Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I swear the scorekeepers at the Everett community rink count every shot attempt as a shot on goal. Every one of our games up there ends up with wildly inflated totals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Hey SAS Hockey Player Thread. I normally play on ice but have the chance to play roller for the first time tomorrow night. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for not falling all over the place when muscle memory kicks in and I do things that I'd do on ice that do not translate to concrete?

I'm a generally decent skater on ice but I'm worried that the switch to not-ice is going to end with me breaking my tailbone or something. I normally play defense so I figure if I skate backwards as little as possible and make wiiiiiide turns to slow down I may survive any other suggestions are very welcome.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Awesome thanks for the info, that's all super helpful. I have a pair of Marsblades I got for pandemic skating that I'll be using and I'm still getting used to the rocking that the frames do. I tightened them as much as possible to make them more like inline skates but there's still some motion that I'm hoping I'll just get used to. After a bit of a skate this morning I realized how much not having real edges changes things, I think I'm just going to focus on just getting up and down the ice and not nearly as much side to side.

quote:

Also be prepared to be hot.

I'm playing in a pick up game in Maui so yeah... I go through a Gatorade bottle and a half in a game on ice so I'm expecting I'll need 3 tonight. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm coming home with a bruise or two so the other goal now is just "don't throw up out there".

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

That is the truth. A few years back we played a team that had just come from watching a Silvertips game and were absolutely housed. After we scored 3 goals on the first two shifts they sorted themselves out and we barely managed to hold out for a tie.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Henrik got it in one

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Jhet posted:

Divisions go down to 10 now, but around 3-4 is where I see that big jump in skill level. There's multiple groups in a bunch of the middle divisions too. I don't know if captains go and draft anymore though or if it's just down to those adult evals and being added to a team. There's a ton of players being added, but there are still nights where a team will only have 7-9 players, so still plenty of room.

I'll cosign this. I came in to GSHL from a learn to play (this was probably 6 years ago), started a team out of that and slowly got bumped up as players come and go. We're now in 4b and some nights it's a struggle with the skill gaps not only in division but also when we invariably play up to div-3 for some loving reason. I don't consider myself a _bad_ player but I also know when those games vs div3 come up that all we can do on defence is to not get cute and hope for the best cause it's going to be a rough ride.

I've been thinking more and more of trying to find a lower division team to play half the season with just to get some reps where I don't feel like I'm chasing the game the whole time. I love the dudes on my team but sometimes you want to feel like you're being impactful and I'm not sure that's happening all that often right now.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I desperately need to know what this jersey dispute was over given the name of the team is the Thunder Demons

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I had mono when I was in high school and I basically slept for two weeks. It was rad.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I play with a hybrid and the visor sticks out a bit further but the lower cage part is basically identical in dimensions to a full cage. Are you not able to just swap masks out once one gets too sweaty? When we had to play wearing masks post COVID I put on a new one at intermission for the exact reason you mentioned.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Has anyone tried out sticks from prostockhockeysticks.com and had any thoughts? I've somehow broken two sticks since Jan and I'd like to not shell out the cost of another True if I can get something comparable for less (especially since it's going to break eventually). I played with a stick from allblackhockeysticks before and it was _fine_ but didn't feel great so I'm looking for alternatives.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Cool thanks for the feedback. I'll probably order something this week and hope my stick holds up for the start of the season next week.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

However much you think you need to cut it by, cut half as much and skate with it a few times. I have definitely made a stick _juuuust_ a little too short before and it was a nightmare to play with.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I'm definitely curious to see how many people start wearing them. We had a guy on our team last night who already got one. I've been looking at base layers that include neck protection; naturally it feels like they're selling pretty quick rn.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

One of the teams I play I play on is div 7-8, so not the most skilled, and more people than I would have thought wear mouth guards. Definitely not a majority but I counted a solid third of them had one in last night. I don't think anyone wears cut resistant socks and that's just wild to me. I don't trust players at that level to keep upright the whole game so feet are flying everywhere.

Other team I'm on is in div 4 and most guys have socks but no one, absolutely no one, wears a mouth guard me included which is probably a dumb decision. I think there's an unfounded believe that full cages means you're not going to get your teeth knocked out but there's plenty of other ways for you do do damage. I've been thinking about getting one the past couple days but I'd need to wear it at stick and puck a couple times before I used it in a game. I tried it once and found it uncomfortable in the same way skating in a mask did but that's still preferable to losing teeth.

quote:

I've also managed to only get submarined twice in the last few months,

I really feel for the refs in low division games. You're surrounded by 10 very unsure skaters who are spilling all over the ice, I'm honestly surprised officials aren't getting barreled through every other shift.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Jhet posted:

If you’re in the Kraken League we’ve almost certainly crossed paths then.

hah yep! There's a solid chance I have both played against you and have had you ref a game I was playing

For post content, I had games after 9:00 both Sunday and Monday and holy hell. I feel like when I started playing it was always my body that was in pain the day after, now we have a late-ish game and I'm basically a zombie for the next day.

.Spec fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 1, 2023

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Official Kraken League Ice Tier List

S Tier: KCI Starbucks

A Tier: Angel of the Winds (good ice, we always lose here so docking it one tier level)

B Tier: KCI Smartsheet, KCI Virginia Mason

C Tier: Kent Valley (bumps down to F tier in summer), Olympicview, AotW Community (hottest rink ever, also in everett.)

F Tier: Lynnwood

.Spec fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 2, 2023

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Verman posted:

No angel of the winds or showare?

I forgot the community rink! Edited. And I haven't had a game at Showare in...ages so no rank for them.

edit: hah haven't had a Showare game since pre-COVID and we somehow had two games in a week there.

.Spec fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 2, 2023

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Did the refs not notice him taking shots at you or did they just didn't care?

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

hah! I ran into a guy I used to regularly skate with at Angry Beaver last night and he was on his way to that skate. It sounds fun as hell though I never score so I'd be the sober one in the end.

I haven't gotten to skate for a week in a half thanks to being sick and before that getting my cup detonated from blocking a shot. Yes blocking shots in beer league is dumb but I had nowhere to move. I'm very thankful I had that in and will chide anyone who plays without one. Rather than a trip to the hospital I had a couple days of discomfort and some bruises. Though that is _nothing_ compared to our last game. I wasn't there but a guy on our team took a spill and snapped his fibula. I'm not sure exactly sound but it sounded pretty awful. I guess it was a clean break so he's only out a 4 months or so but still woof.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I went to check livebarn to see if i could pull a clip of my poo poo getting destroyed and that entire period just isn't there. I'm assuming they pulled it cause the recording goes from a couple min left in the first straight to the 3rd. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Duke Chin posted:

Livebarns is an absolute piece of poo poo now. But just for completions sake: did you check for a Pano version as opposed to the Auto?

Yeah it is, the fact that loading a video is an akin to an act of god is truly something. You were right though, the pano has the full game. It's hard to see since it's panorama but I'm still saving it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlfOtNwaNrA

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Verman posted:

Also got to leave work at 2 to skate on the winter classic rink with some friends today. That was fun.

We're getting very close to the SAS Seattle hockey player singularity. I went to the 2:30 session today and it was super fun albeit very chaotic on the ice, even by public skate standards. Was super cool to be able to get on the rink for a bit before they pack everything up for good. Now to try not and hurt myself in a late KCI skate.

.Spec fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 4, 2024

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

We couldn't get enough guys to commit otherwise I'd be going. I was kinda bummed about it but seeing the forecast for the weekend I'm ok with it now. I don't have the desire to gently caress with "chains required" weather.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Just drove half way to KVIC to find out 40 minutes before puck drop that the other team was forfeiting. I'm giving the league the benefit of the doubt and it was the other team's captain dragging their feet but holy hell. Trying to contact everyone on the team while sitting in an AM/PM parking lot sure is fun.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Anyone else in a Seattle area league get charged sales tax on league fees? Starting with this spring season Bremerton is changing to charge it, which seems sketchy because either they were supposed to be charging it all along and weren’t, or are looking for a way to make more money and are charging when they shouldn’t. Tax code isn’t super clear though so I have no idea if it’s right.

I just did a quick scrub of my KHL payment emails and they didn't charge sales tax.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

One of my teams got pumped by 7 goals the other night and I was thinking about how good a Rainier is gonna taste while there was still most of the 3rd left. If I was in a game down by a 15 I'd not only ask the refs to run time the 3rd but maybe see if they can 2x the clock speed. Games like that just really isn't fun for anyone imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I got a hybrid from https://hockeyfaceshields.com/shop/ a year or two ago and love it. I need to replace the shield part since it's gotten scratched which was entirely my fault but A+ would recommend.