Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I can probably get my broken skate holder fixed under warranty, YAY!

It'll probably take 4 weeks, BOO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

poser posted:

How did it break?
Got in the way of a slapshot

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I bought suspenders when I started playing and had the damnedest time with them making my pants too high until I realized I had accidentally gotten junior suspenders and quit wearing them.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I'm about to ship my skates back to Bauer to get fixed and I figure I should put some tape or something over the runners so they don't cut through the box. Do I need to worry about tape leaving sticky residue all over them or will electrical or hockey tape be ok?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

cenzo posted:

I'm in the market for a (my first) pair of ice skates. In an attempt to utilize half my budget on skates thanks to bewbies' op, I started looking at the clearance stuff on hockeymonkey trying to find those end of the model year deals.

Here's my question/confusion:

The Easton EQ5 skate is listed with like a 50% 69% discount under clearance skates.

Does anyone know much about this skate? Is it good for a first pair? The Easton writeup says it's for advanced skaters, and that definitely isn't me, but is that just a marketing ploy?

I'm going to the pro-shop on the way home today to get an adequate sizing for potential online ordering and will ask the guy there too (but I'm sure he's going to be biased as poo poo to sell his stuff.)

After hearing some of the horror stories about skimping on/messing up first skate purchases, I'm paranoid that I'm going to screw it up now. :ohdear:

edit: sorry for the ninja edit, the daily deal dropped the % even more making me that much more worried.

I don't think you can find a skate too "high performance" for a beginner. The same things that make them beneficial to pros would be good for you too. The EQ5 would probably be a perfectly good skate for you but you shouldn't be choosing a skate based on % off, you need to try them on and see what brand/line feels right.

I'm not an expert on sizing but I think a decent approach would be to try on smaller and smaller sizes until you find one that's obviously too small and then go with a half size or so up from that. I wish I had done that when I got my first pair. I had no idea what a good fit felt like and went with size 9 which felt perfectly fine walking around the store, and I was able to skate in pretty well for a year but once I went down to 8.5 it became obvious that my first pair had been too big.

cenzo posted:

I don't think that's a terrible breach of etiquette but please let me know if I'm wrong.

That's kind of a lovely thing to do to a small shop and keep in mind that a lot of places will include the first sharpening and will bake them for free so that's like a $20-30 value.

edit: Also when my recently online purchased skates broke I had to pay to ship them back to be fixed ($12): the local shop guy would have done that for me if I had got them through him.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

poser posted:

My holders cracked so I got me some new ones:

Were the original holders black?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Yeah, it doesn't look like you're weighting the stick at all or rolling your wrists over on the followthrough
http://howtohockey.com/how-to-take-a-wrist-shot

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I had a rough day at pickup hockey. First I was racing for a puck and fell and went legs-first into the boards at almost full speed. My left knee hurt and I thought I had hosed it up but it felt fine after walking around on the bench for a little bit. Then, like my 2nd shift after that I caught a puck in the maybe 1 inch between my shinpads and skate, which loving hurts and is swollen.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Evil Mother Teresa posted:

Tuck your skate tongues under your shin pads. Maybe look into getting shins an inch larger. But the tuck does make a difference. Last time I caught a puck there was the last time I played with my tongues out. It was a sweet looking bruise, though.
I dunno why but for some reason every time I play with the tongues tucked something rubs on my ankle and I get a blister. Probably do need to look into some new shinguards.

edit: I'm thinking it hit the tongue which is pretty thin on vapor x:20 skates, maybe my x:40s would have protected better. Can't wait to get them repaired.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 30, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Your skates sound too big.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I see a lot of people try to kind of jump into their stops or do a really quick turn when they're learning, which doesn't really work. Starting out try more to slide into it. Do you know how to snowplow stop? Start doing that and then turn your hips while you're doing it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

If they're walmart brand they might not even be bake-able. If you can't get new ones obviously there's nothing you can do about it, but you'll probably feel a lot more comfortable once you get some that fit.

My first pair were 1/2 size too big and I skated fine in them for a year and I've gone back to wearing them now since my other pair broke. Mainly I feel like I get better transfer of power since my feet aren't sliding around or lifting out of the heel.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

coldwind posted:

BTW, you will probably want to spend more than $100 on your new pair of skates.

Alizee, If you spend $150ish you can probably get some pretty decent skates of last year's model.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Alizee posted:

If anyone can give me their opinion on which skates I should buy that'd be sweet cause I'm considering buying them tomorrow.

What are the Bauer skates, X:30s? Try them both on and go with what feels better.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

It's probably X:30s since I think the 20s were cheaper than that and the 40s are $250 on discount right now. X:30s are just fine for beginner skates IMO, if they fit you well that is.

edit: Bewbies knows more about playing hockey than I do so you should probably listen to him over me but I am skating on my old X:20 skates right now because my X:40s are busted and they do ok and the x:30s are a little nicer. Really sucks downgrading after you've used a nicer skate though.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 9, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Tarasenko Tank posted:

The equipment will be tougher. Since I'm still in school and have to rely on my parents for everything, they won't pay for it unless I put that much of a commitment into getting back into shape and showing work ethic. I basically need starter equipment. In your opinions, what is the cheapest and best option for a beginner ice hockey player?

If you live in an area with decent hockey stores go check them out right now, there might still be 2010 clearance stuff in stock but it will be way thin in the fall.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

X:20 (at least) and up Bauers are bakeable.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Nice, those look to be in pretty good shape.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Pulled the trigger on some Vapor X40 pants :toot:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Alizee posted:

Breakin in the skates, killed my feet friday. Less so today, they're feeling better, I can't loving figure out stopping for the life of me. Got 2 hours skating time on the new skates, hopefully after next two times out they'll be broken in :) I think I'm going to have to get one of my buddies to help me out.

Did you get then baked?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Verman posted:

Last night in the game prior to ours, a player went down into the boards and separated his shoulder asking for someone to put it back in. It looked pretty nasty, since nobody could put it in, he had to skate off with his shoulder out of socket. Shits gross.

Sounds like a dislocation, you can't pop a separation back in :eng101:

I saw an older guy get high stuck under his visor the other day at drop-in because some kid who had just started playing was too dumb to keep his stick down. He didn't seem to be bleeding but was pissed off and left. No thanks, I'll stick with my cage.

edit: Actually that same dumb kid crashed into my sternum shoulder-first a while ago and I was glad to be wearing shoulder pads at the time so yeah, full gear when playing except stick and puck.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 15, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

poser posted:

:whatup:

Man, I need to watch out for the Preds sale, wanna score some goods.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Just got my new x:40 pants in the mail. Wow, they have like a kajillion times more padding than the x:20s.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

poser posted:

[nerd]I wear glasses while I play, they fog like crazy.. any suggestions?[/nerd]

Contacts?

I don't see many guys wearing glasses. Maybe sport goggle things?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I have a question: Is lace bite just a generic term for any time your laces are too tight, or is it something specific? About a month or so ago I swapped out to some wax laces and things went okay for a bit, but after about two weeks of skating with them I got a swollen spot on the front of my ankle, like an inflamed tendon or something. Since the only variable that changed was the laces, I swapped out the wax laces for my old ones, but now it happens every time I skate. I always put my shin guard on the outside of the skate tongue and I don't generally do the laces really tight around my ankle. Has anyone ever dealt with anything similar?

I get that if I lace too tight on the middle eyelets. I like to lace as tight as possible through the bottom 3 eyelets, taut but not tight through the middle, and then tight on the top two. I guess it's also possible the bottom of your shinguard is digging into your ankle.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

So my summer league already pushed back the start date by a week because they didn't have their poo poo together. We're supposed to start Sunday and they were supposed to post the schedule and rosters this past Monday but...:effort:

edit: emailed the director about when we'd get the info and he said "probably today"

Thufir fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 23, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

bukowskiyouth posted:

Does anyone have any techniques to get your hockey equipment to not smell like death? My gear is starting to get so bad it fills up large rooms, and spraying febreeze and Lysol on it only makes it worse.

Hang it up to dry in a well ventilated area as soon as you get home.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Thufir posted:

I can probably get my broken skate holder fixed under warranty, YAY!

It'll probably take 4 weeks, BOO!

lovely broken skate update: Bauer was unable to repair my skate so Ice Warehouse is giving me a credit for the purchase price. That sucks balls, my skates were clearance X:40s so of course I can't get a replacement anymore and anything at the same price won't be as nice. Plus I paid for shipping on the broken ones and have to break in a new pair all over again. :sigh:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Ok, I have a $260 credit and get 10% off and free shipping. I've only worn Bauer skates so I want to stick with them. Should I drop an extra $40 and get the ugly Vapor X5.0s or $10 more and try the less-ugly Supreme One70s?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

poser posted:

Random but what size do you wear?

8.5D

edit: I guess I could also wait for the Preds equipment sale in hopes of getting a deal on something sweet.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I had my first ever league game tonight. The rink is only running one division for the summer so skill levels range a ton and I'm on a free agent team so I'm not expecting a ton of success but it was a lot of fun.

Trip report: Our goalie didn't show so we had a sub who couldn't have been more than 15 but really kept us in the game. We were only down 1-0 going into the third but pretty quickly gave up another one and then they scored on a breakaway. We've got some kid that just turned 18 and played some sort of junior hockey who is kind of a ringer and he got our only goal with a few minutes left. Overall we did a lot better than I expected, especially since we only had 7 skaters. I was falling down so much that some guy on the other team asked if there was something wrong with my skates. Na dude, I'm just a lovely skater and I've been out here for 6 minutes straight.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

The Preds practice sheet is definitely the nicest in town. The one I was playing on the other day I noticed that I couldn't really make out the faceoff circles aside from center ice.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Thufir posted:

Ok, I have a $260 credit and get 10% off and free shipping. I've only worn Bauer skates so I want to stick with them. Should I drop an extra $40 and get the ugly Vapor X5.0s or $10 more and try the less-ugly Supreme One70s?

I ended up getting these ugly things:

I think they actually fit me slightly better than the X:40s they're replacing. I skated for an hour yesterday and the only discomfort I had was from the insoles. I put superfeet in and skated 70 minutes today with no issue at all. Pretty impressive for unbaked skates with only 2 hours on the ice.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

StyleFresh posted:

Ugh yeah I just picked these up as well and I was a little turned off by the look but they were the comfiest on my feet and I dig the stiffness. I baked them and am skating in them for the first time in a little so hopefully that did the trick and got rid of my little insole bump.

It's not like the old Vapor line was particularly good looking either but to me these just seem to take the ugly one step further in some way that I can't quite put my finger on.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

dms666 posted:

One of the captain's in my lower level inline league always complains to everyone about trying to get teams to not use ringers in our league. He sent out an email right before the season saying he was removing the ones from his team, everyone should do the same, etc. I think their team had 5-6 ringers when we played them in the season opener last night.

Clever strategy

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I'm taking off work early next week to go to the Preds equipment sale. Hopefully new jerseys + lots of players leaving will mean tons of stuff for sale.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Will they be selling Shea Weber's beard?

Season ticket holders probably get the first shot at it :negative:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

poser posted:

Do you think you could pick some stuff up for me? I will pay for them + shipping?

Sure, what are you looking for?

edit: I've never been to the sale so I have no idea what they're likely to have.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I'm hoping it will be like Calgary's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

WouldDesk posted:

What are the prices like here? Set price or auction? And would a n item here be more or less than "in-store- prostock." Curious of these mystery auctions I hear about :iiam:

No idea, I've never been to one. I think it varies by team, some don't do it at all, some auction. There's a couple threads about team sales at Mod Squad Hockey.