Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Owns. A couple weeks ago our goalie got stuck in traffic so we played the first 6-7 minutes with 6 skaters. After the first period he came to the bench asking “did they not update the scoreboard yet or something?”. Nah dude, we shut them out without you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Same. We only have ten on our roster at all, though we’re risking going up to 11 next season to bring back a former teammate :ohdear:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

All the rest of our schedule is post-10pm on Tuesdays or Wednesdays :negative:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

We had the entire schedule posted at the start of the season. Then they fired the adult hockey coordinator and in the process found out that two of the teams on the schedule hadn’t even registered so it’s all in flux / being re-done

Thufir
May 19, 2004

League director scheduled us a “makeup” game on the Tuesday of thanksgiving week and then bitched at us for forfeiting with late notice when it turned out half the team was out of town and most everyone else was sick.

“Makeup” game for our first game of the season in which he scheduled us against a team that turned out not to exist.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Also occasionally play a team in the b league for “experience”.

lol that’s dumb.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

My other question: players who wear glasses, what do you usually do on the ice? I've been thinking about switching back to contacts anyway (just in general, not directly hockey related) but also was just curious. Thank you everyone!

I wear contacts playing (basically the only time I wear them). Wearing glasses and playing seems like a real pain in the rear end.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jhet posted:

Every once in a while I'll see some older guy who's almost certainly not wearing a chest protector either. It took almost two weeks to be free of the last welt on my thigh from taking a puck to a fleshy spot.

I skated for a long time without any chest/shoulder stuff and only got a bruised rib like once. Lots of people do it. I did start wearing them again because a guy on my team has an inaccurate loving cannon of a shot and I didn’t like the idea of catching one unprotected in the back or chest.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Yeah my team is slowly being converted to everyone using ABHS though it’s probably still too spendy for a beginner stick.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jock->shins->socks->pants->skates. Anything else seems weird to me.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

So how do pro stock clearance sales work? If you live near a team do they tend to have times when they have excess inventory at the end of a season and you can nab stuff for v cheap? I'll be buying gear because I need them, but would be nice to have maybe a couple backups if I can get them cheap.

They have them in the offseason but for NHL teams at least they’re probably a big draw for fans and souvenir seekers and unless you can be sure to get in with the first wave you probably won’t get usable gear.

Minor league and junior teams might be more manageable.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I just cut the arm parts off my shoulder pads, no regrets.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Also was wondering for those of you who picked up the game as an adult, how did you learn what systems or strategies to use when you got on a team? There’s no coach so you’re not really directed anywhere and I doubt most teams even have practice time scheduled during stick and pucks.

Do lower level teams just play on vibes?

Basically vibes plus I’ve played with some of these dudes for like 8 years so I know Kevin is always putting the puck up the boards to get it out of our zone and John is absolutely never going to pass in the offensive end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Gloves in particular, the few times I went to the Preds sale, the gloves available were all just absolutely destroyed and gross.