Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
But for real, this is a good example:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Martytoof posted:

Yes, this too. If you're going to screen me, at least stand there and don't get out of the way at the last possible second :mad:

By the way, if I bring my gear to the Hammer this xmas you up for playing?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
What blows me away is that theres people here playing together all over the place, but no one in Vancouver, I guess every here is too busy eating sushi and hiking or something.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Angry Asian posted:

Hey, I like sushi and hiking... :(

I used to play a lot of ball hockey but I'm finally taking the leap and learning how to skate. Still having issues hockey stopping on my weak side though, and backwards crossovers are giving me nightmares. Can't wait til september rolls by though because open skate at richmond ice center runs from 9am til 3pm so i have lots of time to work on things.

Still need to grab my own gear though and money's pretty tight, you have any idea where to get good used gear around the greater vancouver area?

Oh poo poo, yeah I was gonna say if you were up for some help I live 10 minutes from RIC. They have stick and puck from 9am to 3pm monday thru friday.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

dyn posted:

Many beer leagues don't enforcement much equipment requirements anyway so a bare-minimum helmet without any visor is needed. I wear a visor but I would highly recommend anyone just starting out to wear the full outfit including cage and neck guard.

This.

It's been said a lot before but I'll reiterate. At lower skill levels, especially beginner leagues you'll be falling a lot, so will everyone else, people wont be able to get out of the way quickly or have the body control to avoid hitting you or stepping on you, or falling on you.

Same goes with sticks, the lower the level the higher chance you have of being high sticked because people havent learned how to control their sticks properly.

It still happens at the higher levels as well, but not near as much.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Am I the only one who hates the change of high end glove material to nylon?

Ever since I was a kid nylon gloves meant they were cheap, why in the last 5 years or so did that reverse?

I'm using a pair of mid range Eastons right now because they are leather(synthetic obv but still), and my next pair of gloves I'm going to have to special order some Warriors to get them in leather.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
True story:

I was wearing my first pair (and brand new) of Eagles when I broke my wrist. I couldn't take them off because i was supporting my wrist inside of them at the hospital. When the nurse offered to cut them off I yelled at her and we found a way to get them off without cutting them.

At that point I think I'd rather they cut my arm off before the gloves.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
10 days until the Killabees first game and I havent been on the ice in a month. I'm hosed.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Aniki posted:

I just purchased a puck bag and 15 pucks for my team. Is there anything else that I need to bring as a captain? I know that the captain for the other team that I play on always brings a first aid kit with aspirin and antacid tablets, so I assume that I should bring something similar.

Water bottles?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

9/11 Never Forget

:cry:

e: I hope that's not obscenely huge. I did it from my phone...

It broke itself so it didnt have to wear that tape job anymore

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Verman posted:

Welp thats it. We won our inline league championship.

We played our semi final game last night at 7 and won 12-6. We then played the championship game at 9 and won 7-4. I was completely surprised by the outcome of the season considering we were a brand new team. We're thinking that we will probably move up to gold next season since this year wasn't as challenging as we could have handled. On a dork note, its the first championship I've ever won.

We took the beach barrel to the bar with us afterward and had a victory party. The bar that sponsors us even threw in a bottle of champagne.

My liver hurts today.

And yes we drank from the cup. What beer league inline hockey team wouldn't if they had the chance?

So that's what Turco has been doing

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
So I got new gloves today, first game of the season is late tonight.

They feel so nice, and they aren't all cloth which I like. they uhh, fit like gloves?

5 minutes after buying the gloves I get a call that I need to be on the next flight to LA for work.

Damnit.

In other news, I pre-ordered some Vapor x7.0 LE's yesterday. I'm finally giving up on my TotalOnes, they just rip up my ankles too much.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Green Submarine posted:

Wear them. The TSA loves hockey players.

They won't let me on the plane with them, they are weapons.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Acethomas posted:

What size are you using on those TO's eh eh?

10EE Anyone want them cheap?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

cenzo posted:

What size hub are you looking to use? If your bearings are micro-hubs I'd go Labeda Dynasty III Grippers (D3)... they're cheaper than the Addiction but tackier than the Standard Grippers. If you're using a standard hub I'd go Millenium Grippers which are also better than just straight Grippers. I just have a thing for Labeda wheels.

On that same surface that you're playing on, I'm using Millenium Grippers, 76A. InlineWarehouse even has some sweet limited edition white ones at the same price. I've used both the aforementioned recommendations, but wound up changing my bearing size (swiss elites, hooray) and went from the Dynasty IIIs to the Milleniums. Both worked really well for me playing 2x a week for over a year.

This, Grippers or Millenium Grippers, I always try new wheels and end up going back to the Labedas.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bewbies posted:

You seem really angry about this. I would say you should pick a fight with a guy who doesn't wear a cage but that really isn't very sporting.

I chuckle when a guy grabs another guys cage and ragdolls him around.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Gio posted:

Yeah, can't say I always have the greatest of control. I love it when I try and shoot a "half slap shot" (where my stick only comes back to my knee caps or so with a slow 'swing') from the point--intending to keep it low and relatively slow--and it ends up sailing chest high. :downs:

Height is determined like 95% by the followthrough. if you open the face of the blade it will (or should if you are shooting properly) go up, closed blade it stays on the ice.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
My loving hip.

Won a tough fought game, we were down 4-0 and ended up winning 5-4.

Small skilled guy (strong on his skates) submarined me infront of my own net with like 5 seconds remaining in the game. I was skating from the dot to the opposite end corner and he backed up and hip checked me, caugh his hip right in my thigh/hip area, and then he helped me up, I wanted to hit him so bad.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Just got an email that my Vapor X7.0 LE's are with UPS, supposed to be delivered on tomorrow! Just in time for me to miss my Thursday game because of work!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Habibi posted:

Now that is living.

My college team coach once brought us a keg.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
THEY CAME!

Like $2,000 in skates, ugh.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Petit.Conan posted:

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to Graf. I want to love them but I just can't get comfortable in a pair.

The thing about Grafs is that the higher numbers arent necessarily the better skates, every one of their models is designed to fit differently.

I used to sell them and that was the hardest thing to explain to people.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
6'4 and I use 15" old Easton Z-Air's , over the tongue.

Just thought about it and I got a pair of the same shin guards in 14" when I was in Bantams, so I've been using the same kind of shin guard for 10 years, I think I got the 15" around the same time but they were too big then, I still use the 14"s for roller sometimes.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Habibi posted:

Went up to block a shot in my roller game last night - I play D but our forwards were just all over the place that game so I had somehow ended up covering the point - and being about 10 feet away as he wound up, the shinguard placement discussion briefly flashed through my head.... And then the puck hit the inside of my right ankle. Shinguard wouldn't have done a drat thing, but ow.

Of course, earlier in the game the same player had put a wrist shot off of my tender inner thigh, right between the chunks of padding, and about 2 inches down from my nutsack. Stung like a bitch.

Losing made it hurt even more. :(

In the last week I've taken a slapshot off the back of me calf, a clearing shot off the inside/back of my thigh and a shot off the outside of my ankle, I feel your pain.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

gigabitnokie posted:

Over/Under on percentage of Cage Advocates(tm) that do not wear a neck guard set at 90%.

I'd say 99%

Also wrist/slash guards, skate covers, kevlar socks, Cascade helmets...

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

zinc68 posted:

Getting a stick shaft to the back of the arm, DOES NOT FEEL WELL.

Pretty much goes from just above the elbow, to just before my armpit.

Do you have that thing where you bruise really easily? Cause jesus gently caress man, how did you get hit that hard there?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

zinc68 posted:

Nah, I stepped on a stick near the bench and fell straight back. My left arm swung up, and then straight down. The stick I stepped on ripped out of the guys hand, the butt end hit the top of the boards by the bench and stayed up there. My skate was still on the blade of the stick, and as I fell back, the bottom of my bicep / armpit took almost all of the impact, directly onto the stick.

I don't wear shoulder pads to non-checking hockey (they wouldn't have saved me here anyways) and was using my jofa prostock elbow/forearm pads. Pretty much it was just the worst possible place that I could have fallen besides my face.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

The basics:

http://howtohockey.com/how-to-take-a-slap-shot

I'm completely terrible at them because my strength is still poo poo and I use a wood stick.

Slap shots are 99% leg strength and weight transfer. If you have the technique down you dont need much strength.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I can use 100 flex-ish sticks for a season or two, 87flex-ish sticks I wear out after a few months.

I never break sticks though It's kinda strange, maybe I'm just lucky? I replace sticks because I wear them out or the blades separate, but I can probably count on one hand how many sticks I've snapped since I started playing.

Also my dad started me out when I was 7 with a cut down Senior Easton aluminum, talk about a girder.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

WouldDesk posted:

I loved those things. I would walk into a sporting goods store and just marvel at the row of sexiness.

I wish they could somehow make carbon sticks that shiny and awesome.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Thufir posted:

You know, if it works on your foot.

By the way, I absolutely love mine, so much better to skate in then the TotalOnes

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

WouldDesk posted:

Get a cage and cut it. Better if you already own one. It gives better visibility than a visor and does not collect fog/ice spray. They own :colbert:

Except they are heavier and will make your helmet lean forwards all the time.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

If it's anything like my adult learn to play, it's more like herding cows. They do demonstrate the fundamentals and set up drills to exercise them, but there is absolutely no 1 on 1 instruction going on. If you start with bad technique, you're probably going to end with bad technique.

It's entirely up to the student to figure the details out.. which why I try to ask so many questions here.

The questions are good for me too, I hardly remember learning to skate or shoot, and answering questions make me think about how to do it properly, kinda revisiting old lessons.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
best way to judge skate size is to put the skate on loose, then tap your toe so your foot slides all the way forward, and you can see the gap behind your heel, anything less then a fingers width should be alright, its a lot easier to judge that way then to try and guess where your toes are.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Dangerllama posted:

Just remember: A luxury, once sampled, becomes a necessity.

THIS, my pro-deals on CCM Vector sticks ruined me when I was 17, I cant use anything but 1 piece sticks now.

And skates, the pro-deal 8090s I got for $150 put me in a new skate bracket and now I cant go back.

Corner Gas had an episode about it, where one character brings some nice wine for dinner and they end up not being able to drink their gallon jugs of wine anymore, so they try and get her back but keep failing.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Awesome Animals posted:

I think that's why I cling to my Grip-lite shaft and my eight year old Easton Inferno skates. Once that shaft is gone, I pretty much only have the option of moving onto the expensive one-piece sticks. And they don't even make my line of skates anymore :(.

I spent $700 on sticks last week, bought the last 3 Warrior Widows in the curve/flex I use from Warrior Canada, I hate myself.

The sticks are soooooo good though.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

2 vs however many you have in SJ sounds like a p. terrible pickup game!

If you dudes ever need an extra person for a tournament or something let me know. I have friends in SF/SJ that I should visit and a hockey trip would be a good excuse.

I'm in for Team SoCal Goon.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

trilljester posted:

D C is so good, he counts for 2 people vs. us SJ goons.

I'm fat and out of shape :smith:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
My parents live in Chino Hills, I split time between there and Vancouver, I have a full set of gear in their garage :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
That happened to my team last week. We usually play a pretty solid responsible game since we dont have the best skaters.

Came up against a good team that skates well, and we let them run around and chased them around like a pack of 5 year olds, got tired in the second period and they just walked all over us.

It's painful.