Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

what does pitch have to do with it when you can just get a custom radius and add a degree of pitch if you want it? I think I’ve even seen +1.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I used 85 to start and I also didn’t cut it down at all. It made up for earlier inadequacies in my skating a bit but man I couldn’t handle the puck worth a poo poo.

20 years later I decided to cut it down very low and love it - but even at 75 I find it very stiff and at 65 or intermediate sticks I just broke them every few games. Sucked.

As most things in hockey basically this is a strength issue at this point. But I’m also in extremely casual pickups so who really cares?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I grew up having to wear em and will go back I guess. They’re a hell of a lot more comfortable than what I started with.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

Last night I got invited to a private skate by a big group of friends. 3 hours of ice, beers, and pizza. 15 people per team. 3 goalies. $60 and they cut the ice midway through.

If you score a goal, you go to the box and drink a beer. It was some of the most fun I've had playing hockey in years. It's invite only so there were no assholes and almost everybody knew one another. Skills ranged a lot but everybody was chill.

I scored three and by the time the session was over at 11pm, I was feeling it. The pizza at the end and hanging with the group was fantastic. A+ would gladly do this once a month vs league play.

This is fantastic. I’ve done similar but not with the goal and have a beer in the box bit.

My goal next year is to host one of these.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pretty drat cool, man

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The chains poo poo absolutely sucks but those temps are fantastic.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

. C'mon Amazon, accidentally mark hockey sticks back down to $7.50.

Hahah man I forgot about this, I absolutely loved every stick I got from that sale

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yep I notice as well. A crisp, new stick feels so right but I’m with you. Gotta use it until it breaks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

loading up for passes lmao come on man

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Eagle River pond hockey got cancelled due to warm weather. We only did that tournament once and there’s not a lot of backup options for that area. Sucks for those were planning on going.

Edit: reading the comments looks like USA Hockey hosed up getting the alternative site reserved and now there’s a snowmobile race. Also sounds like it was getting worse every year which makes sense.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 24, 2024

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Shout out to HZ who sold me his old Easton helmet however many years ago. I have loved it and used it for pickups which are my exclusive way of playing hockey now so it’s a lot of use. I took an extremely hard fall and it did its job and stayed on and secure.

I realize now it’s likely past its expiration date and I should probably move on but it served me and my strangely shaped head well 🫡

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm still wearing the helmet I replaced it with.

I’m sure I could still wear it but that was the hardest hit I’ve taken to my head since high school so I should probably retire it

Also what I get for trying hard for once lol

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

This was me backchecking against a guy who got his cup of coffee with the Amerks so he’s far better than I and I was going to gently caress with him and grab his stick while he was giving the goalie a chance to read his shot to help them practice but instead he cut back and didn’t see me and I think just kind of took my legs out and I was spun around in air and landed on shoulder and head. My jaw bit into my mouthpiece haaard.

He’s a homie and I was trying to gently caress with him but just a weird play.

I don’t spend time in front of the net without my glove covering my mouth and I just let the folks without stick control do their thing to avoid almost all conflicts

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also I’ve gone on and off working out but after 200 days of travel last year and the consequences of that I committed back to it and after 15 weeks of it, it feels drat good to shoot the puck harder and be able to at least maybe sometimes catch a more skilled player when they’re being lazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

jettisonedstuff posted:

What sort of workouts are you doing? Weights? I went from kind of average speed to one of the fastest guys on the ice just from building up my squat numbers. The difference between going from untrained/low level beginner to upper level beginner lifting is incredible.

Weights. Mix of kb db and bb. Lots of pressing.

What helped my speed the most was lengthening my stride. Squats help with that. Sliders. Whatever keeps the blade in contact with the ice as long as possible.