Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Anyone have good wax recommendations?

I spray painted my stick black one time and scored twice the next game so I spray paint my blades now:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

poser: I'm playing down in EEE this season with my buddy. Trying to learn how to play D and improve my defensive game. Plus I'm going to miss a bunch of time this summer and I figure a EEE team can survive without me. I'll probably head up to your DD team in the winter.

Awesome:cool:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

:lol: Keep me updated on how you guys do this summer. What's your team name?

HELLAcopters is my team in DD and I'm still playing on FNF but we moved up to DDDDD because of that ringer rule.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
My ice game last night.. we had 9 skaters and 6 of them were former roller players playing their first ever ice game. We got smoked 12-4 but it was pretty fun watching everyone fall all over the place.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

How many offside calls? How many guys sitting at center waiting for the home run pass?

Only two offsides!

The wingers played along the boards(correctly) in the D zone but the D always cleared it to the center(right to the other team) looking for the home run pass.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
Lets have a SAS game, one team with white tape and the other with black tape and see who wins.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
1st period nobody uses tape and flip flop tape colors between the second and third.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
made my own stick wax

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
I rock these

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

Those are nice. Reminds me a little of the Jaromir Jagr Graf specials.

I wish they came with his skills:smith:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Lawnie posted:

i play with someone who wears those i think. he's kind of a weenie.

He probably doesnt have my mad skillz

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

bigmike posted:

You should beat him up and take them because those are like thousand dollar skates.

Or at least laugh at him for being a weenie and buying thousand dollar skates.

I paid less than $600 for them?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

dyn posted:

Those look like those training skates that little kids wear for their introductory skate. Ugly.

you're ugly:colbert:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
How the hell do you guys get solo ice time?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

xzzy posted:

The place I go has two has two rinks open at lunch.. a free skate, and a stick-n-puck. Typically a max of 4 people per rink.

You just gotta go when no one else can.

The problem is here is there is pretty much one rink with 4 sheets of ice and its always busy. They have noon pickup with 20 skaters and 2 goalies and its always full. I went to a Tuesday 10 am stick n puck and about 15 people were there and that was a pretty small number. I'm so jealous of the people that have so many rinks to choose from.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Dangerllama posted:

Won our first playoff game today. Ref missed two of our goals, so despite pulling it out in overtime, we really won 4-1.

Pee Wee/Bantam kids had the ice before us, so it was super choppy. But it was worth it because Adam Foote was one of the coaches. Dude was standing eight feet outisde our locker room bullshitting with one of the other coaches. :monocle:

None of us had the balls to tell him we needed a sub on D.

He still looks like he could beat the poo poo out of everyone in the arena. All at once.

Where do you live?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Dangerllama posted:

Denver. This place is turning into such a chill hockey town.

Nice, my friend lives in Fort Collins and he said adult hockey is getting a lot better on there.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:3:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

xzzy posted:

Your rink has windows? Well I never. :colbert:

And pepsi logos for faceoff dots :whatup:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I want a yellow pair of Warrior gloves from their customize tool, but I can't justify the cost. Would be incredible though.

My pair of franchises are the best gloves I have ever own. If my team that I run becomes a yearly thing I might pick up a pair that match our jerseys.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
The palms on the high end gloves is amazing. Its a shame that Eagle wont let people buy MSH2 anymore.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

robcat posted:

what's the general preferred method to hold up socks if you aren't using the compression shorts w/ velcro? Do most people use a garter, or is it faster/easier to just tape them up?

I forgot my cup a few times and had to take my socks up and it did not work at all.

I heard a rumor that Sharks Ice were going to set up shop in Rancho Cordova. This would make me ecstatic.

You would rather not have Sharks Ice running a rink unless they are taking over a crappy rink.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

zinc68 posted:

I present to you my beer league arena.

The middle part is a rotunda that has viewing for all four rinks with a full service restaurant with beers. Oh yeah, there are also 8 more rinks down the hallway not shown, and 4 more being built right now. The US National Women's team uses the A league beer teams as practice which is pretty drat cool in-itself.

This isn't even the only arena in the town. Sometimes Minnesota can be awesome. Sometimes..

16 sheet ice rink? Holy crap.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

Sharks Ice gives the winning team a coupon for Buy 2, get 1 free pitchers. Sometimes we share with the opposing team if they were cool.

Some dudes on my team cant even get in the bar:whatup:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
Anyone run/participate in a weekly organized pickup game? I'm thinking about trying to start one up and would love some tips or advice.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

bewbies posted:

:words:

Thank you so much!

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
If I replace my holders with the exact same holders, can I reuse the steel?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

One of the bad things about living in a non-traditional market is sometimes you get things like what just happened here last Friday.

I live in an NHL town (you can probably guess which one from my avatar). Ice time around here is generally at a premium all year long because we don't have an overabundance of rinks, and now it could get a bit harder. One of our rinks (the one that the team uses as a practice facility when they can't use their arena, no less) got foreclosed on. If they don't find a buyer in the next ten days, the rink will shut its doors for good. What worries me is that the team either doesn't expect a buyer will come forward, or they plan to use one of the other rinks as an alternate facility instead rather than try to help keep this one running, because they're having a massive used gear sell-off at the rink this week. It could just be a standard end of season thing, I don't know, but it's worrisome anyway. This is the rink closest to my house and it's the one where I do the bulk of my skating. I'm not thrilled about having to travel a longer distance and possibly having to pay more just to find ice time.

I'm sorry this post isn't technically about playing hockey but I'm super bummed about this turn of events, especially since we were on the verge of starting up a new summer league there.

If people make enough noise they might step in and help out. The Sharks bought out two rinks here and run another one.

The end of the year gear sale is newer to some teams but its nothing new. "Prostock" hockey gear become all the rage latley and its good way fro teams to make money.

This company
http://www.prostockhockeygear.com/
is raiding some of the AHL sales and pissing people off.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir posted:

I can probably get my broken skate holder fixed under warranty, YAY!

It'll probably take 4 weeks, BOO!

How did it break?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
I wish my roommate was like all of you when it game to gear. I buy nice things and he just makes fun of me:smith:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

xzzy posted:

We all spent ten bucks to post on the internet, your friends didn't.

Moral of the story: get them to sign up here, and soon they too will be willing to spend all their money on hobbies.

Yeah my one friend who makes the most comments is just super cheap. His hockey pants are 4 sizes too big but he still wears them, he cut is elbow so in addition to his elbow pads not staying on, one of them has the entire inside covered in dried blood pool. But I'm the moran for replacing worn out gear:smith:

So the team that I put together that lost our first game 12-4 is 2-0 in the regular season. The roller kids are finally starting to get the hang of ice and making progress. The team we beat last night only lost 5 games last season and we won 6-4 and their ringer scored all 4 of their goals(he was top 4 in scoring last season). And the end of the game they told us that we suck:confused:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
So my team of mostly former roller plays won again last night against a team that only lost five game last season. For a team that lost our first pre-season game 12-4 to 2-0 and in first place, I gotta say I'm an awesome GM:whatup:

The other team also told us we suck after we beat them and all 4 of their goals were scored by their ringer:smith:

poser fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 23, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Lawnie posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I'm really sick and hopped up on meds, sorry:smith:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Here's the extent of Derick's effort:
http://stats.rv.zev.net/display-schedule.php?team=84&season=19&tlev=0&tseq=0&league=1
Exhibition
Exhibition
Exhibition

Pretty funny, but still doesn't solve anything. We all still have to play these sandbagging shitheads. One of our guys went back and checked previous seasons' rosters, and 10 of them previously played in Silver.

Out of the previous 5 games the statkeeper recorded shots, their shot margins were:
+27
+22
+51
+28
+41
= +169 shot margin, in 5 games. Yup, Bronze team for sure. :rolleyes:

Ok, done whining.

When I was playing roller in San Diego we had a travel team that played in our league and they would pretty much just dominate everyone.. Most of the people in the league were older and didnt take kindly to them winning by such high margins and acting like they did. They had 3-4 games in a row end in fights and they were kicked out of the division.

EazyBreezy posted:

Big hockey fan but never played growing up so I have always wondered this...do the coaches call for what line they want next or how is it done? And what is an "ideal" shift length?

When I was coaching a house league team we told them 45 seconds to a minute, if you're not tired after that you're not skating hard enough.

poser fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 23, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
I know people kick people off teams for being a douchebag and other things.. But what if the guy is just really annoying?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
You should really buy your first pair in the store. Different brands fit people different and you have now idea what size or brand your feet will like.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

cenzo posted:

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll definitely buy my first pair locally. I hit two shops on my way home, they both carried basically only Bauer skates, and one is the "official flyers blah blah blah pro shop." needless to say I was more than a little disappointed.

Quick question about appropriate fit, I'm a shoe size 10.5 and really fell in love with how the vapor 7.0s felt in a 9 (compared to the Supremes at the same size), toe was just barely touching the cap and it felt snug all around except for right where the side of the ball of my foot is, where there was some pressure. When you bake a skate where in the skate do the dimensions change? Should i expect that to be corrected after heating or consider a larger size?

Still going to do more shopping around, just that the two proshop workers weren't very helpful regarding proper fit

Sizing depends on the brand of skates..A good shop should have one of these:

For each manufacturer

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Nice sale on those Eagle gloves.

I'm still trying to find straight-up yellow gloves, but haven't had any luck in about 6 months of looking. It seems my only option is to do the custom Warrior thing, but I can't justify dropping $240 on gloves :(

How big are your hands?

http://cgi.ebay.com/EAGLE-X3-YOUTH-...b#ht_1018wt_905

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
My holders cracked so I got me some new ones:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002