Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I think the most important part of any shot is weight transfer. I think like 80% of my shot power comes from my legs. Especially on a slap shot you really have to lean into it. It's going to be hard for a beginner to have a powerful shot until you are totally comfortable on your skates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY06CZF_MDQ

I posted this video in the other thread and it led to a pretty good shooting discussion. I obviously didnt make it to be an instructional video, but especially in some of the slow-mo stuff you can see my hand position on my stick and the weight transfer into the shot, but again take it with a grain of salt I was just messing around on the ice and not every shot (if any of them, to be honest) was properly technical.

You can also see how closed my stick blade is on the low shots, and how open (even/especially on the chip shots) my blade is when I'm shooting high.

D C fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
So if I get up early enough tomorrow I'm going to go to stick and puck and give this a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Q47-U0OjY

Dont mind the messy condo.

Going to record at medium quality 720p and 60fps, not sure how the wide angle will look at speed but we'll find out, I'll also do some recordings at 1080p 30fps at high quality, its got a smaller viewing angle, and see how that looks

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

Of course, to hear your average color commentator describe it, the backhand is as weak as a baby and almost impossible to aim!

Just for the love of god dont use a backhand to clear the puck out of the defensive zone, it never works.

I ended up having to do some work stuff today so I couldnt try my helmet cam at stick and puck, so next week it is.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bigmike posted:

Easton also has their S19 which has a nearly indestructible ultra stiff outer shell with very limited padding on the inside. It's made of the same material as motorcycle helmets.

I have an s19 and I love it, the second time I used it I got tripped and slammed my head into the ice then into the boards at full bore, I got a bit dazed from the shock but there was no pain in my head and no effects afterwards.

I'm pretty confident it would have been more painful with my old helmet, but obviously I cant say for sure, I've had 3 concussions from hockey over the years, the worst one was from doing almost exactly what I did recently. Except I was skating faster and I hit the back of my head on the boards.

I have a fairly new Bauer 4500 that I've been using (I've had tons of helmets but always end up back at the 4000 style), but when I found the S19 and one that fit me I bought it right away, price be damned.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

Considering the way alcohol reduces your inhibitions, it probably does help. Hockey requires a willingness to put yourself in unsafe situations while balancing on a pair of razor blades, getting a buzz going makes you forget how much it hurts when things go sour.

It's a fine balance though, too much and it just sits in your stomach and ohh god its horrible.

One of the guys on my college team would drink sometimes before practice and he was scary out there, could hit like a truck.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Some guy on my playoff game skated right into my shoulder, full on headshot status, and he was on the ground grimacing with his eyes closed. I skated back to him to ask if he was ok, then looked at the ref who shrugged at me so I jumped back into the play (the other team had a delayed penalty). He got up and took 2 full on, but unsuccessful, runs at me.

Made me angry I stopped to see if he was ok.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Wolfy posted:

Yeah I played there when I was a kid, it's a nice place with a decent pro shop. Would you recommend taking these skating classes for hockey? It's been a long time and I never learned any of these fancy hockey maneuvers anyway.

Wait, 'as a kid'? How old are you? I played there the first year it opened (for the Senators) and part of the year after that.

[edit] Oh poo poo just realized that was like 9 or 10 years ago, I'm gettin old.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bewbies posted:

I broke out my old inlines and I am going to try roller hockey this afternoon on a sport court kind of surface for the first time. I haven't played roller hockey on a "rink" in 15 years or so and that "rink" was a piece of parking lot with pads arranged in a rough oval. Also I played a bit at the lovely roller skating rink I worked at in grad school, that was just as fun.

I am also going to be putting these aesthetically pleasing contraptions on my feet for the first time in a couple of years

Roller hockey is a strange and scary world to me :ohdear:

:ohdear: Dont try and stop like you do in ice hockey! Also dont fall like you do in ice as well. you have to roll on the floor, falling and expecting to slide is so painful.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Yeah its best to try and spread the damage out a bit.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Playoff round robin game #2 tonight!

Team we are playing was the top team in the league, but they lost in playoffs to the team we beat 6-3, hopefully we can kill em and take top seed.

http://ashl-richmond.stats.pointstreak.com/players-leagues-scoreboard.html

We're the Killa Bees.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

WouldDesk posted:

Moist Bushmen :golfclap:.

Beer league is 50% sexual innuendo names.

Busty Shafts, Donkey Punch, Cleveland Steamers ect.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Well we didn't win, but we 'won'

Down 4-2 in the late 3rd we scored twice to tie it up. The other team needed to beat us in regulation to move on so they pulled their goalie with 2 minutes left, and it was a pretty epic few minutes.

We ended up losing in the shoot out after a scoreless 5 minutes of 3 on 3 hockey (was lame) We also took a penalty during that time (which moved the game to 4 on 3).

Anyway we eliminated the top team in the division and took first seed going into the head to head games which start on Monday.

I also got 6 minutes of crap penalties in the 2nd. I got a 4 minute bodychecking penalty for shoving a guy infront of our net digging at the puck during a scramble, which is 100% a hockey play, just the guy was small and he went flying. The other penalty one of their guys chipped the puck past me along the boards and I stepped into his lane as he tried to squeeze past me and he tripped (another hockey play) and I got an interference penalty.

D C fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 3, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
gently caress yes, just won our semi-final game 2-0, completely shut down the second best team in the league.

Division final game on Friday and if we win that we go to the Canada-wide tournament.

I had to change my Thursday flight back to LA to Saturday so I could play, not missing that.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Topoisomerase posted:

Ugh the stick conversation. I have not been able to find a stick that works too well for me since I had a z-bubble as a teenager. Best I have is a junior CCM Octogun but the lie is still a bit off. Intermediate sticks are too tall (I'm 5'1") and end up being too stiff by the time I cut them down, even the whippiest ones. Junior sticks are so drat light and never have a good lie. Seems like nothing anyone makes is really appropriate.

Annoying. :argh:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I dont go down to block shots in beer league, playoffs or not, I'd rather be in position to make a play after the shot. It's just not worth the possible pain.

On the other hand, if I'm shooting, I'm shooting, if a guy wants to throw his body infront of my shot then that's on him.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I had a guy dive head-first in front of one of my shots one time. The puck clanged right off his cage between the eyes and he was woozy for a few seconds. The shot came from the corner on the goal line too. It was pretty :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure I broke a guys foot last season, left the game and he wasnt there the next time we played them.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Petit.Conan posted:

So I'm 6'4" and I would like to buckle down a get a pair of better quality sticks.

I hate however, putting those wood shaft extensions. I find they kind of mess with the balance and flex.

Back in the wood days some companies would make taller wood sticks for guys like me, does anyone do that now with the composites?

Hope you can find a shop near you that sells pro-return sticks, its the only way ive found.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Hooray. Memorial weekend hockey tourney in Scottsdale. Probably going to get beat handily but I'm just glad I was able to make it.

Wish me luck

Ohh and I got a Warrior Widow, first time I've tried a warrior stick but it feels nice, also it's the perfect height without adding a butt end.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Late responding, just got back from Phoenix and I'm absolutely wiped.

Won our first 2 game Friday and Saturday night, I played pretty badly trying to get the rust off.

Then we played Sunday morning, against a team of lower 20 year olds from Flagstaff, they came out cocky and went up 2-0 really quickly, but we came back and took them to OT and lost 4-3. That made them 3-0 and us 2-1, so we had to play another game that night against the other 2-1 team in the semifinal game.

We won the semi final game in OT although we should have beaten them pretty handily but we were tired and playing down to their slower pace.

We had to play the young team again in the finals on Monday, they were up 1-0 into the second when one of their guys punched me in the face infront of our net, he got a penalty, and on the ensuing powerplay I got a nice cross ice pass from the other D and ripped a shot that hit the goalie in the side of the mask/shoulder area and poped over and into the net.

The game was tied 2-2 with a minute left when our two fastest players got 2 consecutive 2 on 1s and the second time was the charm and the puck just trickled past their goalie, the goal scorer was being mugged but still got a piece of the puck.

Was a really fun tournie but man am I feeling it now. Ohh and I got 9 penalties in 2 games against the Flagstaff team, although in the second game 3 of those were taking the other guy to the box as well, I was a little worried because 6 penalties is a game ejection.

Ohh and the Warrior Widow stick, a little flexier then I'm used too, but it is a wrist/snap shot cannon, and I got a pretty decent slapper out of it too, and the flexability didn't effect my passing or stickhandling as much as I expected.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Lawnie posted:

I would go for the nicer, not mesh version, myself.

More videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJLZ1j5yEOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zzI1VjtC-Q

Better, I think, but it looks like I'm doing something... wrong with my hands just before release.

Bend your knees more, and you need to transfer your weight more as well, I think you're relying too much on your arms for your power.

You really need to lean into the shot.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Stainless steel blades shouldnt rust :gonk:

I've been using the same steels (Lightspeed2) since I was 19, so uhh, 6 years now in my last 3 pairs of skates, I keep soakers on them 24/7 and there isnt a spot of rust.

Just dont get the cheap colored soakers cause they can stain your holders and it looks crappy.

D C fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 10, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I was screening the net today (roller hockey) and the idiot on my team with the puck winds up a full slap shot from the top of the circles and nails me square in the chest.

Thats not how you score on a screened goalie :gonk:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Toothpaste is the best!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Verman posted:

I thought the baking soda/ingredients in tooth paste actually contain a small abrasive which would eventually cloud or dull your visor over time? I could be completely wrong.

I usually have to buy a new visor every year or so anyway due to scratches and scuffs anyway.

I dont really have a fogging issue either.

The last visor i bought had some sort of sticky poo poo all on the inside, spent weeks trying to rub it off and it would just get covered in tiny towel lints, finally went at it with a cleaning wipe and got it off this week.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Chemmy posted:

A banana and sudafed.

A banana, a redbull, and ephedrine.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Dangerllama posted:

Yes, this is lace bite. And it can come from something very minor inflaming the tendon, which then requires a gently caress-ton (the technical term) of time to heal. I went through roughly the same thing as you about a year ago. I injured the tendon somehow, and from then on I couldn't lace up without pain in the top set of eyelets.

Here's the fix: Bunga Pads. I can't recommend these enough for helping lace bite.

I get something worse with my TotalOnes... its like Ankle burns. On the front of the ankle bone on both feet gets rubbed bleeding raw almost every time I skate, then it will stop for a while, long enough for it to heal and then out of nowhere, more blood and pain, I cant for the loving life of me figure out what is causing it, I've started to use big extra strength bandaids preemptively over where it happens but it still hurts.

Same size as the last 3 pairs of my top level Bauers, Supreme 8090, Vapor XXXX, and the TotalOnes are all 10EE, and the last pair is the only Bauer skate thats given me any sort of discomfort.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Febreez doesnt do anything.

Your gear just ends up smelling like Spring Fresh Stank.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Surfing Turtle posted:

Hey guys I need your opinion.

Which one would you pick http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=EQ2SP or http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=SP4

:smugdog:
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=SP53

For lyfe :regd10:

D C fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 24, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

shyguy posted:

Came here to post these. Even when I was still playing contact I wore a pair similar to this.

Yeah I gave up my flack vest when I started playing Midgets, they got in the way.

These are great, not much protection, but not once in 8 years have I wished I had more padding. Maybe it helps that I'm a big guy I dont know, but I cant imagine using anything else anymore.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

cenzo posted:

Finally -- I did ask the guys that I just started playing with about wheels... they told me just to piss on my wheels to make them more sticky. Has anyone heard of this, or am I being trolled? Pretty sure no matter what I won't be doing this, but it was worth asking.

Just clean them.

Also I still stand by Labeda Grippers, or Millenium Grippers.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Dangerllama posted:

Today I learned the Zamboni was invented in California

:eng101:

There's still an original in Paramount at the rink.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Aniki posted:

I looked for those when I was at the hockey ahop today, but they didn't have them. I ended up buying a brand called Howies, they were unwaxed, but had a molded tip, which doesn't seem prone to breaking like the plastic aglets did. I'm now 1-0 wearing the clown colored skate laces.

I havent had aglet problems in the last few years at all, and I pull out my top two lace holes after every skate. I'm pretty sure it's due to the molded tip on the waxed laces I buy.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
A lot of those guys with stupid skill that show up to drop ins and what not might have the skill for the NHL, but lack important things such as size, and especially the head for hockey.

A lot of them I've run into are douches as well.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Just go straight to ice.

This, it's easier to go from ice to roller then the other way around. inline can give you some bad habits.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Gio posted:

I got a buddy of mine to pick up ice and he still has trouble pulling off a hockey stop. And for whatever reason (I can think of a couple), people who only play inline growing up don't bother to learn how to skate backward.

There is no defense in roller hockey.

Also can always tell the 'roller daddies' on ice because they pick up the toe of their inside foot while turning.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Verman posted:

That rink looks really smooth but how is it playing on wood? I've always played on sport court which allows you to hockey stop to a degree, but the wood seems like it would be sticky.

It is grippy, but in a good way, there was a rink near my parents that had wood floors, the sealant or whatever the coat it with is pretty nice, really smooth, moreso then the tiles.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
He's allowed to get in your way. If you have your head down and skate into him that is your fault. If he stepped into you and layed his shoulder or arms into you then that is a penalty.

Also, if he's a better / more experienced skater then you, wether or not he's ready for the contact theres a good chance that he'll still be standing, I get run into a lot (especially in roller hockey) accidental or not I rarely get knocked down.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

coldwind posted:

It's very hard to "accidentally" cross check somebody.

If you have two hands on your stick and arent paying attention then all of a sudden someone is running into you, the first reaction is to put your hands up, which happen to be holding a hockey stick in a cross checking motion.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

real_scud posted:

God that made me laugh.

While I used to be able to play roller hockey as a kid in similar weather (near 100F with 95% humidity) I can't imagine trying to do it now that I'm older and not so stupid.

The roller rink in Corona, CA, now called Anaheim Ducks Rinks Corona or something is so bad in the summer.

Big warehouse building in inland CA, when its 110 outside you sweat getting dressed, and the whole place is stuffy and gross, even with the warehouse doors open and the swamp coolers going, they had fans at the end of each bench that barely helped...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Thel posted:

Is flamingo where they dodge out of the way of an incoming slapper?

It's when you stand up to block a shot and at the last second lift a leg out of the way because you get scared, so you are not only screening the goalie with your entire body, but only blocking your shin gard's width of the shot.

[edit]

Or this.