer there needs to be helmet requirements at public skate. Or at least a requirement for anyone who's renting skates. Right there with you on injury/cuts being more of an issue there. I've not seen more concussion symptoms anywhere than public skate. Almost like ice is hard.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Verman posted:

I'll never forget the time I was in millennium Park in Chicago. This couple was ice skating, the woman fell and someone nearby skated over her hand and cut her fingers real bad. I was right behind them. Her scream was blood curdling and there was so much blood.

Without fail in my 10U practices I have to bark at some kids who are taking their gloves off and sitting on the ice playing with snow. They're down to one warning before I send them off the ice completely at this point of the season. Even so, I had to patch some kid up who fell and pinched his finger between stick and ice and cut open the finger tip pretty badly. Thankfully that was the week I restocked my rink side first aid kit. My stomach dropped so quickly getting him over to the bench to stop the bleeding.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

I like the one ice rink near-ish me that doesn't require helmets but lets you borrow them free as part of entry.

I feel like this is sort of a best case option. They have boxes of disinfectant spray for the skates already. Anytime I bring my kids friends along to public skates I tell them to bring helmets and then I stick an extra kid size helmet in the gear bag before we leave. A lot of kids already have bike helmets, and while those aren't perfect, they're so much better than nothing at all.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ that’s terrible bullshit. I had a game the other night full of a bunch of former college players and it was a great game with no garbage. It’s the ones who think they should have been great but weren’t and are sick of their desk job that ruin things.

Meanwhile, I went to a drop in and we played for nearly 2 hours straight through today. I thought I’d gotten in decent shape (I did!) but I am now very sore in places like I just started playing again. At least my stamina is good now.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

calandryll posted:

I got my last set of sticks from there. Only word of warning is they have no warranty. I also bought a pair of pants that are the best pants I've ever used. I fall on my rear end and don't feel it. Blocked a bunch of shots too.

I bought cheap pants and wish I hadn’t. I may go pick up a set from here. It’s not like they’re going to be worse than a set that tore at the belt after 8 uses.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

bgreman posted:

I've got a teammate who works for a major sporting goods chain and every year he gets to dig through their sample merch (stuff the manufacturers send to the retailers for evaluation on whether they want to carry it). He pays like a token fee for each item and this year he took requests, so I got a mid-upper tier pair of CCM pants for free. Way better protection than my last pair and they're light as hell.

That’s awesome. I bought the cheap rec tier CCM because I didn’t know how much/long I’d end up using it. Now I’m on the ice a handful of times a week and have managed to break them through normal wear. Can’t even use suspenders because the buttons for them have managed to pop off too. It’s what I get for going cheap. At least I didn’t cheap out on the skates, that would have been a disaster.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

LowOnCyan posted:

While you're at it, have a look at girdles if you are in the market for new pants. I've bought one a few years back and I won't go back to normal pants.

First few times they feel super tight and you will hate it, but then things loosen up a bit and they move with your thigh so well. I have the CCM ones because I was required to at the time, but I think the Warrior ones even have an option for a cup, which would have been nice.

I'll probably make the drive over to the store and try a girdle, but I imagine I'll still end up in breezers. It would be nice to be able to switch them between shells and pants, but I'm good with the level of protective equipment I have for my midsection in my non-playing gear. And that way everything can have time to dry/air out.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It’s taken most of a season, but I’m finally putting all the pieces together. Had four shots on net, created 3-4 chances from the low slot, and had a half dozen takeaways, plus a tip that went wide.

I also tried to make a move on a zone entry and wiped out in my transition to a crossover from my mohawk so that brought me back down to earth. But I carried the puck through the move until I fell. That was fun too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

You should get your socks replaced if they have holes that big :byodood:

But then how would you put your foot inside it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Sweat wicking shirt and compression shorts with jock of a similar material. Gotta put all that sticky sweat somewhere.

Skates on last though. Doubles as stretching, right?

I have a compression sleeve that goes over my shin guards too. They move around a little more than I’d like without it, and sock tape isn’t doing it for me.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The only time I see people fall on their tail bone playing is when they’re learning how to skate or playing checking hockey. The second is even very rare and you might want to practice Supermans to train your muscles how you want to fall. Still might happen, but that’s why they don’t come built in.

Ref pants have a soft pad about 3” wide that goes down the tailbone area and it’s wide enough to cover it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

So how do pro stock clearance sales work? If you live near a team do they tend to have times when they have excess inventory at the end of a season and you can nab stuff for v cheap? I'll be buying gear because I need them, but would be nice to have maybe a couple backups if I can get them cheap.

Just wondering how resellers happen to get so many of them. I assume most of it is just through connections and knowing people who'll sell you the stuff for $5 each or so

Thanks, sadly I can't really find any place to try them on unless I blindly order a bunch and return them if I don't like it. Might have to figure out soon cuz I want to attend the learn to play in a few weeks.

The Kraken have a year end gear sale for used and surplus equipment. Last year the line for it wrapped out the front of the community iceplex. I think most teams probably have some sort of day like this where you can show up and hope to buy something. It seemed to be a mix of people looking for souvenirs and people wanting to use it for playing hockey.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Verman posted:

Personally I think people will struggle with a P88 when they use it for the first time. Its very flat and makes elevating a shot and controlling a pick more difficult.

This is true. I have more issues elevating the puck into the corners of the net with my P88 stick. However, it's my favorite because I find it's perfect for my passing style and I don't catch more air than I want when I'm trying to lift it across. It took a little adjusting for carrying the puck, but wasn't too difficult after using it a while. It's a dream for my backhand. I'm sure I'll eventually buy a stick with a more curved profile as well, but I'm really liking this more than the P28 I started with.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I grew up playing baseball and golf so it feels a lot more natural to have my off-hand on the knob.

And just like with my golf swing, I like to stand up straight before making contact with the puck and fan on too many shots.

I've tried left and right sticks, and settled on the right. It's my dominant arm, and my left is strong enough, but shooting and even passing just felt off with a left hand stick.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
My other favorite is when the smaller women can't stop and run into the 250lb guy and knock them off balance making it look like a massive hit.

Jammed the end of my little finger into the corner of a stanchion last night. Oddest bruise I've gotten so far, it's just a line on the end of my finger.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

A+ "accidental" hit. Well worth the 2 minutes. Love everything about that.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
We started the playoffs this week. I scored my first goal tonight. It was the game winner. Beat the goalie blocker side low off the post on a set play off the faceoff. He couldn't see it coming and didn't drop until it was in the back of the net.

Now we get at least two more games. Hockey is so much fun to play.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Here we are, still winning in the playoffs (with the 3-0 shutout). Almost like actually having roster rules about who gets to play in which division changes a lot of what happens in the game. Not having to solve goalies or defenders that are playing down 3-4 divisions makes the game a whole lot more fun. It's double elimination, so we'll get at least 2 more games still. Love free-ish hockey.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

T-Bone posted:

Really considering lacing them up again, still pretty worried about Covid though -- I'm sure it varies hugely from state to state (and I'm in loving garbage rear end TN), but how has it been for you all who have returned?

It may depend on your geography, but in Seattle people don’t come if they have Covid and we haven’t had any locker room transmission. I haven’t run into anyone who has had it run through their team either, but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t. Even kid teams haven’t had issues for the most part. Once in a while someone will disappear for about two weeks, but it’s not rampant.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RC Cola posted:

Ok I'm over being heated about that game.

I played a game yesterday and was left defense. I felt like I played pretty well. We had a cycle where I kept the puck in the zone along the boards 4 or 5 times in a row. I don't know what its called, but I took the puck on my backhand along the boards, then pulled it to my forehand and fired a wrist shot through traffic from the blue line every time. We got a ton of rebound chances off of them, my team just couldn't get it past their goalie.
I also had a few breakaways but either shot wide, or missed 5 hole.

Anyways I love hockey but I have to decide between playing on Tuesday against a team that I hate playing, or going to the Avs Oilers game that I have tickets to. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I love playing hockey. Sounds like you had a good game.

Clearly you need to go to that Avs Oilers game. No contest.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RC Cola posted:

Does doing weak side crossovers and stopping ever feel natural? I have to be actively thinking about it when I do it, and it's really hard to do under pressure for me.
I keep doing public skates and focusing on it, and when I'm going on runs I try to do crossovers for part of it and even those weak side on foot crossovers feels unnatural. The strong side feels completely natural though.
Mostly wondering if it will feel natural at some point or if that's something that happens when you start as a kid

It took me what I’d estimate 50-60 hours on ice using them to feel natural with it. It’s not 100% doing weak side, but it’s using it and being okay with wiping out when it’s the right footwork to use. I’m personally stuck and still working on my backwards crossovers now to feel natural, but every time I wipe out I’m a rep closer to them feeling right. It’s that and the outside edge stops that I’m emphasizing when I have the chance.

We have a bunch of 14 and 16 AA teams in town for a tourney this weekend from all over the US and Canada and I pulled the bands on for my first AA and 4-ref game yesterday. Glad it was the 14s and not the 16s, because holy hell was that 16s game a blast (and being on the lines was the right spot). Figuring out your footwork while trying to be in the right position is a hoot and a half. But we didn’t mess it up which makes me happy when we can let them play. It was a top 5 hockey experience I’ve been directly involved in easily and I’m sure it gets even better. Atmosphere was A+ and the boys played some really fun hockey. I haven’t had that sort of experience since doing high level youth soccer and college games.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

sellouts posted:

No one should be discouraged by that 50-60 hour ice time estimate, btw. It took me far longer than that and I was 12 at the time. Adults, with limited ability to be coached and limited time available to learn, may take longer.

Definitely don't feel bad about it. It's not an easy skill to manage. We spent an entire season pushing kids to use both sides and I'd say we got about 2 of 11 to be comfortable on both feet in our group and probably about 3 more in the other 3 groups in 10U and they like flying and falling everywhere. So not only did I have a year of being on the ice practicing 2x a week there, I did a bunch of playing, drop ins, and other skates to get there too. It's a repetition thing like a lot of skills, but worse because it's kind of like trying to swing a bat on your non-dominant side. Forget hitting a ball, it's just hard getting the motion of it down.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RC Cola posted:

I can still do stump jumps at 33 but it hurts. gently caress it really is all downhill here isn't it

Yes and no. It takes more work to keep your body closer to a shape where that's not going to hurt, but it's very possible if you're inclined to do so. Just maybe don't do it on a hard surface, that's what hurts my knees. I go through cycles where I can do those sorts of exercise until I tweak something and have to back off a little. But there's also nothing wrong with modifying to go easier on your knees by not jumping as far or not bending quite as low.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, if the only problem the Kraken Adult Hockey League is having is being slower on the scheduling, then I'm not going to complain anymore. Even there the Kraken hired the league a scheduling assistant and it's working out well. Most teams will have one or two players that could be maybe 1-2 levels higher, but no one has someone that should be playing Div 3+ on a Div 8- team. We have a sub that is probably a div 8ish player, but because his primary team got moved to div 6 this year we had to jump through hoops to get him on the summer league team even. It's a good problem. Past that there's only an occasional sub that's playing too far down.

Sounds like that might be the case for 5/3 too. For the other adult leagues I've worked for they've been much less well run to not having someone to run the clock or even a defined league rules. I'll still take those games, but they aren't as nice to ref because we're doing extra jobs. Someone has to have a partner who can push a few buttons on the scoreboard, but nope.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Is hand pain normal as you get used to using a stick? It's mostly in the palm but the rest is also sore and making a fist takes a bit longer to do. Is this just from using a death grip and I should loosen it up more when stickhandling and not shooting? It's only on the upper hand, lower hand is fine.

It shouldn’t be. I’d think about how you’re holding it and maybe how you’ve taped it. There’s not a huge amount of difference in stick geometry on the handle. It could just be as simple as relaxing the grip, or it could mean that the knob is digging into your palm and you need to move your hand down onto the stick all the way.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
We lost our first playoff game last night against the team that finished first in the standings. We went down 3 early, then took it into a series of one goal leads that wouldn't stick until it finished at 6-6. It was a shootout loss, and it took 12 rounds of shooters to separate it. But I got another goal, so I'm starting to hit my spot. Had two redirects in front as well with one just going a few inches wide of the post and a third which came in hot and I almost didn't get to it. Took my first penalty too for tripping. Blew a tire and they fell over me and then got the goal on the shift when I came out of the box. We have double elimination in the league, so we'll get one more game still for sure, and if we win we'll play this same team again.

Then I went and ref'd two more games after and we had a good night facilitating some mid-division playoff hockey too. Had to call the least fun Interference because a guy picked up his opponents stick and tossed it. Some good fun games and we could let them play because they weren't going for the chippy stuff.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 17, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pleads posted:

Div 9 playoffs are serious business

https://streamable.com/ynai8r

Lucky he didn't get a minor for delay of game on that one too. Not for breaking the stick mind, but goalies aren't allowed to skate over to the bench to replace their stick, a teammate is supposed to bring it to them.

Personally, I would have just given him an earful and left him with the bill for a new goalie stick. Such a bonehead thing to do in beer league.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Everyone needs to stop letting Marchand lick them before and after getting on the ice. Hope the mono infected goon comes back healthy. Don’t push it too hard and let your body get back into it.

We have an elimination playoff game tonight. These playoffs are taking over a month. Hoping to keep my scoring going now that I’m figuring it out and not having to play against goalies from upper divisions frequently.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
We did the eliminating tonight and it finished 5-3. If secondary assists were recorded I'd have had two tonight. I'm just happy that I'm getting the pucks where they need to be from the dirty areas and then getting in the way in front of the goalie so we can score. All in tonight I was +3 and had 3 decent shots and 2 more that I just missed the net on. Blocked a shot with my face too (cages ftw). Even better that it feels nice to play and we get still more bonus hockey in at least one more game to decide 1st and 2nd. If we win we have even one more game against the team that's getting moved up a division for the next season to decide it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Haha, we won our 5th of 6 playoff games (double elimination) tonight while the Kraken were doing it to Colorado too. I had a goal and assist and we have a rematch tomorrow for the whole prize, so much fun!