Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Great start to the thread. The last one was instrumental in getting me into hockey. This years mens clinic started last night and I was able to make second line d. I had some rust to work off since its been over a month since I played. It felt good though and I got an assist. Grabbed a loose puck and quarterbacked the play out of the zone then up to the fwds who put one in. I stayed and played in the night pickup after and felt even better against better players. A little sore today but not too bad afterall.

I've been using a bottom line composite since this fall. Mostly for the curve(p88) as the wood curves I've been using haven't been feeling good and there were more curves available in composites. But I've decided to jump up to a higher end stick and have a supreme one 60 on the way from ice warhouse. Should be here in time for next weeks hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Hockey night tonight and my new stick was delivered a day early. Not a bad turn around time for ground shipping from cali to maine. I would recomend ice warehouse to anyone looking for a stick. I was able to find a 10% off code too.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Do you guys think it's worth moving up from a vapor x20 to a x40 since they are on sale? The x20s are a year old and I've noticed that after a session they weigh a ton.

Ive been doing the adult skating skills clinic again for the last three weeks. Ive improved a ton since last summer and zip through most of the drills. Ive weeded out a couple bad habbits in the process. I signed up as a defensman but got to play second line wing last night. I did pretty well, I had two break aways and tried my best to shoot in stride and aimed 5hole each time, but I lifted it too much and hit his thigh/crotch both times.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Yes I meant the skates. Also yes they do not have thermoformable material. On a side note I did move from a supreme one 20 stick to a 60 and love it so far.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Speaking of X:50's I stopped by Play it again to get my skates sharpened, and see if they have any good deals on vapors, and to check to see if I'm really a size 7.5. I measured my foot and tried on a pair of 7.5 vapors and I am indeed a 7.5. They fit fine, my toe didnt rub at all. Ive been wearing 8's for the last year and wondering if they were a tad too big. Any idea how this change would affect my skating?

As for the skates they had all the vapors marked 35% off, and the only 7.5's they had were x50's which were marked at 449 plus the 35% off, and they said they would give me 40 for my x20's in trade. This was too good of a deal to pass up so I reserved them since I have to play tomorrow and wont have time to break them in. I'm excited.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Picked up my X50's today, got a free baking and sharpening. They felt much better after the baking. Ill be testing them Friday if the impending storm doesn't cause the place to close.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Got to skate on mine today and they felt awesome, the performance increase was very noticeable. They felt so good, I stayed and played pickup after and had a decent game, I'm very happy with them.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Breaking in new skates is awful :cry:

Mine have been ok, I was getting some irritation on the top of my right foot that was getting painful by the end of the night Tuesday. But I hope you did get them baked. Mine felt really painful before they were baked.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Yea my new stick is an 85 flex and I left it uncut. But my stick handling was suffering way too much. So I cut it down to the 96 spot last week and I am maneuvering all over the zone now. As for flex Ill just muscle it.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Yea I figured out quick that black tape on top sucks. How often do you guys re-tape your blades?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

shyguy posted:

Has anybody used the Reebok Edge hockey socks? Are they any better than traditional knit socks?

I just bought new socks a few weeks ago before my clinic started, my ccm knit socks that were almost a year old were chewed all to hell. I gave the Reeboks a long hard look thinking they would be more durable. But I thought they might be too long for one, and I didn't like the symbol on the front. Also I wasn't sure if they were looked down on since I didn't remember seeing anyone ever wearing them. Ive noticed funny things about people and gear. Guys wearing socks so holy they are just about threads, or just wearing sweat pants. They are only $12 locally so I thought it was odd. Ive seen some ragged gear, one guys cage was so rusted I think it might shatter if a puck hit it.

Also for being stuck on D forever after being put there in last years clinic, I made a transition to fwd this year. I even signed up as a D man, but I think my passing abilities are wasted playing D. I had an offensive explosion in the last 2 sessions. Although I still didn't score any myself, hitting 3 posts instead.

Fingat fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 22, 2011

Fingat
May 17, 2004

The Supreme line is pretty much black.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

At pickup Tuesday I decided to get in the way of a shot from a dude that played in the chl last year. I avoided everything except the stick blade that hit the top of my glove. Somehow it missed the padding and bashed the front of a knuckle. Its not too bad but has a greenish shade to it today.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Did he try to fight you?

No, but he is a dick and takes pickup way too seriously. He did mention last week he basically just fought while he was there.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

First night pickup session in a couple months and there was only three of us and no goalie :argh:
I got to work on my shot quite a bit though, my slapper is coming along nicely but my wrister is Jekyll and Hyde. I can rip a nice one off the cross bar or far post and then shoot a limp shot that doesn't come off the ice. I need a shooting board.

We did some one on one stuff which was fun. I pulled off a move that I had no idea I knew how to do this. I cut inside the guy held off his stick with my free hand one handed the puck to the net and then lifted a backhand into the top corner and getting a lil post *tink* as well. I have never made that shot before :aaa:

Fingat
May 17, 2004

It looks like he's wearing pajamas.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGUaVGu7drs

This video (posted a while ago I think) actually helped me, plus its old and funny. The part where Lief does the little drill of stepping over his feet going sideways, as soon as I did that the backwards crossover just clicked for me. Before that I couldn't wrap my head around what to do with my feet.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

This thread title. Played pickup last night, only 9 of us showed up so plenty of time to feel out of shape, and I played like crap. I couldn't pass, couldn't skate, couldnt do much. I ended up tweaking my back which messed up my skating which caused my knee to act up. Then I got hit in the chest with a wrist shot. I did have a couple of decent D plays though.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I wonder if I would get grief for trolling pickup with a pink tape job tonight.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I have always used black, and have been taping toe to heel for a while, but was heel to toe when I first started. I'll try out some white tape tonight for science! :pseudo:

Fingat
May 17, 2004

White tape trip report, scored 75 goals. Actually I felt pretty good in warm-ups. Felt like I had some pretty good control going, but I'm not sure the tape had a lot to do with it. As for pickup it was horrid. Some how Im getting worse, Im in a huge slump lately. I couldn't make a play at all, and kept turning over the puck. Then I got the puck in the O zone and just about froze like a deer in head lights and didn't know what to do. Then I got irritated and pissed off and had no fun. I was so looking forward to playing I skipped Monday night football.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

bewbies posted:

I played like absolute poo poo yesterday and it has me in a bad mood today. My god I was terrible.

I did last week, I'm going to try and get to pickup tonight to exorcize the demons, but I have to get out of work early. Hoping they let us go early.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Im 5'8" and I wear Bauer size 13's. I tuck my tongue under, and I have maybe a 1/2 inch between the skate and the guard on the sides.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I'm going to recheck my gap tonight. I'm looking to upgrade to some rbk 9ks soon, ill see how 14s feel.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I chatted with a guy in the locker room at pickup a couple weeks ago and he mentioned the other rink can do this cut now. I might have to try it out.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Double-posting to ask for elbow pad recommendations that actually stay in place. I've got Vapor X:40s right now, but the elastic straps are going to poo poo.

I have Supreme One 35's and they don't budge.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

How about wax? How much do you use, if any? I feel like my tape gets soggy even with wax.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I suffered some lace bite on my x-20's too. It was when I was first learning to skate backwards and was getting some extra pressure there, the lace cut a divot into the tongue. It went away after I improved my technique and made sure the laces where always flat(important). My current x-50's have an armored tongue, never had a bite problem.

Edit: Oh and to chime in on prices. Im in Southern Maine, there are like 5 rinks within 30 min of me. But I only skate at the 2 closest, day pickup is $5 for an hour at one and $8 for an hour twenty at the other. That one has night pickup $10 for an hour twenty. I haven't gotten into a league yet so I don't have detail but I think its generally only like 250-300 per player. Oh and the adult clinic I did was 260 for 7 2hr sessions.

Fingat fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 25, 2012

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I picked up an Int EQ30 65 flex today. I wanted to try a stick with more flex. Im not a big guy and have to cut a few inches off my senior stick which takes it to a 96 or so from an 85. I dont feel like I can flex it enough. The local play it again had them at 89.99 with 35% off so it was about the same as online. I liked the look and feel of the eq50 but didn't want to spend that much on an experiment. If I end up liking the 30 at that flex I might pick one up too.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Update my entry, I switched to Reebok 9k shins 2 weeks ago, They feel great and offer more protection at less weight than the one 30's I replaced, over the tongue still.

Last night I turned into a headcase. I'm playing in an adult clinic again and during the scrimmage I slowly devolved into an angry ball of hate. Sometimes that helps when I'm playing D but I was on L wing. There are only 10 guys in it so the talent level is spread thin. My line was having puck possession issues and it was wearing down on me. I try to have patience, some of the guys are never plays and I was in that spot just a couple years ago. But I felt like I had to do more than I needed to. But I was having a bad game on top of it losing some passes and letting a break away get away from me. Towards the end I knocked a pass off in the neutral zone and got a break away. I ended up over pushing the puck, raced to catch up only to over skate it at the net and lose it, I screamed motherfucker so loud in frustration, it seemed to get a lil quiet after. I hate it when I loose it like that, I need to work on my zen. It works much better playing offense. The screwy thing is I had about the best game ever just last week scoring twice with a few assists too.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I stopped by play it again for some tape and they had a used Easton Stealth Rs for $80, it was in decent shape so I had to buy it. I'm turning into a stick whore. I'm excited to give a run through tomorrow night.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I once took a weak saucer pass off the top of my old vapor x20's (tongue had no protection) that hurt like hell. Last summer a deflected puck hit me in the chest in the upper pec area just on the part of my shoulder pads that had one layer of foam. That left a neat square bruise. That same year I took a wrister off the crotch, thankfully the cup did its job and it didn't hurt really, thankfully it wasn't shot too hard, but it made my eyes bulge for a second. A couple weeks ago I made a play on goal on a quick break-in, went to stop, lost my edge and crashed feet and knee's first into the boards. Even with my new 9ks I bruised both knees pretty good. Recently I went to close the door to the bench facing away from it by hitting it with my elbow pad, missed and hit it with the less protected back of my arm, ah that was a good looking bruise too. I have never had any pain from shots/passes on either sets of skates or shins. I try to get out of the way and let the goalie play it more since I mainly play pickup. But I feel like the 9ks will hold up well.

Fingat fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 2, 2012

Fingat
May 17, 2004

lazerwolf posted:

Speaking of... Anyone use it yet? I'm in the market for a 2nd shaft/blade combo and I saw this was an option. I currently use the Bauer APX with a PM9 X:60 blade and I love the poo poo out of it. Instead of just grabbing a second APX as a 'backup' I figured I'd check out the new stick releases as well

One of the guys I chat with at pickup had tried one out. He hated it and sold it last week. He switched from a stealth rs and said the mako had no feel at all.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

ItalicSquirrel posted:

Also learned something from a trip to a Chicago-area Total Hockey - apparently Easton had a ton of issues with the Stealth RS blades cracking.

The guy at pickup that loved the RS cracked 2 blades too. I made sure mine was in good shape before I bought it. I hope it holds up, although I barely generate half the power he does on a shot. I'm right in love with the stick though, after pickup I got some time to really put it through some tests. I had great pop on my slap shots and snaps with good lift and spin on the puck. My shots with my other sticks mostly seem to have some flutter to the puck.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

During pickup Saturday one of the guys broke a puck in half after a slapper. No one claimed to have seen that before, have any of you?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Im pretty interested because its within reasonable driving distance and Id like to party/play hockey with some goons. But the $$ might be in question, although given the time frame It might not be.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Green Submarine posted:

Just remember, for half the price, you could get this, in which case you'd be know as "that stone cold motherfucker in the Cooper SK-10"

An old guy that shows up to pickup once in a while wears one of those, his gear is like a trip to a museum.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Gio posted:

After I score a goal, I like to slide along the ice and pretend I'm paddling a kayak with my stick while shouting obscenities at the opposing team.

This is awesome, added plus if the obscenities are in French. When I score I'm too much in a state of shock to celebrate.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I took a slapper off the front of my shin last week. It stung quite a bit, but the shin pad did its job and the bruise I had wasn't even ugly enough to show off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingat
May 17, 2004

When I was contemplating getting into hockey I was told by many sources that I was in for a lot pain in my feet learning to skate. But once I started skating I never had any pain outside of a little lace bite because I didn't keep my laces flat. I upgraded my skates and dropped half a size after a year and didnt have any pain breaking them in either.

Skip to last night I played pickup for the first time in a month and it was the second time out with some new laces. My biggest problem with my skates is my laces loosen up and I always have to re-tighten them after I warm up, even with waxed laces. So these new waxed laces are so waxed they are gummy. I ended up making the left skate a bit too tight, after about 10 minutes on the ice my left foot was killing me. Things loosened up a little bit as I kept skating and the pain went away. I follow the suggestion of the bottom couple of eyelets as tight as possible and the ones over the top of my foot just snug and then the 4 or so to the top pretty tight.