Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Make sure your not over tightening your skates too much either.

When I was breaking in my new skates it was hell for the first 10 hours, then mildly uncomfortable for the next 10, and now they feel like natural extensions of my feet. I use yellow Superfeet + Underarmor hockey socks as well, they really did make a big difference during break in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Anyone here use/used skate fenders? Hows the ankle protection from them? I have a few bone chips floating around my ankle from getting in front of slappers and poo poo and they seem like a good idea to me.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I think mostly everyone gets the whole "shut up, get in the box, do your time" thing. BUT the guys who don't get that, will never ever, ever get it.

We where playing in our championship game Saturday, we are down 4-2 but we just scored those last two goals in 2 minutes and we have 6 minutes left in the third.

We're in there end looking for number 3, and one of our best players is getting shoved a bit in front of the net when no ones around. So he pushes back a bit and the D man takes a dive. Our player gets nailed for it. Now he wants to argue it, and worse off he argues that it was retaliation (You never get off for saying "he did it first!") and ignores the ref when he says "get in the box or your getting another 2 for unsportsmanlike!"

So yeah that totally killed our momentum. Use your loving head, that shits stupid enough in regular season.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
When I started playing hockey again after 10 years away I signed up in a league like that. What really surprised me actually was that it was the scrappiest of the two leagues I'm play in (the 2nd league is people like me, aged 25-40, played hockey growing up but not AA or AAA or anything).

And I'll never understand why but they seem to attract these guys who want to dangle around the whole team, rarely loving pass and totally freak out when someone plays the body on them like you did.

Actually I think the one guy on our team won the scoring title with 32 goals 2 assists and he would bitch and moan if you put him on defence and he couldn't skate backwards. And every team had one or two of them.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Our pick up game was after a Bantam AAA game last week and it was like trying to skate on the surface of the moon. I asked the rink guy if the zamboni was hosed up and he told me he would have to just scrape it 2-3 times and then flood it before it was "good" again.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

Dangerllama posted:

Something sounds wrong with the ice - probably too soft to begin with. I play at two rinks, one that has suuuuuper soft ice, and one that has relatively hard ice. Each is home to a junior AA team. Only the rink with the soft ice gets noticeably different after the kids skate on it.

Yeah the ice in there is really soft.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I've got a pair of Graf 502's and fairly wide feet and the break in on them made me want to cut my feet off. At least when I would bring them back for sharpening the skate guys would try to knock out any pressure points that where bothering me.

They're fantastic now on the other hand, I don't have a single complaint about them, other then that I have to check the bolts on blade holders every 4-5 games to make sure they haven't worked them selves loose.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
So I'm 6'4" and I would like to buckle down a get a pair of better quality sticks.

I hate however, putting those wood shaft extensions. I find they kind of mess with the balance and flex.

Back in the wood days some companies would make taller wood sticks for guys like me, does anyone do that now with the composites?

Edit: I get in the way of shots but nothing crazy like diving slides in front of the point or putting my face in the way of the guy with the rocket slapper. Most of the time I just take it in the shins/skates. I've been dinged in the face good twice but both of those where from a team mate taking a swing at a rolling/bouncing puck and having to shoot of in a crazy direction.

Petit.Conan fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 19, 2011

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Yeah I have a bunch of mid level stuff and I try to upgrade my worst piece every season to something higher end.

I really wish I spent more/was more picky with my skates, but sometimes I think I have to get burned hard to learn a lesson.

I really like my Bauer 8500 helmet, it's so light and that gel pad stuff is awesome comfy and it breathes real well too. Also the reebok 10k shinguards I picked up seem to be basically bullet proof from all sides, they where a little heavy/bulky but I'm use to them now. I really want to get a pair of higher end Tackla's this year but my Sherwood's haven't really given me any reason to curb them at all.

Edit: Yeah it's starting to seem that way. A friend told me Pro Hockey Life sells a small selection of tall composite sticks, but he's like 5'6" so I think they all look tall to him. And I know Easton sells a couple of mid level sticks that are a few inches taller but not really tall enough for me.

Petit.Conan fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 19, 2011

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Yeah I love suspenders too.

I never found that my pants where falling down or over tight or anything, but when I use suspenders it makes sure they are in exactly the right place at all times.

It also spreads the weight of your pants out more across your upper body instead of just leaving it all on your hips. Which I find helps you lengthen your stride a bit easier, or at least allows for a bit freer movement.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Yeah I play 3 x 15 minute periods and everyone will start looking for a chance to switch at about the 45 second mark. The first couple games guys would try to go 1:30 or 1:45 before trying to change, but you could seem them totally drop out of the game in the third.

Everyone in our league has played about 10 years of minor hockey with a lot of those guys playing a few of those years in AA or A.

I'm really enjoying it more then when I started playing again in that adult beginner league. The ref's here are a lot better, the team works together a WHOLE bunch better. I figured I should push myself and try to play at the highest level I could with my abilities as a hockey player. I also know there are guys still playing in that beginner league who are much better then I am. I think they just like being the big fish in the little pond.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I'll second those 10k shinguards again, I took a wicked slapper in the leg and seriously never noticed the impact other then a thump and a bit of vibration out of the pad as it bounced around in it's suspension system.

You can also remove the padding and throw it in the washer or whatever it's just velcro'd in there.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

bewbies posted:

Also for the guys looking for longer sticks, this might be an option for you. I saw a tall guy using this last time I skated and he swore by it.

Yeah that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Half the guys in my league don't even wear a visor. The other half is split between visors and full cages. The only issue we run into is it's pretty lol when two cages start throwing punches at each other.

The only times I've almost had my bell rung by a puck where my own fault from dangling my stick loosely while blocking a slap shot from the point. Both times it unexpectedly hit my shaft and popped up into my visor.

On the other hand I would love to find some anti-fog that will last me a whole 90 minute game (3 x 15 minute). Most of the off the shelf stuff holds up fine for the first two periods but I usually end up fogging terribly in the third.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I have a pair of Easton s17's and I think it's the nicest palm I've ever had on a glove.

Also you get a lot more movement out of your thumb in the s17's due to their segmented padding which is great for picking up poo poo quick off the ice.

They seem to take fine to being thrown in the washing machine too and they dry pretty quick. The synthetic palm also never seems to stiffen up when drying.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Yeah I would make sure you at least have an assortment of bandages so anyone who gets a minor cut can get it fixed up quick on the bench rather then heading back to the dressing room.

Edit: I'm also looking at getting a new pair of skates so far I like the Reebok 8k's the most. I would love some 10k's or 11k's but I'm not sure if my skating is strong enough that I would notice a difference.

The only reason I am going for the 8k's is that the last pair of skates I owned and really liked where a pair of 3k's. Eventually I started to feel like I was out skating my 3k's, so I upgraded to a pair of Graf 502's and I just can't get comfortable with them. I feel like I have lost a ton of speed and my balance on backwards maneuvers is terrible. Also if I don't lace them just right I get terrible lace bite and will probably spend the 3rd period on totally numb feet.

I don't really know anything of Easton and CCM skates and I haven't owned a pair of Bauers since I was 16.

Should I make the jump to 10 or 11k's? or should I save $100 and just get the 7k's? Do other brands offer similar/superior skates? I've budgeted for something in the $400-$650 CDN range, but I don't want to end up with a pair of high end skates that I hate a year later.

Petit.Conan fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 3, 2011

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Yeah I'm in the exact same boat for shoe size / width. I found even with a pair of banged out 10.5 D's they still pinch the poo poo out of my feet. You can get lots of ice skates in E and EE width don't let the salesman cram you into something just because it's all he has in stock.

Mission's Axiom line seems to come in EE right from the A3's up to the T10. Other then that your hosed until you hit $600 Bauers.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Also joining the new skates club

Also picked up a pair of 2010 CCM U+ pro sticks for 50% off.

Hockey starts next friday and I can't wait.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to Graf. I want to love them but I just can't get comfortable in a pair.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
6'4" and I wear 17" Reebok 10k's over tongue. I use to wear some other brand in 17" and they where at least 1" shorter.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

JamesRay posted:

jeez it's been a long time. In case any of you care, the team I'm playing in, we won our div during the summmer (lowest div though). This winter season is my transition from Forward to Defense. I'm doing pretty good.

I'm doing some upgrading with my gear. I'm thinking I'll go with the Reebok 9K elbow pads and shoulder guards. My main concern is that I want shoulder pads that are low profile.

I'm planning on getting some new gloves. I've got an old pair of Bauer gloves, and my buddy swears by EAGLE PPF gloves. I'm thinking of getting my gear off hockeymonkey.com and my price range is about $100-$150.

What do you guys think?

Sherwood 5030 are the only shoulder pads you'll ever need.

For gloves I think the Easton s19's are the best bang for your buck, but I've never been a fan of Eagle gloves either.

Elbow pads just get whatever is most comfy. I found the elbow cups on Reebok's are way too deep for them to sit properly on myself.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

lazerwolf posted:

I heard that the palms in those gloves are terrible for durability. I tried them on at hockeygiant and they fit amazing but if the palms won't hold up it sort of deterred me

The palms on mine don't seem to be wearing any faster or slower then any other glove I've owned.

After 2 seasons my left palm has a small hole pin hole worn through where it rubs on the butt of the stick. There is another layer of material below the first however and it is still un-damaged. Right palm is totally fine, no real ware at all.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Those 5030's are pretty much a staple for beer league here. Usually about 50% of the players wear them, or the "high end" 9950 version. Your not going to find anything lighter or more low profile.

If you really want to look like a space man you can always try these Farrel H500's. They look about the same weight/size as the 5030's but with a bit more chest protection. Never ever seen a pair in real life however.

Nothing wrong with those Reebok 9k shoulder pads either.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I really don't give a poo poo what you wear on your face, your an adult and can deal with the risks/benefits.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Well I've had a few games on those Reebok 11k skates now and all I can say is that they are the single greatest thing I have ever spent money on and worth every penny.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

sellouts posted:

I actually want a super stiff boot with additional ankle padding but will probably end up custom ordering if I decide to go the pro stock route.

Reebok 11k's are basically exactly that.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
My Graf's and Reeboks where the same, I had to sharpen them at about the 6-8 hour mark (preferably 6). The 3k's I started with I sharpened every game, boot fit so good but that steel lost it's edge so fast.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

Fingers McGee posted:

I have Supreme One 35's and they don't budge.

Have these too and they are awesome

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I usually just kneel on a exercise ball like this. Start off just balancing for a 30 count 4 or 5 times, and keep working your counts up until you can stay on there forever.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I find the wood plug changes the balance/feel too much for me, so I just play with the full stick. But I really only had half a hands worth of plug in the end.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Signing up for these adult power skating lessons is about the best thing I have ever spent money hockey wise.

I've always considered myself a very strong power skater, but I've let so many holes seep into my technique over the years.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Power skating power skating power skating power skating. Seriously circle drills and Mohawk transitions and cross over starts and learning how to use your edges while building up all those stabilizer and power muscles. You'll skate faster, turn tighter, stop quicker and out accelerate.

The gym is great for general fitness and yes it gives you an edge over people who are not in great shape. But the best thing I've found for improving my staying power for hockey is better skating and more skating.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

Anders posted:

What I get from reading this thread is that I really need to analyze my techniques when winter comes around... I have no idea if I do crossovers correctly, I just always assumed I did

Find a local adult power skating class if you can they will correct all your form and eliminate your "weak" side. You will spend about 70% of your time on cross overs.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Find someone who is a really strong skater to watch you and tell you what your doing wrong then I guess. I just find I'm pretty terrible at dissecting what I'm doing wrong in my own skating form.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Playoffs start tonight, too bad we managed to loose half our roster over this season, mostly to injuries suffered playing other sports :( drat you baseball / ball hockey.

I'm not totally sure why our GM picked up 6 forwards to replace 2 forwards and 4 defencemen, but every game we play now feels like some kind of re-enactment of the Pittsburgh/Philadelphia series.

I also scored last week by managing to ricochet the puck up off the goalies inner thigh and then into the back of his jock.

No jock provides anyone with enough protection for a puck from that angle.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
What's everyone do for pre-game, game time and post game nutrition and hydration?
    Pre-game I usually eat dinner as normal if its a late game 9:30pm or later. If it's earlier I try to just have a light meal of pasta. Then I have a cup or two of coffee an hour or so before game time and a good handful of raw almonds.

Game time I have a bottle of water and a bottle of Gatorade. I never use to drink the juice until our league switched to 3 x 16 minute periods. Now I find it helps give me a bit of a second wind in the third period.

Post game I usually have a whey protein shaker in the car and then some Rye and a beer or two around the corner or at a team mates place.
Now, I feel like I've lost my aggressive edge lately, I mean during a league game I'm about as energetic as I am when I'm playing pick up. Tonight I'm going to crush a energy drink instead of the coffee and see if that helps. Hopefully I'm not awake a 3am going "Why oh why did I drink that?".

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I'm about 230lbs and use a 3/8's.

Energy drink was a big success for me on Friday, I think that's going to be a regular thing now for myself.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I think your just seeing good hockey players take good wrist shots.

http://youtu.be/oqkozdIt-Qg

edit:

also http://youtu.be/kLr63oWYxWk

Petit.Conan fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 10, 2012

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

delpheye posted:

I'm curious about opinions on mouthguards. I don't know anyone that wears them because you can't talk for poo poo, but in the back of my head I feel like I should. I have to find one that doesn't impede my ability to yell at wingers when they get out of position. I took a weak, poorly aimed slapshot to the chin a couple of months ago and it split open pretty good and I decided that maybe a mouthguard would be a good idea.

Pretty much everyone on my team wears one, I think only the cage guys don't and our one token guy that wears the absolute minimum of equipment.

I don't find talking on the ice to be bad because all your really saying is easy stuff like "switch back" or "center!" and "high slot." I pop it out on the bench and put it in my glove or hold it until I'm near jumping out again.

But go to an orthodontist and have one made there, they are only a few dollars more then the over the shelf ones and a lot thinner, and more comfortable. You'll probably get dry mouth like crazy but it goes away after a game or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I had a pair of Graf's and my feet started to hurt around the 2nd period and would go numb in them around the 3rd period. When I took them off my feet would just throb like crazy. Some times it felt like I would lace them just right and they would be fine, but it was pretty rare. This went on for like 3 seasons (1 winter and 2 summers) so it wasn't break in or anything.

Eventually I just wrote it off the to lovely fitting and got a new pair of Reebok's and now I can play forever on them and feel fine.