Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003
I'll be interested to see how your footage turns out. I got a GoProHD a few weeks ago for some other work, but have stuck it on my hockey helmet a couple times. The camera under exposes because of the ice, but I think the Contour has Exposure Compensation, which is nice. Anyway, here's my clips, occasional cussing so not totally work safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4E-IpbSDAw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wR6fnBsEjY

I've used the 720p 60fps setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

The GoPro looks a lot better than the countour, IMHO. The wide angle and elevated platform make it a bit easier to watch. Maybe it was just the cage in the other one. This was actually pretty good. Image was stable, no camera shake to speak of.

My only complaint is the video makes it look like you're dumping the puck around the boards a lot instead of making tape-to-tape passes on defense :smug:

(OK, I talk poo poo because I'm terrible.)

Son of a...haha yeah actually that's something I need to work on. Composure with the puck on the blue line. The footage is just from a weekly pickup game I play in with some guys older than me, no pressure to perform super well, so I need to be a bit more confident with the puck and experiment a bit.

I've taken a basic hockey class from our club hockey coaches, and he talks about developing the skill to feel the puck on the blade without having to look at it. You'll notice in the video I've always got my head down checking the puck position before I pass/shoot. Once I get a bit better at keeping my head up, hopefully I can pick some more passes out.

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003
I bought my skates from IceWarehouse, returned a pair without issue. Had a good experience with their customer service, I'd definitely give them a call.

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

I'm making my own broomball stick -- what sort of glue should I use to anchor the head to the shaft? It's an aluminum lacrosse shaft and some sort of plastic head. Would any sort of universal bonding agent work is there something that will work better in a rink environment?

Also, I fell in a collision and got a really bad hip pointer so I'm looking into some sort of player girdle -- what's cheap and offers some protection? It's a no contact league but the ice surface never got that memo :smith:

Don't think anyone addressed this, but I've always used a hot glue gun to secure broomball heads, along with a self tapping screw or two through the head into the shaft of the stick. Never had one come off that way.

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003
I've seen some posts about the Tron hockey sticks that some were considering trying out, anyone actually do that? If so I'd be interested to hear about it. I got an email from them advertising their Sr. gloves with a coupon making them half off (TRONGLOVE if anyone's wants), and was wondering if anyone had tried them out as well.

http://www.hockeytron.com/tr174.html

They compare them to Eagle gloves, which I know get rave reviews around here. Unfortunately Tron doesn't have any retailers near me or I'd go try some myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sometimes, only cage/visorchat can get me through the long boring work days.

Until I'm in the NHL, it's cage all day erryday.

Agreed. For example, this just happened in my Sunday skate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JT_os2RbIE&t=3m42s

The guy in grey that takes the shot is one of our better skaters, not some new guy. He's a little off balance, fans on the shot so there's no resistance on his stick, and the follow through blasts the defender in the cage. He was still a little upset, I'm sure it hurt, but we'd be picking his teeth up off the ice if he had only been wearing a visor.