Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
U of M Gophers hockey is having their best season they've had as a team in several years.. I'm impressed. I don't know if anyone here is a Gophers hockey fan. That is something that's bigger than yourself, amirite?

e: to add to current conversation, I play like Pavel Datsyuk. He is my hockey idol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

I used to play puck 3 times a week.. now I have played a grand total of 0 times over the past 10 months. on the plus side it did just snow today so outdoor hockey season is clearly going to start soon. yay Midwest living!

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

If we had a bench? Definitely could have won I think. Definitely could have caught my breath a few times. I'm still too out of shape for that. First time in a very, very long time I was pushing hard up the ice and my quads just said 'nope'.

Hahhh i know that feel. Got to hit the gym man! Squats & Deadlift are the thing that works to alleviate that, if you are so inclined. I know a lot of guys that just go to the games at the arena and play there, and you do eventually get in shape that way. It's just so much more efficient to hit the gym 1-2 times a week & pump some iron! The difference between the guys who just go to matches, and the guys who play puck and also hit the gym is that they have the big muscles for the endurance. Pretty much anyone can jump on the ice and probably be ok after a long break .... for the first half hour. Then the conditioning becomes an issue for a lot of people. Not saying that's you, you might be in good shape, I dunno.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

bgreman posted:

I've got a weird skate issue someone might have some input on.

Basically, the outermost layers of the boot have chipped away down near the toe on my right skate. This means that game in, game out, this area gets dead soaked with freezing water and I lose all sensation in my big toe about halfway through the second period.

Any tips, short of "get new skates?" There are a few other places on the skates where this is happening, but none of them cause the same problem as that chip near the toe.

(You can see the blue underlayer showing through in the affected area).

E: I was thinking of getting some of that FlexSeal or FlexShot and giving that a go, but I figured I'd check here first.

That skate is totally f-d up. Best get a new boot from Play-it-Again Sports or Dick's or Galyans for $200-500.

[post redacted due to threats]

A3th3r fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 27, 2015

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

bgreman posted:

I've been skating on it with no problems (other than the frozen toe) for like two months now, so I don't think it's on the verge of coming apart. It's just the outer layers of material that have chipped away (likely from repeatedly toeing into the boards or getting stepped on by someone else's skate blade).

I'm going to try some silicone-based shoe repair epoxy, since all I really want to do is seal up the leak.

I bought these skates (Bauer x:40s) in February 2011 for about $350, and didn't skate basically at all in 2012, so they're effectively three years old. That's skating at most once or twice a week in 2011, but 2-3 or more times per week in 2013/2014. If they really start falling apart, I'll probably drop the same amount on whatever the equivalent is today.

oh ok yeah, sounds like you know what you're doing. Yeah if I were in the market for skates, I wouldn't spend more than like $300 but that might just be because I am a cheapass (lol) and I love hunting little shops for deals. Sometimes people really have no idea, so they just go out there with this crappy gear and just get plowed by some crazy dude. I have a pair of rookie Easton Ultralite skates that come apart so now I use Bauer Vaper 30 boots. Those things are real nice, man, I love those skates. Heavy enough that I can take a hit from some blue-liner taking a slapshot at me but light enough that I can move pretty fast as a center.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

real_scud posted:

I've been using an Iggy curve for years and I love it. I don't take tons of slappers but if I ever do I'm usually playing D and it keeps them nice and low for people to get deflections/tip-ins.

Iginla curve is the worst. It's all about the classic 'barely qualifies as a curve' Modano. Best way to get accurate mid-height slappers in the net.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

prom candy posted:

I dunno! I got new skates for Christmas, I haven't had them sharpened yet since I got them. I've probably put about 6-8 hours in on them. Not really sure how often I should have them sharpened. Also not sure if I want to go for a different radius since I'm pretty light (145lbs and dropping) and I'm having a lot of trouble with stopping.

For help as far as stopping, try doing those 'skate across the rink & stop, skate back' drills, I forget what they're called.

[post redacted due to threats]

A3th3r fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 27, 2015

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

sellouts posted:

If anyone is learning how to skate and they have problems, more times than not it's not the sharpening but something in their strength/technique.

:ssj: You're giving away our secret recipe for teaching anyone anything, wtf man.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

Pleads posted:

My D partner took a skate to the face and just posted an update from the ER, 14 stitches to his nose. Wear a visor (at least), kids!

Amen to that. CCM all the way baby. The no face-mask look is for people who want to end up with no front teeth.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

Anders posted:

I still can't get height on my wrist shots though, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I can do flip passes and get good height when I dump the puck (not that I usually do that, because we don't have any boards), but I can't shoot i properly and lift it. It doesn't help I have to skate 100m each time I shoot either though,

Anders, that's the hardest thing to learn of hockey. Accuracy is all curve. The curve of your stick like the tie of a suit - the place for personality to shine. I like Modano, Iginla & Sackic curves best. You have to check out a few and then pick your favorite.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Not that I was ever good, but my shot has still not recovered from taking 3ish years off. It's weird how that deteriorates so much more than skating.

That makes sense to me. The shooting & dekes are mostly skillz while the skating is a lot of cardio. It's just like riding a bike: doing a wheelie is more difficult than just pedaling along.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

Hockey Giant owns. My cousin worked there for a while.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

Soccer talk? Soccer talk.
When I'd play futis at Leppävaaran stadion, nutcups were NOT needed but nice to have to protect your nuts from ever being touched. I don't wear a nutcup for soccer.
Cleats are the most important in soccer - mitre is the best brand of cleat out there.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

Played outdoor puck at Klapprichs (don't know if anyone here is from Minnesota but it's in the west metro). Good times and I'm glad I made the effort to get out there & get some exercise. There are a lot more younger kids on the ice than I'm used to seeing, but maybe that's just because I have a girlfriend now & I'm getting old? In any case, it was a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

pond hockey today = pretty fun stuff