Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

The RBK elbow and shin pads are the only ones I've liked. Also you can get the Under Armour shirts with the rubber dots on the arms that really help your elbow pads from sliding around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

I'm 2/2 on draws against this guy:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=31049

So I have a 100% faceoff rating against NHL players, no big deal, who's counting?

Also, I tried to fight this guy:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=110227

Luckily for me he told me to gently caress off instead of accepting. It was a short while later that I found out he was drafted by the Oilers and was a WHL goon. Oops. :stare:

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

I don't know how relevant this is, but I thought I'd share a comment/strategy. In situations like these and other 1 on 1 races to the puck I'll sometimes try a "bluff" bodycheck. Where (in a non-contact league) I take a line that looks like I'm going to play the body. At the last second the other guy will usually look over at me and see that I'm staring right at him like I'm going to body check him. This will usually get him to pull up, protect his body and brace himself for the hit. I stop up short and while he's expecting a hit that doesn't come I get strong on the loose puck or chip it away and go hard after it.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

sellouts posted:

Yeah you also mentioned a few posts ago about actually trying to start a fight with someone during a game so yeah, this is probably pretty effective for you. Also your name is bigmike.

Dude wore a silver chain on the outside of his jersey and a tinted visor every game.

I don't think I've gotten a fighting major in at least 4 or 5 years. Pretty much since I started paying my own league fees. Yeah, sitting out 5-6 games at about $120 worth of lost hockey ain't fun.

(bigmike was a high school nickname I got because I was (and I guess, still am) very skinny)

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

lazerwolf posted:

1. Is there a better way to transition without compromising my balance

2. Is there a better way to read this play. Should I turn to face the defender and continue forward skating with him

Depending on how late you are to the play, yeah, you're better off not taking any strides towards that guy. Remember, he has to come to you eventually and when that happens you want to be pretty close to his speed. I would recommend just taking a couple forward strides back to your own zone and then just switch to skating backward.

2. Since roller is 2 forwards vs. 2 defensemen (whereas as ice is 3F vs. 2D) it allows you to be a lot more aggressive before the puck arrives. Ideally what I would do is close the gap between you and that foward before the pass is made. You don't necessarily need to play man to man, but you want to threaten the lane where the puck carrier is more worried about you intercepting the pass. With this aggressive approach you have to worry about that forward streaking by you for a breakaway so you need to know if he's much faster than you so you can cover that as well.

You want to disrupt whatever that player wants to do. Is he a selfish puckhog and wants to go coast to coast? Cheat over towards the double team and make him pass. Does he want to start a 2 on 2 rush? Take away the pass and force him to beat a guy one on one. Use your weapons defensively. Do you have a good stick? Are you a fast skater? I'm one of the faster guys in the league, but not that big. I always try to bait guys to take an outside lane and skate around me. As soon as they do, I can close on almost every guy in the league.

A lot of hockey theory assumes players are similar in skill, so there is a "right" way to play and a "wrong" way. It's good to understand these fundamentals but the majority of beer league involves 'ringers', average players and lovely players. Understanding how to contain the ringers and exploit the lovely players makes a huge difference in beer league.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Had a game at 10am today then had to race across town to another rink for a game at Noon. Played with one sub in the first one (roller) and then 3 subs in the second one (ice). drat you Irish holiday.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

http://www.launchskates.com/

Calling it now, the next innovation in hockey skates will be dub rims runners.

Still not the craziest hockey related thing some cooky Canadian invented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2En4aBctIco

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Ah, but have you seen the wonder that is Three-Way Hockey yet?

http://www.hyperinfo.ca/GS.Sunatori/2007-04-02.html

For some reason, I think I would probably play the hell out of this if it were a thing.

I love that they use the example of the excitement of Canadian politics as the reason to get the "original spirit and excitement" back in the game.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

What's the correct thing to do when coming in for a change and the puck ends up in your feet?

Exactly that happened to me tonight, my replacement hadn't hit the ice yet so I scooped up the puck and made a quick pass because several opponents were converging to take possession. This seemed fine to me, but a couple guys on the bench groused at me for doing it.

I mean, the real failure to me seems to be on the doofus that was trying to pass to me when I was clearly headed towards the bench (had my hand in the air and everything).

Yeah that's fine, but in most cases your replacement will already be on the ice before you get to the bench which is probably why you got groused at.

During your change, that puck is grenade, so you gotta dive head first over those boards!

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

sellouts posted:

Too old for this but you act like an 8 year old?

You should probably quit now and be thankful you still have your head on your shoulders after that.

It's okay, they all had cages on. No one was hurt.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Thufir posted:

Yeah I would say go with Icewarehouse first but they don't seem to carry Graf. Their prices are sometimes a little higher but I don't think Hockey Monkey does free shipping. IW does free 2-day on orders over $200 too so good for skates.

IW also does free return shipping on all skates so you could get a couple sizes and return the one that doesn't fit best. I've never done this but every time I've had to deal with IW, things have gone smoothly. They even helped me warranty a stick that was out of the warranty period - it was a shaft and I ended up with a full one piece from the manufacturer.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Internet Victory posted:

Signed up for adult men's league as individual.

Got email from one team, 3rd worst in league last season (3-16) short on guys.

Told them ok.

Got email from another team, 3rd best in league last season. Will have 2 full lines if I play.

Other team says if I don't play for them they'll most likely buckle the team due to not enough players.

What should I do?

I know I already told the first team I'd play for them but I'd rather not play on a team where there's a chance only 6 guys are going to show up. Is it a dick move to change my mind and play for the other team?

Going 3-16 generally isn't a lot of fun for everyone. Not that winning is the most important thing but unless that team is really tight and have known each other for a long time, its going to be a pretty grumpy dressing room and experience all year. If they're struggling for guys now, what's it going to be like during the season? On teams like that, when guys have plans they'll usually chose that over getting shitkicked 8-1 by a top team, leading to potential forfeits and lots of games shorthanded.

This isn't true across the board, but if you're making a blind decision, do what's best for you and go with the better team. Chances are you'll be playing with better players, learning more and having fun because you're winning more games.

The most important thing about any beer league team is how the team gets along in the dressing room. Ideally you'd like to hang out with both teams or play a couple games before you decide but it doesn't look like you get that luxury. Personally I'd be really cautious about a team that's really bad and has a short roster. Like I said, they'll probably be short all season and could potentially fold halfway through if guys stop showing up or, worse, don't pay their league fees.

Their captain saying they're going to fold if they can't get one more warm body on the bench doesn't really sound like a team that committed to me. With pretty much everyone taking vacations, summer league is bad enough as it is for short benches. Just say you can't commit to a team that's one guy away from folding.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

I spent a year dealing with some of the worst concussion symptoms you could have, if it gets bad, feel free to PM me and I'll share anything I can with you.

Don't ask me why but I found Rooibos tea did wonders for my symptoms.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Lawnie posted:

I'm gonna see how I feel in the morning. If I even have a headache, I'll go to the health center on campus and get checked out.

If you do, I'd be curious to hear what your assessment and treatment plan were. I'm pretty jaded when it comes to doctors/hospitals and concussions and it would be interesting to hear how your health center deals with someone who's walked in saying they have a concussion.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

I do Rippletoe's Starting Strength and crossfit. I like them both.

Every single criticism of crossfit is something that can be avoided. "People do insane amounts of reps until they get rhabdo and die". Okay well, don't do so many reps. "Crossfitters force themselves to do wild kipping pullups until they blow out their shoulders". Okay, don't attempt a set of 50 pullups if you can't do 5 yet. "Crossfitters will do compound or Olympic lifts at weights that are too high with horrible form". Learn correct form and find a range that's suitable for you. "Crossfitters wear silly socks and make fun of anyone that does anything different." Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

Instead of making constructive criticism and changes that improve crossfit, people completely dismiss it as being entirely useless. Crossfit does a lot of things really well. Yes, they encourage some stupid things - DON'T DO THOSE THINGS.

Right now I'm doing Starting Strength 3 times a week and after I supplement with crossfit work. I absolutely love both aspects. SS builds your strength, and the cf work I do is great for conditioning and athleticism.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Do the kneeling on a swiss ball right up against a wall or mirror until you're comfortable. That was you can either roll into the wall or put your hand against it to stabilize yourself. Then you can work up to standing on swiss ball and doing squats. Also putting the swiss ball on a padded mat will help stabilize it a little bit as well.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

D C posted:

In our roller hockey game last night we came back from 5-2 and won in the last minute 8-7.

They had a guy that kept throwing hits and playing rough, in the hand shake he purposefully pulled his hand away from mine, classy guy.

This is literally one of the worst things anyone can do in hockey. It's completely disrespectful to the game. People who do this should be banned from all things hockey for life. Guys have tried to kill me out on the ice and I'd never pull my hand in the handshake.

Down 2-1 in a best of 5 series, we came back to win game 5 in double overtime after being down 3-0 10 minutes in to game 5. I scored the 2nd and 3rd goals to send it to OT and then had a clean breakaway to win it in double OT but couldn't score. After a rush back the other way I got a 1 on 1 and made a nice cut and got knee'd to draw the PP which we scored on.

About a month ago one of my teammates mentioned that I opened my wrists on my wrist shot and that's why a lot of my shots would miss wide right. I showed up to game 5 about half an hour early and worked on one shot: high slot, shooting far post. On the game tying goal I was wide open in the high slot... the shot went far post and in.

This capped off a dream season where I had the most goals in the league in both the regular season and playoffs (finished 3rd in points for both as well). I don't think I've been as high as 5th in the stats at any time, or ever finished a season in the top 10. I doubled all my career highs. (Playing forward for the first time obviously made a big difference)

Definitely the craziest hockey game I've been a part of. Against a team I've been rivals with for the 8 years I've played at the rink. I can't imagine how it must feel for them. Up 2-1 in the series and then 3-0 in game 5.

After the game, one of their players brought us a bottle of champagne that they had planned on drinking after the game if they won. Probably the classiest thing I've ever seen in beer league. This feels like when Iginla got all the Flames to come out of the dressing room and shake Linden's hand after his last NHL game... I can't hate these guys any more.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

One more thing. The guy that kneed me was wearing a cage... pretty sure that cost them the championship.

He was also bleeding from the nose in the handshake... can anyone explain that?

...maybe a concussion so bad that he was bleeding from the brain?

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Hockey Monkey is having a 20% off sale with the coupon code SPRING2012 on certain items. I just picked up 3 Warrior Dolomites for $88 each. Love these sticks.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/spring-cleaning-sale.html

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

StyleFresh posted:

Does anyone take any pre-game supplements or anything like that? Somebody let me try some of their Jack3d like an hour before the game and I definitely felt a boost in energy. I probably won't go out and buy any but it came across my mind.

Caffeine makes me too jittery and I lose my hands if I take it before a game and any sugary drink will make me crash hard during the game. Right now I make my own mix of Creatine, Glutamine, Beta-Alanine, Taurine and some Crystal Light for flavour. It's super cheap since I'm mixing it myself and I don't get any of the negatives I just mentioned from sugar/caffeine.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

poser posted:

Have fun going to bed at 2am!

Jack3d makes my heart race like crazy and I'm kind of scared of it now... 1MR makes me feel like a beast in the gym. Different stims/PWO seem to have different effects on everyone. I guess you have to go with whatever works best for you. One of my teammates swears by NO Shotgun but I tried a scoop of his and it just gave me horrible gut rot.

(It's 2:30am now.... here's hoping I'll get tired sometime in the next couple of hours)

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

It's really disappointing how slowly cardio endurance improves. I've been a goddamn gym rat for most of the last year and my legs still feel ready to fall off at the end of a shift.

I have no doubts that I am better off than I was last summer, but it's so hard to quantify that every time my legs give out it feels like a total failure.

What are you training for legs? I've been working out for about a year and a half now and its the opposite for me, my cardio and strength feel unlimited out there. I don't think my skill has necessarily improved that much, but since I'm almost never tired or gassed I'm not making lovely plays at the ends of shifts.

Hockey really isn't an "endurance" sport. Riding a bike or running at a constant rate for 30-60 minutes doesn't really simulate what you go through in a game. You're basically sprinting for 45 seconds and then resting for 1-2 minutes. Even within your shifts, you're reaching maximum power or speed 3-5 times and recovering quickly within that.

One of my favorite cardio exercises are to tabata sled pushes. Basically you push a heavy sled across the ground for about 20 seconds as hard and as fast as you can. Let yourself rest for 10 seconds and repeat 7 more times. This trains strength, power and recovery. It's pretty much the perfect translation of a shift where you're breaking out, then maybe your team loses the puck and you have to bust your rear end back on the backcheck. The difference being when your team gets the puck again, instead of dumping and changing, you have the legs to go at a bunch of gassed defenders. I had this exact scenario play out in a shift last night and the look on the d's face of 'oh poo poo' was priceless.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

Walking lunges, skater lunges, lateral lunges, and backward lunges lugging around all manner of heavy things. With a side of lunges. :v:

To be fair, I went into this last May basically from zero. I sat at a desk job all day for ~10 years doing nothing but walking and made one of those "gently caress this poo poo I'm gonna get buff" decisions.. so I have a normal strength building program going on too.

There is improvement, but I definitely peter out before than everyone else. Not necessarily on a per-shift basis, but by the end of the game my legs are noodles when everyone else seems ready to keep going. I'm also wasting a lot of energy on bad skating technique, too much stopping and starting.

I've been doing starting strength which is 5x5 heavy sets of squats every day (three times a week) and I'll supplement with things like I mentioned above. High intensity, interval moves, like bounders (jump squats), box jumps, sled pushes.

You want to build your strength because the stronger your muscles are, the easier and more efficient everything will be for you. It sounds like you've got a solid plan for that. I'd recommend throwing in regular squats and going as heavy as you can.

The other part I'd recommend adding would be some explosiveness and recovery aspects to your training. Another tabata I'll do are jumping lunges (switching back and forth). 20 seconds on/10 seconds off. You can really do almost any movement as fast and as hard as you can until you feel like your heart is going to explode out of your chest. The other part you work on is shortening your rest/recovery time. You'll feel like you want to rest longer - don't. Try starting your next set while you're heart is still racing. You don't get to choose when a loose puck becomes available or when you have to get going on the backcheck. Put yourself in those positions when you're training.

Verman posted:

Be Niklas Lidstrom.

If only...

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Interestingly I got that problem when I started playing ice again despite playing roller twice a week (and playing with only 3 d most games). I don't really get it anymore. I don't know if I can attribute that to my workout routine or just playing ice regularly now.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of deadlifts at all. It seems like there's too much that can go wrong. I get that it's an effective exercise and zillions of people do them without issue, but there are a dozen other ways to work my back without having to worry if a lapse is going to cause me permanent problems.

My favorite lately is dumbbell swings, and they completely destroy my back. Well, they destroy my whole body if I do enough of them but the topic here is back exercises. :v:

Unless you have a medical condition and a doctor has told you not to deadlift, you really should do them. Learn from a buddy or someone at the gym and do them. All the best lifts for hockey are all very technical, squats, power cleans and deadlifts. Compound lifts teach coordination which is exactly how strength is applied in a game.

Start low and work your way up slowly. Do them once or twice a week and add 5lbs each time. If you start low enough, you'll get plenty of time and experience to learn to do the lift correctly.

I don't think it's a coincidence that I stopped getting pain in my lower back after I did the best exercise at strengthen my lower back. Plus, deadlifts are probably the most satisfying lift you can do at the gym.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Anyone who I've talked to that's used one absolutely loves the TotalOne. I'm using a Warrior Dolomite right now and it has the sickest release of any stick I've ever used. It's really light so its not going to be the most durable stick out there, but they're on clearance on hockey monkey for $85 right now. Not bad to get a $220 stick for the price of a blade.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

trilljester posted:

In my game last night, I was centering a line with a guy who is a really decent stickhandler, but he NEVER passes. Infuritating when you get a strong 2 on 2 rush into the offensive zone with him, and he stops up short at the blue line and tries to stickhandle by the D guy, gets poked check which leads to a rush up the ice the other way. I was wide open, he just needed to fire it over to me and I could have had a one timer on the goalie. Maybe not a goal, but at least a decent scoring chance. He does this all game long. Tries to stickhandle around 2 or 3 guys, loses the puck, and lazily backchecks. I'm going to tell the captain of that team not to put this guy on my line anymore.

Some guys are dicks, but other guys just have terrible vision when they have the puck. Don't be afraid to call for the puck, either. When I'm in traffic and am not able to see the floor well, I'll rely on my teammates to yell to me where to move the puck to.

Talk to him on the bench and say something like, "where do you want me to be on those 2 on 2 rushes?" It's kind of passive aggressive way of telling him to pass you the loving puck without sounding like a dick.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

sellouts posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. I hated the warrior blade I bought for my z bubble shaft so I need to find a good pattern I guess. I use Zetterberg for the EQ50 so I'll go look for something comparable or check out the TotalOne

If the Zetterberg is the same pattern that's been with Easton for years (the old Forsberg), then it's also the Savard in the old Dolo's. I believe that's now the Burrows in the Dynasty (which took over from the Dolomite) but I'm not 100% sure on that. This is the same curve I use too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Thufir posted:

So the hospital I work at is offering ImPACT baseline testing (concussion test) for $50. Worth it?

Isn't baseline testing just a bunch of reaction tests they keep on file for you so that when you think you have a concussion, you perform those same tests again and if you're slower then they conclude that you have a concussion?

It looks like you'd have to get this test every time you think you have a concussion and up until you feel "better".

Here's some baseline testing you can do for a one time charge of $50. Go buy an old copy of Mario Party off craigslist for $5. Play a bunch of mini games and record your high scores. When you get a concussion, go try and match your high scores. If you can't, you have a concussion. Now mail me $45.