Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I've gone back and forth with getting a girdle. But no near hockey stores to try one on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Who videotaped me?!?! Something similar happened last week, puck was played out of our zone at the goalie. I was skating towards him and he went to pass it out and fanned on it. I also fanned on the puck laying in the drat crease with a open goal. Probably should have just left the game after that.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Doctor Butts posted:

Jock, skate socks, shin socks around ankles, skates, shins, put shin socks up, pants.

This is the way.

I typically tie and let my feet get used to them. Then tighten when the zam is on the ice.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Chill la Chill posted:

I’ve been scouring message boards looking for the best tailbone protection in pants and it turns out there really isn’t any. So I’ll just go for ones with good thigh, hip and spine protection. Likely CCM HP45XP or warrior covert or Bauer nexus.

I have the CCMs, best pants I've ever had and fallen a few times on my rear end and only one time did I feel it. But that was because of the angle of the fall and not because of the padding.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Chill la Chill posted:

Got my CCM HP45X pants and they're great. I forget they're on after a few min on the ice and I like the butt padding. Don't think I'll be getting anything further padding wise. Stickwise, it seems like CCM's P92/ Bauer P92 or the P88 patterns are good starters? I'll likely just go with whatever is available in wood and get a composite later.

Yeah those pants are the best.

I want to say P92 is the most popular curve. As others have said probably going to be your best bet to learn with.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Well we finished top of the league so got a buy. Played tonight against one of the teams we have the toughest time beating. It was a tight game, lost 4-3, with them getting a weird swinging at the puck goal. But they're a bunch of good guys who we were drinking with in the parking lot so it's OK.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

V for Vegans posted:

the glove shitter league.

That was one of the best loving stories I've read about hockey.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I'm right handed/footed for pretty much everything I do. But I can not do left over right crossovers. My right foot/ankle does not feel that strong. Its been that way for as long as I've been skating. I can stop with the right foot leading. I'm fat and old and ok with where I am in playing hockey. Our daughter and one niece are left handed so at times I wonder if I should have been left handed.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Same. I prefer to stop with my left side.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Pleads posted:

Div 9 playoffs are serious business

https://streamable.com/ynai8r

Lol. It always cracks me up in beer league when dudes get so pissed they break a stick on the boards/net. Just of get drunk in the parking lot like the rest of us.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Last game of the season, I got taken out as I was scoring, and I landed weird on my hand. Been a month+ and still hurts with certain movements. Probably should go check it out but :effort:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've been skating 5/8 for awhile and found it helped me a lot. Or it was enough of a placebo effect to feel like it helped :lol:.

I do find every once and awhile, I'll get chatter on a fresh cut but then it goes away after a few minutes of skating.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Wait, I thought warming up the goalie was taking a clapper when their back is turned.

During the summer, I play with a different team and I shake my head every time during warmup when they don't even try to warm the goalie up and just shoot on net.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

I don't remember anyone taping our last warm up.

Jhet posted:

One of the goalies last night in a game had to be retrieved from the locker room. He was one of the first people there and ready according to his teammates, just wanted to come out for zero warmup.

One of our goalies is like that. Most of his goals against him are in the first period.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Whenever a goalie scrapes the ice to get their crease how they want it, it reminds me of a cat using a litter box.

Thread title right here.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

shyduck posted:

Other musings:

- Went back to a girdle (Tackla) after a few years in pro stock pants. Immediate improvement, I wore a girdle for over a decade and don't really remember why I switched in the first place

- A teammate of mine dropped over $300 on a pair of True pro stock sticks from Pro Stock Hockey, and they both snapped after maybe 10 skates

- Another one of my teammates constantly shows up to games over a period late and we don't know how to get him to stop short of kicking him off. It doesn't matter when the game is either and it's getting tiresome. We also suspect he has a substance abuse problem and he's related to another teammate, so that just adds to things. Nice guy, but man

- My 3 y/o daughter is learning to ice skate and she can take steps unassisted now :3:

I've been thinking about doing a girdle but haven't bit the bullet yet. Love my prostock pants, a ton of protection.

I wish my daughter would try skating again, she fell during a learn to skate and refused to try again.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

bigbillystyle posted:

For mask in your cage stuff CCM made these things when hockey first started coming back https://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-ho...CoaAvnfEALw_wcB

Not sure of the effectiveness as one of their bullet points says this Added protective barrier that also increases the protection from contamination of those around them
and two bullet points down says this This product does not eliminate the risk of inbound or outbound contagion

But it is a mask specifically made to go inside your cage.

E: I have not worn one so I can't give any anecdotal knowledge but I just remember youth hockey made masks mandatory I think and CCM came up with this as an alternative to the regular blue disposable mask.

Back in January 2022 they implemented an indoor mask again and I wore that. Actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Was a tad hot so I'm sure during the summer it's bad. One guy on a team I play with wears a n95 and cage the entire game. Don't think he ever changed it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I think we paid $5k last season for 25 games plus at least a playoff game. It's pretty much the closet rink to me. They end up melting the ice from May to August. I did find a place about an hour away that is much cheaper but still a good drive.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Oh man had a beautiful redirect tonight. Defense saw me moving across the slot. Threw it hard at me, and redirected off both posts, had a nice ring on both of them too. The ref started waving it off and it trickled past the line. Felt like I knew how to play hockey. Lol.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
As morbid as it sounds, I think I'd be OK to go out on the bench/ice.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

This is also why teams should be 10 skaters or fewer.

This is the way. We had 7 against a team that crushed up 9-2 last time we played them. We lost with 30 seconds left. People always skate, pass, and shoot smarter with fewer people.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
If anyone on the East Coast gets a chance the Hockey Fights MS tournaments are a lot of fun. We lost in overtime in the championship but it was one of the best games we've played in a long time.

Plus we had some random dude during the first game yell gently caress off back to Delaware. :lol:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
That's my fear when along the boards near the zam doors. Almost always gaps in the ice.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I thought the Supreme also had a wider toe box.

My teammate played with a team called the Predators. Their jersey was the Predator in a thong, with the goalie's mom name tattooed on the leg.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
The Sparx is an awesome thing to own if you live in an area where getting a good sharpening is nigh impossible.

I had the chance to play on the Flyers ice on Saturday and then get cheap tickets to watch the game. I told our 5 year old daughter she was going to watch me play and then we're going to watch the pros play really fast. She got upset because she wanted me to play in both games. :lol: She did fall asleep during our game but was awake for the Flyers, guess we weren't going fast enough for her.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I've gotten a Sparx sharpening once and it was fine, but it definitely didn't feel as sharp as when my local hockey shop does it on the grinder.

Which is interesting because I feel like my edges are better off of the Sparx than anything locally. I think as with any sharpening, it all depends on who does it. I'm extremely anal about my setup and check that I'm lined up with the center, etc. They did release a new item that will use a laser (:lol:) to measure if the edges are even. I'm curious to see how good it actually is.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I found that once I bought one, the way I sharpened changed. I found I would run a single pass to freshen up the edges and feels like I do less major sharpening. I also do a lot of sharpening for my team when they need it and when we do tournaments I toss it in the back for my car for parking lot sharpenings.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
If I'm not mistaken P92 is the most popular curve so you should be good. You may benefit from starting with a 65 flex if you are going to cut it down. Since cutting down increases flex.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I thought most sticks were just 5 lie now, I can’t remember seeing the lie on a stick since I bought two piece Warrior sticks 10+ years ago. I could just be an old man with no attention to details though.

Warrior does things differently in regards to lies. Apparently for them a lie of 6 is actually closer to a 5. I find Warrior works better for me on similar curves because of this.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

LowOnCyan posted:

After many years of frustrations, I caved and have just now placed in an order for a Sparx machine. I printed this off https://www.printables.com/model/472407-skate-hollow-gauge and confirmed my suspicions that the local sharpeners don't really pay attention sometimes.

Anyone have any tips or pics of their Sparx setup?

I have their V1, I'm curious to see what their laser edge checker is like. Where I have complaints about it, they changed on the next two iterations, mainly cleaning it. The other issue is that it can be tricky getting the ring aligned as it relies on you looking though a magnifying setup to see where a line on a ring lines up with a thin piece of metal. If you are not straight up and down you can get the wrong alignment.

They may have fixed that in the newer versions so it might be easier. I've contemplated emailing them to see if I can do a trade in and get a discount on a new one.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

V for Vegans posted:

I watched a YouTube short of that dude in the hat who coaches kids not to pass or deke and realized I was shooting completely wrong. Worked on it in warm ups and I’ve seen a big improvement. Feel way more useful as a defenseman now that I can actually get the puck to the net with some force.

I’ve been wearing a shirt with an integrated neck guard for years but usually kept the neck part open for ventilation. Definitely had it done up completely this weekend though. I tried to play with a mouth guard when I first started but didn’t like the feeling. Now that I’ve been doing jiu jitsu with a mouth guard though I wonder if I’d tolerate it better on the ice. Although, most games my biggest contribution is chirping so maybe I should stick to not using it.

Grab a SISU, you can basically speak normally when wearing so your chirp game can keep going.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Pleads posted:

I'm sad there's no audio.

I'm sorry Verman but sound was requested: https://streamable.com/4c2p9f

It's amazing how the puck can find the soft parts no matter what.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Would love to have his and her sticks but my wife isn't too athletic.

Fun times to drive through a nor'easter for a 10:05 game and 6 skaters. I'm very tired and will be worthless at work tomorrow.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
How are you liking the Hoapa? A friend who is 6'5" has a hard time finding sticks that aren't stupidly expensive and where he gets a different blade pattern each time. Might have to recommend this to him.

I ordered a pair of sticks from Custom Hockey Sticks around black Friday when there were running a deal. Still waiting for them to ship, so I'm interested to see how they feel.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Going back to goals, our top league collapsed so a bunch of those guys dropped down to the mid-league, who in turn had a bunch of guys move down to the fat, old guy league (i.e. my league). It's screwed up a bunch of things, teams with enough guys that people have to stand behind the bench instead of sitting. The fix to the inequality was to limit to 3 goals per person with penalty if there are 9 or more on the bench.

We have 7 last night against a team who normally has 8-9 but ended with 15 guys. We won in OT with 8 seconds left. I am very tired this morning.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I've had Bauer S180s for like 5 years, but suddenly now the left side of my right skate is pinching me like crazy, to where I think it needs to get punched. Moleskin doesn't help at all. Whenever I've gotten skates punched before, it's always been on brand new skates with hot spots. Has anyone else needed to get old, broken in skates punched? Seems weird that it would just suddenly start hurting like crazy.

I have the S170, about the same age, and getting a similar issue. I'm wondering if the foam is breaking down.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
That is the same way I lace my skates. I also like having waxed laces for keeping it as I tied it.

Will be playing game 5 in 6 days. So tired and hurting. We're doing an over 40 tournament and are probably the only team with all players over 40, with most over 50.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Also a great feeling when you on the blue line and walk it in and score. Happened to me a few weeks ago, as I'm skating in to take the wrister, I'm thinking to myself why isn't anyone coming for me. Goalie made a similar comment after the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
It is a thing of beauty to see a overweight old dude skate in a straight line. LiveBarn will show how beautiful it was but they have to show it at quarter speed because it was too fast.