Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Those skates will be great when they're on clearance for 249.99 next season

(which is how I feel about almost every high end skate ever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Those MLX skates look bad rear end. My skates are 12 or more years old at this point and MLXs are the first pair that is making me consider replacing them.

Someone (bewbies) get these things and tell us how they are.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ace, the IceAngeles league sounds pretty cool. Basically they don't have a draft skate and place you based on team needs each season and your previous experience.

If anyone is SoCal based and looking for an alternative to Toyota Sports Center this might be it

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How does your team let you get away with that tape job

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It took a while, but the thread now has 'that guy'

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The best way to fix fogging is to wear your helmet properly and wear a cage

edit: not to sound like 'that guy' but it is pretty funny to see people actually ask if quitting smoking will help them in a heavily cardiovascular athletic activity

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 13, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

we had a bedpan for the last place team, wasn't nearly as sweet drinking from that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's not a question of if but when when it comes to not wearing a cage

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cheat. Go early, watch the puck not where it's landing, learn the rhythm of the linesman, etc. Or if you've got someone else that is athletic on the line go for the tie up and have them come in and get it. Usually most low level teams won't react fast enough and you can do this a few times before they might catch on. Then if they're expecting the tie up you can try to swoop in and win it cleanly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You can work people over with set plays off of faceoffs, but good luck getting a bunch of "learn hockey as adult" beer league players to remember what they're doing and where they're supposed to be.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Beat me to the punch. This drill owns.

To build up to this I would recommend focusing on getting a good push, staying low with knees bent as much as possible, and coasting on one skate with the other skate lifted. do this in a straight line for as long as possible. then the other leg, repeat. Get used to perfect balance and control using each skate and then each edge. no wobbling.

Oh and keep your head up at all times, don't look down.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If your problem is your left foot, you should try CHEATING by just using the outside edge of the right foot to stop

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

lizardking posted:

When I turn left I want my right foot forward and left foot back right? I just for whatever reason have no sense in how to position my weight and find myself putting too much weight on my back foot and leaning back which probably means I need to bend my knees more. I have no clue.

Transitioning from rollerhockey?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Does anyone have a stick bag they're looking to sell? Need one for an upcoming trip in a few months. There's gotta be some ex travel hockey players here who don't use their stick bag anymore!

I hate buying new equipment.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you can keep your energy and intensity up ... I loved skating in the 2nd game more than the 1st.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Loqieu posted:

Glad I had the forethought to pack a cooler full of beers to the locker room also.

The best coach/organizer.

This is how you keep people coming back, I'm really surprised more teams/rinks don't do this. If it keeps up, get ready for word to get around and members of the other team popping by to commiserate about the game until someone offers them one.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Rinks that are super strict about alcohol -- by chance do they sell it at the rink?

One rink I played at switched policies when they got their liquor license.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

I nearly broke my stick I slammed it into the goal post so hard.

Don't be that guy... especially if you are spending that much cash on a stick. It's C league hockey. It's really not worth it :shobon:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My missions from 1998 or whenever I got them were true to shoe size. 9 shoe = 9D skate.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Haha, yeah that video was me. Obviously I knew it wasn't going to count which is why I just skated away. In hindsight, I should have rode my stick in celebration to try to sell it.

Best part is that even after the ref called the obvious no-goal, everyone lined up at center as if I did score.

I cant believe the other team let you near the crease again after you pulled that poo poo

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ace did you sign up for that IceAngeles league? I did.

Also might have a lead on a Tuesday night pickup game up in Burbank. I think that's pretty far for you, no?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

nice, what level? played at tsc but this is my first season there... I think I'll be in bronze as I havent played in about 18 months

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Acethomas posted:

I think I found the page for that burbank game, looks like they do tues and wed, they have some numbers listed too, I guess I'll call tomorrow and see what they say about the level of play / how many people show. Have you heard anything? Also I heard they started regular pick up at TSC on the new pond rink.

Level is from canadians to a guy I know that started playing last year. I've heard they're real cool.

And gently caress TSC. If these new leagues/pick ups work out I won't go back there.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Alizee posted:

first game notes

Congrats man, great to hear your first game went pretty positively.

You will be shocked how much you progress from game 1 to your last game. This will increase so much more if you can get out there and practice with stick and puck, open hockey, drop in, whatever you have.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KnightProjekt posted:

Bronze currently, as I have not played in a year or so. I need to get my legs back.

I like the league better then at Culver City(who the gently caress puts the locker rooms up a flight of stairs?) or Lakewood.

Cool man, going into bronze as well. Haven't skated in about 18 months so I need to get my legs back as well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How terrible is the skate sharpening at Culver? I need to get mine sharpened but don't have time to go to El Segundo to do it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don't get it. If you aren't tired at the end of your shift you need to skate harder.

Most beer league shifts are too long to begin with, so in my experience if you're complaining about ice time you should take what time you have and sprint even harder.

Playing short benched sucks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

Have you ever played D rolling six guys? Unless you're 50, out of shape, or playing check hockey you're just not going to get fatigued.

Yeah I dunno, I mean maybe if you're spending all of your time in the offensive zone standing at the point you're not going to get fatigued, but in that case I don't mind because it's too fun to be upset about ice time. If your team is doing that well you should try cycling around, moving positions, etc. Also if that's how it is for the majority of your games, you need to move up a division.

If you are skating back and forth, battling in the corners and in front of the net, you should probably be getting fatigued. You don't have to lower a shoulder to play a physical game. But if you're doing all of this and still are not fatigued, have a center or winger cover you and skate the puck up. If there are 6 non-fatigued people on the bench in the 3rd period the wingers are probably tired and wouldn't mind you leading a rush. If they're not tired as well, you should probably move up a division.

In a competitive hockey game there is plenty of space and time for a full bench to get tired. If that's not the case, I would look at however you can move into a division that allows you to play competitively.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

why is anyone recommending that a guy who is in his second game start learning how to take slapshots?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

WouldDesk posted:

On another hand, for the 12 years I have played, I have always been the number one or two scorer on the team... not once have did I tally a goal a slap shot. Not even in practice.

This is me exactly.

Alizee, slapshots are silly for new skaters. They require the most time and coordinated effort, which as a new skater you won't have as people will be coming towards you quickly. They also have the biggest risk for turnover and odd man rushes.

Learn how to take wrist shots, elevating the puck WHEN YOU WANT TO ONLY, then work up to snapshots, then you can learn how to take slapshots.

Lots of goals get scored along the bottom of the ice as well, don't underestimate the value in a hard, ice level shot put where you want it to go.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I thought you just used your hand? :thurman:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

And they don't have to pay for a new stick when they break it every 2-3 games.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Welp, looks like I get thrust into the worst time of the year to buy new skates.

Took a shot off of the toe, didn't hurt terribly bad, but felt like i had rocks in my skate that were digging into my feet. Turns out the top of my toe (plastic) cracked and the pieces were in my skate. I skated the rest of the game but obviously this won't last.

The hole is basically where my foot is, and the crack runs from the right all the way to the edge.

13 years is a good life for skates, but I am loving bummed.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 17, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah but what to choose? How can I find pro stock skates at the beginning of the season?

Bewbies stole the last pair of pro stock TotalOnes on ebay in my size. Vapor APXs? The MLX reviews on ModSquad have scared me off and I honestly have no idea how to describe my foot and what I like/need in skates because it has been over a decade since I've thought about it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

zinc68 posted:

The last thing you want (probably) is prostock skates. They are pretty much all weird sizes. Just go to your local store and try on everything until you find something that fits.

I actually want a super stiff boot with additional ankle padding but will probably end up custom ordering if I decide to go the pro stock route.

Found a new pro shop here in LA on MSH that is all about customization. Going to see if they can repair the toe cap to buy me some time

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Picked up a pair of custom Bauer TotalOnes with limited edition black holder and 2 extra LS-2 steels and Eagle skate covers (which, like their gloves, own). Obviously used but don't smell at all and have new Bauer insoles

900+ dollar skates with the custom build + cost of the additional steel and holders.

Got em for $132.50.

Having really small feet owns sometimes. I think with a bake the few tight spots will work their way out and they'll fit perfect These are light as hell, I can't wait to skate on em.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 22, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

Except when they're small enough that you have to buy children's sizes of skates which are not exactly noted for their durability and in which many manufacturers don't even bother to produce high end skates. :(

6D sized feet here, sneaking in under the wire for adult sized skates! (I actually wear 6.5D but TotalOnes run about a half size smaller)

Went to my first game of the NHL season last night, seems like 60% of the players are wearing some variation of the Vapors, 25% are wearing Supremes (TotalOne) and 15% are wearing something else.

Bauer really has the market cornered when it comes to the pros. Whole lines were shifting only wearing their skates.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hockles posted:

For people that do inline:

I just switched to new wheels, I brought my current bearings from the (now) old wheels to the new wheels. I wiped all the dirt/dust off the bearings and sprayed them with WD40 when swapping them out. Before I switched, all 8 wheels spun continuously for a few seconds. Now, 3 of the 8 wheels only spin for roughly a second. What could I have done to make them spin less? What should I do to get those wheels back to working how they did before I switched them?

Been a while since I've skated on such a terrible surface as asphalt, but from what I remember the spin without weight in the skates is caused by a loose axle. So if you put new spacers in that might be, or it might be the wheel itself gripping the axle tighter because you haven't distorted the wheel by skating with your weight on it.

This shouldn't affect speed. Do the bearings make a noise and a scratchy sound? How old are they?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thufir posted:

All the poo poo I have seen started in my short playing career has been by really young guys, like 18-22. I'm not old but I'm pushing 30 and I don't really care if some 20 year-old thinks I'm a pussy. I have to go to work tomorrow and I paid my league fee, I don't want to get suspended and miss a game over some bullshit.

You haven't been playing long enough.

It hits a new level of pathetic when the guy doing the instigating/fighting has to go calm down his kids after he gets ejected because they're upset because daddy was fighting. Which happened today...

Had a "placement game" today where apparently the first 3 weeks are spent with the lower division teams play the winners of the upper divisions. One guy on the other team took 6 penalties, got a game misconduct, and threw punches when he slammed a guy who might be 5'2" into the boards and thought that the dude getting up meant that he wanted to fight. I don't even know.

I emailed the league director and asked him what the point of that was. The team won the upper division last year and they scheduled them against my team, who apparently struggled in the lower division.

EDIT: And this team had a ringer who looked like bewbies, right down to the scruff and black sweatpant socks.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

nahanahs posted:

What do I need to work on to develop more strength in a shot? I'm fairly sure I can throw harder than I shoot. With a ball or roller puck, I can pick corners and everything, but a regular puck just kind of wobbles off my stick.

It's probably a technique thing like other people will mention here. Just don't forget to keep working out and doing regular strength training for all parts of your arm and your core. Even your legs with the weight transfer. Seems like many beer leaguers think the problem can be solved by getting a new stick, more flex, different curve, etc when there comes a point where you'd be better served by just getting a little stronger. You could be a bodybuilder for all I know, so this might be all for naught.

Also, if you want a stick that will cause you to shelf a puck (and have a joke of a backhand) look for a Sakic pattern.

I just realize I've probably dated myself and they likely haven't made those in many years. :sigh: