Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

poser posted:

I used one for roller with no problems. With ice everything just fits but its like doing a puzzle to get it all in the bag. I just dealt with until I started my own team and needed to bring a puck bag to games and purchased a bag that would fit all my gear and a puck bag. It might be a pain in the rear end but if your walking and taking a train it might be worth it.

I use really small pads/pants anyway. I figured I would just slip my elbow pads and kneepads inside my pants to save some space. I don't mind hanging my helmet outside the bag. Do you think that one would work? I wasn't trying to spend too much but they make it sound like half my poo poo wont even fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

poser posted:

I have an older version of this and everything fit but it was a tight fit

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=CXBP

It seems like for you situation playing tetris with your gear would be worth it.

Hm the one I want to get is slightly smaller. Did you get everything in that bag, helmet included?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

poser posted:

Everything fits but its tight

Oh man I am ordering this then. I wasn't even expecting it all to fit so if I have to keep the helmet outside I can deal. I probably looked weird trying to get through the turn style with my duffel and my sticks.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Aniki posted:

My feelings are kind of mixed on ringers. As a goalie, it's more interesting to face better shooters and I can totally understand someone wanting to play with their friends. That being said, it is annoying when you face a team taht is deadset on winning the beer league championship and all of a sudden you notice a lot of players that you've never seen before. I guess that my preference is that if you have a ringer, then always have them on your team, but if they magically appear down the stretch or during the playoffs, then it's a lovely thing to do. Try to keep your league as balanced as possible, so that it's fun for everyone.

Totally agree with this. If you're gonna have ringers at least have them part of the team the whole way. I hate seeing new guys appear the second the playoffs start.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
So I got that Warrior Hitman bag today. Fit all my ice stuff no problem. Mind you I am a smaller player 5'6 so my gear isn't that big but I was surprised everything fit.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

oddIXIbbo posted:

Perhaps it is just the phrasing you used but if you're gonna stand in front of the other team's goalie, getting a few shots in the back or chops to the ankle is pretty normal, even for a non-check league, in my experience. The slot is no place for a meek person, or those easily offended.

I am also curious how someone could...
- knock the stick out of your hands,
- from behind,
- while hitting you
...if you are playing defense near center ice to prevent a late goal. I would suggest that you keep a better grip on your stick and never let the attacking forward be in a position where you can't see exactly what he is up to.

It kinda defeats the purpose of playing back there if someone is able to get behind you.

Again, it might be the phrasing you used. The situation might be completely different from what I interpret but it seems like these are pretty standard events and not dirty play.

The stick got slashed out of his hands from behind. This can happen why not? This doesn't mean the person was directly behind him. Maybe off to the side you do have blind sides and a forward playing defense? You know his head wasn't on a swivel.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

It was so muggy here in Chicago today that there was a fog on the rink. :tinfoil:

It was so thick you couldn't see the opposite crease while behind the net.

I think more hockey games should be played in fog because it looked awesome. Made me wish I had my camera with me.

Nothing is more awesome than playing hockey in Central Park out doors with NYC in the background sorry! Also, + when its snowing during the game.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I know this was discussed but I can't find it in the thread. I have a problem with sweat just getting all up in my eyes while I play. My goalie mask has like this sweatband in it but my regular helmet does not. Do most of you guys just wear like a bandana when you have this issue? I was looking into the Underarmour one do any of you use it?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

19 o'clock posted:

I will answer this one with the whole "what do you drink during a game" question, too.

I bring a gallon jug of water to the game. I drink probably 2 gallons of water a day plus lots of tea. I live in the high rockies (very arid, dry environment) so maybe that's why I consume so much. I am also 6'7" and 230lbs, so lots of water helps me not die promptly beyond my first shift.

During a game I drink about 1/2 to 3/4 a gallon of water and also dump some of the jug in my face to wash sweat out of my eyes. I have a birdcage so I just knock my head back and dump it into my face. It's a good reason to bring a full gallon. I also don't have to refill my bottle between periods, which is nice.

I drink water in my gatorade bottle nothing fancy. This doesn't help when the sweat is pouring down my face while im still skating. I mean no big deal when I'm on the bench I can just wipe my face down or whatever. Just annoying when you're skating and looking around and the drat sweat is all up on your eyes!

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Habibi posted:

Any recommendations for good indoor wheels? The last higher end ones I used were the Revision Variants, which were really good but for all the took about how durable a wheel it is, mine started losing chunks several months in. I've since switched to a slightly cheaper Labeda wheel which doesn't offer quite the same performance, but has been going strong for about 8 months. I've had to take the last ~2 months off due to birthing classes that coincide with my league nights (yeah yeah) but am getting back into the action as of next week and want to get a new set. If it helps, I'm about 165 and want a wheel that's not going to slide out on me when I really dig in to stop or change direction at high speeds.

What surface are you playing on? The roller rink I play at uses wood I forget what kind. I use Rink Rat XXX there and they're fantastic.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Habibi posted:

I forget the specifics (maybe one of the guys here who plays at Rollin Ice recalls) but it's apparently a pretty spiffy surface. Some sort of plasticky / tiled one with holes in it. :)

I am not sure how good they would be on that kind of surface. On wood though the XXX's grip great and they have that softer outside with hard inside core. The ride is really nice though.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Ugh at an open hockey I saw this happen. My d-man cleared from behind our net and it bounced off the glass and right into a guy trying to keep it in the zone. Bam opened up a huge gash right under his eye.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

ManicJason posted:

And I haven't played roller ever. I feel like goalies should be paid substantial amounts of money to play roller. Screw that.

Absolutely agree. Roller for goalies is just awful.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

D C posted:

THEY CAME!

Like $2,000 in skates, ugh.

Man those are sexy. :fap:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I wear 13"s and I am 5'6. Isn't there a chart per brand?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Oh and I am an under with some cheap Bauers I think one15s or something

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I got this when it was on sale: http://www.hockeygiant.com/wetgearhoceq.html

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I went full speed into another guy at center rink once. We both saw each other and went for the puck and we both kind of braced and went into each other. Me being the shorter guy rocked the kid. We both got up was like you good and went on our merry way. Good clean fun contact.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
drat you guys must be iron men. I would think having a decent amount of guys like 12ish would be good. Play hard every shift and change often.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I have a Sakic also and yea I shoot high as gently caress. I pass really well with it though. What is a good pattern for say a mid height shot with good passing?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Green Submarine posted:

Anything with a heel or mid-heel curve and a closed or neutral face. Easton P4, CCM Lacavalier, Warrior Zetterberg, Reebok Duchene for instance. It seems that Bauer only makes pitching wedges.

Easton P4? I am assuming P4 is either Reebok or Bauer as Easton uses player names for their patterns.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Green Submarine posted:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-blades.html

Dunno, that's what it said here. I've never really used Eastons, outside of a borrowed Heatley once, and I don't really like either Cammalleri or Zetterberg, so I decided not to choose.

Ah the Zetterberg. Maybe I will take a look into it.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Though from looking at the specs it looks like the Chara might be what I want. Everything is similar to the Sakic except it is a straight face instead of slightly open. Wait is straight considered neutral?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

poser posted:

I possibly gave my self a concussion but I just lost my job and have no insurance. What do I do:smith:

You take it easy for a while and don't play any sports. Make sure you don't have any concussion like symptoms. I got a concussion and was out almost 2 months.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Only penalty I have ever had was me checking someone into the boards (non check league) and got a roughing.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

sellouts posted:

The 75 Flex EQ30 I got ended up cracking at the top where the hozzle meets the blade in one game. Guess that's going back for a warranty return. Hopefully it's not reflective of the 75 flex.

Oh man I just ordered this stick!

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
So I seem to bruise my palm area under my right index finger every time I play (I shoot left). I've tried putting more tape on the butt of the stick and that hasn't helped. Are there any gloves out there that have a little more padding on the palm side? I know this is probably unlikely but I figured I would see if anyone has any suggestions.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

How high up are you holding your stick? From where you bruised it, I don't grok how the butt comes into play at all.

I'm not sure what you are asking. My right hand is at the end of the stick. I don't notice how high I hold it up. Just at the end of a game or something it's bruised/hurting. I think I hold it normally I don't choke up on the end or anything.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
That does not sound pleasant at all. Did you end up with a bruised foot?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Yea a skater in regular gear should not be standing in front of the net. It's just a bad idea. You don't have the equipment on to stand there it just has all sorts of bad on it.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Anyone have Easton S19 gloves? If so are they any good? After shipping and with the code from hockeymonkey it comes out to like 73 dollars.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

toxicsunset posted:

Aw yeah, new laces

I want some pink laces =(

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Oh yeaaaa getting me some pink laces!

Edit: I wear size 7 Bauer X:30s what length laces should I get so I don't have to wrap it around or anything. The laces I have now are just right.

Surfing Turtle fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 9, 2011

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I wear x:50s, size 7.5 i think. I usually get 108" laces.

And that's just right or do you have to wrap around the extra?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

toxicsunset posted:

I would get 96" if i were you. I can almost get away with 84"(i tried once) on my 7ws.

Alright doing this for science.

Edit: also getting some for my goalie skates

Surfing Turtle fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 9, 2011

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
So on top of my pink lace purchase I also got EQ50 gloves oh yeaaa

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I would do all of that but unfortunately I am boring and prefer to wear a cage.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Wow that is incredible customer service. I haven't tried my EQ30 yet but I should in a couple of weeks. For science!

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Aniki posted:

Just people who wear inline pants on the ice or goalies who don't wear safe equipment. I don't care about the white gloves or visors, though I generally expect the guy in a blue tinted visor to be a decent player and it is funny if they're not.

Inline pants on ice infuriates me. Also, goalies with unsafe gear make me want to rip my eyeballs out. I generally find the guys that go out of the mold with their gear visors, pink, etc have the skills to style on fools anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

toxicsunset posted:

We played against a goalie the other night who had no hockey pants on underneath his pads. When he dropped to his knees you could see skin.

When I first started playing net I did not have any knee protection. It only took 1 puck to get in there to get me to wise up. With my old pads I wore goalie knee pads. My pads now have an attached thigh wrap that covers that whole area. Having no knee protection is just super dangerous.