Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
is this a new thread or a faq type of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
This is probably a stupid question but how much does flex differ between brands and models? I really want to try a lower flex stick but don't want to drop $100+ on something that I might not like. I was thinking about getting something for $50-$60 and if I don't like it I can just use it coaching.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
I was going to pick up a pair of x60 to use in roller but I just quit roller hockey instead:smith:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah that's what I figured. $320 on Hockey Monkey for X50s is a slammin deal. Too bad my pro-shop said they'd only discount them to $435 :(

Hey at least HM is doing free 2-day shipping!

I would get the x60s.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
You use your feet daily(I assume),why not pay to protect them? I have posted about it before but I tore ligaments in my ankle in a lovely boot and wont make that mistake again.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
They have a huge thread over at modsquad but two dudes from the MLX PR firm were trolling all the negative comments and it got closed.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

xzzy posted:

What were the negatives people were bitching about?

The thread is 50+ pages, next time I'm bored at work(tomorrow) I will take a look.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
For the people in leagues.. Do you have one or two jerseys and what does the league require?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

We are required to have dark and light jerseys. They don't need to all be matching though, just the same general color.

edit: gently caress hockeygiant.com for waiting 4 days to tell me the Vapor X:50 skates are out of stock :argh:

Told you to get the x:60 :ssh:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Loqieu posted:

All 3 leagues I've played in provide 1 jersey for you. Usually they don't conflict with the other team's color since they plan that out ahead. That's not always the case though, and sometimes you have to wear a very dirty pinny above your regular jersey for those games.

But I know some rinks require all their teams to figure out their own jersey needs, but I suspect thats the exception rather than the general rule. If you're signing up as a free agent and the rink assigns you, you're probably getting a rink jersey.

The league I play in requires dark and light jerseys for each team, funded by the team. Some teams get away with having one lighter color jersey and thats what my new team is going to try and do.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

WouldDesk posted:

Got the last pair :dance:

No, I did not. As far as gloves, I have always had Mission brand really and my last pair that fit perfect were the 3 finger design, plus thumb. So the thumb, pointer, and middle finger were separate but ring and pinker shared a slot. I can not find these anywhere. It is one of those weird concepts that most hate but I have smaller hands and for some reason they offer more control. The pair I still have are a bit small and the palms are worn beyond belief. Any ideas?

edit: they were mainly youth models so I doubt anything much is available now.

Check ebay for used pairs?

I know warrior will let you make a pair of custom gloves (dont know about 3 fingers) and it would probably cost you $200+ but thats also an option.

Someone in the NHL broke his finger and is using a custom made pair of 3 finger gloves so maybe they are out there.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is $100 too much for a helmet for recreational no checking? The websites have Reebok 8k, Bauer 9100, and CCM Vapor 10 models for about that. Am I just paying for "10% lighter" and some kind of fancy lining at that point?

You can never spend enough money to protect your head! I always spend money on helmets and skates and go cheap on the rest of my gear.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

xzzy posted:

Except a higher price doesn't necessarily result in a safer helmet. There's a point where the component materials are upgraded.. no increase in safety, but an increase in other areas such as weight or comfort.

Pay attention to the safety rating, not the sticker price.

Yeah, what I was trying to say is that when it comes to your head, price should be the least of your concerns.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Got a call from Hockey Monkey today. I almost pooped my pants when I saw a Southern Cal number pop up on my phone. Ugghhhh, they're sold out too? Why can't these fucks keep their stock up to date on their sites?

;-* : "Hello, I'm calling from Hockey Monkey just to let you know that we had to pull your Vapor X:50 skates from our warehouse in New Jersey. They'll be shipped out tomorrow and at your door by Friday. Is this ok with you?"
:aaa: : "..... Uhhhh, yeah that's awesome, thanks!"

:dance:

Where do you live? (if you dont mind me asking)

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Sacramento

Are you the guy that just started playing in the beginner class/league in Roseville?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Lawnie posted:

How do you guys approach playing with a new team, in terms of lines and positions and all that stuff? I'm pretty sure the team im playing on has a bunch of kids that have never played before, and neither have i, so I'm sort of worried about how we're going to handle all that stuff.

Best 3 skaters are C

as for RW/LW pair up Good/Great skaters with Ok/Bad skaters.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Yup! We finished our first season a couple weeks ago with all learn-to-play players from the same class. Spring/summer season starts this Sunday.

Awesome!

How is the talent level out there? My friend played in NARCH (huge roller hockey tournament) and a bunch of kids from Sac State had a team and they were pretty good.

I play at Sharks Ice @ San Jose and our leagues range from A - EEEE and my friend played in lower D/E level as a semi ringer but played in a B league in San Diego.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
Any tips on delayed entry to the zone? I'm a little bit faster than people on my team and I beat them to the blue line I just end up stopping and waiting and it messes up my flow.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Wolfy posted:

Three part question here. I've been looking at skates and from what I can see as far as quality, price and what not I have my eye on the Reebok 7K. Anyone have any experience with this skate? Second, I'm having trouble finding a pair in my size and I might have to order online. I'm about a 10.5 in shoes but I have a wide foot. If I'm able to find some other Reebok's, like say 11Ks or whatever and they fit me...would it be safe to assume a 7K of the same size would fit? So far I've called hockey monkey and hockey giant. I don't know what other shops are around here, any suggestions?

Size between brands is different but between models in the same brand should be the same. But a size 8 11k skate might not FEEL the same as size 8 7k skate if that makes any sense.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
That is awesome.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
What bags do you guys use? Right now I'm using a backpack bag that I used for roller but I will be playing on two teams this season and I dont know if I can fit the extra jerseys and gloves in the bag as its already a tight fit.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

Center rink at Sharks Ice has the curling dots, screws me up all the time. My angles are off for shooting.

You KNOW you want to play DD ;)

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

I can't! If I play in DD, I can't play in the lower leagues due to the new house rules. :(

My E team is moving up to DDDDD because of the rules.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

You guys are going to have a great playoffs in E, any team can take it. Good luck in that.

Our EE team has NO chance of winning the entire thing because there are 3 or 4 teams over in the East division that are loaded with ringers.

I think its going to the Chieftains because they have 38 other teams to pull from or possibly your boys on Green Horn because of their super duper ring they have now.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
I got called for a stupid penalty after I was driving into the boards from behind with no call..

On my way to the box I yelled at the ref "If you're going to call loving bullshit calls, you might as all well the penalties that actually loving happen" and earned myself another penalty :smug:

Someone put it this way to me: In the lower leagues and especially the late games you get the worst refs so I learned to keep my mouth shut.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

coldwind posted:

I've always felt that being a bit more cordial about it would be a better way of getting calls. I figured a ref would be more likely to give me a call later on if I hadn't just chewed him out, but I guess I don't really know. I don't take a lot of penalties and I don't draw a lot either.

I think personally, if I was a ref and a player just got done yelling at me, I'd be watching him close to call the next mistake he made. But maybe I'm just vindictive like that. I obviously wouldn't be a very good ref.

Refs pretend they dont but they remember people and hold grudges. Now I give/flip the puck to the ref when I can and remember to thank them after the game.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
This kid emailed me about joining my team and he graduated high school in 2008. Getting old sucks:smith:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
So I got this email from a free agent I picked up:

Jared, you're cool no worries, and your email was perfect for me. FYI I've managed adult teams a few times so can help you through this, no worries.

My advicee to you:

The first hurdle is to get around 15 players (3 forward lines and 3 rear pairs) - that'll make for covering the ridiculous high team fees and if a few don't show up once in a while , more playing time for those who do. Too many more than that (15 skaters) and people will start to complain about ice time and too many less than that you'll get beat by teams who do have a full roster, especially if several of your/our players aren't all conditioned reasaonably well.

And do you have a decent goalie yet? Gotta have a gaolie who is decent and will show up routinely, otherwise that'll make for a lovely season. Nothing sucks more than showing up to a game and not having a goalie (and then having to forfeit the game and not get to play a regular competitive game.

Anyway, I'm available for you, call me any time on my cell at 408 644-6636 and I'm excited about playing and if you need any help kind of coaching the team, getting eveyone on the same page with respect to taking shorter than longer shifts and going full speed while out on the ice as well as putting players at their least vulnerable positions, let me know, I'll be happy to assist...Not so much like to coach, but you need to take command so that during games players will do what you ask them/play where you want them to etc...I had teams where players would switch where I put them for a game to play with their buds, and honestly as a team every player needs to play with which ever lineup makes the team most potent. Mostly don't like to lose bad because not prepared or people on the team aren't playing with and for and as a team. Anyway, take care my man and I'm looking forward to meeting you in person.

Also, I assure you, I will be a solid contributor-not a weak link on this team, but be careful about picking just anyone up of the free agent list, there's some dweebs who suck and keep trying to play at levels way higher than they should be at and you get a few of them on your/our team and it can be a nightmare (had that happen and we lost a lot of games bad because just too many weak players...). If you want to send me a roster list (how many players did you get from the free agent list?) I'll check it to make sure none of them hooked up on your/our team for you....Still not to late to advise them sorry, don't have enough spots. I know that sounds mean but I know some of these characters and the teams that have been in these leagues for a while will all avoid them like the plague and you/we should to. I can also have you read names off the free agent liist (whic I don'ty have access to and vice versa may recognize players who are decent...

:smith:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Topoisomerase posted:

I wonder why he's on the free agent list now. ;)

Yeah this sucks everyone else I grabbed seems cool as hell. Hopefully he quits before we starts or hate the team and quits during the season.

I'm going to email him and say we are a laid back team and if thats no what he wants maybe he should reconsider.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
You know whats awesome? using a ringer goalie in the playoffs

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

Same thing happened to Rotarians when they played Gang Green. Gang Green rolled out 2 former Jr. Sharks players, one playing D, one playing Goalie. Beat Rotarians in a shootout.

Yeah Gang Green, the team that won 3 games ALL season is moving on to the semis.

we lost in a shoot out two:smith: We have 2 of the top 3 scorers in the league on our team and we scored 1 goal.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Habibi posted:

Ugh, I'm stuck in a loving slump and I can't break out of it for some reason. Well, not entirely true, as I had a g/a game last Thursday, but it seems that ever since October/November or so, I just can't loving score. My first season or two in D4 I was averaging a point and close to a goal a game (I play defense), and during the same time I was averaging over a goal a game for about 3 D5 seasons in a row. Then late Fall hit and I don't know WTF happened but I just haven't been able to put it together since. The weird thing is that, by any reasonable measure, all of my skills have improved during this span of time. My skating has gotten significantly better, as I started playing D4 with only a rudimentary ability to do backward cross-overs, and can now accelerate backwards using cross-overs with some proficiency, to say nothing of general improvements in my fundamentals. My decision-making has gotten faster as a result of playing in D5, my slapshot has gone from "can't get it off the ground" to "can't keep it on the ground" to "can reasonably expect it to hit the net at something close to the height I intended, but still lacking any aim," and my defensive play has seen pretty good progress. But, gently caress, it's just not happening. I keep telling myself to keep it up and that it will come eventually, and it makes me wonder what the hell highly touted NHL players go through when they're in a slump. Mainly I'm just venting.

tl;dr: game's improved, scoring has dropped, whine whine

Also if you use OPS they do wear out

My friend was using a old silver tip stick, convinced him to get a Warrior

Thats second in the league BTW

poser fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 12, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Habibi posted:

Oh yeah? I mean, that won't account for it all, but it would explain a few things here and there - I've been using the same [$35 N/Bauer Hockeygiant discount] stick for about 3-4 months. Though, my prior success was with the same type of stick...

Try flexing it and it should feel different. I know in hockey there are basically two types; the gear whore always getting new poo poo and the people who hold on to gear forever. Well, the gear whores are right about sticks.

What I do to get cheap sticks:

Buy on clearance
Buy slightly used

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Habibi posted:

Where do you get used sticks?

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/

but you need to open the sell section by contributing (making 75 posts) to hockey discussions.

People on there will buy a stick and not like the flex or curve and sell it after 2-3 uses.

And

http://www.prostockhockeygear.com/

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Christ...

I'm taking a power-skating class right now and one session she bungee'd our ankles together and tried doing:
((
))
((
))
((

So goddamn hard, everyone was falling over.

What is her name?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
Two stick n pucks + coaching final game of the season = all day at the rink:cool:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
I used a 85 flex stick today and I think I will be sticking with a sub 100 flex from now on.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
My snap shot was horrible with my 100 flex and I could never get it down. Its improved tons with the 85 flex.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir posted:

How big are you? I have an 85 that's probably in the 90s after being cut and I don't feel like I get a ton of flex. Wonder if I should try a 77 flex (before cutting). I'm 165.

5'11 215ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

Anyone have a good method for getting iron-on numbers off their jersey? I have picked and scratched a good chunk of the old numbers off, but there's still too much there for new numbers to be heat-pressed on according to the guy with the heat press. If I can't get these numbers off, I'm thinking of buying tackle twill numbers and sewing them over the remains of the ironed on numbers. I suppose that will work.

What team/league you on this year?